Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-10-2020, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In Wall Theater Setup

All,

I'm new to this. I am looking to put a home theater into my basement. I have a lot of the details reasoned out, after months of research, now I'm getting to the sound.

I would love to get an ATMOS system, but after reading through this forum I'm thinking money is better spent on quality than quantity. Maybe there is a point of diminishing return on that? I'm hoping someone here will know...

I am not an audiophile, but I do appreciate quality in life.

I am looking for in wall/ceiling options because - kids. Anyone who has them will understand. Also the LCR will likely go behind the screen, so in wall will free up room for seating.

I don't have a set budget, I'm actually asking this question to determine what a realistic budget is. I have flexibility, but not unlimited funds.

For the AVR I was thinking the Marantz 6014 because it offers 9 powered channels and a second zone.

So, where is the point of diminishing return on speakers? Is it worth going 5.1 vs 7.2.2 in order to get better speakers?

The room is 14.5' x 19' x 7.5'.

I'm sure I missed a detail, but all suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-10-2020, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 396
If memory serves me correctly the 6014 will do 11 channel processing so 7.2.4 is do-able. You will need an outboard amp for the last 2 channels. often recommended is the audiosource amp100VS - 140 or the dayton audio APA102bt for 99

also, you don't need to spend a lot to achieve effective Atmos - you could get decent performance for ~50/speaker. and the often recommended in ceiling is the RSL C34E are 125 each.

for surrounds, the RSL C34E are often recommended.

I would also have you check out DCM speakers, which can be found on ebay, as they have been getting a lot rec's due to to low price and good performance. they also have in wall/in ceiling options
many here are going to hammer you on quality sub(s). budget accordingly

also for big bang-for-your-buck value, and since you are planning on an AT screen, check out DIYsoundgroup.com - that is if you are a little bit handy. some of the kits have a pre-made crossover so it is basically glue-and-screw. Outstanding sonic quality and performance.

good luck

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-10-2020, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My room is 11W x 18L x 7H I have this sysyem and it sounds awesome, well at least to me and anyone that hears my system;

6 x Polk Audio 265-LS 61/2 Three Way with Power Port
1 x Polk Audio 255c-LS Dual 51/4 Two WayCenter Channel
4 x RSL C34E for Atmos
2 x SVS PB12-NSD 12"
Marantz SR8012 receiver
Epson 5040ube projector
Da-Lite acoustically transparent screen compatible with UHD
Acoustically treated room with corner base traps and panels from ATS Acoustics

My room is a completely black dedicated theater in my basement. The only thing I wish I did more of was soundproofing, sometimes wife gets upset she can hear and feel the system 2 floors up.

Another reason I went with in-wall (aside from kids) was because of my dogs, they are not in the room much but I would hate to have them knocking things over.

You can always wire for future upgrades and install when ready.

I attached a few pics of my theater when it was almost finished, no acoustic treatments in rear of room or velvet drapes for door and window openings in those pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	686.0 KB
ID:	2667676   Click image for larger version

Name:	f2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	791.8 KB
ID:	2667678   Click image for larger version

Name:	b1.jpg
Size:	460.6 KB
ID:	2667680  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-10-2020, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
If memory serves me correctly the 6014 will do 11 channel processing so 7.2.4 is do-able. You will need an outboard amp for the last 2 channels. often recommended is the audiosource amp100VS - 140 or the dayton audio APA102bt for 99

also, you don't need to spend a lot to achieve effective Atmos - you could get decent performance for ~50/speaker. and the often recommended in ceiling is the RSL C34E are 125 each.

for surrounds, the RSL C34E are often recommended.

I would also have you check out DCM speakers, which can be found on ebay, as they have been getting a lot rec's due to to low price and good performance. they also have in wall/in ceiling options
many here are going to hammer you on quality sub(s). budget accordingly

also for big bang-for-your-buck value, and since you are planning on an AT screen, check out DIYsoundgroup.com - that is if you are a little bit handy. some of the kits have a pre-made crossover so it is basically glue-and-screw. Outstanding sonic quality and performance.

good luck
Smith,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll certainly check out your suggestions. I was looking at the Polk line up, mainly because I remember their name from when my trunk used to rattle. I really wasn't impressed that they had no box... but maybe that's ok?

You're correct about the Marantz. It is 11.2 capable, 9.2 powered.

I definitely want "good" sound, but I'm not going to notice if the violin in Bach's 5th Concerto was a touch tinny. As a matter of fact, these speakers won't be used for music other than the occasional entertaining moment where Christmas music is appropriate while entertaining.

I'll check out your suggestions when I get back home from chasing the kids around a restaurant. Wish me luck!

Jason
post #5 of 16 Old 01-10-2020, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 3562 Post(s)
Liked: 5486
For in walls, I'd take a look at Revel, KEF, and Triad. Also, read through this thread to help in selecting good speakers:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...nce-shows.html
post #6 of 16 Old 01-10-2020, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf5 View Post
My room is 11W x 18L x 7H I have this sysyem and it sounds awesome, well at least to me and anyone that hears my system;

6 x Polk Audio 265-LS 61/2 Three Way with Power Port
1 x Polk Audio 255c-LS Dual 51/4 Two WayCenter Channel
4 x RSL C34E for Atmos
2 x SVS PB12-NSD 12"
Marantz SR8012 receiver
Epson 5040ube projector
Da-Lite acoustically transparent screen compatible with UHD
Acoustically treated room with corner base traps and panels from ATS Acoustics

My room is a completely black dedicated theater in my basement. The only thing I wish I did more of was soundproofing, sometimes wife gets upset she can hear and feel the system 2 floors up.

