Center for B&W DM580 or a set instead - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 105 Old 01-15-2020, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 2
@Zorba922
I tried to see how it would feel with the TV nearly 8" higher, so the Emotiva will be under it. It feels way too high
Currently the TV is at about 25.5" inches high from the floor, which feels optimal to me (at head level).

The shelf under is only 7" as I said, so the only other option is to have the speaker behind the TV, and I believe that's not a very good option.

I'm thinking now to maybe try the Ascend HTM200SE you suggested instead. Wrote them for shipping info. It has 4" woofers which you suggested are too small though.

Last edited by AlexLac; 01-15-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 105 Old 01-16-2020, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7976 Post(s)
Liked: 6086
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
@Zorba922
I tried to see how it would feel with the TV nearly 8" higher, so the Emotiva will be under it. It feels way too high
Currently the TV is at about 25.5" inches high from the floor, which feels optimal to me (at head level).

The shelf under is only 7" as I said, so the only other option is to have the speaker behind the TV, and I believe that's not a very good option.

I'm thinking now to maybe try the Ascend HTM200SE you suggested instead. Wrote them for shipping info. It has 4" woofers which you suggested are too small though.
I home demoed the 200SE as a stereo pair so I can't say how one would be as a center, but generally I felt that they definitely played much larger than their size...so who knows, this might be one exception to the rule.

You could give the RSL CG23 a try, since it comes with free return shipping.

Otherwise, I'd consider putting a full sized center on a stand IN FRONT of your TV cabinet, and pulling your L/R speakers forward so that all 3 are on the same front axis.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #33 of 105 Old 01-17-2020, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I home demoed the 200SE as a stereo pair so I can't say how one would be as a center, but generally I felt that they definitely played much larger than their size...so who knows, this might be one exception to the rule.

You could give the RSL CG23 a try, since it comes with free return shipping.

Otherwise, I'd consider putting a full sized center on a stand IN FRONT of your TV cabinet, and pulling your L/R speakers forward so that all 3 are on the same front axis.
Thanks for the additional advises

Ascend don't seem to be in a hurry to reply, ha.
RSL CG23is sold out.

Meanwhile I've been looking at a different approach: https://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j...BR-TV1307-.jpg
Ones like Sonorous cost way to much for me to buy just to have a center speaker. There are some cheap ones on Amazon too but with shipping etc, they are not so cheap anymore.

I found one 2nd hand nearby, I'm just trying to figure out if hanging the TV on this thing gives me enough room to fit the Emotiva under. If it does, this would be a good solution.
I already went to see it, it looks very well made, I just get frazzled by trying to figure out how high the TV will be. Calculating stuff is one of my weakest features
It looks a lot more expensive than what it seems to cost wholesale in China. However, I can't find any proper specifications on what's the max weight it can hold. Those poles are said to be iron tubes and seem pretty sturdy. However, the hanger frame attached to them is more like thick plastic (?) that still seem pretty solid. It comes with matching brackets which are not typical ones. see here: https://i.imgur.com/KaoTeuv.jpg
I will go back there and try to figure out exactly what height the TV will be I guess.

Went a bit off topic there I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 105 Old 01-17-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the additional advises

Ascend don't seem to be in a hurry to reply, ha.
RSL CG23is sold out.
Ascend is sometimes slow to answer emails, unfortunately. I'd try calling as well as email. Keep trying, it's worth it.

You probably got lost on the convoluted RSL website. It's the "old" discontinued version of the CG23 that's sold out. The current, "new" version is in stock:
https://rslspeakers.com/products/new...enter-channel/

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #35 of 105 Old 01-18-2020, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
snip
That looks to be a very solid stand - it should have no issues holding your TV.
It looks like the brackets simply bolt into the VESA mounting holes on the back of a TV. They, in turn, simply rest on the top and bottom of the rack to hold the weight of the TV.

I agree with Zorba in that you probably won't get a "matching" centre speaker for your stereo pair, unless you can track down a third identical speaker, or a bookshelf speaker from the same series. You would want a very neutral speaker with clear vocals that will play below 80Hz (after all, you want Darth Vader to sound like Darth Vader, not Alvin the Chipmunk). I would do everything I can in order to fit a GOOD centre speaker below my screen.

