Paradigm monitor series vs KEF Q series vs HTD Level 3 vs Chane A5.5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 01-13-2020, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Paradigm monitor series vs KEF Q series vs HTD Level 3 vs Chane A5.5 vs Elac

The title is a mouthful…but that’s kind of where I’m at. My budget is $1k to “maybe” $1600 for a set of good quality floor standing speakers. These will mainly be for music but they also will be used for watching TV in a 3.1 setup. For some reference….the speakers I just got rid of (because wife got tired of them in the living room) were an old pair of Klipsch forte II’s. I loved the sound. Picked up a set of used Klipsch Rf35’s and, while they are ok, they are not getting me where I want to be. I really need a 3 way setup.

I WILL have the opportunity to listen to the Paradigms and the KEF’s….but not the HTD or Chane. So really looking for info from people who have got the Chanes or HTD’s and can directly compare them to Paradigm or KEF.

I should also point out that I have the opportunity to pick up a set of "well used" Paradigm Studio 100's V4...for just under a grand. a little beat up...and grill cloth ripped...but they sound very good. I am not 100% sure that any of the above can beat those...

Last edited by kingsxman; 01-15-2020 at 05:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-13-2020, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 445
what characteristics are you looking for ?

Warm, Neutral, Bright, forward?

how important is sound-stage, imaging, dynamics?

do you want accurate bass and highs or boosted?

since you enjoyed those Klipsch i'll assume you enjoy a bright/forward sound.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
post #3 of 34 Old 01-13-2020, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
what characteristics are you looking for ?

Warm, Neutral, Bright, forward?

how important is sound-stage, imaging, dynamics?

do you want accurate bass and highs or boosted?

since you enjoyed those Klipsch i'll assume you enjoy a bright/forward sound.
Thanks. Good questions and I dont know that I have great answers. I do probably like a brighter sound but not harsh. (Some may say the Klipsch could be harsh...and I maybe can see that..but thats why I have a treble control). I'll say I mainly listen to rock/blues and jazz. I like very tight bass. HATE boomy bass...hence why I may not add a sub to these....(depending on how the bass sounds).

I'm curious as to how you would describe a "forward" sound. I havent heard that term before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 01-13-2020, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7702 Post(s)
Liked: 5851
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsxman View Post
I should also point out that I have the opportunity to pick up a set of "well used" Paradigm Studio 100's V4...for just under a grand. a little beat up...and grill cloth ripped...but they sound very good. I am not 100% sure that any of the above can beat those...
The Studio 100s sound good but require beefy amplification to reach their full potential. Also, the tweeter is slightly harsh to my ears...but YMMV.

Of the 3 speakers you listed, I'd go with the Chane A5.5

However, I'd also consider the Emotiva T2 and T1 if you're ok with their futuristic styling.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 34 Old 01-13-2020, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Definitely the chane A5.5

Living Room: 5.1.2 PSA MT110L/R | PSA MTM210C | Polk TSi100 S/R | Atmos in-ceiling Mag6R
SUB: PSA V1512
RECEIVER: Denon X3400H
DISPLAY: Vizio P65-C1
SOURCES, MISC, & 2ch: Xbox One X, Harmony Elite, Aircom T10, Chane A1.5 & AD18
post #6 of 34 Old 01-14-2020, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The Studio 100s sound good but require beefy amplification to reach their full potential. Also, the tweeter is slightly harsh to my ears...but YMMV.

Of the 3 speakers you listed, I'd go with the Chane A5.5

However, I'd also consider the Emotiva T2 and T1 if you're ok with their futuristic styling.
Thanks. I think the 100's are gone so probably wont be an issue unless I find another pair. Curious why you (And Rhelliott2) both recommend the Chane over the others. Do you have them? I checked the Emotiva and am not a huge fan of the looks. (Someone referred to them as "batmobile like" and I see that.) But if they are better than the others...I will consider them.

