Help with deciding on klipsch speakers. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 15 Old 01-22-2020, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with deciding on klipsch speakers.

Hey all, I have decided to buy an audio system for my living room. It's about 15x18 or so and I have a benq lk952 projector onto a cinegrey 3d 135 inch screen.

I have 8 foot ceilings and the main seating is about 15 feet away.

I just bought a

2x 820f floor $600
1x 34c center $300
2x r41m surround $90
2x 12sw subwoofer $400

Total. $1390

I just saw a package that has a

2x 625fa front/atmos
1x 52c center
2x r41m surround
1x 100sw subwoofer

Total $999

I also have the option of just purchasing just the

2x 625fa for $549, returning the 820f, giving me a total cost of

2x. 625fa
1x. 34c
2x. r41m
2x. 12sw

$1340

I could also take back one of the subwoofer and save another $200, but aesthetically I like the symmetry.

If I am about 14 feet away from a upfiring atmos speaker with the 8 foot ceiling, will that work?

I would appreciate any advice on what yall recommend. The application of this is what would be used for normal living room viewing/listening, with home theater crossover.

I don't know a lot about audio equipment but have been told that the klipsch reference line is a good base level system, and I like the aesthetics of the speakers.

The reciever I have is a Yamaha 7850, so it should work with the speakers in question.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-22-2020, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
I would stick with what you have or step up to rp series for front 3

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #3 of 15 Old 01-22-2020, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7979 Post(s)
Liked: 6090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mox Monkey View Post
I don't know a lot about audio equipment but have been told that the klipsch reference line is a good base level system, and I like the aesthetics of the speakers.
Whatever Klipsch speakers you have bought, take them out of the boxes and LISTEN to them. For at least 1-2 hours, at your normal listening volumes.

If your ears do not complain and you enjoy their strong treble, proceed.

If you experience ear fatigue, put them back in their boxes and return them while you can.

Klipsch speakers are usually a love-or-hate proposition, figure out directly which side YOU fall on.

Nobody on an online forum can figure that out for you.

There are plenty of speakers with pretty cabinets on the market. Some of them actually sound good, and some (not many) both sound good and provide decent value for your money.

PS. The packages you are looking at all stick you with weak crappy subwoofers in exchange for big pretty-looking towers you likely don't even need. Consider NOT buying full packages---they almost always screw you in the end while making you THINK you're getting a good deal.

PPS. Unless you have a spouse holding a gun to your head, don't get hung up on aesthetics---focus on the actual (GASP!) *sound* rather than just the LOOKS.
Ryan Statz likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-22-2020, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I have set up and listened to the 820f and 34c, the 12 sw and r41m arrive today.

I like the way they sound. Thanks

I was mainly intrigued by the 620fa because of the atmos integration, and wondered if the smaller 6.5 woofers would be a good trade off.

I like the idea of spending $50 less and having the atmos speakers, plus I think they'd be easier to resell.

Is there a big difference between the 8 inch and 6.5 inch speakers?

Is the upfiring atmos the real deal.

Should having the upfiring atmos 14 feet away with a flat 8 foot ceiling work?

I appreciate all the comments
post #5 of 15 Old 01-22-2020, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Hey all, I have decided to buy an audio system for my living room. It's about 15x18 or so and I have a benq lk952 projector onto a cinegrey 3d 135 inch screen.

I just bought a

2x 820f floor $600
1x 34c center $300
2x r41m surround $90
2x 12sw subwoofer $400

Total. $1390

2x 625fa front/atmos
1x 52c center
2x r41m surround
1x 100sw subwoofer

Total $999

2x. 625fa
1x. 34c
2x. r41m
2x. 12sw

$1340

I could also take back one of the subwoofer and save another $200, but aesthetically I like the symmetry.

If I am about 14 feet away from a upfiring atmos speaker with the 8 foot ceiling, will that work?

