What's Best for Small, Quality Bedroom Speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By _tk
  • 1 Post By Knucklehead90
  • 2 Post By _tk

post #1 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question What's Best for Small, Quality Bedroom Speakers?

Hello, I appreciate any advice anyone can give me for this.

I need quality speakers for my bedroom TV.

My bed has a convenient shelf with cubby holes where I can place the speakers close to my ears. The speakers can't be the "bookshelf" size (like my Polk T15 living room speakers), which would be way too big. I don't need overkill, and I don't want a subwoofer.

I have a hard time hearing the TV dialog. So I want to adjust the bass and volume on the speaker. Also want to plug headphones in and switch from tv to headphones without problems.

I want quality - in my living room, I have a Denon X1100W with a Polk subwoofer and 5 Polk speakers. For just watching TV in bed, I don't need tops, but I do want more than $20 budget speakers. ($100 max.) The speakers must be small enough, have nice clarity and be adjustable. (Bose Companions aren't adjustable so I ruled them out for that.)

You might wonder what size "small" is, but I can tell by looking at them. In comparison to my Polk T15s, the Polks are too deep and too wide, but not too tall. (However, I would really prefer shorter too, if possible.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 311
I recently purchased an Amazon Echo Plus for my bedroom, and I'm really happy with the audio quality. They have an Amazon Echo Studio (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9Y3ZMC...3ZMC_rc_nd_ucc), which should sound even better.

I don't know how it'd work with your TV, though. I haven't researched that functionality.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7975 Post(s)
Liked: 6086
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoseph05 View Post
Hello, I appreciate any advice anyone can give me for this.

I need quality speakers for my bedroom TV.

My bed has a convenient shelf with cubby holes where I can place the speakers close to my ears. The speakers can't be the "bookshelf" size (like my Polk T15 living room speakers), which would be way too big. I don't need overkill, and I don't want a subwoofer.

I have a hard time hearing the TV dialog. So I want to adjust the bass and volume on the speaker. Also want to plug headphones in and switch from tv to headphones without problems.

I want quality - in my living room, I have a Denon X1100W with a Polk subwoofer and 5 Polk speakers. For just watching TV in bed, I don't need tops, but I do want more than $20 budget speakers. ($100 max.) The speakers must be small enough, have nice clarity and be adjustable. (Bose Companions aren't adjustable so I ruled them out for that.)

You might wonder what size "small" is, but I can tell by looking at them. In comparison to my Polk T15s, the Polks are too deep and too wide, but not too tall. (However, I would really prefer shorter too, if possible.)

For $100 you aren't going to get much other than bargain basement soundbars from Walmart, or computer speakers.

For the dialogue clarity you're looking for, don't hold your breath given the size restrictions you're following---even if you blow $1000 on a speaker with those petite dimensions which means itty bitty little 2-3" woofers. The laws of physics aren't affected by marketing gimmicks and WAF dictates.

So, the best advice that can be given in your case: keep your expectations as low as your budget and size limits, and prepare to do a lot of back and forth trial and error, buying-and-returning until you chance upon something that you can tolerate.
Lp85253 and tonygeno like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9667 Post(s)
Liked: 6702
Quote:

So these will be in cubbies on either side of your head?

Your TV has analog audio out?

Use a miniplug to dual RCA to connect to these.

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280.../dp/B016P9HJIA
djoseph05 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
For $100 you aren't going to get much other than bargain basement soundbars from Walmart, or computer speakers.

For the dialogue clarity you're looking for, don't hold your breath given the size restrictions you're following---even if you blow $1000 on a speaker with those petite dimensions which means itty bitty little 2-3" woofers. The laws of physics aren't affected by marketing gimmicks and WAF dictates.

So, the best advice that can be given in your case: keep your expectations as low as your budget and size limits, and prepare to do a lot of back and forth trial and error, buying-and-returning until you chance upon something that you can tolerate.
I don't expect concert sound, like I said, no overkill. Just good enough for tv at night. Thanks for your input.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Although it may be heresy around these parts, for a small bedroom setup I would go with powered speakers. Here are a few to check out

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/wire...uter-speakers/

https://www.kantoaudio.com/powered-speakers/yu2/

https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/m24-p...-speakers.html
post #7 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=gajCA;59137756]So these will be in cubbies on either side of your head?

Your TV has analog audio out?

Use a miniplug to dual RCA to connect to these.

