Center for B&W DM580 or a set instead - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 01-11-2020, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Center for B&W DM580 or a set instead

Hi

I have an ancient pair of B&W DM580 fronts and I recently got a Marantz 5.1 AVR. Use is mostly for movies.
Now thinking of maybe getting more speakers to add at low cost, I'm no audiophile.

First thing I'm thinking of is to find center that would work with the fronts.
On an old thread on these forums, the DM600 IFS was suggested as something that should be a decent match (being a new user, it appears I can't post the link, and I didn't want to bump an old thread).

Been looking around if I can find one, but so far not had much luck. Saw one on ebay but shipping is very high.

Another option of course, is to replace the old ones with a 5-5.1 matching set. Been looking at 2nd hand sets as new sets are extremely expensive here, and testing out 2nd hand is quite difficult.
Maybe some Wharfedale or Jamo. I'm not sure what brands are reasonable for low budgets. For example I saw a rather cheap Jamo 606 5 speakers set.
I'm just not sure if such a set will not end up being an downgrade as far as fronts are considered compared to my old speakers.

I hope some of the experienced people on the forum can help me out with some tips.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-11-2020, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9547 Post(s)
Liked: 6589
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
Hi

I have an ancient pair of B&W DM580 fronts and I recently got a Marantz 5.1 AVR. Use is mostly for movies.
Now thinking of maybe getting more speakers to add at low cost, I'm no audiophile.

On an old thread on these forums, the DM600 IFS was suggested as something that should be a decent match (being a new user, it appears I can't post the link, and I didn't want to bump an old thread).

Been looking around if I can find one, but so far not had much luck. Saw one on ebay but shipping is very high.

Another option of course, is to replace the old ones with a 5-5.1 matching set. Been looking at 2nd hand sets as new sets are extremely expensive here, and testing out 2nd hand is quite difficult.
Maybe some Wharfedale or Jamo. I'm not sure what brands are reasonable for low budgets. For example I saw a rather cheap Jamo 606 5 speakers set.
I'm just not sure if such a set will not end up being an downgrade as far as fronts are considered compared to my old speakers.

I hope some of the experienced people on the forum can help me out with some tips.

Thanks in advance!
Q Acoustics speakers sounded VERY similar to my 1980s era B&Ws.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 39 Old 01-11-2020, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Q Acoustics speakers sounded VERY similar to my 1980s era B&Ws.

Thanks. I will have a look around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 01-11-2020, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7702 Post(s)
Liked: 5851
Quote:

No such thing as "matching" the center to the fronts. All you need is a center that's reasonably neutral so it doesn't call attention to itself, has adequate voice clarity so you can easily understand dialogue which is the main function of a center, and goes low enough so that male voices don't sound like castrated chipmunks.

Some proven performers:
  • Emotiva C1 or C2
  • Chane A2.4
  • Ascend 340SE
AlexLac likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 39 Old 01-12-2020, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
No such thing as "matching" the center to the fronts. All you need is a center that's reasonably neutral so it doesn't call attention to itself, has adequate voice clarity so you can easily understand dialogue which is the main function of a center, and goes low enough so that male voices don't sound like castrated chipmunks.

Some proven performers:
  • Emotiva C1 or C2
  • Chane A2.4
  • Ascend 340SE
Thank you for the very useful information. I will have a look at those today.

What would you (or anyone else who wishes to suggest) do:

1) Add speakers to the B&W I already have
or
2) Buy a 2nd hand reasonable entry level 5-5.1 set (not interested in the tiny HC sets). After a few weeks looking though ads the next seem to pop up quite a lot:
Jamo 606 or similar series

Wharfedale Valdus 400 or similar series
Peerless (not sure on the seties)

Thanks.
post #6 of 39 Old 01-12-2020, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Some proven performers:
  • Emotiva C1 or C2
  • Chane A2.4
  • Ascend 340SE

I had a look around. The Emotiva and Ascend would be a bit too big, I only have like 7" height available in my cabinet. The Chane one seems pretty hard to find. Their website is blocked to my country, so it's unlikely they ship over + shipping and import tax would likely be very aggressive.

Any other recommendations?
post #7 of 39 Old 01-12-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I had a look around. The Emotiva and Ascend would be a bit too big, I only have like 7" height available in my cabinet. The Chane one seems pretty hard to find. Their website is blocked to my country, so it's unlikely they ship over + shipping and import tax would likely be very aggressive.
Which country are you in?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #8 of 39 Old 01-12-2020, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Which country are you in?
Israel.
post #9 of 39 Old 01-12-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Israel.
Are Wharfedale speakers available over there? If so, I'd get a pair of their Diamond 220 and use one on its side as your center.

