WiFi Speakers? Are we there yet? Suggestions? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By StarvinForHD
  • 1 Post By sigpig
  • 1 Post By StarvinForHD

post #1 of 11 Old 01-20-2020, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WiFi Speakers? Are we there yet? Suggestions?

Hello,

I apologize if this has already been addressed, but my Sony CRT finally blew out after 15 years. Although my speaker set up still works, I don't live in an apartment like I did long ago I want to use my large living room to take advantage of all the new stuff...without speaker wire everywhere.

I saw that Denon has receiver using some type HESoS technically for WiFi speakers. I also saw everything included WiFi speaker/receiver set up from Kliptsich. Home Theater in a box is a big no no, but maybe not in this case. I don't want to sacrifice sound quality just for WiFi speakers.

Is WiFi even worth it, if not I'm cool sticking with the speaker wires. I've had great Athena speakers for 15 years.

My budget is $2k-$3k for new receiver speakers and subwoofer in a 7.1.

I guess my living room is about 30 feet long and 15 feet wide.

Thanks!
Vikram Iyengar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Too expensive, too buggy, and you STILL need (power) wires.
Each speaker in a "wireless" 7.1 setup would need it's own amplifier (or two, or three, and active crossovers, plus DSP because why not), and power outlet close by.
Then you have built-in lag due to the time the audio signal is processed in the AVP, then transmitted to the speaker's receiver, then through the electronics, and finally through the amps to the speakers.

Speaker wire can be easily hidden, and you could put the money you would have spent on a "wireless" system towards MUCH better speakers...
post #3 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Best I can think of is 2ch using Dynaudio Xeo 30. But nothing I'd recommend for more than 2 ch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone have opinions on Paradigm's wireless series? 600W etc. This might be a complete 5.1 wireless solution.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I have a couple Paradigm Play-Fi devices....best to use a wired network connection.

In order to do 5.1, I believe you need to start with a surround master device, then add surround speakers.

Paradigm PW AMP, KEF Q100, Emotiva B1, Rythmik L12
post #6 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
I have a couple Paradigm Play-Fi devices....best to use a wired network connection.

In order to do 5.1, I believe you need to start with a surround master device, then add surround speakers.
I'm willing to buy a new receiver but I'd rather plunge money into high quality speakers. I've been running Athena fronts (very good to me for 15 years) and Polks in the back.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

post #8 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7975 Post(s)
Liked: 6086
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Too expensive, too buggy, and you STILL need (power) wires.
Each speaker in a "wireless" 7.1 setup would need it's own amplifier (or two, or three, and active crossovers, plus DSP because why not), and power outlet close by.
Then you have built-in lag due to the time the audio signal is processed in the AVP, then transmitted to the speaker's receiver, then through the electronics, and finally through the amps to the speakers.

Speaker wire can be easily hidden, and you could put the money you would have spent on a "wireless" system towards MUCH better speakers...
Yep, I rarely use the DTS PlayFi wireless connection between my PC and receiver because it has so many frequent drop-outs, and this with the PC being in an almost straight line about 20ft across the room...I can only imagine how much of a nightmare a wireless connection to 5 or 7 speakers would be spread all around the room.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #9 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Yep, after reading the latest news from Sonos, I've pretty much decided wireless surround (or even spending much $$ on wireless 2ch) is not an option for now myself.

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/22/...morning-after/

If DTS Play-Fi is buggy and drops as folks say, is anyone using HEOS and what's your opinion? I'm getting a Denon 3500 to power Ascend speakers and am planning to use the HEOS app to stream Spotify on the AVR itself (without another streaming box). How bad/good is that?
post #10 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Iyengar View Post
That Paradigm system looks great but it seems like I'll only be able to play DTS content. I want all the newest codecs, Dolby Atmos etc etc
post #11 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvinForHD View Post
That Paradigm system looks great but it seems like I'll only be able to play DTS content. I want all the newest codecs, Dolby Atmos etc etc
Oh the 'DTS' in the DTS PlayFi refers to the encoding so it can play only that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page