Wife Shot Me Down : No subwoofer system recommendation needed - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #31 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 2133
if you want really good bass or even decent bass:
Subwoofer= way better than regular speaker = way better that a Sonos or Bose sound bar!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have 2 PB2000 I built in to some some bookshelf’s flanking TV. If building a tv stand with sub built in isn’t an option, I agree with others, get a high powered sealed sub which tend to be much smaller than ported subs.

Ultimately both partners should be allowed to have things they like while doing their best to compromise with each other. Just keep working on changing her mind by being creative with smaller subs or built in options. My wife didn’t want things sticking out in room so I built everything in.

If you work hard I don’t think you should just be straight shot down over something you want, just do your best to make it work. If you like movies you will never get the results you want without a sub to fill in low end.

What does your front setup look like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C54EC6A3-C010-4893-B236-679F0A250966_1579016113157.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	2669838   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1579016177146.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	2669842  
Roctopuss likes this.
post #33 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If I were to buy one of these https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33830 would I be able to put it on a shelf inside of my cabinet or would it drown out the sound? The back of my cabinet is open in one spot so I wouldn't have to worry ventilation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2943 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstang12 View Post
So essentially, I have been running a 5.0 system for 4 years now. After spending some time at my brother's house over the holidays, I was blown away at the amount of bass his Sonos Sound bar was putting out and realized how much I really needed to add a sub to complete my system that definitely lacks lows.

I did some research and decided to go with an SVS PB-1000 sub which was delivered this evening. I was excited to set it up for the game tonight and she comes out and asks "what in the hell is that?" and says it's not going in our living room because it's throws off the balance of the room (women). So my natural response was that I would order another to balance the room out (bad idea but I was dying laughing in my head). I never even hooked it up and it is boxed up and ready to go back to SVS.
Since you've got it, try to convince her to at least let you hook it up so she can hear it. Perhaps hearing that nice bass will at least get her to re-consider and maybe some other compromise can be had. If she doesn't hear it, she can't appreciate it. Perhaps she won't care, but worth a try.
Roctopuss likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #35 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
If I were to buy one of these https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33830 would I be able to put it on a shelf inside of my cabinet or would it drown out the sound? The back of my cabinet is open in one spot so I wouldn't have to worry ventilation.

You’d need to put it on the floor. It would shake and rattle everything in the cabinet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #36 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked: 2885
Quote:
Odds are pretty good that it would set up resonances inside the cabinet, giving a hollow and thick sound to the bass. The driver would be pointed downwards, towards the bottom of the shelf, exciting the resonant frequencies. If you are going inside a cabinet, your best bet is a sealed sub, with the driver pointed towards the open area.

Keep looking for other placement options. Perhaps some pics of the room would be helpful, as we could suggest some placement options?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 01-14-2020 at 11:25 AM.
post #37 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 12:43 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
I have a Theater Solutions SUB8SM (available on amazon) -- similar to the monoprice above -- mounted on the wall behind my refrigerator and it sounds great for music. It's only has an 8" driver (vs 10" on monoprice), but it is only 4.75" tall (vs. 7" for monoprice), so you should be able to put it under or behind a lot of stuff. You'd probably want a pair of them for Home Theater, but our single unit is surprisingly effective given the size and price.

post #38 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 01:05 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:

If you feel comfortable sharing pics of the room and/or cabinet, that would probably help a lot in getting usable suggestions.
post #39 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
If you feel comfortable sharing pics of the room and/or cabinet, that would probably help a lot in getting usable suggestions.
Not a problem. I will get one tonight and post it.
post #40 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Jstang12, let me tell you my story. I built a theater in my basement and heard the same “I do not want those big ugly sub boxes in the room.” So I put a pair of weak in-wall subwoofers to accompany a really good set of in-wall main speakers. I did not know what I was missing for years. Then recently I bought an SVS SB16 Ultra sub and it blew my mind. I had no idea my theater could sound so good, and this is with just one subwoofer. But even with just one subwoofer, it sounded so much better, it was a big draw. I started inviting my wife’s family over for movie nights. They absolutely loved it. My kids now love having movie nights too. We were watching Lord of the Rings the other night and my daughter said to me “Dad I feel like that actually happened right in front of me! It kind of scared me but I loved it!”

Long story short, my wife will never love the look of a subwoofer, but she is starting to see the purpose. My theater now brings family together to have fun experiences in a way it never did. She is realizing that we want our home to be a fun place where our kids and their friends want to be.

I am building a new theater and am planning on disguising the subwoofers as end tables. At first she was insisting that I do small subwoofers underneath the end table, but I was able to convince her those little subs would not pack enough punch to make it fun. So I am planning on having the subs themselves be the end tables, and I will have cut an extra small square of the granite for the top to make it look finished.

