Speaker proximity from side walls...? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jonas2

post #1 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Speaker proximity from side walls...?

I am in the process of putting my small home cinema room together, but am unsure regards my front L and R speaker proximity to the side walls, i.e how close I can have them? If relevant, the walls are decoupled and have a double layer plaster board, green glue and acoustic insulation.

I have x3 Def Tech UIW RLS II, and my plan is to have these around a TV, and then have a drop down acoustically transparent screen above, covering both bases. My room is only 2.5m wide though, and as I planned on getting a 75" TV at the very least, perhaps even 85", this would put the L and R speakers very close to the side walls.

Is that permissible? I was thinking by doing this, I would then need to angle the L and R towards my seating position slightly? That's certainly something I can easily do, as they're going in a false wall.

The other potential issue I realised, looking at the Dolby speaker set-up guide, is that I will also have x2 Atmos speakers in the ceiling, and the way they suggest configuring this is with the Atmos speakers in line with the front L and R... but this wouldn't really be possible in my case, as I'm sure I don't want those ceiling speakers way off to the sides.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked: 2259
focal has a good speaker placement guide if you look at one of their models download sheets.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #3 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
focal has a good speaker placement guide if you look at one of their models download sheets.
You mean this:
https://www.focal.com/en/focal-teach...-configuration
https://www.focal.com/en/focal-teach...tereo-speakers

That's not quite what I need. There is a difference between in-walls and freestanding I believe, given there aren't any cabinets to consider. Plus that doesn't seem to offer any indication as to how close I can have them to sides, although as indicated on the second link, I may be right in respect to angling them inwards. That would seem to make logical sense.

I just don't know if there are any issues in having them so close to the sides though. If I did end up with an 85" for example, they'd only be perhaps 5cm from the side.

Last edited by OriginalO; 01-17-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked: 2259
the relationship from back wall to side wall is critical. if move speaker further into room the side wall distance changes...best I can do. good luck.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #5 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
the relationship from back wall to side wall is critical. if move speaker further into room the side wall distance changes...best I can do. good luck.
OK, but these aren't floor standers... they are IN-WALL speakers. I am not moving my wall, the speakers have a fixed position in that respect, I can only adjust their distance apart (and their angle).
post #6 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3166 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
Angle them inward, towards the main sitting position. Use treatments (absorbers) at the first reflection point on the side wall. That should alleviate the majority of issues surrounding close to side wall placement.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Angle them inward, towards the main sitting position. Use treatments (absorbers) at the first reflection point on the side wall. That should alleviate the majority of issues surrounding close to side wall placement.

Thanks. So there's nothing that says I absolutely cannot have in-wall speakers this close to the side walls, providing I angle them in correctly? When you say first reflection point, if angling them, where would you approximate that might be roughly?

My room is quite small, 2.5m wide as I say, and 4m long. I expect my seating position to be around the 3m point.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3166 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
Depends on their off-axis response curve and the angle used. Play with the angle first, until you are happy with the sound in all the seats, then address the wall treatments.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 01-17-2020 at 10:31 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-18-2020, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalO View Post
OK, but these aren't floor standers... they are IN-WALL speakers. I am not moving my wall, the speakers have a fixed position in that respect, I can only adjust their distance apart (and their angle).
I would recommend you go for a golden triangle configuration with equal distance between speakers and center listening position. If tow-in angle is set once you install them, not knowing their dispersion characteristics I would cross the tow-in angle a foot or two in front of center listener position. If the horizontal axis can be adjusted after installation then don't worry about that until later because at this point getting the equi-distance with the HF drivers at listening ear level will be the most important positioning you can make. In wall speakers have inherent limiting factors compared to the adjustability of free standing boxes and sticking to the best placement distances and heights along with room equalization and perhaps reflection point treatments will help you get the best performance from your in-walls. Good Luck
post #10 of 13 Old 01-18-2020, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
I would recommend you go for a golden triangle configuration with equal distance between speakers and center listening position. If tow-in angle is set once you install them, not knowing their dispersion characteristics I would cross the tow-in angle a foot or two in front of center listener position. If the horizontal axis can be adjusted after installation then don't worry about that until later because at this point getting the equi-distance with the HF drivers at listening ear level will be the most important positioning you can make. In wall speakers have inherent limiting factors compared to the adjustability of free standing boxes and sticking to the best placement distances and heights along with room equalization and perhaps reflection point treatments will help you get the best performance from your in-walls. Good Luck

Thank you, that's very helpful. How would this impact the position of my x2 ceiling Atmos speakers? The Dolby guide indicates these should be in line with the front L/R, but obviously that won't be the case in my set-up. I know they should be a couple feet forward of the listening position, I'm just not sure how far apart?
post #11 of 13 Old 01-19-2020, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Thank you, that's very helpful. How would this impact the position of my x2 ceiling Atmos speakers? The Dolby guide indicates these should be in line with the front L/R, but obviously that won't be the case in my set-up. I know they should be a couple feet forward of the listening position, I'm just not sure how far apart?
I would place them as close as possible too, and directly over the LF/RF. The further your placements deviate from Dolby guidelines, the less accurate your soundstage will be from where the recorded sounds were engineered to "come from", and surround sound movements will be incoherent. Proper speaker placement is key to getting the best possible surround sound, regardless of the quality of the equipment or room limitations.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-19-2020, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
I would place them as close as possible too, and directly over the LF/RF. The further your placements deviate from Dolby guidelines, the less accurate your soundstage will be from where the recorded sounds were engineered to "come from", and surround sound movements will be incoherent. Proper speaker placement is key to getting the best possible surround sound, regardless of the quality of the equipment or room limitations.

But I wouldn't want the ceiling speakers so far over to the sides would I? If my front L and R and very close to the wall (angled in), following the Dolby guidelines would also put the ceiling speakers that close to the side walls, way off to the side of my seating position. That wouldn't be correct would it?
post #13 of 13 Old 01-19-2020, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2967 Post(s)
Liked: 1941
Quote:
I just don't know if there are any issues in having them so close to the sides though. If I did end up with an 85" for example, they'd only be perhaps 5cm from the side.

Why not simply contact DefTech support and see what they have to say about it? You can generalize, but they did design the speaker after all. Run your scenario by them, see what they say!
JonfromCB likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page