• 2 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 19 Old 01-14-2020, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Need sub for my NHT's

Can someone recommend a decent sub that sounds good at a low volume because it will be in my bedroom in an apartment. I game a lot at night so i will probably have to turn off the sub then,but even during the day i only listen at medium volume so i don't need anything vibrating my upstairs neighbor lol.

I would prefer it to be under $500 but any recommendations would be awesome

or

Should i replace my Superzero's with something with a little more mids/lows ,so i don't bug the neighbors?

Current setup:

yamaha 383
3x nht superones 2.1's

2x nht superzero 2.1's

Thanks

Last edited by williewonk; 01-14-2020 at 12:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-14-2020, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by williewonk View Post
Can someone recommend a decent sub that sounds good at a low volume because it will be in my bedroom in an apartment. I game a lot at night so i will probably have to turn off the sub then,but even during the day i only listen at medium volume so i don't need anything vibrating my upstairs neighbor lol.

I would prefer it to be under $500 but any recommendations would be awesome

or

Should i replace my Superzero's with something with a little more mids/lows ,so i don't bug the neighbors?

Current setup:

yamaha 383
3x nht superones 2.1's

2x nht superzero 2.1's

Thanks
SVS SB-1000 or PB-1000

Or RSL Speedwoofer 10S

I don't see a need to replace your NHTs. Just keep the volume on the sub lower.
morasp, eljaycanuck and sdg4vfx like this.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 01-14-2020 at 02:54 AM.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-14-2020, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've got three super zeros arriving today. One review I read the guy added some lower frequency weight to his by getting their center channel speaker. I've read good and bad reviews on it but it's returnable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-14-2020, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7767 Post(s)
Liked: 5884
Quote:
Just get the SVS PB12, $500 from Amazon, equivalent to the $700 PB2000.

Turn down the gain knob and/or add a Subdude (or make one yourself) underneath it if you're concerned about the neighbors.

Better to have a sub you can use if you move into a bigger space, than one you'd have to upgrade later.
dswierenga and sdg4vfx like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 19 Old 01-14-2020, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
I have a setup of 4 Super Zero 2.1's and a Super Center in one room and another setup with two SuperOne's and matching NHT center with smaller Energy RC Mini surrounds.

Both systems work very well and I have a 10" sub with each one, you won't need to upgrade your surrounds since those channels don't get much low frequency anyways.

I think the Speedwoofer 10S would be perfect for your setup. Or maybe the SVS SB12-NSD which is still available on Amazon

Afro GT
post #6 of 19 Old 01-14-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
I have a setup of 4 Super Zero 2.1's and a Super Center in one room and another setup with two SuperOne's and matching NHT center with smaller Energy RC Mini surrounds.

Both systems work very well and I have a 10" sub with each one, you won't need to upgrade your surrounds since those channels don't get much low frequency anyways.

I think the Speedwoofer 10S would be perfect for your setup. Or maybe the SVS SB12-NSD which is still available on Amazon
How do you like the super center? I was going to have three super zeros as L/C/R but would like to hear your opinion.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-14-2020, 07:21 PM

I think the Super Center would be better as it plays lower than the SuperZero bookshelf despite what NHT specs say. Dialogue is very clear on this speaker. I think it is worth the extra $50 over a single SuperZero used as a center.

Afro GT
post #8 of 19 Old 01-14-2020, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I don't think you will get much of an improvement from a center speaker vs. the superone as a center.
I like the recommendation of the sb12-nsd from Amazon. Great value. I have the pb12-nsd in my office with NHT SuperZeros.

Panasonic TCP65VT60, Denon AVR-x6200w
Oppo UDP-203, Dish VIP722
NHT C4 front speakers, NHT C LCR center spkr
NHT Classic 3 surrounds
Velodyne Optimum 12 & DLS-5000R subs
post #9 of 19 Old 01-14-2020, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Just get the SVS PB12, $500 from Amazon, equivalent to the $700 PB2000.

Turn down the gain knob and/or add a Subdude (or make one yourself) underneath it if you're concerned about the neighbors.

Better to have a sub you can use if you move into a bigger space, than one you'd have to upgrade later.
There are 3 SVS subs (older models) on Amazon for $500 or less - all would be excellent choices in your setup. At that price range it would be difficult to find a better sounding, more accurate sub.

The SB12-NSD is only $400 - it's a sealed sub with an uncommonly small cabinet (14" cube with 12" driver). I've owned two of them for years and really like them. The smaller size made it easier to move them around the room for optimal dual sub positioning. Also they play well/cleanly at lower volumes (a couple of larger, impressive subs I've had in the past needed a bit of volume to sound their best.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.

