New construction. Help with home speaker setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-03-2020, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New construction. Help with home speaker setup

I have a new construction house and trying to setup my speaker system. I have a media closet that my pre wired speaker wires and hdmis are ran to. The plan : I have a Frame Samsung over fireplace in living room. Pre wired left and right channel speaker wired in the bookshelf’s on either side. I wanted to do Left and right bookshelf. With using the tv speaker at center channel “sort of” and a powered wireless sub. I also have two ceiling speakers on my porches for a Zone 2. And help on what receiver do I just need a 2 chAnnel? Or 5 to get 2 zoning. and recommmened speakers and sub and just overall how to set this system up would be greatly appreciated. Btw. I’m not using any external media devices. All streaming within the tv. So will be using the “arc” hdmi for Audi return. Thanks and please offer any advice or help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-03-2020, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10039 Post(s)
Liked: 7047
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggman08 View Post
I have a new construction house and trying to setup my speaker system. I have a media closet that my pre wired speaker wires and hdmis are ran to. The plan : I have a Frame Samsung over fireplace in living room. Pre wired left and right channel speaker wired in the bookshelf’s on either side. I wanted to do Left and right bookshelf. With using the tv speaker at center channel “sort of” and a powered wireless sub. I also have two ceiling speakers on my porches for a Zone 2. And help on what receiver do I just need a 2 chAnnel? Or 5 to get 2 zoning. and recommmened speakers and sub and just overall how to set this system up would be greatly appreciated. Btw. I’m not using any external media devices. All streaming within the tv. So will be using the “arc” hdmi for Audi return. Thanks and please offer any advice or help.
I wouldn't bother using the TV speakers.

This gives you a second zone and the option to add a slim center channel like the one below, but wait till it goes on sale as they do several times per year.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXS...019-model.html

https://www.jbl.com/home-audio/STAGE...urrent#start=1

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 14 Old 01-03-2020, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked: 3268
Center channel speakers do about 80% of the work in a HT, so skimping on that is a bad idea. Get a good center (preferably one that "matches" the L&R (although that is not a requirement), and wire up the space to accommodate it.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-03-2020, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2891 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Quote:
If the speakers are only a little wider than the TV then you really don't need a center or at least a lousy one. If you sit at least as far back as the speakers are apart a phantom center will be fine.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #5 of 14 Old 01-03-2020, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Quote:
I have a new construction house and trying to setup my speaker system. I have a media closet that my pre wired speaker wires and hdmis are ran to. The plan : I have a Frame Samsung over fireplace in living room. Pre wired left and right channel speaker wired in the bookshelf’️s on either side. I wanted to do Left and right bookshelf. With using the tv speaker at center channel “sort of” and a powered wireless sub. I also have two ceiling speakers on my porches for a Zone 2. And help on what receiver do I just need a 2 chAnnel? Or 5 to get 2 zoning. and recommmened speakers and sub and just overall how to set this system up would be greatly appreciated. Btw. I’️m not using any external media devices. All streaming within the tv. So will be using the “arc” hdmi for Audi return. Thanks and please offer any advice or help.
If the speakers are only a little wider than the TV then you really don't need a center or at least a lousy one. If you sit at least as far back as the speakers are apart a phantom center will be fine.
So are you saying just run a good two channel system with a sign? That’s really all I’m wired for. Unless I get a sound bar and connect hdmi to tv. Which I don’t want to do. Il how do u get a phantom center ? Do I need a 5 channel receiver to do this ? Or should I just get alike a two channel marantz? But then I would loose ability for the porch zone 2 speakers. How would You guys set it up. ? Tv over fp. Only have left and right channel pre wired to media closet. And a left and right channel porch speakers for a zone 2. Would like to do a Wirless sub. Any feedback ? I like denon and marantz Not sure on good full sounding bookshelf’s for movies and such
post #6 of 14 Old 01-04-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
So are you saying just run a good two channel system with a sign? That’s really all I’m wired for. Unless I get a sound bar and connect hdmi to tv. Which I don’t want to do. Il how do u get a phantom center ? Do I need a 5 channel receiver to do this ? Or should I just get alike a two channel marantz? But then I would loose ability for the porch zone 2 speakers. How would You guys set it up. ? Tv over fp. Only have left and right channel pre wired to media closet. And a left and right channel porch speakers for a zone 2. Would like to do a Wirless sub. Any feedback ? I like denon and marantz Not sure on good full sounding bookshelf’s for movies and such
A stereo integrated amp that has optical inputs, an A/B switch and a subwoofer output would run $350.