I my picture, you can see that I have the centre on a pair of stands in front of my TV stand. I simply don't have the room horizontally to have it on top of the stand, but a new equipment rack to hold all the electronics is next on my list...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190505_002044.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	2671828  
Zorba922 likes this.
post #36 of 105 Old 01-18-2020, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ah.. thanks Zorba922
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
That looks to be a very solid stand - it should have no issues holding your TV.
It looks like the brackets simply bolt into the VESA mounting holes on the back of a TV. They, in turn, simply rest on the top and bottom of the rack to hold the weight of the TV.
Thanks for commenting on this.

It does look solid, but that spike/slit (I don't know how to call it) standard combination feels like it gives better lock. The standard brackets/frames also have a bottom lock to the lower part of the VESA, which I'm not sure at all this one has. I have to go see it again before I pull the trigger.

I've seen reasonably priced similar models on Amazon with the classic mounting gear, but they either don't ship here or cost 2-3 times the price of the product for shipping + taxes.
Another option I'm thinking is getting this 2nd hand one and removing the poles (there's someone selling the same stand but without the poles at 1/2 the price) + getting something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...RDFT847J&psc=1
My main issue is figuring out what height the TV is going to be at. I'm totally dyslexic when it comes to calculating. I don't want the TV to be higher than about 30" from the floor. I tried the TV at around 38" from the floor to see if it works for me with the Emotiva speaker under it, and found it to be way too high.

The only alternative we have locally is the Sonorous PL and Neo models. A tv stand with a mounting pole and 3 shelves at a price range of like $550-700. It's more than I wish to spend.
Quote:
I agree with Zorba in that you probably won't get a "matching" centre speaker for your stereo pair, unless you can track down a third identical speaker, or a bookshelf speaker from the same series. You would want a very neutral speaker with clear vocals that will play below 80Hz (after all, you want Darth Vader to sound like Darth Vader, not Alvin the Chipmunk). I would do everything I can in order to fit a GOOD centre speaker below my screen.
My speakers were made in 1988, they only had bookshelves made other than fronts.
My initial thought was to get a B&W DM600IFS, which I read should be a match more or less. But zorba put me off it and on that Emotiva one

Last edited by AlexLac; 01-18-2020 at 12:51 PM.
post #37 of 105 Old 01-19-2020, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

I think I found a reasonable economic solution. I don't like the mounting gear on the Chinese table.
Found a 15" MDF TV stand for like $25, will add the fitueyes TV stand from amazon to it. I could also considering mounting the TV on the wall. I would need one of those accordion hangers + installation, so it won't come off cheaper than the stand + more hassle.

Quote:
If you care about matching the surrounds, then the E1 wouldn't hurt.
From what I read, matching surrounds isn't that important but maybe I can get a bundle price. Same guy is selling a pair of JBL 15 (Arena 120) surrounds for much less. Is that worth considering?
post #38 of 105 Old 01-19-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
From what I read, matching surrounds isn't that important but maybe I can get a bundle price. Same guy is selling a pair of JBL 15 (Arena 120) surrounds for much less. Is that worth considering?
Yes, the Arena 120 is fine for rear surrounds from what I've read. Amazon in the US used to have B15 for $120/pair last year, but that's gone back up to normal price now.

post #39 of 105 Old 01-20-2020, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, the Arena 120 is fine for rear surrounds from what I've read. Amazon in the US used to have B15 for $120/pair last year, but that's gone back up to normal price now.
Sadly, it seems he already sold them. Seems since the Emotive E1s were not selling he sold those instead and kept the E1s.
I should pick up the C1 from him later on this week.

So now I've been starting to check on subs and rears lol...
Went through the 2nd hand junk piles and wrote down some names. I know those are all at best emtry level, but I'm a beginner and I don't have a big viewing room etc.
Any of those stand out as not total junk and worth checking?

Subs:
Polk Audio PSW110
Paradigm PDR-8 V3
Sonab S-200
Magnat Motion Sub 25A
Boston VR500
Boston CS Sub10 II

Bookshelf (I really rather get one that have hanging options, most those don't):
Polk Audio OWM3
Jamo Cornet 60
Jamo C401
Wharfedale Valdus 200
Wharfedale Diamond 7
Canton Plus XL
post #40 of 105 Old 01-20-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Sadly, it seems he already sold them. Seems since the Emotive E1s were not selling he sold those instead and kept the E1s.
I should pick up the C1 from him later on this week.

