In Wall Speaker Buying Advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By ssleeper
  • 1 Post By ifor
  • 1 Post By nathan_h
  • 1 Post By nathan_h
  • 1 Post By nathan_h
  • 1 Post By ROHM
  • 1 Post By Zubius
  • 1 Post By Muphasta

post #1 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Advice Needed - In Wall Speakers

I am looking for some advice on in wall/ceiling speakers and brands for my Atmos home theater. The theater is being used for movies, sports, and gaming. I am in Canada, so not all the brands youd see in the U.S. are available for the same prices or at all.

I have been looking at the below speakers, simply as I was able to hear them in a projector showroom, and I thought they sounded fairly decent, but I know very little about good quality speakers. I have been doing a bit of research and have found other alternatives and am looking for opinions, or even other alternatives. I have built backer boxes for all the speakers.

Also, is it ok to have multiple brands in a speaker setup?

LCR Speakers
Speakercraft Profile AIM Cinema One
https://www.speakercraft.com/product...a-one-ASM59101

Surround and Overhead Speakers -
DA Labs 6.5” In wall
http://dynamicaudiolabs.com/kvsw-65.html

Da Labs 6.5” In Ceiling Q
http://dynamicaudiolabs.com/kvsc-65.html

Alternatives

LCR Speakers

Totem KIN Side/Center
https://totemacoustic.com/product/kin-side-center/

Klipsch R-5502-W IN-WALL SPEAKER
https://www.klipsch.ca/products/r-55...n-wall-speaker

Surround Speakers

Polk Audio 65-RT
https://www.polkaudio.com/products/65-rt

Polk Audio RC65i 2-Way In-Wall Speakers
https://www.amazon.ca/Polk-Audio-RC8...00005T3C8?th=1

Monoprice 8-Inch Caliber 3-Way In-Wall Speakers
https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-1068.../dp/B004C4WJ68

Micca m-8s 2-way in-wall speaker
https://www.amazon.ca/Micca-M-8S-Spe.../dp/B003JOPWHK

Last edited by Archaicc; 01-21-2020 at 07:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-17-2020, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Any experience out there with in walls/ceiling speakers?
post #3 of 19 Old 01-21-2020, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Had the Klipsch 6502 THX as surrounds & the 6504 THX as LCR at our old house & everyone that ever heard them was impressed. I'm currently searching the forum to see what I'm going with this time since I couldn't find any to fill their holes at the old house & didn't want to patch the drywall.
Archaicc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-21-2020, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Totem are pretty rock solid speakers. Big sound from a little speaker. Full integrated enclosure ensures consistent sound.
Archaicc likes this.

AV Professional for 23 Years
post #5 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssleeper View Post
Had the Klipsch 6502 THX as surrounds & the 6504 THX as LCR at our old house & everyone that ever heard them was impressed. I'm currently searching the forum to see what I'm going with this time since I couldn't find any to fill their holes at the old house & didn't want to patch the drywall.
Yeah me too, just trying to get the most bang for my buck and trying to stay mid rangeish.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post
Totem are pretty rock solid speakers. Big sound from a little speaker. Full integrated enclosure ensures consistent sound.
Thats what I have heard, but I have not found anyone who has much to say about their in walls, or anywhere who has them on display. They honestly are much more then the Klipsch/Speakercraft in walls.

I love that they have an integrated enclousure. I already have built and installed my own backer boxes so it isnt a necessity for me, but anything to decrease the sound transfer and increase the sound quality is always good.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
Interesting that you are considering differing brands for LCR and side surrounds. Yes, it can be done, but I'd personally default to trying to stick with the same model all around.....and barring that, at least the same brand/voicing.

Personally, I'd go for something like Paradigm in wall speakers long before considering Speakercraft. Lots more science and critical listening behind Paradigm. https://www.paradigm.com/en/in-wall-speakers

Missing from your description is the distance you are sitting from the speakers. That is important to know, since it impacts the models you should consider (ie, can it play without distortion since even the best speakers sound crappy when pushed beyond their design limits).
Archaicc likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You may also want to hit up the AVRant guys. @FirstReflect is the co-host of the show and lives in Canada so he is familiar with good options at most price points.
Archaicc likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Interesting that you are considering differing brands for LCR and side surrounds. Yes, it can be done, but I'd personally default to trying to stick with the same model all around.....and barring that, at least the same brand/voicing.

