• 2 Post By Rex Anderson

post #1 of 10 Old 01-08-2020, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
2ms

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ultimate house party system

Hey everyone I was just imagining what the ultimate system for entertaining guests on a a Friday night would be. Think cocktail party that goes into the night with the music turned up.

How about a large room with high ceilings, five to seven Ohm Walsh speakers, a JBL SDR-35 receiver, three or four subs located all about the periphery (including at different heights), and an IPad as the head running through AirPlay?

My thinking is that guests could hand the iPad about contributing to the playlist and generally making programming decisions to make the music social, spontaneous, and involving. Then Logic16 in the JBL would make stereo immersive and atmospheric so that the sweetspot would be as wide as possible and things sounding good from anywhere. Dirac Live would further that goal as well. And the multiple subs carefully calibrated would make response nice all over as well.

My thinking is that such a system could be turned up loud while still relatively “disappearing” and, because it sounds good without distortion or big frequency peaks, would not be liable to be grating to anyone. I think average people aren’t used to loud music sounding good and it can be a revelation for people how much they enjoy it.

What do you think and do you have other ideas on what an ultimate house party system might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-08-2020, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 2180
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ms View Post

What do you think and do you have other ideas on what an ultimate house party system might be?
Here is one....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...uned-25hz.html

Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to throw speakers everywhere--and a really BAD idea if they operate in stereo. Not sure how well simulated surround works at high SPL levels in a large room--have not tried it. I do know that consumer speakers driven at rock star levels tends to blow them up quickly. Yes, I have murdered a few speakers back in the day. To avoid that, I used PA speakers for rock star mode and regular speakers when competing with the local night clubs was not on the menu.

Basically, the key to getting high SPL out of a speaker at low distortion is to use a very, very efficient speaker which tend to be very large, very heavy and cost quite a bit. After all, those giant speakers used in clubs, theaters and arena sound are not that large for style. There is a thing called "Hoffman's Iron Law" that applies so best to get familiar with the limits of speaker design.

The Titan 630 XL listed above is one of those high SPL/low distortion speakers--think around 125dB at one meter. I'm sure the single woofer versioon would be fine, you would "only" get a bit over 120dB at one meter but that is good enough to meet the members of local law enforcement.

Other very high output speakers with clean sound are JTR, some speakers from Seaton Sound, actual real theater speakers (JBL 4722N for example) and the SH-50 speaker from Danley Sound Labs are of note. Another good option that would be considerably smaller is the PSA MT210, when used with subwoofers they should split your wig without breathing hard. Be aware the above speakers are not small, they are not exactly pretty (unless you pay for custom cabinets for Danleys or Seatons. Since big and heavy = money, they are not exactly inexpensive either.

Be aware what you are attempting to do is more of a pro audio thing, not a consumer audio thing. That all depends on what your SPL requirements are, your room acoustics and so on.

Be aware that if you have high efficiency speakers and require high bass SPL subwoofers--the subs will generally be very large or you need to stack piles of consumer subs. Wall outlets have electrical limits so you will need to know how much bass SPL is required before moving forward. I can throw out an Eminence 21 inch pro sound subwoofer in a 16 cubic foot box getting massaged at 2,000 watts of power each--four of those would do nicely but you might need more electrical service done to provide the level of power those big pro amps consume.

If I was you--I would try to find a place that rents PA/pro sound gear and rent a system in the size that you can put up with. Start off with two mains and two subs tuned to around 30 Hz to start. Rent them for a weekend and you can get a real world idea of what you need. Be aware that they will be very loud/efficient so any consumer speaker will not get to that level of SPL. Just a hint to know what you are dealing with and what is available.

Good luck in your quest!
Rex Anderson likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-08-2020, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
I worked as a recording and live sound engineer for over 30 years and now design home theaters.

Surround sound is not a good idea for your party. Upmixed rear channel info sounds weird. Stick to PA cabinets with subs. Depending on the size of your room, you might get by with just a stereo system. Get the main speakers on stands high enough to not kill people close to the horns. You do not need a surround preamp/processor, get a small mixing console that has four outputs to feed four PA cabs/subs if you go that route. Get a PA processor to tune the system or just a basic crossover and EQ to balance the subs with the mains. People like bass.

https://jblpro.com/en/product_families/live-portable

https://pro.harman.com/news/harman-p...-and-subwoofer
Rgarc and 18Hurts like this.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 01-08-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-08-2020, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
2ms

Thanks guys for the ideas. Maybe I should say permanent system that is capable of excelling in a party rather than PA for a big party. Also, I was thinking a regular dinner and drinks kind of thing rather than some big special event or P Diddy mansion party. So maybe for 20 guests in a room that is the biggest one in a regular house (e.g., living room), but still just a regular house rather than some kind of big hall or something.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-08-2020, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Some confusion on my end, based on when you say:
Quote:
Ultimate house party system
What comes to my mind, fair or not, is college-aged (or slightly-beyond, meaning post-college career-incomes, boyfriends/girlfriends rather than spouses/kids, but that similar college-aged youthful exuberance) "ragers".