If you strongly prefer a horizontal dual woofer center, Ascend's 200SE and Duo LCR would both fit your 7" height limit...you'd have to email Ascend to ask for a shipping quote though.

post #10 of 39 Old 01-12-2020, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are Wharfedale speakers available over there? If so, I'd get a pair of their Diamond 220 and use one on its side as your center.

If you strongly prefer a horizontal dual woofer center, Ascend's 200SE and Duo LCR would both fit your 7" height limit...you'd have to email Ascend to ask for a shipping quote though.
I don't see those specific Wharfedale for sale but maybe I can find them second hand. I suspect this 2nd hand one might be it: https://img2.ad.co.il/SecondHandImages/2897169_0.jpg
Seller didn't specify the model.

The Ascend 200SE seems like something that they sell as small fronts or a single center from what I can see, right? I see both on the same product page with just one dimension.

The big problem with importing is the extreme shipping costs + high import fees. Pretty much anything over $75 requires taxes. For example, if I buy a speaker on ebay that costs $99, I have to add about $70 for shipping + $50 for import fees. Amazon pre-collected tax fees appear to be lower for some reason.

Can you maybe rate the next options. i.e which would be the best option in your opinion and which would be the least advised:

1) Wait for a B&W DM600 to show up in a price that's worth importing. I see it isn't super rare and several have been sold the last months for rather low prices.
2) Get something like the ones you suggested ^^
3) Get a budget set 2nd hand that seem to have been popular here, and pop up for sale quite often (Jamo 606, WD Valdus or Atlantic). But wouldn't that be an overall downgrade compared to what I have now (which isn't like a rare gem but possibly better than such series)?

It's not something I need to get done in a rush. I've lived with just 2 fronts for many years

I'm really grateful for you taking the time to advise me. My knowledge is very basic in this area.
post #11 of 39 Old 01-12-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I don't see those specific Wharfedale for sale but maybe I can find them second hand. I suspect this 2nd hand one might be it: https://img2.ad.co.il/SecondHandImages/2897169_0.jpg
Seller didn't specify the model.

The Ascend 200SE seems like something that they sell as small fronts or a single center from what I can see, right? I see both on the same product page with just one dimension.

The big problem with importing is the extreme shipping costs + high import fees. Pretty much anything over $75 requires taxes. For example, if I buy a speaker on ebay that costs $99, I have to add about $70 for shipping + $50 for import fees. Amazon pre-collected tax fees appear to be lower for some reason.

Can you maybe rate the next options. i.e which would be the best option in your opinion and which would be the least advised:

1) Wait for a B&W DM600 to show up in a price that's worth importing. I see it isn't super rare and several have been sold the last months for rather low prices.
2) Get something like the ones you suggested ^^
3) Get a budget set 2nd hand that seem to have been popular here, and pop up for sale quite often (Jamo 606, WD Valdus or Atlantic). But wouldn't that be an overall downgrade compared to what I have now (which isn't like a rare gem but possibly better than such series)?
That picture is of the Wharfedale Diamond 220 or 225, either of which would work perfectly...if you can position it vertically it would be even better. How much is the seller asking? For reference, the 220 is currently 200USD/pr and 225 is 300USD/pr here.

Option 2. B&W centers are overpriced and not particularly great. Jamo has a good rep, I don't know anything about Atlantic, but Wharfedale Valdus is one of their bottom-of-the-barrel lines so I would avoid it.

post #12 of 39 Old 01-12-2020, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That picture is of the Wharfedale Diamond 220 or 225, either of which would work perfectly...if you can position it vertically it would be even better. How much is the seller asking? For reference, the 220 is currently 200USD/pr and 225 is 300USD/pr here.

Option 2. B&W centers are overpriced and not particularly great. Jamo has a good rep, I don't know anything about Atlantic, but Wharfedale Valdus is one of their bottom-of-the-barrel lines so I would avoid it.
Seller asks for about $145 for those. The listing is a couple months old, so they could be sold out already. It's not a site you pay on like eBay, and often sellers don't bother to remove the listing after they sold them.
There is a new listing of the 220 for $200 but it white which doesn't appeal to me
Placing them vertically is possible, but it would be on the floor in front of the cabinet, aesthetically not pleasing. I'd have to decide what would annoy me less: That or having the logo on the side

thanks again.

