7.1 or 5.1.2 for my new house (drawings included)? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By sdurani
  • 1 Post By Rex Anderson
  • 1 Post By sdurani
  • 1 Post By sdurani
  • 1 Post By Rex Anderson
  • 1 Post By Rex Anderson
  • 1 Post By sdurani

post #1 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
7.1 or 5.1.2 for my new house (drawings included)?

Hello everyone,

I recently moved to a new house and I need help deciding if 5.1.2 ATMOS or 7.1 is better for my room and set-up.
I have KEF 7.1 e305+e301 speakers (eggs) and a Marantz NR1606 receiver. My room is square-ish 4.8 x 4 meters as shown in the pictures. What situation is better as shown in the pictures?

I can only mount the speakers to the walls. I don't have in-ceiling speakers. Just 7 eggs and 1 subwoofer.
Help would be very appreciated!

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Situation 1 (ATMOS 5.1.2).png
Views:	41
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	2652130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Situation 2 (7.1 Surround).png
Views:	36
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	2652132  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9548 Post(s)
Liked: 6589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrawww View Post
Hello everyone,

I recently moved to a new house and I need help deciding if 5.1.2 ATMOS or 7.1 is better for my room and set-up.
I have KEF 7.1 e305+e301 speakers (eggs) and a Marantz NR1606 receiver. My room is square-ish 4.8 x 4 meters as shown in the pictures. What situation is better as shown in the pictures?

I can only mount the speakers to the walls. I don't have in-ceiling speakers. Just 7 eggs and 1 subwoofer.

Thank you!
I would do 5.1.2.
Yellbean likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 7463 Post(s)
Liked: 6587
With your sofa against the back wall, there is no way to do an effective 7.1 layout (no space behind you for the Rear speakers). Better to stick with a 5.1 base layer with a single pair of surrounds in the back corners.

Use the remaining two speakers in the height layer: mounted on the side walls, directly to the sides of the listeners, as high up as possible, tilted down and aimed towards the listener at the opposite end of the couch).

BTW, can you move your sofa a couple feet forward?
Rex Anderson likes this.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
With your sofa against the back wall, there is no way to do an effective 7.1 layout (no space behind you for the Rear speakers). Better to stick with a 5.1 base layer with a single pair of surrounds in the back corners. Use the remaining two speakers in the height layer: mounted on the side walls, directly to the sides of the listeners, as high up as possible, tilted down and aimed towards the listener at the opposite end of the couch). BTW, can you move your sofa a couple feet forward?

I have given the same advice to a few folks recently, move the couch forward, get it off the rear wall. My room is about 16 feet from front wall to back wall. My front L/R speakers are 9' 7" apart, thus to form an equilateral triangle, my ears are 9' 7" from the front L/R speakers. Revel F208 L/R, C208 center and F206 rear L/R surround. My head is at 38% of the room length from the back wall (62% of the length from the front wall).

https://realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1059.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	877.4 KB
ID:	2652202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1136.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2652204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1134.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	2652206  
sdurani likes this.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 12-10-2019 at 03:39 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 03:53 PM

Nice layout, Rex. I would pull the centre speaker slightly forward so that it just overhangs the edge of the equipment cabinet.
Rex Anderson likes this.

Sanjay
post #6 of 12 Old 12-11-2019, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
With your sofa against the back wall, there is no way to do an effective 7.1 layout (no space behind you for the Rear speakers). Better to stick with a 5.1 base layer with a single pair of surrounds in the back corners.

Use the remaining two speakers in the height layer: mounted on the side walls, directly to the sides of the listeners, as high up as possible, tilted down and aimed towards the listener at the opposite end of the couch).

BTW, can you move your sofa a couple feet forward?
Unfortunately i cannot move my sofa forward (it blocks acces to my garden). I am going with your advice for a 5.1.2 Atmos settup. So if I have understand correctly. The surround speakers at the corners and the remaining 2 speakers to the sides (as high as possible tilted towards the opposite end of the couch).

I will be done in 2-3 days. I will post the final results here.

Thank you!
post #7 of 12 Old 12-11-2019, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Definitely 5.1.2 since you can't move the couch off the back wall and I would try mounting the surrounds on the side walls a bit over ear/head height and point them directly at the opposite wall (this was an early recommendation for 5.1 setups)

Then mount the heights also on the side walls (as high as possible of course) just slightly forward of the listening positions and (as mentioned) aimed at the opposite side listening position.

And you may want to mount the heights 90deg sideways so the dispersion pattern is now panning across the room L to R (along the seats) instead of Front to Back.

Experiment with positioning if you can, to see what works best in your room.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-11-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
So if I have understand correctly. The surround speakers at the corners and the remaining 2 speakers to the sides (as high as possible tilted towards the opposite end of the couch).
Exactly. Any pair of speakers will typically create phantom imaging between them. It will be no different for the pair of height speakers mounted high up at your sides. Depending on the Atmos sound mix, you should hear imaging directly above you, floating between the two height speakers.
Rex Anderson likes this.

Sanjay
post #9 of 12 Old 12-11-2019, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7706 Post(s)
Liked: 5853
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you!
Regardless of your room dimensions, there is seldom ANY significant reason to do 7 speakers when most content remains natively engineered for 5.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #10 of 12 Old 12-11-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice layout, Rex. I would pull the center speaker slightly forward so that it just overhangs the edge of the equipment cabinet.
Thanks for the compliment and suggestion Sanjay. I'll try it to see if I hear any difference. It looks a little funny when it's forward and I don't hear any bounce off the AV cabinet now, it's tilted up slightly. Always open to suggestions though! Note the ATI AT4003 amp for the front L/C/R.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1066.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2652580  
sdurani likes this.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 12-11-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-13-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Exactly. Any pair of speakers will typically create phantom imaging between them. It will be no different for the pair of height speakers mounted high up at your sides. Depending on the Atmos sound mix, you should hear imaging directly above you, floating between the two height speakers.
I watched "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" on Blu-Ray last night. My Lexicon processor defaulted to DTS-HD MA for playback. Very well mixed sound track. Lots of things imaged off to the sides on my 5.1 system. Good mix engineers placing things in the front and rear L/R channels so they appear as phantom side images for those of us who don't have 7.1 or 9.1 systems.

I'd like to watch the movie on a 9.1.4 system to see what they did with Atmos.
sdurani likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-14-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
I watched "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" on Blu-Ray last night. My Lexicon processor defaulted to DTS-HD MA for playback. Very well mixed sound track. Lots of things imaged off to the sides on my 5.1 system. Good mix engineers placing things in the front and rear L/R channels so they appear as phantom side images for those of us who don't have 7.1 or 9.1 systems.
I've noticed that in other Tarantino movies, like 'Django Unchained', where characters would walk off screen and their voices would follow (phantom imaging just outside one of the front speakers).
Rex Anderson likes this.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page