Near-Field Music System - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 211Likes

post #241 of 251 Old 02-10-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Iyengar View Post
Will do. I never heard these earlier until I connected the Xeo 10 by USB
Depending on what operating system you use, you can also adjust the volume of system sounds/notifications as well as control the volume of each application. This would allow you to play music at full volume, but keep all other computer apps and notifications at a much lower volume. That's how I have mine set up, so I can still be alerted, but it's not distractingly (is that a word?) loud.

For Windows, the instructions are here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...fec8854?auth=1
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
Advertisement

post #242 of 251 Old 02-10-2020, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd likely keep the Xeo 10 if there was a way to increase treble. Since EQ seems to be so important to me (i fiddle wiht the Sonos EQ all the time), I think a receiver is the way to go so i can set bass/treble exactly to my hearing profile.
Or you could look for powered speakers with bass/treble knobs on them, for example, Edifier S1000:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDIS6M0/ref=emc_b_5_i

Quote:
Seems to me, neutral is preferred by folks with normal hearing?
Eh, I think this varies greatly. There are plenty of people who love the traditional Klipsch sound. One would hope they're not all hearing impaired, but who knows?

For me, when I was a kid/teenager, I would crank up bass and treble pretty much to the max on my parents' old stereo. I thought an extreme V curve was what hi-fi was all about. Now that I'm in my 40s, maybe it's early onset of tinnitus or some other medical condition, but I prefer more neutral sounding top end, but I'm still a basshead, so I guess I like an L curve now. I'm OK with brighter speakers for TV/movies, but for extended music listening, especially near-field at my desk, I find brighter speakers fatiguing.

Then there is the overall volume aspect. Due to the way our ears work, at lower volume we don't perceive low and high frequencies as well as midrange frequencies. And so, if you crank the volume up, you might like the amount of highs and low, but when you turn the volume down, all of a sudden the highs and lows are lacking. And similarly, if you find speakers that have good amount of bass and treble at low volume, you might realize they become too bright at high volume. Some amps can compensate for these hearing quirks in our ears by applying some EQ at lower volumes. Your Denon AVR has "Dynamic EQ" function, for example, that does just that. And older amps had a button called "Loudness" that did something similar. It's possible that your X10 speakers have this function already built-in, not sure.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Pete7874; 02-10-2020 at 01:09 PM.
post #243 of 251 Old 02-10-2020, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, may this can also reduce all the loud system sounds I get when I hit backspace too many times when deleting something and reach the end of the line
Not sure. None of my computers make any sounds when pressing delete button too many times.

My 1986 Atari 800XL did that.

Advertisement

post #244 of 251 Old 02-10-2020, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I need exaggerated treble and mids.
Alternatively find speakers with weak bass instead. That would mean mids and highs would be dominating.

Quote:
Does Klipsch have exaggerated mids (women's voices and guitars)?
Not to my recollection, but it's been a while since I've listened to Klipsch speakers.

Quote:
I have a Sony AVR not Denon but it does have that dynamic EQ setting.
Sorry. I remember reading an older thread of yours mentioning you're getting the Denon.

Quote:
The Xeo 10 has no EQ function at all
It has no user-adjustable EQ, but my point was that it may be doing some EQ'ing on its own at lower volumes to compensate for the way our hearing works. I know some powered speakers do this, even though it's not specifically called out in any literature.

post #245 of 251 Old 02-11-2020, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9708 Post(s)
Liked: 6734
Quote:
Well, I've heard all about the Klipsch sound but after drinking the AVS Koolaid, I'm so scared of AVSers mocking me that I kept away from Klipsch even though I've never heard them. Now after my Xeo 10 experience, I think the bright Klipsch sound may be what I need after all. I need exaggerated treble and mids. My hearing for bass is perfect. Does Klipsch have exaggerated mids (women's voices and guitars)?

I have a Sony AVR not Denon but it does have that dynamic EQ setting. I turn it on but not sure I can tell the difference. I do use the loudness button on my Sonos and like it.

The Xeo 10 has no EQ function at all, I think because the transparency is their selling point. I found it bad for HT but very transparent/detailed for music, just not enjoyable.

