Wife Shot Me Down : No subwoofer system recommendation needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #1 of 106 Old 01-13-2020, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wife Shot Me Down : No subwoofer system recommendation needed

About 4 years ago, I bought a speaker system for our living room that consists of a Denon AVR-X2200 receiver, Martin Logan Motion 4 Speakers, Martin Logan Motion 8 center channel and two Klipsch in ceiling rear speakers that were pre installed when we bought the house.

So essentially, I have been running a 5.0 system for 4 years now. After spending some time at my brother's house over the holidays, I was blown away at the amount of bass his Sonos Sound bar was putting out and realized how much I really needed to add a sub to complete my system that definitely lacks lows.

I did some research and decided to go with an SVS PB-1000 sub which was delivered this evening. I was excited to set it up for the game tonight and she comes out and asks "what in the hell is that?" and says it's not going in our living room because it's throws off the balance of the room (women). So my natural response was that I would order another to balance the room out (bad idea but I was dying laughing in my head). I never even hooked it up and it is boxed up and ready to go back to SVS.

So, now I am looking into a Sub-less system that still delivers solid bass and overall sound. I'm thinking my best option might be something like a Bose 700 Soundbar but will I be able to run it through my Denon receiver with my rear speakers? Do you guys have any other suggestions other than getting a new wife?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 Old 01-13-2020, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7767 Post(s)
Liked: 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstang12 View Post
About 4 years ago, I bought a speaker system for our living room that consists of a Denon AVR-X2200 receiver, Martin Logan Motion 4 Speakers, Martin Logan Motion 8 center channel and two Klipsch in ceiling rear speakers that were pre installed when we bought the house.

So essentially, I have been running a 5.0 system for 4 years now. After spending some time at my brother's house over the holidays, I was blown away at the amount of bass his Sonos Sound bar was putting out and realized how much I really needed to add a sub to complete my system that definitely lacks lows.

I did some research and decided to go with an SVS PB-1000 sub which was delivered this evening. I was excited to set it up for the game tonight and she comes out and asks "what in the hell is that?" and says it's not going in our living room because it's throws off the balance of the room (women). So my natural response was that I would order another to balance the room out (bad idea but I was dying laughing in my head). I never even hooked it up and it is boxed up and ready to go back to SVS.

So, now I am looking into a Sub-less system that still delivers solid bass and overall sound. I'm thinking my best option might be something like a Bose 700 Soundbar but will I be able to run it through my Denon receiver with my rear speakers? Do you guys have any other suggestions other than getting a new wife?
Your mistake was letting her see the box, instead of secretly hiding the sub in a corner, disguised as a lamp table and/or plant stand. Oh well.

If you or someone you know is good with carpentry, there ARE ways to swing it---see pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub - disguised as end table.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	2669594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub - disguised as end table under lamp.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	2669596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub - hidden inside crate.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	2669598  
pjp, Pete7874, redpoint5 and 7 others like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 106 Old 01-13-2020, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 41
New wife? No, new sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 106 Old 01-13-2020, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This thread made me LOL and I had to share with my wife.

I unboxed my sub and hooked it up when the wife wasn't home and pretended that we had always had it. About 3 weeks later she asked what the box was, and how much it cost... we agreed to OK any purchases over $100 with each other, and I'm the one always breaking that rule.

Projector: Benq TK800 - AVR: Yamaha RX-A2080 - Front Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70 - Center: Polk Audio CS2: Surround: Polk Audio Monitor 30 - Atmos: 4x JBL SP8CII (not yet installed) - Sub: JBL SUB 550P - Nvidia Shield TV Pro

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
post #5 of 106 Old 01-13-2020, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5713 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:

You will never get satisfying bass without a large speaker. My friend solved this problem by building an infinite baffle array in his garage. His TV wall shared the garage wall and all that was present in the house was what looked like a heater vent on the wall. The same can be done using the crawl space.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #6 of 106 Old 01-13-2020, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post

I unboxed my sub and hooked it up when the wife wasn't home and pretended that we had always had it. About 3 weeks later she asked what the box was, and how much it cost... we agreed to OK any purchases over $100 with each other, and I'm the one always breaking that rule.

Lol. I did that with a motorcyle in the garage.. Wife was out of town. She Came back and didn’t realize it was there until like a week after she got back..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #7 of 106 Old 01-13-2020, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 441
How about the SVS PC2000 it has more WAF.

How good are you with your hands? VBSS in a end table?

http://imgur.com/gallery/WXez9Q3

Or a couple of Dayton low profile subs?