So now I've been starting to check on subs and rears lol...
Went through the 2nd hand junk piles and wrote down some names. I know those are all at best emtry level, but I'm a beginner and I don't have a big viewing room etc.
Any of those stand out as not total junk and worth checking?

Subs:
Polk Audio PSW110
Paradigm PDR-8 V3
Sonab S-200
Magnat Motion Sub 25A
Boston VR500
Boston CS Sub10 II

Bookshelf (I really rather get one that have hanging options, most those don't):
Polk Audio OWM3
Jamo Cornet 60
Jamo C401
Wharfedale Valdus 200
Wharfedale Diamond 7
Canton Plus XL
I'd steer clear of those subs. Too important a part of your system to take chances with. Surrounds on the other hand...the Polk OWM3 might be worth looking into, see what reviews you can find online esp. Amazon.

post #41 of 105 Old 01-21-2020, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd steer clear of those subs. Too important a part of your system to take chances with. Surrounds on the other hand...the Polk OWM3 might be worth looking into, see what reviews you can find online esp. Amazon.
Thanks as always.

Yeah, I assumed those are all pretty crappy subs. What should I be looking for? Any specific brands or driver sizes?
I see people are flipping over SVS. There is a 2nd hand PB1000 for about $580 (local retailer sells new for $750), Amazon isn't an option due to shipping . It has quite small drivers but maybe it's enough?
I see also BIC mentioned quite a bit.

I'll read on those Polks, overall rating on amazon is good. They are a little oddly shaped which I don't like but not too bad. There is a Polk Audio T15 too, that might be a good cheap option.
I can appreciate speakers that look like art pieces, but for me they belong in a gallery, not grabbing attention in the living room

Edit: I found a guy selling the JBL B15s. $30 more than the JBL 5/Arena 120 that was sold out already, but I think I'll get those.

Last edited by AlexLac; 01-21-2020 at 06:05 AM.
post #42 of 105 Old 01-21-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I assumed those are all pretty crappy subs. What should I be looking for? Any specific brands or driver sizes?
I see people are flipping over SVS. There is a 2nd hand PB1000 for about $580 (local retailer sells new for $750), Amazon isn't an option due to shipping . It has quite small drivers but maybe it's enough?
Personally I'd pay the extra $170 to get the PB1000 new to get the full warranty and support. Not worth risking the amp going out on the used one. The huge enclosure makes up for the 10" woofer size.

The BIC PL200 is an ok-ish budget sub for $300 US, mainly when it goes on sale for about $250 a few times a year. Known to be boomy and one-note, although it does have a lot of output. If you can afford the PB1000 and that's the best locally available then that's what I'd get especially if you like action movies.

*** EDITED to add: I'd ask Amazon.com for an international shipping quote for the PB12, which is $500 here...if it comes out to be close to $750 then that's what I'd take because the PB12 is one step up from the PB1000, very close to the PB2000 in performance.

Last edited by Zorba922; 01-21-2020 at 10:58 AM.
post #43 of 105 Old 01-21-2020, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Thanks as always.

I'll read on those Polks, overall rating on amazon is good. They are a little oddly shaped which I don't like but not too bad. There is a Polk Audio T15 too, that might be a good cheap option.
I can appreciate speakers that look like art pieces, but for me they belong in a gallery, not grabbing attention in the living room

Edit: I found a guy selling the JBL B15s. $30 more than the JBL 5/Arena 120 that was sold out already, but I think I'll get those.
This is a good guide for inexpensive subs: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...-300-less.html
post #44 of 105 Old 01-21-2020, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Personally I'd pay the extra $170 to get the PB1000 new to get the full warranty and support. Not worth risking the amp going out on the used one. The huge enclosure makes up for the 10" woofer size.

The BIC PL200 is an ok-ish budget sub for $300 US, mainly when it goes on sale for about $250 a few times a year. Known to be boomy and one-note, although it does have a lot of output. If you can afford the PB1000 and that's the best locally available then that's what I'd get especially if you like action movies.