Has anyone heard Klipsch The Sixes?? Maybe what I need.
Could be.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review

Product highlights:
Bluetooth® technology for music streaming with compatible devices
built-in phono preamp
each speaker features:
1" titanium tweeter matched with a Tractrix® horn
6-1/2" long-throw woofer
rear-firing bass-reflex port
frequency response: 40-20,000 Hz (-3dB)
built-in amplifier rated at 100 watts per channel
192kHz/24-bit DAC (digital to analog converter)
optical digital audio input (digital optical cable included)
2-channel PCM only
RCA stereo analog audio input (selectable Line in/Phono)
switch for selecting phono or line input
USB Type B input for connecting your Mac® or PC (USB A-to-USB B cable included)
stereo minijack input for portables (stereo minijack cable included)
tactile spun copper control knobs and switches
real wood veneer
RCA mono output for connecting an optional powered subwoofer
remote
requires AC power (AC adapter provided)
speaker dimensions: 8-5/8"W x 16-3/4"H x 11"D
weight: 17.74 lbs. (right speaker); 16 lbs. (left speaker)
warranty: 1 year

Geoff A. J., California
post #246 of 251 Old 02-11-2020, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 195
There is allways the kef ls50 wireless to try out if budget allows..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #247 of 251 Old 02-11-2020, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Depending on what operating system you use, you can also adjust the volume of system sounds/notifications as well as control the volume of each application. This would allow you to play music at full volume, but keep all other computer apps and notifications at a much lower volume. That's how I have mine set up, so I can still be alerted, but it's not distractingly (is that a word?) loud.

For Windows, the instructions are here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...fec8854?auth=1
This worked.
post #248 of 251 Old 02-12-2020, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9708 Post(s)
Liked: 6734
Quote:
Just read a hilarious review of the Vanatoo T1E at "https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/vanatoo-transparent-one-encore.7326/" and burst out laughing. This sounds like @doctors11 and me to the T! haha. No offence @doctors11 , I love you.
--
There’s not reallya thing as a good, “compact” floorstander line. All of these 6” woofer floor standers and three ways and “room-filling” bookshelves where the advertising blurbs have random old farts who listen to Diana Krall, string quartets, and Norah Jones go “I can’t believe there wasn’t a subwoofer!” Clearly have just never heard bass in their life. Techno and bassier metal and hardcore punk would make mincemeat of their setups. Not that 70s rock already isn’t but these farts aren’t cranking Deep Purple and Thin Lizzy to 90 dB; they’re putting on Dark Side of the Moon and Hotel California to flex their ****ty gear to other old farts.
--
And yet many of those old farts have subwoofers capable of extension below 20hz unlike whatever that nutcase is referring to.
doctors11 and Vikram Iyengar like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #249 of 251 Old 02-14-2020, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
OK the Xeo 10 definitely has the popping in the slave speaker. I was wondering if it was something I was doing or whether it was Google Play Music because the slave didn't pop the first 3 days I listened to mainly Tidal. It popped a bit every 20 min or so the 4th day when I played Google Play Music in the morning but did not pop with Netflix that afternoon. The 5th day it did not pop using Tidal. So I thought Google Music is the issue. Today it popped thrice within 20 min when playing nothing, speaker powered down while I'm working. It's random and caused by some interference. The problem is that in a modern home filled with electronics and WiFi in a bustling city, there's no way to control most of the interference for me. Sad because with the tweeters 2' from and pointed right at my ears, its a wonderful sound.
Sounds like the same script as my experience with the Xeo2's. Although I'm not in a city and try to keep EMF's to a minimum in my house. I'd keep going with your search for an alternative.

Sad I know. If they had the tech worked out, I'd bet they could sell a ton of 'em for under 1K. I really liked the sound for the short time they worked.

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5
post #250 of 251 Old 02-14-2020, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
A few years ago I wanted to upgrade my computer speakers and decided on the Adam A7X. They are connected to my Schitt Gungnir via Signal Cable XLRs, making for a great sounding set up.

https://www.adam-audio.com/en/ax-series/a7x/

https://www.schiit.com/products/gungnir

http://signalcable.com/silverresolutionxlr.html
post #251 of 251 Old 02-14-2020, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Did you add a sub? And do you use the RCA to XLR cable?
No, I never added a sub as they have enough low end for me. They do have matching sub(s?) for people that want an extended bass response and while I never heard them, I have to think the quality would be high.

As nearfield monitors are usually about precision and flat responses, I was really only looking for a nice "thump" without the risk of it getting muddy. However, if someone was going to use them for studio monitoring of music with deep bass, a sub would likely be necessary.

As for the cables, the Gungnir includes balanced outputs so the connection I went with is XLR to XLR. I imagine a RCA to XLR (or just RCA to RCA) would be fine though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page