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--300-639

If the three options don't work...then new wife.
Ryan Statz likes this.
post #8 of 106 Old 01-13-2020, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 216
The Bose soundbar idea is really bad. And multiple subs are the dogs bollocks!
JeffChap, PannyMann and SinGA like this.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #9 of 106 Old 01-13-2020, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Svs cylinder sub in the corner. Unpack it when she’s not home.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #10 of 106 Old 01-13-2020, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3112 Post(s)
Liked: 2900
Emotiva has a < 12" cube sub (physical dimension) for $300. Buy two, and balance the room ...

https://emotiva.com/collections/subw...ts/airmotiv-s8

Get one of these and place between the couch and one of the end tables (or a pair, one for each side):

https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...ronze-slimsub/

Alternatively, get a pair of these easy to hide midgets (but won't do much below 40Hz in a large room):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5KNZV6...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Alternatively, replace your fronts with these:

macgallant likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 01-13-2020 at 11:38 PM.
post #11 of 106 Old 01-13-2020, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Your mistake was letting her see the box, instead of secretly hiding the sub in a corner, disguised as a lamp table and/or plant stand. Oh well.

If you or someone you know is good with carpentry, there ARE ways to swing it---see pics below.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I am so glad I have a partner that doesn't give a ****.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #12 of 106 Old 01-13-2020, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Without a sub, it'd be difficult to achieve the same sound - not without going with towers, and even that wouldn't be as good.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #13 of 106 Old 01-13-2020, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
Lol. I did that with a motorcyle in the garage.. Wife was out of town. She Came back and didn’t realize it was there until like a week after she got back..

When I got, my ULS-15 MK2, it took about a month for my partner to notice I had swapped subwoofers.
mdildine likes this.

post #14 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Discuss her favourite music, movies and shows with her and how they come alive if it sounds like those artists and actors are standing in your room as opposed to at the other side of a tunnel. If needed, take her to a showroom and let her hear the difference between a soundbar and real speakers.

Suggest color or wood veneer and make the speakers part of the room, embracing them rather than trying to hide them. Their sound gives you and your wife an enjoyable experience - let that be visible. Matte black may be the worst idea if you ask your wife - or anyone caring about home interior.
SuperFist and eljaycanuck like this.

Last edited by anden2000; 01-14-2020 at 02:58 AM.
post #15 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked: 4515
Really sad to be so fully controlled by someone to the point where you are not allowed to enjoy a simple hobby.
post #16 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 04:19 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
If you have 2 x 6 stud wall construction in you house, you could install one or two of these in wall subs. Big bass that sits in your stud space - drywalled and painted over that disappears but for a small grill by the floor. . I use four of these in my theater. Big bass. Like a tapped horn.

Wisdom Audio S90i

https://www.wisdomaudio.com/products/s90i/

There are other companies that make in wall subs. That might be your best option.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #17 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Our TV is in the room corner and the powered subwoofer LFE speaker is sat behind it in the corner and no one can see it.
My left channel speaker is there also. Right channel is next to a sofa 14 feet away. Center sits on a shelf above the TV
I put one of the my surrounds on top of a bookcase. Other surround sits low and next to sofa on other side of thw room.
My 5.1 speakers are about invisible and yeah wifes seem to find everything and often object to things they dont like.
post #18 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 77
First of all, I’m sorry for your wife. Where’s the compromise? The sub throws off the balance of the room which is important to her. No sub throws off the balance of the room sound which is important to you. Instead of just folding you should have at least asked for a compromise. The Bose 700 is a stand alone unit. I have it in my living room. It requires a bass module (subwoofer) that’s sold separately to sound halfway decent.
To the guys suggesting in wall subs........if she won’t allow a small stand alone unit, I highly doubt she will be on board with the demo of her wall, wiring and everything else that comes with it.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33830

Here’s likely your only option if you have a piece of furniture that you can fit it under.

But with all of that said ( I don’t know the force you are dealing with) ask her if there’s spot in the room that she might be ok with it. If there is, get an SVS wireless adapter and don’t worry about running an rca cable.

Make sure you fight her on EVERY purchase for now on that has to do with esthetics for your own stupid reasons just to remind her how silly it is. Or if you really want to piss her off, tell her “ but my gf let’s me keep one at my other place”. The walk away.

post #19 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 6068
Since marriage is about compromises, there may be WAF, but there's also HAF, since you're half of that equation as life partners. The old antiquated ideas of women keeping, maintaining and decorating the household are over, as its a shared experience, if not merely to show the equality of the genders. In such a fair and equal life partnership, there is no such thing as one half of that duo wielding final say-so. It is discussed and agreed upon with respect to each as individuals as part of a team. Convey these ideas, don't cower and express it from her perspective, as in if you were to present such an ultimatum about literally anything else in your shared lives, then take note of her reaction.

All this is said from a divorced man, by the way, so take it with a grain of salt! I rid myself of WAF over 20 years ago and haven't looked back, but I still do believe in marriage between those who share love, life and interests together.