So one "concern" I'm thinking of about the HTD or the Chane's.......you dont see them listed for sale ever other than maybe here. I have yet to see one on a craigslist or a Facebook marketplace. Of course..that could be because they are so good no one will sell them...but it leads me to think that if I ever wanted to sell them it may be hard.
SyncSyncHalt likes this.

Last edited by kingsxman; 01-14-2020 at 05:12 AM.
post #7 of 34 Old 01-14-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I think the 100's are gone so probably wont be an issue unless I find another pair. Curious why you (And Rhelliott2) both recommend the Chane over the others. Do you have them? I checked the Emotiva and am not a huge fan of the looks. (Someone referred to them as "batmobile like" and I see that.) But if they are better than the others...I will consider them.

So one "concern" I'm thinking of about the HTD or the Chane's.......you dont see them listed for sale ever other than maybe here. I have yet to see one on a craigslist or a Facebook marketplace. Of course..that could be because they are so good no one will sell them...but it leads me to think that if I ever wanted to sell them it may be hard.
Yes, I use a Chane A2.4 as my center...totally happy with it, and I've gone through tons of centers. The planar tweeter and XBL woofers provide a huge soundstage, great dynamics/punch, and excellent but non-fatiguing detail. So I can only imagine that the A5.5 would just be even more of a good thing. (It wasn't in stock at the time I was in the market, plus I found a killer deal on a pair of JBL mini-towers that I couldn't pass up.)

If you don't like the Emotiva aesthetics then I think Chane would be an equally good choice, with a much less controversial look.
kingsxman likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #8 of 34 Old 01-14-2020, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I use a Chane A2.4 as my center...totally happy with it, and I've gone through tons of centers. The planar tweeter and XBL woofers provide a huge soundstage, great dynamics/punch, and excellent but non-fatiguing detail. So I can only imagine that the A5.5 would just be even more of a good thing. (It wasn't in stock at the time I was in the market, plus I found a killer deal on a pair of JBL mini-towers that I couldn't pass up.)

If you don't like the Emotiva aesthetics then I think Chane would be an equally good choice, with a much less controversial look.
thanks. I appreciate the advice. I hope to be able to listen to some paradigms and KEF's this week. Then it'll probably be a "do I trust taking a stab in the dark" on a mail order.
post #9 of 34 Old 01-14-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
thanks. I appreciate the advice. I hope to be able to listen to some paradigms and KEF's this week. Then it'll probably be a "do I trust taking a stab in the dark" on a mail order.
KEF Q series are nice, just be aware that they gouge you out the wazoo on the center speaker if you are a "timbre matching" believer.

Well, there are some internet direct companies that provide free return shipping (RSL, JBL, etc.) and vendors with free returns (Amazon Prime) or highly subsidized almost-free returns (Crutchfield), so it doesn't HAVE to be a big risk.

But really, if you think about it, for the average $50 to send back a pair of bookshelf speakers that could save you 4-8 times that amount versus a retail speaker---it's a worthwhile calculated risk.

post #10 of 34 Old 01-14-2020, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
KEF Q series are nice, just be aware that they gouge you out the wazoo on the center speaker if you are a "timbre matching" believer.

Well, there are some internet direct companies that provide free return shipping (RSL, JBL, etc.) and vendors with free returns (Amazon Prime) or highly subsidized almost-free returns (Crutchfield), so it doesn't HAVE to be a big risk.

But really, if you think about it, for the average $50 to send back a pair of bookshelf speakers that could save you 4-8 times that amount versus a retail speaker---it's a worthwhile calculated risk.
I actually have a pretty nice Paradigm center channel already that I bummed from a buddy after the Klipsch RC3 i bought (used) didnt cut it. Its definitely not timber matched, but for this application...I dont see it as an issue. Music is most important in this setup.

