Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SKS-HT870 vs Klipsch Setup

Hello all,

I currently have a SKS-HT870 set that came with my HTIB setup years ago, since then the receiver that has came with it died, and we moved to a new house.

I purchased a Onkyo TR-NR575 to replace the dead receiver and the kit speakers just don't seem to be filling the room. The Room is 18' deep and 20.5' wide. I project onto one of the 20.5' walls, and end up with about a 120" screen.

So with all the back story out of the way, I found a deal for a set of 2 Klipsch R-610F, pair of Klipsch R-41M Bookshelf Speakers, Klipsch R-52C Center Channel Speaker, Klipsch R-100SW 300W Subwoofer.

My main reservation about this system is the R-610f, with only a single driver will they be big enough to fill my room, my current L/R have 2 3 1/4" drivers?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9546 Post(s)
Liked: 6587
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeout View Post
Hello all,

I currently have a SKS-HT870 set that came with my HTIB setup years ago, since then the receiver that has came with it died, and we moved to a new house.

I purchased a Onkyo TR-NR575 to replace the dead receiver and the kit speakers just don't seem to be filling the room. The Room is 18' deep and 20.5' wide. I project onto one of the 20.5' walls, and end up with about a 120" screen.

So with all the back story out of the way, I found a deal for a set of 2 Klipsch R-610F, pair of Klipsch R-41M Bookshelf Speakers, Klipsch R-52C Center Channel Speaker, Klipsch R-100SW 300W Subwoofer.

My main reservation about this system is the R-610f, with only a single driver will they be big enough to fill my room, my current L/R have 2 3 1/4" drivers?

Thanks for the help.
Two 3.25" drivers have a cone area of about 15.5 sq/in, a single 6.5" main driver has a cone area of 33.2 sq/in.

Assuming you like the sound of the speakers they should play far louder than your current setup.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
the sensitivity of those Onkyo speakers is 79.5db which is very low.

the sensitivity of the Klipsch R41M is 90db. The sensitivity of the R-610F is 94db They will sound much much louder at the same volume levels.

also a 6.5" mid bass driver will play deeper and sound fuller than dual 3.25" drivers. It's not even a close comparison.

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7688 Post(s)
Liked: 5844
Quote:
I found a deal for a set of 2 Klipsch R-610F, pair of Klipsch R-41M Bookshelf Speakers, Klipsch R-52C Center Channel Speaker, Klipsch R-100SW 300W Subwoofer.
ok, let's cut to the chase how much of a deal?

In other words, what is the total maximum budget you are willing to spend for a new setup?

Folks can give you much more useful advice knowing that key piece of information.

Off the top of my head, I can tell you that if you're on a limited budget, just keep the mains from your old Onkyo system for use as surrounds, and put the bulk of your budget into the front 3 speakers. If HT/TV is your main usage not music, then focus on the CENTER speaker since that's what does 70-80% of the output.

But again, we need a concrete number to work with.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$700 for all of it.

I had been looking at a nice center channel, then I stumbled on this deal.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7688 Post(s)
Liked: 5844
Quote:
$700 for all of it.
I'd get 3 x Ascend 170SE for your front, go with their claimed "B-stock" (most likely just surplus A-stock) for $378:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Merch...ry_Code=BSTOCK

And then get the best subwoofer you can afford...if you can up your budget to this one it would be a worthwhile long term investment:
https://www.svsound.com/products/pb12-nsd

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 7 Old 12-13-2019, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9546 Post(s)
Liked: 6587
Quote:
$700 for all of it.

For 5.1 the two most important speakers are the center and the subwoofer and the subwoofer in your deal is not a "great" Home Theater sub at 150 watts RMS, 10" and 32hz extension.

Consider this center along with the subwoofer Zorba linked.

A hair above your total budget but the center and sub are head and shoulders better than the speakers in your deal.

https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Klipsch-...-Speaker-Ebony

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page