I distinctly remember my ex-wife expressing dislike for the stereo I put in my Toyota Avalon, that it was too loud (I had 2 10" JL Audio DVC subwoofers in a sealed box in the trunk with a 1 ohm stable block amp). She frequently asked to drive it when she went out to clubs with her girlfriends some weekends and before long I would hear the car stereo blocks away! So if you have shared interests, or can somehow get her to appreciate the superior sound and experience of home theater, then you can also win her over to your point of view.
post #20 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I tried the SVS cylinder, they stick out like a 2" pimple at the end of the nose.

I put one of my SB3000's under an end table where it is completely undetectable. My wife knows it's there and she goes along with much of my desires for AV stuff, but for those not as easy going, if there is an open-bottomed end table, the dimensions of the SB1000–3000 is pretty table friendly.

But I agree with what others have said: There is no way to produce deep thumping bass absent a speaker designed to do it. Second, the key was, her seeing it before disguising it. Not that I am advocating being deceptive to our wives, because I am not.

With all due respect to you and your knowledge... I reserve the right to be wrong about what I say and think.
post #21 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Svs sb1000/2000 or Rythmik L12 would be better than nothing and small enough to hide

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
post #22 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

That was hilarious. The -3db point of your Motion 4's and 8 is 70hz, which is very high. I think you might be happy if you picked up some speakers that get down into the mid to high 40's. That will sound so much better. But they're going to be bigger for sure. Check out the Chane a1.5's and a2.4.
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/ind...egory&path=100

Polk LSIM 703 / ADS L710 / AKG K240 Studio cans / Martin Logan Dynamo 300
NAD 720Bee / Schiit Modi 3 / Yamaha CD-S300 / XBOX One X
post #23 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1994 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
Originally Posted by anden2000
Discuss her favourite music, movies and shows with her and how they come alive if it sounds like those artists and actors are standing in your room as opposed to at the other side of a tunnel. If needed, take her to a showroom and let her hear the difference between a soundbar and real speakers.

Suggest color or wood veneer and make the speakers part of the room, embracing them rather than trying to hide them. Their sound gives you and your wife an enjoyable experience - let that be visible. Matte black may be the worst idea if you ask your wife - or anyone caring about home interior.
Good post. If a big black box (or two) doesn't work for her, maybe one or two smaller, sealed cubes in a pleasing finish (e.g., rosewood or piano black) could be a good compromise.
post #24 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 118
+1 on the low-profile subs like the Monoprice or the Dayton's. It's kind of a "twofer". You get the deep bass sound and tactile bass feel. As long as the box has enough internal volume for real bass.
post #25 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Since marriage is about compromises, there may be WAF, but there's also HAF, since you're half of that equation as life partners.

He should've said he wants a dual sub system. Compromise would've been half of that then, so one sub
BP1Fanatic and SinGA like this.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #26 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Wife Shot Me Down : No subwoofer system recommendation needed

Get one of these. That will show her you mean business and it will further prove that your Y chromosome is dominant. (“Idiot chromosome”)

post #27 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I won't comment on the wife thing. But here's the compromise I came up with. She wanted new end tables, we got some of those live edge wood tables with open legs. I basically just used a SB2000 from SVS under each one. 13" cube. Can't tell it's there. That's the living room. The bar was a harder sell. But she wanted the big old cerwin vega D9's gone but wanted the same sound with book shelves, which can't be accomplished. So I knew I was going to end up with 4 bookshelves and a big @#[email protected]$ sub to do what the Vegas did. First I got 2 speakers, she hated it. Bought 2 more, she hated it. Said I needed a sub but didn't want the "big one" so I bought the smaller one. She hated the sound of it, I said, I told ya the smaller one wouldn't do it. So now there's a horizontal Axiom EP800 in there, but it's REAL wood. She loves the sound and it looks like furniture. All the speakers are real wood which makes a massive difference in quality instead of big ugly black boxes. My theater has the big ugly black box versions, I can't stand them myself. Not after getting real wood.

Don't show them the big ugly black boxes before you buy. I really wish sub companies would just make real wood end tables that are actual subs. 2 birds one stone.
post #28 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I do agree with her that it doesn't look great in the room but it wouldn't bother me at all. These low profile subs are going to be the best option by the sound of things. I need to measure, but I can either put them under my entertainment center or behind it. If I can slide them under the entertainment center that would be ideal.

Lots of good suggestions from many of you and I appreciate your help.
post #29 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1129
What you need is a BOSS mini riser. You will get the "feel" of the Bass without high SPL output, so they won't hear or see a thing, but you will definitely feel it when you're sitting in your seats.
post #30 of 106 Old 01-14-2020, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In wall subs. May be more work, but at least the can be completely hidden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page