Help! I have a pair of Martin Logan ElectroMotion speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-07-2019, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Help! I have a pair of Martin Logan ElectroMotion speakers

The value of these beasts are over $4,000 but something really awful happened to them. I keep everything neat and clean but then they became infested with bed bugs! (A used vacuum cleaner looks to be the culprit)I cannot use pesticides on them. I cannot use extreme heat.

Neither pest control nor the manufacturer could help me out as it is unfamiliar grounds. I'm not throwing them out either. This is the absolute worst thing that could have happened to these speakers. The only thing I can think of is sealing them up in bubble wrap, then plastic and keeping them in storage for a year until they die off. How I regret placing these speakers in my room!!

Has anyone gone through such a situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-07-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Wow!!! Do you think maybe takeing them outside and use a blower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-07-2019, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSensible View Post
The value of these beasts are over $4,000 but something really awful happened to them. I keep everything neat and clean but then they became infested with bed bugs! (A used vacuum cleaner looks to be the culprit)I cannot use pesticides on them. I cannot use extreme heat.

Neither pest control nor the manufacturer could help me out as it is unfamiliar grounds. I'm not throwing them out either. This is the absolute worst thing that could have happened to these speakers. The only thing I can think of is sealing them up in bubble wrap, then plastic and keeping them in storage for a year until they die off. How I regret placing these speakers in my room!!

Has anyone gone through such a situation?
You might want to research this brand and if there are side effects on the electrostatic. Nuvan Prostrips. It's the only product I see made for electronics hope it helps

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-07-2019, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Plastic cover and put in dry ice to suffocate the buggers
post #5 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You could try something like this...

Bed bugs are predators, like the flea. They NEED blood to survive. If they could be placed somewhere clean and the entire surrounding (non-carpeted floor they are sitting on...) treated with a heavy dose of Temprid, they will leave the speaker in search of food and die from contact with the Temprid treatment.

Bed bugs are attracted to heat and CO2 mainly.
You might need to put the speakers somewhere cool and then put a heat source a few feet away to draw them out.

Drawing them out is ideal to just sealing them and letting them die inside the speaker.

This will probably take a little while, but it will be the least drastic solution I could think up...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

From what I gathered, it is actually rare to have bed bugs living inside speakers but I saw skin shells, fecal matter (black dots) and a few eggs. So that means they're hiding.

But because of the design of the speakers and their tiny grooves sort of like a honeycombs, they made their nest!
I'm going to try out those Nuvan pro strips.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked: 1895
Quote:
From what I gathered, it is actually rare to have bed bugs living inside speakers but I saw skin shells, fecal matter (black dots) and a few eggs. So that means they're hiding.

But because of the design of the speakers and their tiny grooves sort of like a honeycombs, they made their nest!
I'm going to try out those Nuvan pro strips.
you should check your surrounding areas as well .. bed bugs are no joke .. my parents basically went broke while trying to do "conventional" treatment .. call your local health dept and ask if you can have the speakers treated .. as well as any other furniture in that area of the house.. when you say "fecal matter", what type? bed bugs don't "poop" they secrete blood .. so if you are seeing piles of poop it probably is roaches or other bugs...edit : also is anybody in the house getting bitten(usually red dots in groups of 3) ?..if not it's likely not bed bugs...2nd edit: you say "i'm not going to throw out the speakers" ..you may well change your mind after having bed bugs for an extended time .. unless of course you don't mind being dinner .. another thing to consider .. it's not widely known what disease bed bugs carry, but it's inevitable they will or do already .. think mosquito's and west nile virus ...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in

Last edited by Lp85253; 12-08-2019 at 11:56 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I checked my surroundings and found nothing, which is why I was shocked. They decided to live inside the Martin Logans! And yes when I said fecal matter I meant these little black dots that are actually dried blood. You can look it up online, It's horrible.

edit: Yes, nasty red bite marks in rows of 3's on my arms and neck.

Last edited by CaptainSensible; 12-08-2019 at 10:23 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked: 1895
Quote:
Yeah, I checked my surroundings and found nothing, which is why I was shocked. They decided to live inside the Martin Logans! And yes when I said fecal matter I meant these little black dots that are actually dried blood. You can look it up online, It's horrible.
i already know more than i ever wanted to about bed bugs .. i wasn't kidding about contacting your local health dept...that's what my parent's finally did that actually got rid of them.. they spread like wildfire ... and are asexual( don't need a breeding partner)..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page