I'm looking at ordering some pretty big speakers (not bookshelves) so the shipping cost, if its on me, would potentially be substantial. I have to check in with all companies on how much that would be. In looking at the size of the Chanes...they may be a little too tall. The Klipsch RF35's I have now are 40" tall and look about perfect. Adding another 4" may be too tall. (My wife said she didnt want to go any taller...)
post #11 of 34 Old 01-14-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
II'm looking at ordering some pretty big speakers (not bookshelves) so the shipping cost, if its on me, would potentially be substantial. I have to check in with all companies on how much that would be. In looking at the size of the Chanes...they may be a little too tall. The Klipsch RF35's I have now are 40" tall and look about perfect. Adding another 4" may be too tall. (My wife said she didnt want to go any taller...)
I would check out these---they're sort of old school looking in that they're BIG bookshelves with 8" woofers, but if music is your priority this would be worth a shot. And they go down to 40Hz so you might actually be ok without a sub if you wanted.
https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...ogany-OPEN-BOX

PS. Crutchfield's $10 flat rate return shipping policy should apply to these too since they're not officially towers. I'd call to confirm first though.

post #12 of 34 Old 01-15-2020, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would check out these---they're sort of old school looking in that they're BIG bookshelves with 8" woofers, but if music is your priority this would be worth a shot. And they go down to 40Hz so you might actually be ok without a sub if you wanted.
https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...ogany-OPEN-BOX

PS. Crutchfield's $10 flat rate return shipping policy should apply to these too since they're not officially towers. I'd call to confirm first though.
Thanks. Unfortunately those are too much like what i got rid of as far as looks. These are going to have to be a taller, slim speaker.

Also, after looking a bit...I have to add Elac into what I'm considering. The Elac Uni-fi UF5 and the Uni-Fi FS 5f Slim look pretty good.
post #13 of 34 Old 01-15-2020, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Quote:

While I agree the q650c is overpriced at full retail next to no one I come across paid that much lol. Its frequently on sale for $450 USD and is a phenomenal center. All the brightness issues you read about is actually audyssey boosting the eq around 1k-5k in reference mode. Once i started using a tripod/boom mic stand those problems went away. The center is incredibly neutral.

With that being said the OP may not be looking for a neutral sounding speaker.(q750/q650 = neutral, q350/q150 not so much )

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
post #14 of 34 Old 01-16-2020, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 704
HTD has free return shipping on your FIRST bookshelf pair or centre speaker. You could simply order a pair of their Level THREE bookshelfs to audition against others.

IIRC, Crutchfield charges a mere $10 for return shipping on bookshelf speakers (as long as both are in one box). They can be used as a resource too. I would order a pair of Klipsch RP-600M bookshelfs since they have the best tweeter design short of the RF-7iii and Heritage series.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #15 of 34 Old 01-16-2020, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
HTD has free return shipping on your FIRST bookshelf pair or centre speaker. You could simply order a pair of their Level THREE bookshelfs to audition against others.
I've always been curious about their speakers. Price point is pretty good, and it's actual wood veneer if you get the Macassar Ebony finish. I was looking that their Level 3 sub at one point, and when I asked if I could see the frequency graph, they gave me the runaround on why they never release that info.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 01-16-2020 at 08:31 PM.
post #16 of 34 Old 01-16-2020, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
I've always been curious about their speakers. Price point if pretty good, and it's actual wood veneer if you get the Macassar Ebony finish. I was looking that their Level 3 sub at one point, and when I asked if I could see the frequency graph, they gave me the runaround on why they never release that info.
You can't go wrong with the Paradigms. I find Klipsch to be harsh to my ears. Never heard of Chane. Paradigms are well known for their neutral character. I like to start with a neutral slate and if I want to add colour I can do that with EQ. Buying a speaker that comes with a signature coloured sound does not appeal to me. But if you find a sound that you like then go for it.

Healthy skepticism is the best component for your HT
post #17 of 34 Old 01-17-2020, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Update. So I went to a high end stereo store in town (one of the only ones) with the intent purpose of auditioning the paradigm monitor 6000's, the premier 8000f and the KEF Q series speakers. They were all supposed to be there. However they didnt have any of the Q series on hand. I did get to audition both paradigm against some KLH, Golden Ear and Focal chora 826. I went home with the Focal chora's. I have to say that the monitor series really held its own against the Paradigm premier 8000f. But the 8000F had a more refined sound...but the monitors had deeper bass (which was surprising). The Focals had the best imaging of all 3 and just had something different in the sound that I liked. The demo unit was a light wood with a gray grille. Looked good but I knew I wanted black. I saw one picture of the speakers in black without the grille and figured they'd be fine.