*** EDITED to add: I'd ask Amazon.com for an international shipping quote for the PB12, which is $500 here...if it comes out to be close to $750 then that's what I'd take because the PB12 is one step up from the PB1000, very close to the PB2000 in performance.
Thanks for your reply.

So... SVS PB12-NSD does not ship to here and local rep doesn't seem to carry it either from what I can see: http://www.svs.co.il/113917-Subwoofer.
The PB1000 is $913 landed, so even if they did it would be something like that. Probably more as I think it's bigger?

I had a chat with the selling the PB1000 and he came down to $520, and it still has 3 years warranty left as he only bought it 2 years ago. Not too bad is it?

I actually shy away from action movies. It's totally not my gem. Most the stuff I watch is cable-type TV shows (HBO/SHO/Amazon), which is partially why I was stingy going for an Atmos 7.1 setup.
TBH I never felt a need for 5.1 either, but as my ancient receiver needed replacing, I decided to go up a notch to modern times.

Quote:
This is a good guide for inexpensive subs: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...-300-less.html
Thanks! I will have a read

Last edited by AlexLac; 01-21-2020 at 01:16 PM.
post #45 of 105 Old 01-21-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

So... SVS PB12-NSD does not ship to here and local rep doesn't seem to carry it either from what I can see: http://www.svs.co.il/113917-Subwoofer.
The PB1000 is $913 landed, so even if they did it would be something like that. Probably more as I think it's bigger?

I had a chat with the selling the PB1000 and he came down to $520, and it still has 3 years warranty left as he only bought it 2 years ago. Not too bad is it?

I actually shy away from action movies. It's totally not my gem. Most the stuff I watch is cable-type TV shows (HBO/SHO/Amazon), which is partially why I was stingy going for an Atmos 7.1 setup.
TBH I never felt a need for 5.1 either, but as my ancient receiver needed replacing, I decided to go up a notch to modern times.
Oh geez, then the PB1000 will be ample for your needs, and the $520 for the used one is great as long as it's still in good condition.

My movie tastes are similar to yours, and I've always been very happy with a 3.1 setup --- I went to a boutique store and heard a full-on high end Atmos system and was struck at how totally unimpressed I was, lol. I think that for Atmos to be worth all the trouble and expense you have to be into the kinds of cheesy big budget action/thriller movies that have tons of those sound effects...you would have to pay me to sit through two hours of cardboard characters, lousy acting/dialogue, and brain-dead formulaic plotlines.

In that case, just make sure you're 100% happy with whatever center speaker you get.

post #46 of 105 Old 01-21-2020, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh geez, then the PB1000 will be ample for your needs, and the $520 for the used one is great as long as it's still in good condition.
My movie tastes are similar to yours, and I've always been very happy with a 3.1 setup --- I went to a boutique store and heard a full-on high end Atmos system and was struck at how totally unimpressed I was, lol. I think that for Atmos to be worth all the trouble and expense you have to be into the kinds of cheesy big budget action/thriller movies that have tons of those sound effects...you would have to pay me to sit through two hours of cardboard characters, lousy acting/dialogue, and brain-dead formulaic plotlines.

In that case, just make sure you're 100% happy with whatever center speaker you get.
I may even say it might be over-qualified for my needs. Having never put it to the test, I'm unsure if I could tell a $100 speaker from a $500 one But I haven't bought gear for like 25 years, so if I'm gonna do it now, it may as well be with proven/regarded products and not sticker ones. Which is why I came here in the first place. I'm sure we have experts here as well, but given the size of the country, the extreme pricing and the limited range of products compared to what the world has to offer, it seemed like a better place to ask.
Audiophile feels to me a little bit like wine, some really know their stuff, some like thinking they do, but mostly sheep and then there's people like me, self proclaimed ignoramous.

I think the PB1000 should be in great shape. People who buy such brands here, don't do it just to have something booming and rumbling on karaoke nights (and/or on occasion, a stand for boxed wine and nachos). They do it cause it's a buzz brand (I think?) and given the price tag, they usually treat it with respect. That guy upgraded to the 2000 model.

The center I'm getting is the C1 you recommended. Hopefully it will do the job. If all goes well, I will go get it on the weekend.

