One speaker quit working. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
One speaker quit working.

I have two identical speakers on my Onkyo receiver. One of the speakers quit working as like no sound.

I took the speakers out of the speaker cabinet thinking there might be a fuse. No fuse.

I know it us not the Onkyo receivercause I gave another speaker hooked to that same hookup. That speaker works perfectly .

Any ideas why this would happen. The speakers company name is not on either sspeaks. I can see where us name used to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 331
That is pretty weird. Nothing was moved before this happened? The unknown speakers are 2-way or 3-way or??? Was the volume very loud? Why is there another speaker connected at the same time (which if the volume is turned up could be a killer load to the amp)?

I'd shut down the receiver, disconnect ALL the speakers; Really for completeness I'd disconnect all the speaker wiring at the amp as well. Reconnect JUST the pair where one isn't working. If it still doesn't work but the other one of the pair does, swap them and try again. See if the dead one is still dead, or if it is the one side of the amp. (Yes, I realize this all seems repetitive in light of what you said, just trying to reconfirm and to reduce variables. Because, unless you were really really cranking, it is SO unlikely for a 2- or 3-way speaker to blow ALL the drivers at once.

Pictures of the speaker might let someone identify them.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
That is pretty weird. Nothing was moved before this happened? The unknown speakers are 2-way or 3-way or??? Was the volume very loud? Why is there another speaker connected at the same time (which if the volume is turned up could be a killer load to the amp)?

I'd shut down the receiver, disconnect ALL the speakers; Really for completeness I'd disconnect all the speaker wiring at the amp as well. Reconnect JUST the pair where one isn't working. If it still doesn't work but the other one of the pair does, swap them and try again. See if the dead one is still dead, or if it is the one side of the amp. (Yes, I realize this all seems repetitive in light of what you said, just trying to reconfirm and to reduce variables. Because, unless you were really really cranking, it is SO unlikely for a 2- or 3-way speaker to blow ALL the drivers at once.

Pictures of the speaker might let someone identify them.
Nothing was moved.

Two way. One right and one left. The amplifier is five cause I have a replacement speaker that is working fine. I also hooked up the non working speaker to the other side is the amplifier where that speaker is working. The non working speaker still did not have any sound.

The receiver was not loud. Three reasons I do not like the sound loud, do not want my let's deaf, and do not my neighbours hearing my radio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked: 2884
When you put the non-working speaker on the other side, did you change the connector at the receiver end or the speaker end? If it was at the receiver end, then remove the speaker wire altogether and use the one attached to the good speaker. If the speaker still does not work, you know it is the speaker itself. If it does work, then you need to replace the bad wire.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-11-2020, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 3593 Post(s)
Liked: 3031
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLouMaloney View Post
I have two identical speakers on my Onkyo receiver. One of the speakers quit working as like no sound.

I took the speakers out of the speaker cabinet thinking there might be a fuse. No fuse.

I know it us not the Onkyo receivercause I gave another speaker hooked to that same hookup. That speaker works perfectly .

Any ideas why this would happen. The speakers company name is not on either sspeaks. I can see where us name used to be.

Does the defective speaker have it's own wire coming from inside the speaker that you just connect to the AVR?

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-11-2020, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
When you put the non-working speaker on the other side, did you change the connector at the receiver end or the speaker end? If it was at the receiver end, then remove the speaker wire altogether and use the one attached to the good speaker. If the speaker still does not work, you know it is the speaker itself. If it does work, then you need to replace the bad wire.

No I just unhooked the speaker from the speakers back terminals then hooked to the other side of the receiver with the wire that is attached to the working speaker.

post #7 of 12 Old 01-11-2020, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Does the defective speaker have it's own wire coming from inside the speaker that you just connect to the AVR?

No just the red and black terminals.

post #8 of 12 Old 01-11-2020, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds like a speaker problem. Perhaps something inside has become detached? Odd that it makes no noise at all.

post #9 of 12 Old 01-11-2020, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

True. Never happened before on any if my speakers. Will test each speaker individually.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-14-2020, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Update: I hooked the original speaker wire from the receiver to the inside connection if the speaker. Now the speaker is working great. The woofer, rweetwe, and mid range.

Hard to reach inside the speaker box and connect the wires.properly. Sooooo. I gave the speaker wires held in place by using clothes pins. That is all that I have. Alligator clamps would have been boss.

But all is well again.

post #11 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Clothes pins? Nice use of available tools, but I would look at implementing a more permanent solution. Perhaps a couple of wire nuts?

post #12 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Clothes pins? Nice use of available tools, but I would look at implementing a more permanent solution. Perhaps a couple of wire nuts?

Wont work because where the wires are attached is 1/8the inch flat not a wire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page