Just get the $200 Onkyo I linked and run it in stereo, (ie. phantom center).

What is your budget for speaker and sub and how far from the back wall will the speakers sit?

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 14 Old 01-04-2020, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Center channel speakers do about 80% of the work in a HT, so skimping on that is a bad idea. Get a good center (preferably one that "matches" the L&R (although that is not a requirement), and wire up the space to accommodate it.
Quote:
+1 on a good center channel speaker. I think it is the most underrated speaker in the setup. I would go for a 2 channel phantom setup with good LRs over a poor center channel speaker everyday.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-04-2020, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Quote:
+1 on a good center channel speaker. I think it is the most underrated speaker in the setup. I would go for a 2 channel phantom setup with good LRs over a poor center channel speaker everyday.
I am not a fan of onkyo. Can u post a similar denon receiver ? Also the room is about a 16ft square. Tv over brick wall fireplace. With bookshelf’s on either side. Sofa about 10-11 ft away. Prewires are about 4ft up off grown on shelfs. By phantom center do you mean run it in Dolby just on the two and it will sound like it’s coming from center. Also budget for bookshelf’s and sub want to stay under $1000 if possible. I have a spot for sub with power but no prewire so is there a Bluetooth version ? Also I want bookshelf’s that’s aren’t ment just for music or vinyl but more for home theater with good vocals and low end range
post #9 of 14 Old 01-04-2020, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I am not a fan of onkyo. Can u post a similar denon receiver ? Also the room is about a 16ft square. Tv over brick wall fireplace. With bookshelf’s on either side. Sofa about 10-11 ft away. Prewires are about 4ft up off grown on shelfs. By phantom center do you mean run it in Dolby just on the two and it will sound like it’s coming from center. Also budget for bookshelf’s and sub want to stay under $1000 if possible. I have a spot for sub with power but no prewire so is there a Bluetooth version ? Also I want bookshelf’s that’s aren’t ment just for music or vinyl but more for home theater with good vocals and low end range
Phantom simply means the center channel audio in any mode will be sent to the two fronts and will sound like the sound is coming from the middle.

For the sub, you can use THIS from SVS.

With your budget I would look for a good sounding pair of bookshelves as opposed to LCRs. Look to the used market and you should find plenty of options.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-04-2020, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there a protruding fireplace separating the bookshelves where the speakers would sit? Pic?

Last edited by RayGuy; 01-04-2020 at 06:25 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-04-2020, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=RayGuy;59048784]Is there a protruding fireplace separating the bookshelves where the speakers would sit? Pic?[/QUOTE
How do you post pics in here
post #12 of 14 Old 01-04-2020, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Below the new post text box (at the bottom of the last post) is another box labeled, "Drag and Drop File Upload". Just drag the file from your PC to that box, add whatever text you want in the text box, and hit the post button below ...

post #13 of 14 Old 01-05-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
If you are only going to do a pair of bookshelves plus a wireless subwoofer "phantom center" simply means "stereo."

You don't need bookshelves with good low end range when using a subwoofer.

Receiver:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-...?skuId=6198554

Least expensive quality subwoofer with wireless connection; factory renewed is not a worry as I've bought two factory renewed subs and they work as new.

https://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-D...D9W1F3NYVNQW9E

Speakers to consider with free returns:

HTD
RSL
JBL
Sony Core at Best Buy

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 14 Old 01-05-2020, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 368
if your walls are still open, run the wire for a center channel if you ever want to put one in. It's cheap now(assuming the walls are still open). Also, consider running a 2nd set of L/R speaker wires. this would allow you to Bi-amp ( although of arguable benefit) or to demo other main speakers without tearing apart your set up - This is what I did and is only important if you are a true AV geek and like to demo other speakers.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page