I would appreciate any advice on what yall recommend. The application of this is what would be used for normal living room viewing/listening, with home theater crossover.

The reciever I have is a Yamaha 7850, so it should work with the speakers in question.

Thanks for your input.
@Mox Monkey ,

If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting them from??
post #6 of 15 Old 01-22-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I have set up and listened to the 820f and 34c, the 12 sw and r41m arrive today.

I was mainly intrigued by the 620fa because of the atmos integration, and wondered if the smaller 6.5 woofers would be a good trade off.

I like the idea of spending $50 less and having the atmos speakers, plus I think they'd be easier to resell.

People who've had both upfiring Atmos speakers vs in-ceiling Atmos pretty much always say there's no comparison, in/on-ceiling is worlds better. Opposite of "real deal."

8 vs 6.5" woofers, depends on how bad the sub is...a weak sub, the 8" might be worth it.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 15 Old 01-22-2020, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

The 820f and 34c open box at Best buy

12sw and 41m @ Costco

And the combo set with the 625fa and 10 inch sub at adorama
post #8 of 15 Old 01-22-2020, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2807 Post(s)
Liked: 2692
Quote:

Probably not. You would be better off to wait and get some height speakers like the Klipsch RP-SA series and mount them as front height as high on the wall as you can or on either side of the listening position high on the wall.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #9 of 15 Old 01-22-2020, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

12sw and 41m @ Costco

Ok let me see if I can help you since I have some of your speaker choices. First let me start with the Towers. I had my R820f's in my living room for about 6 months. Unbelievable sound. They were so clear where I would here instruments as they were right there in front of me. One issue, within couple of hours of listening, i would find myself lowering the volume. So they were bright, at least for me. One of my friends wanted them badly so I sold them to him and got a new set of the RP8000f's. Good speakers and definitely nowhere as bright as the Reference ones but at the same time nowhere as detailed either.
As far as the 41M's go, I am using them for surrounds in my theater and I am pleased with their sound.
Last but not least, the subs. I was using two of the R112SW in my theater for the longest time and in controversy with majority of the guys here, I liked them. Then I brought them upstairs in my living room and got 2 monolith 12's downstairs. Monoliths are able to go lower than the Klipsch but the Klipsch weren't bad by all means.
Can't help with atmos since I am running 4 in celing Klipsch R1650C.
At the end it comes down to the individual and being able to trying them out in person. if you have a good return policy I would give them a shot and see how you like them 🙂
post #10 of 15 Old 01-23-2020, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

On wall Speakers vs floor speakers what's the loss?

Hey all, I have been looking at different options for my living room/home theater.

I saw some on wall speakers the other day, in particular the Klipsch RP-640 D. I like the idea of potentially using them as left right and center speakers mounted around a projector screen . I am assuming that there is a compromise to be made for the compactness in design over a floor speaker, but what and how much of a compromise is there? They look like sound bars.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-23-2020, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I just bought a

2x 820f floor $600
1x 34c center $300
2x r41m surround $90
2x 12sw subwoofer $400

Total. $1390

2x 625fa front/atmos
1x 52c center
2x r41m surround
1x 100sw subwoofer

Total $999

2x. 625fa
1x. 34c
2x. r41m
2x. 12sw

$1340

Thanks for your input.
I wouldn’t change out the towers just to get atmos modules. The towers you have now are a good deal for what you paid. I would try to upgrade the center To the Rp504c. There’s a few places to get it for a little more than what you got the 34c for. Crutchfield has good deal on the rp450c right now too. Ultimate test is your ears. If you watch a lot of movies then get the best center you can, The upgrade in center will be much more noticeable than switching out the towers. The 2 subs you got will probably make you pretty happy as well.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-23-2020, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshtnut View Post
I wouldn’t change out the towers just to get atmos modules. The towers you have now are a good deal for what you paid. I would try to upgrade the center To the Rp504c. There’s a few places to get it for a little more than what you got the 34c for. Crutchfield has good deal on the rp450c right now too. Ultimate test is your ears. If you watch a lot of movies then get the best center you can, The upgrade in center will be much more noticeable than switching out the towers. The 2 subs you got will probably make you pretty happy as well.
not OP, but have the 625A Adorama Klipsch setup and just trying to learn.