Fast forward to the setup: I pull them out of the boxes at home and start to set them up and realize that the black doesnt look like I anticipated. The speakers are a gloss black and the grille is a light gray. I assumed (because they didnt have a picture of the speakers with the grille) that the grille would be black also. 0h oh. I didnt care for the look and I was worried what my wife was going to say. (These are in the living room). I was right to be worried. She hated them. By far the biggest disappointment however was hooking them up side by side with my Klipsch and definitely not hearing a $1800 worth of difference. In fact the Klipsch had better bass. I know the focals will be better once they get broken in but I cant wait that long. Only 7 day return for money back. So....going back. sigh.

The whole thing has me questioning this whole process. My Klipsch RF35's are only a 2 way speaker..but the midrange wasnt that big of a difference in the room vs the Focals. Granted...I was playing some Steely Dan as test material because both my wife and I love them so not a lot of loud midrange guitars. I'll listen again today but for now....I'm a bit stuck on what to do. I would assume bringing home the Paradigm 8000f (same price as Focals) will probably give me the same lack of "wow" factor against my cheap craiglist Klipsch speakers...

sigh. disappointed.
post #18 of 34 Old 01-17-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
The whole thing has me questioning this whole process. My Klipsch RF35's are only a 2 way speaker..but the midrange wasnt that big of a difference in the room vs the Focals. Granted...I was playing some Steely Dan as test material because both my wife and I love them so not a lot of loud midrange guitars. I'll listen again today but for now....I'm a bit stuck on what to do. I would assume bringing home the Paradigm 8000f (same price as Focals) will probably give me the same lack of "wow" factor against my cheap craiglist Klipsch speakers...
If the boutique store will refund all your money without sticking you with a "restocking fee" or trying to guilt-trip you into buying something else from them, I'd take advantage of Crutchfield's $10 flat rate return policy instead. If you're looking for nice full midrange, Klipsch Focal and Paradigm would not be at the top of my list.

post #19 of 34 Old 01-17-2020, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked: 2884
Go back to the Chane ... give them some break-in time, then listen. If you don't hear any difference from your current, then you are just a klipsch guy.

BTW, you can't make up your mind after just a short listening session, the Klipsch have been training your ears for a very long time. Takes a while to untrain your ears to hear the true differences, especially the more subtle ones.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 01-17-2020 at 09:10 PM.
post #20 of 34 Old 01-17-2020, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Update. So I went to a high end stereo store in town (one of the only ones) with the intent purpose of auditioning the paradigm monitor 6000's, the premier 8000f and the KEF Q series speakers. They were all supposed to be there. However they didnt have any of the Q series on hand. I did get to audition both paradigm against some KLH, Golden Ear and Focal chora 826. I went home with the Focal chora's. I have to say that the monitor series really held its own against the Paradigm premier 8000f. But the 8000F had a more refined sound...but the monitors had deeper bass (which was surprising). The Focals had the best imaging of all 3 and just had something different in the sound that I liked. The demo unit was a light wood with a gray grille. Looked good but I knew I wanted black. I saw one picture of the speakers in black without the grille and figured they'd be fine.

Fast forward to the setup: I pull them out of the boxes at home and start to set them up and realize that the black doesnt look like I anticipated. The speakers are a gloss black and the grille is a light gray. I assumed (because they didnt have a picture of the speakers with the grille) that the grille would be black also. 0h oh. I didnt care for the look and I was worried what my wife was going to say. (These are in the living room). I was right to be worried. She hated them. By far the biggest disappointment however was hooking them up side by side with my Klipsch and definitely not hearing a $1800 worth of difference. In fact the Klipsch had better bass. I know the focals will be better once they get broken in but I cant wait that long. Only 7 day return for money back. So....going back. sigh.