For that, the things that comes to my mind are big, physical, highly-efficient horn-loaded towers from someone like Klipsch or Power Sound Audio (or similar). PA speakers wouldn't personally be my thing, but I am thinking of big, aggressive, dynamic, horn-loaded towers when I think of that... paired with one or more monster ported subwoofers from someone like Hsu, PSA, or SVS.

But then when you say:
Quote:
Think cocktail party
and
Quote:
so that the sweetspot would be as wide as possible
and
Quote:
multiple subs carefully calibrated
The phrase "cocktail party" has me thinking something a bit older/more mature than a college rager, "wide sweet spots" has me thinking about something with wide horizontal dispersion like a Ribbon Tweeter from Salk or Ascend, and "carefully calibrated subs" makes me think of some sealed offerings from someone like Rythmik, REL, or JTR...

And when you say:
Quote:
I was thinking a regular dinner and drinks kind of thing rather than some big special event or P Diddy mansion party. So maybe for 20 guests in a room that is the biggest one in a regular house (e.g., living room), but still just a regular house rather than some kind of big hall or something.
...I think multi-zone playback (Living Room; basement/bar; outdoor patio and/or deck, etc). And for software that can control multiple zones, group speakers together for multi-room playback, can be controlled via a tablet that can be passed around to guests, I think of Roon with either Tidal or Qobuz (or both) integration...

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.

Last edited by psuKinger; 01-08-2020 at 04:21 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-08-2020, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
2ms

Hi yes to clarify, I didn’t mean system for the ultimate house party like some 80s cocaine wolf of Wall Street kind of animal house thing, but rather I meant the ultimate audio system for a reasonably mature and adult house party

So WAF compliant, generally, but still capable of high volumes. The idea wasn’t to rage but to be able to have excellent sound for nearly everyone such that you can turn it up without fatiguing. There is this phenomenon of that volumes can actually be high but still civilized due to the effect that it sound sounds good because of high quality. I think that phenomenon is great for parties.

The idea behind the Ohm Walshes was that they have a huge sweetspot. The idea behind the Logic 16 is that the sound can come from all around and envelop everyone rather than for them needing to face the front speakers in order to have decent sound. Then the overall volume can be higher relative to the local volume for any individuals located close to speakers, so there is less SPL “hotspot” in the room and things are generally more atmospheric. Same with the multiple subs. It should even out the bass for everyone regardless of where they are standing, rather than some people being 1 meter away from sub while others are 10 meters away.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-09-2020, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked: 2136
Probably Cerwin Vegas speakers are most known for "frat party" style speakers, but won't get loud or be as durable as PA speakers...but they might offer the best compromise between loud/some fidelity/not hugely expensive.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #8 of 10 Old 01-14-2020, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 72
If WAF isn't a big concern, I'd go PSA. If it is, Chanes are well known for ridiculous output without sounding strained. An a5.5 near each corner of the room should give great output while still spreading the sound around.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-14-2020, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Didn't hear a budget from you but if I were you I'd go to a guitar center and give a listen to some of the speakers there...might I suggest harbinger as a start..

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #10 of 10 Old 01-14-2020, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
Why not just put in a good home theater surround system including a big screen TV? Play concert videos! You could do in wall (JBL SCL series) or not. JBL HDI series, JBL Synthesis, and Revel are all great speakers. Proper placement of subs is something you want to learn about. Two or four (not three) and certainly not at different heights. Google to find and read the Todd Welti and Allan Devantier papers and learn about SFM, bass management, use of multi-subs etc.

JBL SDP-35 is a great AVR/surround processor. You could play music in surround via Auro 3D, or just use it to play stereo through all the speakers, you have to listen and decide what sounds best for the party.

Installing Atmos speakers in the ceiling would add a great deal to the overall system and sense of immersion. Knowing how much you want to spend is necessary to offer any more advice.

You need power amps capable of driving the speakers you get. The more speakers you have, the more channels of amplification you need. ATI makes modular amps so you can choose the number of channels and power you need.

https://www.google.com/search?client...w=1916&bih=961

Full disclosure, I work for a company that sells the equipment I am recommending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page