Another reason I went with in-wall (aside from kids) was because of my dogs, they are not in the room much but I would hate to have them knocking things over.

You can always wire for future upgrades and install when ready.

I attached a few pics of my theater when it was almost finished, no acoustic treatments in rear of room or velvet drapes for door and window openings in those pictures.
This is very similar to what I was looking at, except using the Polk RC65i for surround and rears. You're happy with the audio quality?

Jason
post #7 of 16 Old 01-10-2020, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
For in walls, I'd take a look at Revel, KEF, and Triad. Also, read through this thread to help in selecting good speakers:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...nce-shows.html
Bear,

I'm having a tough time finding reliable prices on the Triad. I was looking at them not long ago. Do you know of a place to see prices?

Thanks,

Jason
post #8 of 16 Old 01-10-2020, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

This is pretty much where I've been. What do y'all think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3417.jpg
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	2667794  
post #9 of 16 Old 01-10-2020, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 3562 Post(s)
Liked: 5486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rich View Post
Bear,

I'm having a tough time finding reliable prices on the Triad. I was looking at them not long ago. Do you know of a place to see prices?

Thanks,

Jason
Sorry, don't know for sure, but I'd check the Triad thread or with @Dawn Gordon

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...hread-335.html
post #10 of 16 Old 01-10-2020, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I have Triad in-walls in my theater and they are excellent at what they are designed to do. I had Silver LCR’s for my 3 front channels for a few years and loved them. I still have Silver LCR’s for my L/R surrounds and I use Bronze LCR’s for the 2 back channels, i don’t do Atmos. They play loud, clean, smooth, and respond well to a proper amp. I ran everything off a receiver and then got a 3 channel amp for the front soundstage, it made a noticeable difference in dynamics.

I’ve since moved up to Triad Silver Monitors (and changed all my gear) for my L/C/R channels as my priority is 2 channel now, but I still love cranking movies from time to time! You didn’t mention anything about dedicated music listening so I’d save the money and skip the monitors, get the LCR’s, they are a great home theater speaker.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-11-2020, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Bear,

Thanks,

Jason
Hi Jason,

My Triad Speaker Matching Chart has Triad MSRP prices. If you give me your email I will send it to you.

Dawn

[email protected]
post #12 of 16 Old 01-11-2020, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
I have Triad in-walls in my theater and they are excellent at what they are designed to do. I had Silver LCR’️s for my 3 front channels for a few years and loved them. I still have Silver LCR’️s for my L/R surrounds and I use Bronze LCR’️s for the 2 back channels, i don’️t do Atmos. They play loud, clean, smooth, and respond well to a proper amp. I ran everything off a receiver and then got a 3 channel amp for the front soundstage, it made a noticeable difference in dynamics.

I’️ve since moved up to Triad Silver Monitors (and changed all my gear) for my L/C/R channels as my priority is 2 channel now, but I still love cranking movies from time to time! You didn’️t mention anything about dedicated music listening so I’️d save the money and skip the monitors, get the LCR’️s, they are a great home theater speaker.
I’ve heard nothing but good things about Triad and how well they sound. My room size probably fits the Bronze series the best. How did yours sound when the volume was at lower levels? Conversational volume I’ll call it.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-11-2020, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Very nice are in wall speakers the best for space saving and sound. ?? How do I find a desk job good enough to afford real audio gear . Keep applying for stuff no luck ?

Best of luck post pics of your theater .. its way cheaper then buying movie tickets in the long run and won’t blowout your ear drums !! Which screen you using ? How much is a good projector ?

Reptilians invading in year 2027
Tesla spoken to them
post #14 of 16 Old 01-11-2020, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackburn101 View Post
Very nice are in wall speakers the best for space saving and sound. ?? How do I find a desk job good enough to afford real audio gear . Keep applying for stuff no luck ?

Best of luck post pics of your theater .. its way cheaper then buying movie tickets in the long run and won’️t blowout your ear drums !! Which screen you using ? How much is a good projector ?

Reptilians invading in year 2027
Tesla spoken to them
This was my plan. Based on some input from this thread I’m going to examine other options.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	05718C3C-7BF2-4667-B44D-1190FC1142AA_1578779625991.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	2668308  
post #15 of 16 Old 01-11-2020, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
I’ve heard nothing but good things about Triad and how well they sound. My room size probably fits the Bronze series the best. How did yours sound when the volume was at lower levels? Conversational volume I’ll call it.
Clear and polite at lower volume. Give them some juice and they’ll open up nicely.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-12-2020, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am very happy with the Polk speakers, I have used them for years in personal and theaters we put in homes for sale. I can't compare to similar priced towers/bookshelf speakers because I have only heard another system with satellite speakers or B&W in walls. I like these in walls much better than the satellites. B&W is a high end speaker company that cost significantly more to set up with a processor and separate amps ie. Rotel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page