small theater 5.2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-13-2020, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 22
small theater 5.2

Good day all. Looking for recommendations for the L/C/R and surrounds. 50/50 HT and music. 10x11x9 room. Room is sealed and has doorway in lower left corner that can be shut or left open. I have had Klipsch reference premier in past and no problem with those but am looking to see if there any other options that may be better. And yes I know what sounds good to me vs. you is subjective but hey your input is definitely valued here . I do movies at reference or near reference and music pretty loud too. I listen to rock, blues, contemporary jazz and some electronic, etc. for an idea. Budget around 2k for speakers. Will pair with 2 subs once I figure those out too. Separate thread. Pretty sure looking at just bookshelf speakers as well. Well have at it if you will! Thanks much, Steve

Last edited by Steve Huss; 01-13-2020 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-13-2020, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2795 Post(s)
Liked: 2671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Huss View Post
Good day all. Looking for recommendations for the L/C/R and surrounds. 50/50 HT and music. 10x11x9 room. Room is sealed and has doorway in lower left corner that can be shut or left open. I have had Klipsch reference premier in past and no problem with those but am looking to see if there any other options that may be better. And yes I know what sounds good to me vs. you is subjective but hey your input is definitely valued here . I do movies at reference or near reference and music pretty loud too. I listen to rock, blues, contemporary jazz and some electronic, etc. for an idea. Budget around 2k for speakers. Will pair with 2 subs once I figure those out too. Separate thread. Pretty sure looking at just bookshelf speakers as well. Well have at it if you will! Thanks much, Steve
Maybe take a look at the OSD speakers recently reviewed here on this site. Wall mounted so it would free up some space.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 13 Old 01-13-2020, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Will do @Kini62 . Thanks, Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-13-2020, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7706 Post(s)
Liked: 5853
Quote:
Good day all. Looking for recommendations for the L/C/R and surrounds. 50/50 HT and music. 10x11x9 room. Room is sealed and has doorway in lower left corner that can be shut or left open.

I do movies at reference or near reference and music pretty loud too. I listen to rock, blues, contemporary jazz and some electronic, etc. for an idea. Budget around 2k for speakers. Will pair with 2 subs once I figure those out too. Separate thread. Pretty sure looking at just bookshelf speakers as well. Well have at it if you will! Thanks much, Steve
I'd do a pair of these up front, with either a phantom center or an identical center (they're sold singly):
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-fjZb5s...ge-Walnut.html

Surrounds, a pair of these:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_336D85...85-Walnut.html

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 13 Old 01-13-2020, 08:24 PM

Ordinarily I'd say these, but their 85db sensitivity with your loud listening habits might not be a great idea, although if crossed over to a sub and with a strong amp, they might work just fine...
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...EX/srm2ex.html

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 13 Old 01-13-2020, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

@Zorba922 those Wharfedale's look nice. Thinking a Denon 3600 to run things crossed over at 80hz. Might work with the Sierras! Appreciate your recommendations very much, Steve
post #7 of 13 Old 01-14-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
@Zorba922 those Wharfedale's look nice. Thinking a Denon 3600 to run things crossed over at 80hz. Might work with the Sierras! Appreciate your recommendations very much, Steve
The Sierra just might work in your room because of its small size which means your listening distance might be as little as 8 ft, so it wouldn't require THAT much juice to get the high volumes you like.

The thing I find about ribbon tweeters is, you get so much satisfying detail out of them at moderate or even low volumes, the urge to crank them up is not really there anymore. I definitely experienced that with the humble Emotiva B1s (AMT tweeters) I used to have, and currently with my Philharmonic BMRs (same RAAL tweeter as in the Sierras). Similar with the planar tweeter on my Chane A2.4 center.

post #8 of 13 Old 01-14-2020, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking the listening distance will be right around 7' when all is said and done. Those Phil BMR's are very nice indeed. Should be making decisions/purchases in next couple weeks. Thanks @Zorba922 again for your insights! Steve
post #9 of 13 Old 01-14-2020, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
PSB's new Alpha P3 and P5 warrant a listen along with the matching C10. A pair of SVS subs to round it out. All within budget
post #10 of 13 Old 01-14-2020, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

I will check those PSB's out to double check my choices @poopiehead . My friend has some PSB bookshelves paired with some Dunlavy towers and they sound nice. Thanks! Steve
post #11 of 13 Old 01-14-2020, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Triangle Borea BR03

efficient, refined easy to power and loud!

check out this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...attention.html

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
post #12 of 13 Old 01-14-2020, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I will check those PSB's out to double check my choices @poopiehead . My friend has some PSB bookshelves paired with some Dunlavy towers and they sound nice. Thanks! Steve
I impulsed on a pair of PSB P5's and the C10 recently to upgrade from a KEF HTS3001SE set up (5.1.2). I pick the PSB's up this weekend. Impulse buy since it was the last day of the xmas sale holdover. I'll be running a mismatched pair of Mission speakers for the surround and Kef in ceiling for the Atmos effects.

Only listened briefly to the PSB in store and was impressed enough. I was looking for a speaker LCR that could playback music better. The Kef HTS was great for HT only.

Last edited by poopiehead; 01-14-2020 at 01:22 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-14-2020, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

@macgallant lookin em up now, thanks. @poopiehead I am glad you have a great new L/C/R setup, sweet! Lot's of research and learning to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page