Last edited by AlexLac; 01-12-2020 at 03:12 PM.
post #13 of 39 Old 01-12-2020, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Jamo has a good rep
There's someone who sells the 606 5speakers set for like $175. There are a few 606 series I believe, HCS1, HCS2, etc. We couldn't really determine which one he sells as the back only says 606.
https://img.yad2.co.il/Pic/201911/22...6&w=1024&h=768
https://img.yad2.co.il/Pic/201911/22...6&w=1024&h=768

That price is so cheap, it makes me suspicious as to what you can expect to get for such a price. Reviews I read were mostly positive though.

Last edited by AlexLac; 01-12-2020 at 03:11 PM.
post #14 of 39 Old 01-12-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Seller asks for about $145 for those. The listing is a couple months old, so they could be sold out already. It's not a site you pay on like eBay, and often sellers don't bother to remove the listing after they sold them.
There is a new listing of the 220 for $200 but it white which doesn't appeal to me
Placing them vertically is possible, but it would be on the floor in front of the cabinet, aesthetically not pleasing. I'd have to decide what would annoy me less: That or having the logo on the side
oh my god, NEVER put *any* speakers on the floor! You want the tweeter to be at ear level of your main listening position, this makes a HUGE difference. If you have speakers on the floor you're better off just using Bluetooth headphones, to be honest.

check the first listing, just in case.

There is a Tel Aviv distributor listed on the Wharfedale site:
https://www.wharfedale.co.uk/global-distributor/
AlexLac likes this.

post #15 of 39 Old 01-12-2020, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
oh my god, NEVER put *any* speakers on the floor! You want the tweeter to be at ear level of your main listening position, this makes a HUGE difference. If you have speakers on the floor you're better off just using Bluetooth headphones, to be honest.

check the first listing, just in case.

There is a Tel Aviv distributor listed on the Wharfedale site:
https://www.wharfedale.co.uk/global-distributor/
Hehe, I told you I have minimal knowledge. The shelf I can slide it in is about 20" high (so 20" from the floor+7" height). I don't like mounting the TV on the wall, so there isn't other room under it (I saw some people put the TV on the center speaker which looks terrible to me). I suppose that isn't an optimal positioning either.

I now found those 220s new on a local site. They are "slightly" more expensive here. $430 (vs $199 on amazon).
You can pretty much see why importing (shipping + tax) or new locally isn't the best option. Which is why I'm looking into pre-owned.
post #16 of 39 Old 01-12-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Hehe, I told you I have minimal knowledge. The shelf I can slide it in is about 20" high (so 20" from the floor+7" height). I don't like mounting the TV on the wall, so there isn't other room under it (I saw some people put the TV on the center speaker which looks terrible to me). I suppose that isn't an optimal positioning either.

I now found those 220s new on a local site. They are "slightly" more expensive here. $430 (vs $199 on amazon).
You can pretty much see why importing (shipping + tax) or new locally isn't the best option. Which is why I'm looking into pre-owned.
Well, on a 20" shelf you can at least use rubber doorstop wedges or something to angle the speaker up so that the tweeter points at or above ear level.

Putting the TV on the center speaker isn't a bad idea as long as it's a good center speaker. The center does 70-80% of the HT output and 99% of the dialogue, so that is precisely where you do not want to cut any corners...easier to get used to the sub-optimal looks than having to tolerate muddy/garbled dialogue.

I can't imagine Amazon's shipping plus customs adding up to a $230 price increase. I'd ask them for a quote just in case. But yeah, you're right to look around for used deals.
AlexLac likes this.

post #17 of 39 Old 01-12-2020, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, on a 20" shelf you can at least use rubber doorstop wedges or something to angle the speaker up so that the tweeter points at or above ear level.

I can't imagine Amazon's shipping plus customs adding up to a $230 price increase. I'd ask them for a quote just in case. But yeah, you're right to look around for used deals.
It's a cabinet with 3 shelves, each is about 7" high. So there isn't much room for tilting.

Maybe putting the TV on it isn't such a bad idea, though I'm used to the height the TV is at now

I think you'd be right that Amazon won't mount to $430 total, only problem is they don't ship it to here. Those items are often sold by Amazon sellers, and not Amazon themselves (in this case it's sold by Music Direct). It's sometimes really hard to find the right item with all the inventory they list. Not even all Amazon products ship here e.g Amazon Fire Stick.
I had a look at Amazon UK. That pair would cost $238 there, but $396 landed. So yeah, the price differences are staggering.
As I'm not in a rush, I think the best way to go is indeed to find a used deal.