sigh. disappointed.
How are things set up as far as bass management is concerned? You said it's a 3.1 arrangement, which should mean you have a subwoofer as well? I think the bass thing is moot because if you have them set to "small" with a proper crossover, your subwoofer will give you all of the bass you need.
Zorba922 likes this.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #21 of 34 Old 01-17-2020, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I like what RayGuy said about speakers training your ears. When we are listening to the same speakers for so long we get used to how they sound. We love how they sound. Then along comes something else and we don't like it as well. The problem is that we can get used to hearing a speaker we love but don't hear that perhaps they weren't so great all along when compared to the competition. When you get used to bright sounding speakers and then listen to something else maybe at first they sound flat or lacking in air. Then as you listen more you start to see that the brightness you were used to wasn't good to begin with. The feedback about not making a decision based on a short listening session is indeed sage advice. Also, take your time and try to look past how a speaker looks. Sound is very much more important!
post #22 of 34 Old 01-18-2020, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If the boutique store will refund all your money without sticking you with a "restocking fee" or trying to guilt-trip you into buying something else from them, I'd take advantage of Crutchfield's $10 flat rate return policy instead. If you're looking for nice full midrange, Klipsch Focal and Paradigm would not be at the top of my list.
I have a 7 day money back return. Or 30 day swap for something else of same value. Taking them back today and potentially am going to go with the Paradigm premier 800F that I initially was comparing against the Focal. I did like them and they are same price.

I have been listening to the Focals now with a bit more critical ear (and having more time). I do like them and I think even giving them an hour of break in time opened them up a bit more than my initial listen (which was about 10 minutes when I wrote the note). I really do hear a difference in the imaging of the focals vs the klipsch and the midrange and definition are superior. The Klipsch has larger woofers (8") while the Focal has 6 1/2. So thats why the bass difference (plus break in).

However....the aesthetic issue is one that just cannot be overcome. Even I dont like the look. But in the end it has to get by my wifes approval and these just wont cut it unfortunately.
post #23 of 34 Old 01-18-2020, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Go back to the Chane ... give them some break-in time, then listen. If you don't hear any difference from your current, then you are just a klipsch guy.

BTW, you can't make up your mind after just a short listening session, the Klipsch have been training your ears for a very long time. Takes a while to untrain your ears to hear the true differences, especially the more subtle ones.
I assume you mean the Focal (not the Chane). I think you are spot on in that my ears are used to a certain sound. I have Klipsch KG 2.2's in my main setup in another room. So I DEFINITELY have the Klipsch "sound" ingrained in my mind. I the Focals looked different I think i'd keep them...but cant get by the look. My wife really doesnt like it and she hates the "exposed" tweeter.
post #24 of 34 Old 01-18-2020, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How are things set up as far as bass management is concerned? You said it's a 3.1 arrangement, which should mean you have a subwoofer as well? I think the bass thing is moot because if you have them set to "small" with a proper crossover, your subwoofer will give you all of the bass you need.
my bad. I think i said 3.1 because thats what it comes up as on my receiver when I go to Dolby surround mode. I only have 3 speaker setup right now: 2 fronts and a center channel. No sub. I have them set for "full range" on my reciever. I'm keeping my eyes open for a deal on a sub.
post #25 of 34 Old 01-18-2020, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
my bad. I think i said 3.1 because thats what it comes up as on my receiver when I go to Dolby surround mode. I only have 3 speaker setup right now: 2 fronts and a center channel. No sub. I have them set for "full range" on my reciever. I'm keeping my eyes open for a deal on a sub.
Okay.

And how were you doing that A/B comparison? Only asking because the amount of time it takes for the brain to forget what one thing sounds like compared to the other in these cases is razor thin.

post #26 of 34 Old 01-18-2020, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked: 2884
Quote:
I assume you mean the Focal (not the Chane). I think you are spot on in that my ears are used to a certain sound. I have Klipsch KG 2.2's in my main setup in another room. So I DEFINITELY have the Klipsch "sound" ingrained in my mind. I the Focals looked different I think i'd keep them...but cant get by the look. My wife really doesnt like it and she hates the "exposed" tweeter.
Well, yes, my comment was confusing, as it referenced the Focal, but my intention was to recommend the Chane, as well.