The Edifier 1280s look like a good possibility. Yes, my TV has the connections. Thanks for your reply, I'll check them out.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 01:51 PM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Not so sure about that. These sound pretty fantastic for the price and are small and self-powered.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ux-in--300-467

If OP has an amp, get the non-powered versions for $62 shipped.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-pair--300-465

Although they are still probably too big.

OP could always build a set of quality small speakers:

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-a...the-quark.html
Rgarc likes this.

Last edited by _tk; 01-22-2020 at 01:55 PM.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 01:54 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Check these out, 4 1/2" woofer and an air motion tweeter. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...eeter--300-451
Buy two pairs and you won't pay any shipping, and you'll still be under budget.
djoseph05 likes this.

Yamaha A-S1000 - Salk Song Towers - HTPC (Linux) - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 (WWG1WGA) --- Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #10 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
I recently purchased an Amazon Echo Plus for my bedroom, and I'm really happy with the audio quality. They have an Amazon Echo Studio, which should sound even better.

I don't know how it'd work with your TV, though. I haven't researched that functionality.
I hadn't thought to look at any of the Echo components, but I'll look into that possibility too.

Thanks for your input.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=Rgarc;59138008]Although it may be heresy around these parts, for a small bedroom setup I would go with powered speakers. Here are a few to check out

These are beyond the price for the bedroom setup, but look nice! Thanks for your input.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

I think the Edifiers might do it. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Last edited by djoseph05; 01-22-2020 at 02:30 PM.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 02:41 PM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
I think the Edifiers might do it. Thanks for the input, everyone!
The powered Dayton's I linked are going to sound better than the Edifiers. Be wary of a speaker that doesn't post its frequency response for everyone to see. I remembered having to dig to find that the -9db(!) is at 75Hz.

Basically, those aren't going to have any bass at all.
Zorba922 and djoseph05 like this.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I'm having trouble replying in this forum (503 errors, and keeps logging me out) so please excuse me if I mess up. I'm going to check out the Edifiers.

Thanks for your answer, if I haven't thanked you already.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Knucklehead90, Thanks, I just saw that about no bass on the Edifiers. I see what you mean.

I need to look into the Daytons you pointed me to - 2 pairs, small enough and within budget to get a set for near the TV too.

Thank you so much for your answer.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7975 Post(s)
Liked: 6086
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
Not so sure about that. These sound pretty fantastic for the price and are small and self-powered.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ux-in--300-467
Well, if anybody can beat the odds, it would be Parts Express and their Dayton line of products. I still remember their $20 T-amp from the early 00s.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #17 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Knucklehead90, Thanks, I just saw that about no bass on the Edifiers. I see what you mean.

I need to look into the Daytons you pointed me to - 2 pairs, small enough and within budget to get a set for near the TV too.

Thank you so much for your answer.
I use four of the "bigger brother" B652-AIR https://www.parts-express.com/Search...itesearch=true and a Craigslist $40 Yamaha receiver on my three season patio. For about $125 all in, sounds great. Not sure of your size needs, just wanted to give the Dayton Airs some love.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 237
The Dayton powered model MK402BTX linked above is nice for the money. I have a pair on my computer desk.

However, they don't have tone controls or a headphone output, which the OP mentioned wanting. The tone controls might not be necessary, although speakers can sound a bit tubby and bass heavy in a cubby hole. They sound tubby on my desk because the desk back is closed.

The unpowered version of those Dayton speakers plus a small amp that includes a headphone output might be more convenient.

Another thought, does the TV have bluetooth? You could go with a single decent bluetooth speaker near your head and bluetooth headphones when you want.

-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Get an inexpensive soundbar/sub combo and call it a day.
post #20 of 21 Old 01-23-2020, 10:08 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have a similar problem, but to use any wireless speaker, I need a transmitter (Bluetooth or other); my source only has analog outputs. Sigpig suggests a soundbar, but are those wireless? I have one for my TV and the sub is wireless, but it plugs into the TV's analog outs.
post #21 of 21 Old 01-23-2020, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 324
[quote=djoseph05;59138194]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
Although it may be heresy around these parts, for a small bedroom setup I would go with powered speakers. Here are a few to check out

These are beyond the price for the bedroom setup, but look nice! Thanks for your input.
Sorry about that. The Edifiers and Daytons will be good options in the $100 range. The edifiers seem to have more of the features you want. If you were thinking that you needed to buy a receiver as well then my suggestions would make more sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bedroom speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page