Why does the center matter so much for movies? Isn't it just for vocals?

My center is currently sitting in a cabinet (52c). It doesn't have rear porting.
If I have to keep it in a cabinet, is the rp450c still better than the 34c? I noticed the RP450 has rear ports but the 34c does not.

thanks!

BTW OP, I have that 625 Klipsch setup and feel the upfiring atmos is pretty weak, but I also have vaulted ceilings. I'll probabbly eventually get the KlipschRP500SA height speakers for both front and back. IF you have regular ceilings though maybe you will like it.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-23-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Dough View Post

My center is currently sitting in a cabinet (52c). It doesn't have rear porting.
If I have to keep it in a cabinet, is the rp450c still better than the 34c? I noticed the RP450 has rear ports but the 34c does not.
Most audio in movies and TV *is* dialogue. Especially for many genres (news, sports, dramas, comedies). The center also does a lot of the sound effects that the film-makers want to sound like they're coming from the screen. The front L/R are there mainly for music and front panning effects...probably no more than 20-30% of the output, tops.

The RP450c has 5.25" woofers, which IMO is the minimum size you want for your fronts especially the center. Smaller woofers tend to = smaller sound and lack of tonal fullness/realism = male voices sounding like castrated chipmunks, which is what those pretty slimline centers often sound like.

For a center, the rear ports shouldn't be a problem when using an 80-100Hz crossover.

post #14 of 15 Old 01-23-2020, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Dough View Post

thanks!

BTW OP, I have that 625 Klipsch setup and feel the upfiring atmos is pretty weak, but I also have vaulted ceilings. I'll probabbly eventually get the KlipschRP500SA height speakers for both front and back. IF you have regular ceilings though maybe you will like it.
All my atmos and surrounds are in the ceiling. I would definitely recommend atmos being in ceiling or up above when possible. The 625 probably sounds good sound wise, but I have heard many people say the upfiring atmos sound weak. This is due to reflections Coming off a ceiling, most setups aren’t going to be ideal in terms of ceiling height, configuration, and seating distance.

Also as Zorba said, the center is important for dialogue in movies. I’ve used sealed and ported centers before and have liked both. There are so many factors that can determine how each speaker sounds it would be hard to say which sealed or ported center would work for each scenario.

I agree with Zorba that the port shouldn’t be an issue. The klipsch have such a strong sound that any extra bass attenuated shouldn’t mess with the overall clarity in sound.

If you have never purchased from crutchfield, their open box/scratch and dent have always looked brand new when I’ve bought them. I’ve bought at least 10-12 open box items from them so if you want it jump on that open box rp450c before it’s gone, you won’t be disappointed.

Last edited by djshtnut; 01-23-2020 at 03:10 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-24-2020, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

12sw and 41m @ Costco

Mox, welcome to the Klipsch family! I am glad you like what you bought and if you are completely satisfied then disregard everything that follows. (Beginning propaganda)

Bestbuy/Costco/Adorama is not cutting you a deal. (I am not bashing those stores, convenience is something we pay more for though). Whether you are on Facebook or not and whether you join the private group called "Klipsch Owners" or not, you need to contact Cory Harrison the owner of Paducah Home Theater in Paducah KY. I GUARANTEE you that you will save money on what you purchased, or spend the same with higher quality Klipsch speakers. Cory is the man. That Facebook page is his and he is legit. (End of propaganda)

So, once again, welcome to the Klipsch family, I hope your system brings you as much enjoyment as mine does to me.

With all due respect to you and your knowledge... I reserve the right to be wrong about what I say and think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page