Another On / In Wall Quest (WAF) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By Jonas2
  • 2 Post By KenM10759

post #1 of 14 Old 01-21-2020, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another On / In Wall Quest (WAF)

We just went through a remodel of our first floor, including our living room. My prior 5.1 setup was:

Episode 700 LCR In-Wall - Left / Right
Episode 700 LCR - Center Channel
Episode 8" in Ceiling
Sunfire HRS10 Subwoofer

After the remodel, with a new fireplace, the wall cavity for the right speaker between studs is only ~9" wide. I cannot reuse the existing Episode speakers without shifting the entire video setup further off center. My wife would prefer *** hint hint *** that I find "nice looking" on wall speakers. Bookshelf and floor standing are non-starters.

I've considered the Martin Logan Motion SLM XL, but I had Sunfire Ribbon CRS3 in our prior house and the lack of low / mid range always bothered me for movies. Looking at the Motion SLM XL it looks like much of the same.

I can do in wall if they are less than 9" wide (I think) but the preference is on-walls. Looking for a quasi theater sound experience in the living room from a smallish package.

The room is 20x20, viewing distance is about 13-14 feet.
50% TV / 40% Movies / 10% Music
Budget is upto and around a ML Motion SLM XL

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-21-2020, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
Revel Inwalls. Unparalleled by almost anything. They’ve done the research and their speakers show and sound like it.

Is the 9” width restriction for the cutout or overall width from bezel/frame?

If it’s for cutout width, W783’s. If it’s for overall width W763’s.

Discounted by a dealer, you save plenty of money (20% is easily found with the right contacts).

AMT in walls have limited dispersion, not making them a top choice for a large area and/or multiple rows.
Rex Anderson likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 14 Old 01-22-2020, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3199 Post(s)
Liked: 3009
Totem or Legacy on-walls.

https://totemacoustic.com/product/tribe-iii/

https://legacyaudio.com/products/view/silhouette/

Not wimpy, like most on-walls.
KenM10759 likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-22-2020, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Triad OnWall speakers are a good choice here. https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...ow-bronze-lcr/

Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls. Great for the WAF.

Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards. The company is also a prototype partner for Dolby, helping to design speaker systems for immersive audio.

[email protected]
post #5 of 14 Old 01-22-2020, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 569
^^^

DG,

Do you type this every time?

If not how do you it?

Mike Miles
[email protected]

Last edited by mmiles; 01-22-2020 at 07:56 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-22-2020, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked: 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ View Post
Budget is upto and around a ML Motion SLM XL
These are more expensive than the MLs, but if you have any place nearby to demo them, check out the Totem Acoustic Tribe III. Great as L/C/R. (Tribe V is even crazier, but so is the price...) WAF could be high:

https://totemacoustic.com/product/tribe-iii/

I know you'd not be thinking about it now, but Totem also offers stands for the Tribes should you ever want to move them off of the walls and place them elsewhere as floor-standers. They do wonderfully on-wall and on-stand. Don't let the small drivers fool you - they put out and dig lower than a lot of others out there.
KenM10759 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #7 of 14 Old 01-23-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Monitor Audio SoundFrame on-walls with the option to have personal photos (wedding, kids, etc..) as grill covers scores high on WAF.
https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/prod...ame-1-on-wall/
post #8 of 14 Old 01-24-2020, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I compared Totem Acoustic Tribe III and Legacy Audio Silhouettes in my room and kept the Legacys. Happy to share more on that if interested.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
post #9 of 14 Old 01-24-2020, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How are the KEF Ci R Series in walls? The more I look at the on-walls and the desired depth with an OLED flat panel, they just jump off the wall at me. The KEF appears to be ~9" wide.

Is the sound transmission for in-wall (w/o backer box like the KEF) materially worse than on-wall?
post #10 of 14 Old 01-24-2020, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3199 Post(s)
Liked: 3009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzaj View Post
how are the kef ci r series in walls? The more i look at the on-walls and the desired depth with an oled flat panel, they just jump off the wall at me. The kef appears to be ~9" wide.

is the sound transmission for in-wall (w/o backer box like the kef) materially worse than on-wall?
Yes. The dB level produced out the back of the speaker is the same as that produced out the front. If going in-wall, and sound transmission is an issue, you should stick to speakers with a back box.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 01-24-2020 at 12:22 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-24-2020, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Revel Inwalls. Unparalleled by almost anything. They’ve done the research and their speakers show and sound like it.

Is the 9” width restriction for the cutout or overall width from bezel/frame?

If it’s for cutout width, W783’s. If it’s for overall width W763’s.

Discounted by a dealer, you save plenty of money (20% is easily found with the right contacts).

AMT in walls have limited dispersion, not making them a top choice for a large area and/or multiple rows.
Agree with Russdawg re: Revel.

I have been to Harman for their two day training seminar, have seen the facilities and got to speak with many of the design engineers. They have developed a method for measuring the in wall and in ceiling speakers in one of the four anechoic chambers there. Really amazing to see and hear it all.

Some folks have suggested I may be biased because I work for a company that sells Revel and I should always disclose that fact. The fact is, I bought Revel speakers long before I started working for TSR.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 01-24-2020 at 12:33 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-25-2020, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 250
i went with Triad in wall speakers and subs recently for my family room setup. Couldn't be happier. I honestly wasn't expecting good sound but i was very pleasantly surprised. They sound great and I can actually enjoy listening to music in there.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #13 of 14 Old 01-26-2020, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3575 Post(s)
Liked: 2020
To dispel what I think may be some misinformation, the KEF Ci series speakers such as Ci5160-REF and Ci5160-THX2 as well as most of their others all have available backing boxes. Moreover, they provide detailed data sheets for the installations, giving the volume targets and measured frequency response curves. They are a product that is every bit as well-researched and documented as the others mentioned. They do not include backing boxes with the product because they've provided plenty of good information for installers to create the correct back volume as the installation is planned. Every installed speaker is going into a different space and configuration, so both the speaker and it's 'home' should be matched with each other.

As for on-wall speakers, KEF currently doesn't offer any premium ones. Their T series isn't anything to brag about, but also comes in very affordable. If I was looking for good on-wall speakers, no doubt I'd gravitate toward Totem Tribe series. Incredible stuff!
Jonas2 and sigpig like this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-26-2020, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 70
For WAF, I’ve been looking to get the SuperSats from GoldenEar. Profile is slim, clarity is good with the folded ribbon and the dispersion helps the speakers sound full for their size. These are on-wall not in-wall, but look good.

Main 7.1 HT: Dali Zensor (7s, Vokal, and 1s), Emotiva E2s, HSU ULS-15 MK2, Emotiva BasX preamp/amps (MC-700, A-300, A-500)
Kid’s 5.1 HT: Dali Oberon (5s, Vokal), RSL C34Es, HSU VTF-2 MK5, Denon X2400H
7-Zone CCA/Spotify WHA: Paradigm (E-80Rs x6, P-80SM), Def Tech AW6500s, Polk MC-80, Emotiva BasX amps (A-700, A-500), FiiO D3 DACs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page