BTW, those 220s are hat's known as bookshelf speakers, aren't they?

Last edited by AlexLac; 01-12-2020 at 05:48 PM.
post #18 of 39 Old 01-13-2020, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

@Zorba922
Thought I'd mention also that there are a lot of various other centers offered here pre-owned. The WD and Jamo seem were popular on the sets side, as I assume they were attractively priced for someone who wanted to get a set.

Here are some affordably priced ones I currently see (without going into the specific series or dimensions):

Bose, Peerless, Sony, Infinity, Monitor Audio, Gamut, PSB, AR, Polk, Mission, Mordaunt Short, JBL, Cerwin Vega, Koda, Akira, Paradigm.

Maybe one of those brands would be worth looking into?
post #19 of 39 Old 01-13-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
@Zorba922
Bose, Peerless, Sony, Infinity, Monitor Audio, Gamut, PSB, AR, Polk, Mission, Mordaunt Short, JBL, Cerwin Vega, Koda, Akira, Paradigm.

Maybe one of those brands would be worth looking into?
Definitely not Bose, Polk, or Sony.

Definitely not anything with 4.5" or smaller woofers.

I would try to find a 3-way design.

post #20 of 39 Old 01-13-2020, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

@Zorba922

Thanks.

That second hand set for $150 is sold out already as I expected. There is a new listing for those but at over double the price.

What Q Acoustics that gajCA suggested?
https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-acous...l-speaker.html
Would be $220 landed from amazon.co.uk...it's still more that I want to pay, but any thoughts on it?

Honestly, I have so little knowledge, that I'm not sure what should I even be looking for. If there was some list of must-have and must-not-have specs, I could probably deal with it better. But I'm guessing it's more than just dry specs.

Last edited by AlexLac; 01-14-2020 at 04:50 AM.
post #21 of 39 Old 01-14-2020, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe B&W CC6 S2?
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...w-600-series-2
There are a couple second hand ones I see on sale here for reasonable price.

Last edited by AlexLac; 01-14-2020 at 05:02 AM.
post #22 of 39 Old 01-14-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:

What Q Acoustics that gajCA suggested?
https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-acous...l-speaker.html
Would be $220 landed from amazon.co.uk...it's still more that I want to pay, but any thoughts on it?
I home demoed the 3090 many years ago, along with a bunch of other QA speakers. I concluded that their center and subwoofer were the huge weak spot in their line up, because their bookshelf speakers are quite good. The 3090 sounded small and boxy to my ears. When I substituted a single 3020 in the center position, it was far better.

You'd be better off getting a pair of these and using one as your center:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-A...dp/B00ELKQBJ4/

post #23 of 39 Old 01-14-2020, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I home demoed the 3090 many years ago, along with a bunch of other QA speakers. I concluded that their center and subwoofer were the huge weak spot in their line up, because their bookshelf speakers are quite good. The 3090 sounded small and boxy to my ears. When I substituted a single 3020 in the center position, it was far better.

You'd be better off getting a pair of these and using one as your center:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-A...dp/B00ELKQBJ4/
Thanks.
I found a guy selling the C1. Price would be same as ordering from Emotiva directly with shipping and tax, $290. Maybe I will just get that and mount the TV on top. Given the strong recommendation on this speaker and where it should be placed, it appears to be the best choice.
He also has a pair of E1, may be worth getting too? Emotiva only sells E1 surrounds now, his look more like the B1.
post #24 of 39 Old 01-14-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks.
I found a guy selling the C1. Price would be same as ordering from Emotiva directly with shipping and tax, $290. Maybe I will just get that and mount the TV on top. Given the strong recommendation on this speaker and where it should be placed, it appears to be the best choice.
He also has a pair of E1, may be worth getting too? Emotiva only sells E1 surrounds now, his look more like the B1.
Yes, I'd grab the C1 if I were you.

If you care about matching the surrounds, then the E1 wouldn't hurt...just keep in mind it has to be wall mounted, and optimal positioning is different than normal bookshelf speakers used as surrounds.

post #25 of 39 Old 01-14-2020, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I'd grab the C1 if I were you.

If you care about matching the surrounds, then the E1 wouldn't hurt...just keep in mind it has to be wall mounted, and optimal positioning is different than normal bookshelf speakers used as surrounds.
I don't really care about matching the surrounds. It's just an opportunity to cover more pieces, maybe I'd be better off getting something cheaper (it would be about double the price adding his surrounds), or bookshelfs?.

