Home Theater - Powered Towers vs Passive & Subwoofer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-13-2020, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have read a lot on here and basically with powered towers and receivers my understanding is there isn’t really away to get a full signal to the towers & also sent to LFE. Is there a work around? I know if you put L & R & LFE it kinda does a double bass but why haven’t receiver manufacturers fixed this?

I like the powered tower idea but it seems that the placement of the sub and the physics they can’t get as low as a true sub with a 12” driver and ported volume.

Supposedly with the Goldenear One.R they have radiators that produce a low hz. From what I read it’s around 23-27hz but not as loud or low as home theater people would want. I think down to 20hz flat would be brilliant. But am reading the graphs right. The punch from the one.r like gun shots are amazing.

What was the outcome from running the one.r small down to 30-40hz and then adding a sub to take over that low or is that just a waste.

Or do I get passive towers or bookshelf’s and add a sub.

Music i listen to while I’m cleaning up and cooking. So no critical listening.

Also with my room setup throwing around the idea of getting the Golden Ear XL Sound Bar and a SVS PC -2000 and calling it a day.

I watch movies 1-2 times a month.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-14-2020, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 554
I think the GE will give adequate performance to 28 hz. The deep bass many refer to is felt NOT heard.

Bass performance also ties to room size (frequency) and seating distance (spl)

There is also a big difference in the T1r for $6600 (add $1650 for the matching center) compared to your option you mentioned is only $2000

Either will also require an AVR. More money,,,

If you are not a movie guy a sub looses necessity and value.

What about music?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #3 of 4 Old 01-14-2020, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7767 Post(s)
Liked: 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccumato View Post
Or do I get passive towers or bookshelf’s and add a sub.
This.

Powered towers with built in subs are a marketing gimmick that sound mediocre at best, esp. compared to a passive speaker + sub system you can buy for the same money.

Soundbars with sub, ditto but pandering more towards the WAF-afflicted.

Couple questions:

1. How big is the TOTAL VOLUME of your space? This includes all adjacent open rooms not just the actual listening area.

2. Do you have any WAF/aesthetic requirements?

3. What's your total budget max for speakers, sub & receiver?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-14-2020, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
This.

Powered towers with built in subs are a marketing gimmick that sound mediocre at best, esp. compared to a passive speaker + sub system you can buy for the same money.

Soundbars with sub, ditto but pandering more towards the WAF-afflicted.

Couple questions:

1. How big is the TOTAL VOLUME of your space? This includes all adjacent open rooms not just the actual listening area.

2. Do you have any WAF/aesthetic requirements?

3. What's your total budget max for speakers, sub & receiver?

1. 25' x 20' x 11' - Hardwood
2. Not really but its an awkward room with Tv kinda in the corner. Tritons would be smashed into the sides of the entertainment stand. If I did book shelfs they would be only about 80" apart. GE Soundbar would be the most clean look.
3. Budget for speakers & sub is $3000-$10,000. But if I can get 90% good sound for $3000 and 93% good sound for $10,000. I'm ok with the $3,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page