What I am saying is that sometimes a spouse needs to see the purpose of subwoofers. Then they can understand why aesthetic concessions need to be made.

There are decent in-wall subwoofers, though they are very expensive for the same performance in a regular sub. There are ways to hide subs as end tables or underneath end tables. If you are going to put the sub inside a cabinet, it needs to be a front firing subwoofer so it projects sound into the room rather than inside the cabinet. So the sub should be front-firing and if it is ported, the port needs to be on the front as well, unobstructed by a cabinet door, unless the door is acoustically transparent. Sealed subs are smaller than ported subs. Those monoprice subs fire downwards so they would not be great inside a cabinet. Sometimes they can fit underneath a sofa though and provide some tactile response to make up for their diminutive size. They really are not big or powerful enough to create great bass, but they are better than nothing.

In sum, with a little effort and persuasion, you can find a way to make this work. But to make it sound good you will need at least two decent subwoofers, but you have to start somewhere. A pair of SVS SB-3000s would fit neatly inside a cabinet or underneath any end table and be a great solution.
post #41 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Marriage is compromise both ways. I know it’s hard but reason with her that at some point she will also want something and when she does you’ll agree because she agreed.

If not then next time she gets something tell her you don’t like it and it needs to go back. She’ll either tell you ok it’s going back or keep it and that’s when you order a new sub and tell her no you’re keeping it too.
pmcl77 and Zorba922 like this.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
post #42 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21

No sub required. Just add power.

http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio...s/xls-215.html

AVR: Yamaha TSR-7850, Fronts: DCM TP260, Center: DCM TP160C, Sub: Premier Acoustic PA-150
post #43 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 303
IMHO, I’d call her bluff.

Pack up ALL your ToYz including the TV and vacate her living room and setup camp in the basement.

That way the wife is happy and your happy, compromise.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #44 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
2 years ago I upgraded from a Klipsch sub-12 to a Klipsch R-115SW. I set it up right were the old sub was and she didn't really notice it for 3 weeks or so. She finally asked about the bigger box in the corner, to which I answered yeah it was on sale. Everything was good until about a month ago when I decided to replace her end tables with 2 more subs. I set them up and left for work(Night Shift), about 2-3 hours into my shift I get a text message and can tell she is not happy. We watched a movie the following weekend and it was settled, the new subwo.... erhm "end tables" were a nice addition to our setup. You should have at least let her hear it with the sub. A few of her favorite songs and an action movie of her choice, then when you unplug it she might notice what was lacking.
post #45 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Odds are pretty good that it would set up resonances inside the cabinet, giving a hollow and thick sound to the bass. The driver would be pointed downwards, towards the bottom of the shelf, exciting the resonant frequencies. If you are going inside a cabinet, your best bet is a sealed sub, with the driver pointed towards the open area.

Keep looking for other placement options. Perhaps some pics of the room would be helpful, as we could suggest some placement options?
Here is a pic of my setup.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1579099892
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1925.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2670260  
head_unit likes this.
post #46 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Do you have any empty corners? You don’t need to place the sub next to the tv. You can literally put it anywhere with a wireless adapter.

post #47 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakerus View Post
Do you have any empty corners? You don’t need to place the sub next to the tv. You can literally put it anywhere with a wireless adapter.

This could be a good option! I could put it under one of the end tables in the back of the living room.
post #48 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 08:55 AM

Wife Shot Me Down : No subwoofer system recommendation needed

Quote:

This could be a good option! I could put it under one of the end tables in the back of the living room.

I mentioned the wireless adapter in my first post. The svs one seems solid. But there are other options on amazon. I hope you didn’t send the sub back yet.

Last edited by fakerus; 01-15-2020 at 09:04 AM.
post #49 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakerus View Post
I mentioned the wireless adapter in my first post. The svs one seems solid. But there are three options on amazon. I hope you didn’t send the sub back yet.

I haven't but this one is so big that I don't think it would fit under the end tables that we have. I will measure this evening.
post #50 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 2133
In the give and take with a relationship and home décor...well, I have no relationship advice. After my wife passed away, I made a conscience decision to live out my days as a single man. And my dog ALWAYS agree with me on décor, finances, etc...

The best case scenario is to let her have her living room and you take over a spare bedroom/basement room. You don't tell he what to do in her spaces and she doesn't...
However, if the living room is the only space you have for TV/Movies, my guess is a couple of the thin subs mentioned earlier would give you enough Umph to be decent and MIGHT pass the WAF test...but I agree with 3fingersbrown. Try to sell it as a family decision...

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #51 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7706 Post(s)
Liked: 5853
Quote:
I haven't but this one is so big that I don't think it would fit under the end tables that we have. I will measure this evening.
Just replace the end table with the sub, and put whatever was on top of the end table (lamp, knick nacks, etc.) on top of the sub.