Yeah, I share the same sentiment exactly when it comes to blockbusters. $80mil on CGI and $1 on script. Last one I recall seeing was Man of Steel, cause I have nostalgic feelings for the 1978 movie and wanted to see what they came up with. I think it's the worst movie I've seen in a decade. Even with 40% of the movie in ffwd it felt like eternity. I then cursed at IMDB for not offering a wider range than 1-10. A negative 10 would have been more appropriate
Zorba922 likes this.

Last edited by AlexLac; 01-21-2020 at 06:08 PM.
post #47 of 105 Old 01-22-2020, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Zorba922
gajCA
sigpig

I have someone selling the Q Acoustics 3050 fronts for about $430.
Do you guys (or anyone else who might wants to chime in) think it would be a worthy upgrade over the old B&W DM580?
I know it's not a top of the line but I think they are supposed to be quite good.
Worth it or stick with what I got?

Got the JBL B15s today. Sealed/unopened for about $145.
post #48 of 105 Old 01-22-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I have someone selling the Q Acoustics 3050 fronts for about $430.
Do you guys (or anyone else who might wants to chime in) think it would be a worthy upgrade over the old B&W DM580?
I know it's not a top of the line but I think they are supposed to be quite good.
Worth it or stick with what I got?

Got the JBL B15s today. Sealed/unopened for about $145.
$430 is awesome esp. if they're new or like-new. I don't know anything about the DM580 but yeah I'd find that very hard to resist.
AlexLac likes this.

post #49 of 105 Old 01-22-2020, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
$430 is awesome esp. if they're new or like-new. I don't know anything about the DM580 but yeah I'd find that very hard to resist.
Yes. It's a decent price. In the UK they sell for about that but don't ship here (anyway shipping would have doubled the price).
Did you get a listen to those? You mentioned demoing the 3090 center. The reviews are very good. But tbh, I sometimes question reviews the same way I question Instagram influencers
post #50 of 105 Old 01-22-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Yes. It's a decent price. In the UK they sell for about that but don't ship here (anyway shipping would have doubled the price).
Did you get a listen to those? You mentioned demoing the 3090 center. The reviews are very good. But tbh, I sometimes question reviews the same way I question Instagram influencers
If you get the 3050 I'd still go with the Emotiva C1, don't worry about all the "timbre matching" folklore.

I home demoed the first generation of QA speakers: 3020, Concept 20, 3090, and 3070 pseudo-sub. The last two were big steps down from the quality of the first 2. The 3050 is the only QA speaker with full 6.5" woofers so I'd expect it to be even better. The 3090 like the Concept center today, has lousy 4" woofers and to my ears, sounded very weak and boxy...perhaps I should have tried a 120Hz crossover instead of 80Hz, in retrospect because some people have had good results with it.

But generally speaking, the C1 is a 3 way design with an excellent tweeter and 5.25" woofers---I'd take it in a heartbeat over the QA centers.
AlexLac and sigpig like this.

post #51 of 105 Old 01-22-2020, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you get the 3050 I'd still go with the Emotiva C1, don't worry about all the "timbre matching" folklore.

I home demoed the first generation of QA speakers: 3020, Concept 20, 3090, and 3070 pseudo-sub. The last two were big steps down from the quality of the first 2. The 3050 is the only QA speaker with full 6.5" woofers so I'd expect it to be even better. The 3090 like the Concept center today, has lousy 4" woofers and to my ears, sounded very weak and boxy...perhaps I should have tried a 120Hz crossover instead of 80Hz, in retrospect because some people have had good results with it.

But generally speaking, the C1 is a 3 way design with an excellent tweeter and 5.25" woofers---I'd take it in a heartbeat over the QA centers.
Awesome. Yes. the C1 I'm already locked on. What I was after was whether you tried the 3050 as well.

Think I'll pull the trigger on it. May as well get on with a full new more modern set. This has quickly turned out to be a lot more money than what I initially expected to spend lol.
post #52 of 105 Old 01-22-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
This has quickly turned out to be a lot more money than what I initially expected to spend lol.
Well, you would not be the first, nor the last, to have that experience.
sigpig likes this.

post #53 of 105 Old 01-22-2020, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, you would not be the first, nor the last, to have that experience.
Haha, yes, didn't think I'm special.
Pulled the trigger on the 3050 too, Nice guy too it seems, he was willing to bring them over from his "remote" location.
I don't have a car so this is proving to be a pretty tricky thing to do when it comes to large heavy products.