IIRC the surrounds needs to be hanged rather high up and positioned towards the fronts, while the bookshelves can be lower and positioned towards the listener?

Sorry, I'm a total noob and might be talking rubbish

My current space is pretty narrow and problematic, which is why I never really bothered getting more speakers. Getting a newer AVR made me rethink it. I don't even have much space between the fronts, something like 4 feet. I read a center may not be very effective with such a short distance.
post #26 of 39 Old 01-14-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I don't really care about matching the surrounds. It's just an opportunity to cover more pieces, maybe I'd be better off getting something cheaper (it would be about double the price adding his surrounds), or bookshelfs?.

IIRC the surrounds needs to be hanged rather high up and positioned towards the fronts, while the bookshelves can be lower and positioned towards the listener?

Sorry, I'm a total noob and might be talking rubbish

My current space is pretty narrow and problematic, which is why I never really bothered getting more speakers. Getting a newer AVR made me rethink it. I don't even have much space between the fronts, something like 4 feet. I read a center may not be very effective with such a short distance.
If you've been fine without rear surrounds for this long, then by all means don't bother. I've been super happy with a 3.1 setup in my media room too.

post #27 of 39 Old 01-14-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I don't even have much space between the fronts, something like 4 feet. I read a center may not be very effective with such a short distance.
The main advantage of having a center speaker in such a narrow distance is that it gives you the ability to increase the volume of just the center relative to the L/R speakers, to improve dialogue clarity if needed (especially if your L/R speakers don't have great voice clarity).

And in theory, the center speaker allows for greater dialogue intelligibility off-axis, if you have a viewing party where people are spread out across the room in front of the screen.

post #28 of 39 Old 01-15-2020, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you've been fine without rear surrounds for this long, then by all means don't bother. I've been super happy with a 3.1 setup in my media room too.
Some gold advises from you, sir. Really appreciate it.

I got a couple of jenky speaker sets I kept from mini systems friends threw out. I wonder if those could be used for anything (like a bookshelf)?

1) Sony SS-CCP1 https://servlib.com/sony/audio/cmt-cp1k-ss-ccp1.html
This one doesn't even have cable ports. it has a cable coming out of the back. So not sure if there's much to do with it even if it's not complete trash.

2) Sony SS-RXD8 https://servlib.com/sony/audio/mhc-r...-ss-rxd8s.html
This one is bulky and very ugly
post #29 of 39 Old 01-15-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Some gold advises from you, sir. Really appreciate it.

I got a couple of jenky speaker sets I kept from mini systems friends threw out. I wonder if those could be used for anything (like a bookshelf)?

1) Sony SS-CCP1 https://servlib.com/sony/audio/cmt-cp1k-ss-ccp1.html
This one doesn't even have cable ports. it has a cable coming out of the back. So not sure if there's much to do with it even if it's not complete trash.

2) Sony SS-RXD8 https://servlib.com/sony/audio/mhc-r...-ss-rxd8s.html
This one is bulky and very ugly
If they came from those all-in-one compact stereo systems from 20-30 years ago, I'd get rid of them. Those all-in-one sets usually had so-so electronics but the crappiest speakers possible. I suppose you could try them as rear surrounds since you already have them, though.

post #30 of 39 Old 01-15-2020, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If they came from those all-in-one compact stereo systems from 20-30 years ago, I'd get rid of them. Those all-in-one sets usually had so-so electronics but the crappiest speakers possible. I suppose you could try them as rear surrounds since you already have them, though.
I tried the small ones. They look fairly decent visually. I guess making cheap stuff out of plastic was not a standard like it is today. They have the cable wires coming out of them (super thin ones).
I plugged them in, placed then on top of the fronts and set them as surrounds in the AVR. Since they don't have speaker wire ports I could only use them at a short distance.

There is sound coming. Is it any good? I have nothing to compare with As I set them as surrounds, mostly atmospherics come off them anyway. I'd have to see how to extend the wires if I really wanna try them out I guess. Probably not worth it.

The other set is way too ugly for me to even try out

Oh, and when I pulled out the AVR to reach the ports, some small rubber ring came off it, I have no idea where from. I couldn't find any spot that looks like it's missing it, ha.
https://i.imgur.com/PvZ6MWT.jpg

Last edited by AlexLac; 01-15-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page