It would have been better to do that without telling your wife, though.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #52 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Here is a pic of my setup.
How about darkwood color speakers to go with that bench? See modified picture, with some Monitor Audio Bronze speakers. Your wife might even like them, as furniture.

I am guessing those current speakers are quite limited, so that only adding a subwoofer risks leaving the sound thin on the mid and high ranges.

A few options in that case, given the speaker sizes in the picture:

A. Bookshelves (clear upgrade)
B. Towers (very clear upgrade)
C. Bookshelves + sub (starting to approach cinema experience)
D. Towers + sub (you may choose to stay home instead of going to the cinema)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Darkwood speakers.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	2670282  
post #53 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Just replace the end table with the sub, and put whatever was on top of the end table (lamp, knick nacks, etc.) on top of the sub.

If I were still a single man, you better believe that's what would be done.
post #54 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anden2000 View Post
How about darkwood color speakers to go with that bench? See modified picture, with some Monitor Audio Bronze speakers. Your wife might even like them, as furniture.

I am guessing those current speakers are quite limited, so that only adding a subwoofer risks leaving the sound thin on the mid and high ranges.

A few options in that case, given the speaker sizes in the picture:

A. Bookshelves (clear upgrade)
B. Towers (very clear upgrade)
C. Bookshelves + sub (starting to approach cinema experience)
D. Towers + sub (you may choose to stay home instead of going to the cinema)
She might have a nervous breakdown if she saw that. I rarely have the volume loud unless I am home solo so my speakers work well for what they are intended for. Like I said in the OP, I was pretty impressed by the bass coming from the Sonos Soundbar. It was infinitely better than what comes from my speakers but the mids and highs are acceptable to me in my setup.
post #55 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:

Yeah, having it near field as though it was an end table is probably the best option if tucking it into a corner isn't feasible - it's pretty much how it took close to a month for my partner to notice we had a different subwoofer. She kind of just gave me an "oh you" eye roll, but that was the extent of her "complaint."

@jstang12 - I know it's probably a no-go, but if there's any possible way to move your LCR speakers closer to or up to the front of the cabinet they're sitting on, your sound will also improve. Having that tray in front of the centre channel also doesn't help - it's "throwing off the balance." And hopefully you have some area rugs in that room to reduce the echo/reflections from that tile floor. And this isn't a judgment, but every time I see tile in a room that isn't the kitchen or bathroom, I'm:

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #56 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3544 Post(s)
Liked: 4292
Oddball out, but I agree with the wife. I prefer a living room to be free of subs, massive flat panel, and a gazillion speakers. I did that for years, but I much prefer a simple two channel setup with a furniture grade finish on the speakers in the living room. I also understand people have limited space and have to make compromises, so dont get offended if you are the guy with a massive flat panel and a gazillion speakers David with Deep Sea Sound @dgage offers his subs in an end table variant. That would be a nice compromise for you and the wife. I have two of his subs in the theater room and would highly recommend his products.
post #57 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
She might have a nervous breakdown if she saw that. I rarely have the volume loud unless I am home solo so my speakers work well for what they are intended for. Like I said in the OP, I was pretty impressed by the bass coming from the Sonos Soundbar. It was infinitely better than what comes from my speakers but the mids and highs are acceptable to me in my setup.
Alright, then no worries.

Oh, and I didn't notice that center speaker. What I wrote assumes no center, or a "ghost" center. So the current one would have to be disconnected or replaced with a larger one
post #58 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Oddball out, but I agree with the wife. I prefer a living room to be free of subs, massive flat panel, and a gazillion speakers. I did that for years, but I much prefer a simple two channel setup with a furniture grade finish on the speakers in the living room. I also understand people have limited space and have to make compromises, so dont get offended if you are the guy with a massive flat panel and a gazillion speakers David with Deep Sea Sound @dgage offers his subs in an end table variant. That would be a nice compromise for you and the wife. I have two of his subs in the theater room and would highly recommend his products.
Ooooh, that Mariana 18S is gorgeous D:
Molon_Labe likes this.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #59 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Your mistake was letting her see the box, instead of secretly hiding the sub in a corner, disguised as a lamp table and/or plant stand. Oh well.

If you or someone you know is good with carpentry, there ARE ways to swing it---see pics below.
I love the sub hidden in the crate! Would this affect the sound or does it not matter with low frequency?

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A6013 mit Tapatalk
post #60 of 106 Old 01-15-2020, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcl77 View Post
I love the sub hidden in the crate! Would this affect the sound or does it not matter with low frequency?

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A6013 mit Tapatalk
It would have to be a sealed sub, but I don't think it would affect things too much - AFAIK - when you get down to those lower frequencies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page