Personally, I'd go for something like Paradigm in wall speakers long before considering Speakercraft. Lots more science and critical listening behind Paradigm. https://www.paradigm.com/en/in-wall-speakers

Missing from your description is the distance you are sitting from the speakers. That is important to know, since it impacts the models you should consider (ie, can it play without distortion since even the best speakers sound crappy when pushed beyond their design limits).
The theatre area of the room itself is 13ft x 21ft so I can play with the distance a bit. My plan is to have about 140inch(2:3:1 likely) so ill probably sit about 14ft back or so. The room opens out to another area which adds about another 21ft which will be bar area, and there is no door seperating the two rooms.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You may also want to hit up the AVRant guys. @FirstReflect is the co-host of the show and lives in Canada so he is familiar with good options at most price points.
I didnt know that, ill try to reach out and see what he might suggest, thanks!
post #11 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The main reason I looked at Speakercraft is I was actually able to hear them at a showroom, and they sounded good. They are also cheaper then a lot of Speakers in the range, but honestly I am not an audiophile, so I know little about speaker technology/sound performance.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ultimately it is about what sounds best to you for sure. Bang for buck I’d be surprised if they are the best deal but I don’t know all of what else is available to you.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaicc View Post
The theatre area of the room itself is 13ft x 21ft so I can play with the distance a bit. My plan is to have about 140inch(2:3:1 likely) so ill probably sit about 14ft back or so. The room opens out to another area which adds about another 21ft which will be bar area, and there is no door seperating the two rooms.
At that distance you are getting to the point where you need to pay attention to output, sensitivity and amplifier power. The avrant guys can advise you on the math if you tell them that data.
Archaicc likes this.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ultimately it is about what sounds best to you for sure. Bang for buck I’d be surprised if they are the best deal but I don’t know all of what else is available to you.
Canada is more limited to what is sold compared to the U.S., things I have looked at so far are PBH, Paradigm, Totem, Speakercraft, Polk, and Klipsch. The one thing that was attractive about the Speakercraft Cinema ones, was the amount of speakders that it enclosed per unit compared to others in the price range, but again, I know very little about speakers.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaicc View Post
Thats what I have heard, but I have not found anyone who has much to say about their in walls, or anywhere who has them on display. They honestly are much more then the Klipsch/Speakercraft in walls.

I love that they have an integrated enclousure. I already have built and installed my own backer boxes so it isnt a necessity for me, but anything to decrease the sound transfer and increase the sound quality is always good.
I recently installed a pair of Totem Tribe in-walls as surround speakers. They match up great with the Tribe IIIs and V that I use for LCR. I tried out the in-walls with some stereo sound, without using the other speakers in the setup. They can definitely hold their own and would work well for LCR; however, they can be a bit pricey.
Archaicc likes this.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROHM View Post
I recently installed a pair of Totem Tribe in-walls as surround speakers. They match up great with the Tribe IIIs and V that I use for LCR. I tried out the in-walls with some stereo sound, without using the other speakers in the setup. They can definitely hold their own and would work well for LCR; however, they can be a bit pricey.
Yeah I was looking at the lower end version of the Totem in walls, the KIN series. Im not sure what the difference is TBH.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-04-2020, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've got 6 Speakercraft Profile Aim Eight 5's and they sound awesome.. If I had to replace these, it would be with the same thing.

https://www.speakercraft.com/product...-five-ASM58501
Archaicc likes this.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-04-2020, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I have a pair of Energy in-ceilings in my "no TV" living room that are OK. I don't remember the model number.
I have a pair of Klipsch Reference series, again, don't remember the model, in-ceiling speakers as rears in my bedroom surround set-up. I listen to a lot of mutli-channel audio, and they sound really good.

I've installed a ton of the Monoprice in-ceiling and in-wall speakers for my wife's cousin. They blew me away, but I've no idea if you can get them reasonably in Canada. He went w/the carbon fiber models, again, I cannot remember the name/model number.
Archaicc likes this.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #19 of 19 Old 02-05-2020, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubius View Post
I've got 6 Speakercraft Profile Aim Eight 5's and they sound awesome.. If I had to replace these, it would be with the same thing.

https://www.speakercraft.com/product...-five-ASM58501
Thanks, that is good to know. I have heard the Speakercraft AIM Cinema One, but never the other models. They seemed decent, I just wasnt sure based on bang for your buck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page