On an unrelated subject: Is there a way to have line spacing on posts here not change erratically after they are posted. I keep needing to edit cause my undiagnosed OCD won't let me leave it with odd spacing.

Last edited by AlexLac; 01-22-2020 at 04:22 PM.
post #54 of 105 Old 01-22-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
On an unrelated subject: Is there a way to have line spacing on posts here not change erratically after they are posted. I keep needing to edit cause my undiagnosed OCD won't let me leave it with odd spacing.
Well, if you're posting on AVS from a phone, all bets are off, all kinds of weird things are likely to happen with formatting. It's one of the reasons I normally use a computer.

post #55 of 105 Old 01-24-2020, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

https://i.imgur.com/KxEd140.jpg
Got all the speaker parts now. Now to wait for some small bits like the TV stand etc lol

Those JBLs are pretty heavy. Like 8lbs each. I really hope I will hang them properly otherwise they'll fall on my head, haha.

I can only hang them on a wall facing the TV, I think I need to tilt them a bit towards the viewer position, so I guess I need a hanger with a swivel?

Can anyone recommend one that is good and will hold that weight?

Quote:
Well, if you're posting on AVS from a phone, all bets are off, all kinds of weird things are likely to happen with formatting. It's one of the reasons I normally use a computer.
I'm actually not using a phone. Just as an example the above text had one space between the first 2 lines and the next 3 when I wrote it. But after posting an additional space line was added for every line...

Last edited by AlexLac; 01-24-2020 at 09:25 AM.
post #56 of 105 Old 02-11-2020, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

So far I've hooked up the QA 3050 and the C1. Still waiting on parts for the rest + now I'm thinking of trying to get a pair of QA bookshelves instead of the JBLs. They seem smaller/lighter and they have their own wall mounts. If I can get some for a discounted price that would be nice. Zorba922 gajCA or anyone else who would like to comment, you think those would be better than the JBL for surround purposes?

I've never used a center speaker so I will need to get used to it. It sounds a little weird to me atm having most the dialog come from there. Feels a little less clear that I would imagine it would sound. Thinking of hooking up one of the old Bb to see if it sounds different. There's stuff to do in the AVR too I suppose but I'm a total noob so I'd probably need some testing. Right now the AVR is pretty much at whatever the Audyssey calibration determined.

Last edited by AlexLac; 02-11-2020 at 03:11 AM.
post #57 of 105 Old 02-11-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
So far I've hooked up the QA 3050 and the C1. Still waiting on parts for the rest + now I'm thinking of trying to get a pair of QA bookshelves instead of the JBLs. They seem smaller/lighter and they have their own wall mounts.
No, I'd stick to the JBLs. The QA 3020 is too big/bulky/heavy and the 3010 has only 4" woofers vs the 5.25" on JBL; both QAs are rear ported. The JBLs are much slimmer depth-wise and have no port, plus mounting holes already in the back.

With the C1, make sure your receiver has them set on "small" and use an 80Hz crossover. You will need to set the correct distance and level match them to the QA towers through your receiver.
AlexLac likes this.

post #58 of 105 Old 02-11-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I can only hang them on a wall facing the TV, I think I need to tilt them a bit towards the viewer position, so I guess I need a hanger with a swivel?
https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Cla...dp/B000X9O8SI/
AlexLac likes this.

post #59 of 105 Old 02-11-2020, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No, I'd stick to the JBLs. The QA 3020 is too big/bulky/heavy and the 3010 has only 4" woofers vs the 5.25" on JBL; both QAs are rear ported. The JBLs are much slimmer depth-wise and have no port, plus mounting holes already in the back.
Thanks Zorba.

I initially thought the JBLs are heavier, but now that I'm looking at the specs again:
QA: Dimensions (H/D/W) 10.23" x 8.89" x 6.69". Weight: 4.6kg (10.14 pound)
JBL: Dimensions (H/D/W): 13.40" x 4.4" x 7.4" . Weight: 3.9kg (7.7 pounds)

They felt really heavy for small speakers, but I guess QA is heavier, ha. Thinking they are smaller was a part of why I wanted the QAs instead.The JBLs are taller but slimmer depth wise like you said. It can be really confusing when weight quoted is sometimes for the entire package and not per speaker....I've had to convert pounds to kgs, inches to cms and vice versa so many times for this project, not to mention dimensions that are stated without a clear H/D/W order which is often mixed up randomly. Pretty much have to inspect the pictures to tell which is which.