Last edited by sdg4vfx; 01-15-2020 at 12:52 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-14-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I think the Super Center would be better as it plays lower than the SuperZero bookshelf despite what NHT specs say. Dialogue is very clear on this speaker. I think it is worth the extra $50 over a single SuperZero used as a center.
Well, that's not saying a lot...I tried the SZ as a center many years ago, it was way too small and weak for the job. The SuperOne on the other hand, should be fine as a center.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #11 of 19 Old 01-15-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Well, that's not saying a lot...I tried the SZ as a center many years ago, it was way too small and weak for the job. The SuperOne on the other hand, should be fine as a center.
I'm trying to learn the trade offs with home theater speakers. Could you briefly describe what type of sonic improvements the Super one add over the zeros? Right now Audyssey set my center frequency at 100 hZ and the specs for the Super one show a lower 3 dB point.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-15-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morasp View Post
I'm trying to learn the trade offs with home theater speakers. Could you briefly describe what type of sonic improvements the Super one add over the zeros? Right now Audyssey set my center frequency at 100 hZ and the specs for the Super one show a lower 3 dB point.
SuperOne has a 6.5" woofer that will give you an extra 30Hz of mid-bass extension (56Hz vs 85Hz) and the extra woofer surface area should also provide superior dispersion and soundstage.

NEVER take Audyssey's settings as anything but a rough starting point! Half the time it screws things up more than anything. Always manually tweak the settings to YOUR taste afterwards.

I would go no higher than 80Hz with the SuperOne. If your receiver allows it, I'd experiment with 60Hz and 40Hz as well. Hell, if you don't listen at crazy loud volumes you could even try running the SuperOne on "large" (no crossover, full signal) and see how you like it.
morasp likes this.

post #13 of 19 Old 01-15-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
SuperOne has a 6.5" woofer that will give you an extra 30Hz of mid-bass extension (56Hz vs 85Hz) and the extra woofer surface area should also provide superior dispersion and soundstage.

NEVER take Audyssey's settings as anything but a rough starting point! Half the time it screws things up more than anything. Always manually tweak the settings to YOUR taste afterwards.

I would go no higher than 80Hz with the SuperOne. If your receiver allows it, I'd experiment with 60Hz and 40Hz as well. Hell, if you don't listen at crazy loud volumes you could even try running the SuperOne on "large" (no crossover, full signal) and see how you like it.
Thanks! So if I lower the L/C/R cut off frequency to 80 hZ Audyssey set the sub crossover to LFE 120 Hz, do you usually set the subwoofer frequency to the same as the L/C/R or allow some overlap?
post #14 of 19 Old 01-15-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks! So if I lower the L/C/R cut off frequency to 80 hZ Audyssey set the sub crossover to LFE 120 Hz, do you usually set the subwoofer frequency to the same as the L/C/R or allow some overlap?
You should set the sub to bypass its internal filter altogether.

Try this link. You can even ask questions directly to Ed from SVS if you scroll down to the bottom:
https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/ti...or-a-subwoofer

post #15 of 19 Old 01-15-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
You should set the sub to bypass its internal filter altogether.

Try this link. You can even ask questions directly to Ed from SVS if you scroll down to the bottom:
https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/ti...or-a-subwoofer
I meant the audyssey subwoofer crossover setting not the subwoofers. You don't change the center and front crossover and not the sub do you?
post #16 of 19 Old 01-15-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I meant the audyssey subwoofer crossover setting not the subwoofers. You don't change the center and front crossover and not the sub do you?
ah, I have never used Audyssey (actually I don't even bother using my Pioneer's auto-EQ tools) so I can't really help with that...if it were me I'd just turn off Audyssey entirely first and see how it sounds with manually set crossovers.

Some people around here swear by it, but IMO Audyssey and the like are only needed if your room is a truly unique acoustical nightmare.

post #17 of 19 Old 01-15-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
IMO Audyssey and the like are only needed if your room is a truly unique acoustical nightmare.
How would you know since you never used it?

Afro GT
post #18 of 19 Old 01-15-2020, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Current setup: yamaha 383
You're running your stereo from a marine outboard key?
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Marine...SIN=B005C59GP8

As for the bass, there is no magic or shortcut. Bigger speaker or subwoofer, bass just travels and can't be stopped. That's not to say one can't fill in the bottom end nicely without being cranked so much it bothers the neighbors. A sideways thought would be to use a bass shaker instead or additionally-adjusted not too loud, gives a nice bit of physical sensation. If you want to be more precise, and listen in one spot, placing a sub in the nearfield can give you sound without bothering others so much.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-15-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
How would you know since you never used it?
Well, I *have* had a number of friends and family who owned Denon receivers and had mixed results with them. The ones who allowed me to turn it off and manually adjust their systems have never turned it back on, as far as I know.

In addition, for every person I see on AVS raving about it, there's at least one who's had various issues with it (albeit sometimes user error related but not always).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page