Installing Self-Anchoring Eye Bolt & safety cable on Atmos speaker - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2020, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Installing Self-Anchoring Eye Bolt & safety cable on Atmos speaker

I have Katherine speaker that will need a safety cable attached for an Atmos installation. Access into the speaker is difficult through the drivers (soldered with short wire leads), so I am going to have a difficult time gaining access to install a nut on the inside of the cabinet to secure the bolt. I can get in through the the speaker terminal port, and install a traditional eye bolt and nut, but the eye bolt and cable would attach to the bottom of the speaker. In the event of a mounting failure the speaker would swing wildly and get damaged against the wall. I could flip the speaker upside down so the eye loop/bolt is on top, but not sure if it will have any detrimental impact on the sound of this speaker. I will have to check with EW on this. If anyone has used a self-anchoring eye bolt that requires no internal access to secure a nut, please let me know, and if possible provide a link.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-13-2020, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
I have Katherine speaker that will need a safety cable attached for an Atmos installation. Access into the speaker is difficult through the drivers (soldered with short wire leads), so I am going to have a difficult time gaining access to install a nut on the inside of the cabinet to secure the bolt. I can get in through the the speaker terminal port, and install a traditional eye bolt and nut, but the eye bolt and cable would attach to the bottom of the speaker. In the event of a mounting failure the speaker would swing wildly and get damaged against the wall. I could flip the speaker upside down so the eye loop/bolt is on top, but not sure if it will have any detrimental impact on the sound of this speaker. I will have to check with EW on this. If anyone has used a self-anchoring eye bolt that requires no internal access to secure a nut, please let me know, and if possible provide a link.

Thanks.

I suppose that any modification to a speaker cabinet must have SOME effect, but, that said...

Could you use a toggle bolt anchor? They come in myriad sizes and you could find one to fit the threads on an eye bolt.

There are lots of different anchor types available - often given a weight rating (note: it is a STATIC weight rating - you'd need to account for any drop and compensate with a higher rating).

Do what I do in such cases.... go to Home Depot and browse or look at their website (homedepot.com).
post #3 of 7 Old 01-13-2020, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncSyncHalt View Post

I suppose that any modification to a speaker cabinet must have SOME effect, but, that said...

Could you use a toggle bolt anchor? They come in myriad sizes and you could find one to fit the threads on an eye bolt.

There are lots of different anchor types available - often given a weight rating (note: it is a STATIC weight rating - you'd need to account for any drop and compensate with a higher rating).

Do what I do in such cases.... go to Home Depot and browse or look at their website (homedepot.com).
I have been to many websites including HD and Lowes. Was looking to see if there were other specialty options that were a bit less invasive (larger than necessary hole size).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-13-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I have been to many websites including HD and Lowes. Was looking to see if there were other specialty options that were a bit less invasive (larger than necessary hole size).

There are some anchors which require a hole only marginally larger than the bolt (toggle bolt anchors do indeed require a larger hole). Could you get a tee nut inside? If so, then you'd only need a hole very slightly larger than the bolt used.

My concern is the dynamic force developed should your primary mount fail. The simplest solution, a screw eye, might not have sufficient holding power.

If you want to go the next step, contact a pro audio or lighting shop. They HAVE to be concerned with safety!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-14-2020, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A tee nut would work great if I had access inside, then again a normal nut would work as well. Access is poor at the top of the speaker. Second best would be a screw eye, but as you mention the force exerted from a mounting failure could rip it out. I will contact EW at this point to see what they advice. No doubt it is a tricky situation that has my installer scratching his head as well. Thanks for your suggestions.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-15-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
A tee nut would work great if I had access inside, then again a normal nut would work as well. Access is poor at the top of the speaker. Second best would be a screw eye, but as you mention the force exerted from a mounting failure could rip it out. I will contact EW at this point to see what they advice. No doubt it is a tricky situation that has my installer scratching his head as well. Thanks for your suggestions.

Please post whatever you find/decide - it's an interesting topic!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-15-2020, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncSyncHalt View Post
Please post whatever you find/decide - it's an interesting topic!
Will do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page