The Klipsch have a very distinct sound, and the Chanes will be different, so you will need to give them some time (both for break-in when you aren't listening, and once broken in, for your ears to learn what they are all about). Chanes extract a lot of detail from the music, but not by exaggerating the treble, thus they are not fatiguing when listening for longer periods. So, somewhat similar, but different, and a good different. The Chanes can attain quite high volumes, as can the Klipsch. The Ks are more efficient, but with sufficient power, the Chanes can match those output levels, and still sound very clean. Lastly, the punchy quality will still be present in the Chanes, due to the split-gap woofer design.

Different, but with some similar characteristics that may help you more easily relate to their sound signature.

Also, that particular model of the Focal has the odd grill arrangement. If you liked the sound, look at the 716, 726, or 926, all of which have the full grill, covering the entire front of the speaker.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 01-18-2020 at 11:52 AM.
post #27 of 34 Old 01-18-2020, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Okay.

And how were you doing that A/B comparison? Only asking because the amount of time it takes for the brain to forget what one thing sounds like compared to the other in these cases is razor thin.
Banana plugs for quick change. One downside with the Focals is that they do not honor the standard spacing on banana plugs so I had to move to the single plugs (instead of the dual plugs I had on my speaker wires).
So yes, there was a bit of a delay.
post #28 of 34 Old 01-18-2020, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Well, yes, my comment was confusing, as it referenced the Focal, but my intention was to recommend the Chane, as well.

The Klipsch have a very distinct sound, and the Chanes will be different, so you will need to give them some time (both for break-in when you aren't listening, and once broken in, for your ears to learn what they are all about). Chanes extract a lot of detail from the music, but not by exaggerating the treble, thus they are not fatiguing when listening for longer periods. So, somewhat similar, but different, and a good different. The Chanes can attain quite high volumes, as can the Klipsch. The Ks are more efficient, but with sufficient power, the Chanes can match those output levels, and still sound very clean. Lastly, the punchy quality will still be present in the Chanes, due to the split-gap woofer design.

Different, but with some similar characteristics that may help you more easily relate to their sound signature.

Also, that particular model of the Focal has the odd grill arrangement. If you liked the sound, look at the 716, 726, or 926, all of which have the full grill, covering the entire front of the speaker.
The Chanes werent an option anymore after I checked the dimensions. Too tall and wide.

So update: Took the Focal Chora's back and rather than see me walk....they made me an offer I couldnt refuse (essentially $2k) on a pair of demo Focal Aria 926. Didnt see them the first time as they were in the back. Sound is MUCH more relaxed than the Klipsch but still retains detail. More to come after I can spend some time with them but so far I really like them. (Wife hasnt seen them yet but I dont think there is anything she wont like!)
post #29 of 34 Old 01-18-2020, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Banana plugs for quick change. One downside with the Focals is that they do not honor the standard spacing on banana plugs so I had to move to the single plugs (instead of the dual plugs I had on my speaker wires).
So yes, there was a bit of a delay.
I'm not sure I follow, unless you mean you are using something like these: https://www.primecables.ca/p-317587-...ed-primecables ? Also, the swapping of plugs is more than enough time for your brain to forget what you just heard.

Have you tried having one of each speaker plugged in at the same time?

post #30 of 34 Old 01-18-2020, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Chanes werent an option anymore after I checked the dimensions. Too tall and wide.

So update: Took the Focal Chora's back and rather than see me walk....they made me an offer I couldnt refuse (essentially $2k) on a pair of demo Focal Aria 926. Didnt see them the first time as they were in the back. Sound is MUCH more relaxed than the Klipsch but still retains detail. More to come after I can spend some time with them but so far I really like them. (Wife hasnt seen them yet but I dont think there is anything she wont like!)
The Aria are the model up from the Chora AFAIK, so that would probably be why things sound a little nicer.

Enjoy!
kingsxman likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page