The one other thing I thought may be important (or not) is the QAs are more sensitive (92dB compared to 86 dB), and are capable of lower frequencies (64Hz compared to 100Hz). I really have no idea how important this is for real life usage

I already got something to mount them:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZE0O8U/
It looks fairly similar to the one you suggested which isn't available for me to import.
The QA has a mounting hole in the bottom that fits the wall mounts they sell. that looked also small and slick. They are fairly affordable (another reason I was leaning towards them).
Quote:
With the C1, make sure your receiver has them set on "small" and use an 80Hz crossover. You will need to set the correct distance and level match them to the QA towers through your receiver.
Aha, I had both the 3050 and the C1 set to Large. Now I changed the C1 to small it's crossover to 80Hz (changed from 40Hz default). The distances were measure during the Audyssey calibration and look about right.

That was another great piece of advise for a novice like myself so thanks for that too.

It's the first time I had one of those AVRs and I still haven't fully figured out all the uses other than the Audyssey calibration thing.
What I have it as now is under "Audio-->Audyssey- >MultiEQ=Reference" setting and Dynamic EQ/Volume set to Off. Manual EQ under this section is grey'd out, I'm sure I was able to turn it on before but can't remember how. I feel I would need to use it down the road. Under "Speakers " I've used the Manual Setup to do what you suggested. Does this sound about right?

Last edited by AlexLac; 02-11-2020 at 02:03 PM.
post #60 of 105 Old 02-11-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks Zorba.

I initially thought the JBLs are heavier, but now that I'm looking at the specs again:
QA: Dimensions (H/D/W) 10.23" x 8.89" x 6.69". Weight: 4.6kg (10.14 pound)
JBL: Dimensions (H/D/W): 13.40" x 4.4" x 7.4" . Weight: 3.9kg (7.7 pounds)

They felt really heavy for small speakers, but I guess QA is heavier, ha. Thinking they are smaller was a part of why I wanted the QAs instead.The JBLs are taller but slimmer depth wise like you said. It can be really confusing when weight quoted is sometimes for the entire package and not per speaker....I've had to convert pounds to kgs, inches to cms and vice versa so many times for this project, not to mention dimensions that are stated without a clear H/D/W order which is often mixed up randomly. Pretty much have to inspect the pictures to tell which is which.

The one other thing I thought may be important (or not) is the QAs are more sensitive (92dB compared to 86 dB), and are capable of lower frequencies (64Hz compared to 100Hz). I really have no idea how important this is for real life usage

I already got something to mount them:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZE0O8U/
It looks fairly similar to the one you suggested which isn't available for me to import.
The QA has a mounting hole in the bottom that fits the wall mounts they sell. that looked also small and slick. They are fairly affordable (another reason I was leaning towards them).

Aha, I had both the 3050 and the C1 set to Large. Now I changed the C1 to small it's crossover to 80Hz (changed from 40Hz default). The distances were measure during the Audyssey calibration and look about right.

That was another great piece of advise for a novice like myself so thanks for that too.

It's the first time I had one of those AVRs and I still haven't fully figured out all the uses other than the Audyssey calibration thing.
What I have it as now is under "Audio-->Audyssey- >MultiEQ=Reference" setting and Dynamic EQ/Volume set to Off. Manual EQ under this section is grey'd out, I'm sure I was able to turn it on before but can't remember how. I feel I would need to use it down the road. Under "Speakers " I've used the Manual Setup to do what you suggested. Does this sound about right?
Surrounds don't need to play much bass, so I wouldn't worry about the QA books having a little more extension. If the QAs are much cheaper than the JBLs for you, then sure why not as long as you don't have any trouble mounting them.

Use Audyssey settings as a starting point only, and manually readjust to suit your own tastes. When running a subwoofer in play, I'd set the QA towers on "small" at 60Hz or 80Hz crossover. The surrounds should definitely be 80Hz.
AlexLac likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page