Paradigm vs Klipsch vs NOT upgrade. Please help. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By altpensacola

post #1 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile Paradigm vs Klipsch vs NOT upgrade. Please help.

Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded my receiver and sub woofer. The receiver is from Denon E400 to Anthem 720 and sub is from Mirage S10 to JL E100. The sound is improved a lot after the upgrade. Now I'm also considering to upgrade my other speakers because I feel the sound is still not as good as what I got when I was in the dealers show room. The dealer used the same receiver and sub but different other speakers.

My current 7 speakers are Energy C500 x2 + Energy C-C100 + Energy C50 x4. Quite old, but the sound is still good. I went to the dealer for the speaker upgrading suggestion and asked for speakers which can utilize the power of 720 best. The dealer suggested the following two sets.

1. Paradigm Premier 800F + 600C + Surround 3.
2. KLIPSCH RP8000F + RP504C + RP502S.

Both sets may cost me about 5k in Canada. The Klipsch may be a little cheaper.

As I also listen all kinds of music, movie vs music maybe 50% vs 50%, I prefer the Paradigm because I heard Klipsch is just for movies. Am I right?
And another question is if I upgrade either of these two sets, will the sound be improved significantly comparing to my current Energy set? Is it worth to spend the 5K?
Or maybe you have better suggestion? Someone suggested Paradigm 75F to replace 800F in another thread posted by other guy.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7436 Post(s)
Liked: 5677
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqhu View Post
Or maybe you have better suggestion?
$5K seems a bit steep, when you can get these excellent speakers for a lot less which your Anthem receiver will drive beautifully:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers

Emotiva is based in the US but does ship free UPS to Canada; contact them for a quote that includes Canadian duties/customs. Their cabinets are nowhere as pretty as Klipsch or Paradigm's but if sound not looks is your priority then they would be a much better bang for the buck. I would especially recommend the C2 center with whatever towers you pick.

PS. Since you now have an excellent sub you don't really need to pick the towers with the biggest possible woofers.
Out-Of-Phase likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

As I also listen all kinds of music, movie vs music maybe 50% vs 50%,....... I heard Klipsch is just for movies. Am I right?

Thanks
No.
drh3b likes this.

Music, more music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Since you are coming from Energy, the Paradigm would be a more similar sound character (neutral). The Klipsch are definitely tuned differently. Listen before you purchase...

That said, neither will sound the same in your room, as the room contributes a lot to the sound reproduction. You should probably consider the room treatments in your space first before looking at speaker upgrades. You'll want a mixture of absorption and diffusion... An in home trial is probably a good idea in your case...

Further, if you choose to upgrade to the Paradigm, I'd consider just upgrading the front 3 as the Energy surrounds should match well enough to do a good job, but I'm of the opinion that the surrounds don't need to be an exact timbre match to the front stage. Others definitely disagree and that's ok too...

To be honest though, I'd do room treatments and a second sub before anything else... it will smooth out the bass response and allow better blending into your mains, as well as maximize any speaker sound in your space...

Good luck!

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
post #5 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 3470 Post(s)
Liked: 2933
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded my receiver and sub woofer. The receiver is from Denon E400 to Anthem 720 and sub is from Mirage S10 to JL E100. The sound is improved a lot after the upgrade. Now I'm also considering to upgrade my other speakers because I feel the sound is still not as good as what I got when I was in the dealers show room. The dealer used the same receiver and sub but different other speakers.

My current 7 speakers are Energy C500 x2 + Energy C-C100 + Energy C50 x4. Quite old, but the sound is still good. I went to the dealer for the speaker upgrading suggestion and asked for speakers which can utilize the power of 720 best. The dealer suggested the following two sets.

1. Paradigm Premier 800F + 600C + Surround 3.

Both sets may cost me about 5k in Canada. The Klipsch may be a little cheaper.

As I also listen all kinds of music, movie vs music maybe 50% vs 50%, I prefer the Paradigm because I heard Klipsch is just for movies. Am I right?
And another question is if I upgrade either of these two sets, will the sound be improved significantly comparing to my current Energy set? Is it worth to spend the 5K?
Or maybe you have better suggestion? Someone suggested Paradigm 75F to replace 800F in another thread posted by other guy.

Thanks

Klipsch are highly praised for HT use, but can do well musically. Hard rock & metal are well suited for them, but not limited to that genre. Since you got yourself a good sub and hi-end AVR, you could go with smaller bookshelf speakers and step up to next level in SQ. Kef LS50, PSB imagine, Paradigm Prestige 15b to name a few.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 679
I have a Paradigm Prestige setup, and I suggest going with the 15B bookshelf speakers and the big 55C centre.
Paradigm and Anthem is a match made in heaven...
post #7 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2860 Post(s)
Liked: 1826
Quote:
I you want towers, the 85F is considered the sweet-spot in the Prestige tower lineup. These are great speakers. If your dealer also is a Totem Acoustic dealer, do yourself a favor and listen to them. They might be more than you want to spend, but just do yourself a favor.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
I have a Paradigm Prestige setup, and I suggest going with the 15B bookshelf speakers and the big 55C centre.
Paradigm and Anthem is a match made in heaven...
Also a good suggestion. Save some $$$ on the towers, invest the 55C - it is a wonderful, albeit pricey, center channel speaker.

Other good suggestions here like using your existing Energy speakers for surrounds, and a second sub! Sure, matching is IDEAL, but not always practical or affordable. I myself run "mismatched" speakers as surrounds, and they are awesome. I further mismatch with my Atmos speakers....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page