Speaker Recommendation for Projector / Log Cabin - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By mdmitch2

post #1 of 12 Old 01-24-2020, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Speaker Recommendation for Projector / Log Cabin

Helllooo -- my wife and I moved into a log cabin about 2 years ago, and recently decided to ditch the 50" TV in favor of a more discreet setup with a motorized projector. The idea is to free up floor space and make the home theater disappear when not in use (as much as this is possible). I just installed an HT2050A and 100" Elite Screen, spectrum model. I have an Onkyo RC460 and some ~15 year old Fluance speakers and dayton 10" sub.

I'd like to get some wall mounted speakers (again for floor space), ideally in a wood grain to better match the home. I'm really only interested in fronts and center channel because wiring the rears would be a nightmare given that there's no drywall anywhere. I'm interested in getting the best bang for buck speakers, and happy to look for used options. Also I'm thinking that I'll mount all three above the screen, unless I can find something very attractive to go on the sides of the screen. Is it a huge sonic compromise to mount all three so close to the ceiling?

Anyway, just hoping to get some advice on speaker selection (and mounting location) -- I'm a bit overwhelmed with the variety of options. Side note, I'm a studio guy and prefer balanced, non fatiguing audio without excessive hype or upper mid frequencies. For reference, I'm currently building a studio with ATC 150asl's. Unfortunately, my budget for the home theater is on the opposite end of the spectrum, so I'm looking to spend less than $200 / speaker. Also, I'm entertaining keeping the Fluance center channel since I can wall mount that....

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-24-2020, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

I tried to include this image with the first post, but it didn't take for some reason.

post #3 of 12 Old 01-24-2020, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Apparently I don't have enough posts to be allowed to include attachments or even links... And I don't see a way to edit my posts.... anyway, here's a link to the image without the http part: imgur.com/boEo32O
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Log Cabin Projector.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2675446  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-24-2020, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8035 Post(s)
Liked: 6140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmitch2 View Post
I'd like to get some wall mounted speakers (again for floor space), ideally in a wood grain to better match the home. I'm really only interested in fronts and center channel because wiring the rears would be a nightmare given that there's no drywall anywhere. I'm interested in getting the best bang for buck speakers, and happy to look for used options. Also I'm thinking that I'll mount all three above the screen, unless I can find something very attractive to go on the sides of the screen. Is it a huge sonic compromise to mount all three so close to the ceiling?

I'm a studio guy and prefer balanced, non fatiguing audio without excessive hype or upper mid frequencies. For reference, I'm currently building a studio with ATC 150asl's. Unfortunately, my budget for the home theater is on the opposite end of the spectrum, so I'm looking to spend less than $200 / speaker.
For a balanced and neutral speaker that's easily wall mountable due to its compact, sealed cabinet design, you can't beat the Ascend 200SE, roughly $150 apiece. I'd just do 3 of them for a seamless front stage. Mounting high on the wall is fine as long as you tilt them downwards at the listening position ear level.

Another option would be the NHT SuperOne from Amazon, also a sealed cabinet, normally $175 but a steal at $100---this would be your best bang for the buck though it's known to be just slightly treble forward:
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperOne-.../dp/B00LJX4HCY

Both of the above come only in black, though. If you insist on a wood veneer, I'd look at the Hsu HB-1 in Rosewood, $189 apiece.
sigpig likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 12 Old 01-24-2020, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
For a balanced and neutral speaker that's easily wall mountable due to its compact, sealed cabinet design, you can't beat the Ascend 200SE, roughly $150 apiece. I'd just do 3 of them for a seamless front stage. Mounting high on the wall is fine as long as you tilt them downwards at the listening position ear level.

Another option would be the NHT SuperOne from Amazon, also a sealed cabinet, normally $175 but a steal at $100---this would be your best bang for the buck though it's known to be just slightly treble forward

Both of the above come only in black, though. If you insist on a wood veneer, I'd look at the Hsu HB-1 in Rosewood, $189 apiece.
Thanks! Those look like some great options to mull over. My only concern (and I should have mentioned this in the initial post) is that the room is on the large side.... it's kind of an open floor plan -= 23' long and about 20' wide at the front and over 30' wide at the rear, with 9' ceilings. Although the home theater portion is relegated to one corner and the usual listening position is only 12' from the speakers. Do you think that the dual 4" drivers in the Ascend 200's will be adequate? I know if we go up to larger speakers, we'll run into space, budget, and porting considerations....
post #6 of 12 Old 01-25-2020, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9714 Post(s)
Liked: 6737
Quote:
Thanks! Those look like some great options to mull over. My only concern (and I should have mentioned this in the initial post) is that the room is on the large side.... it's kind of an open floor plan -= 23' long and about 20' wide at the front and over 30' wide at the rear, with 9' ceilings. Although the home theater portion is relegated to one corner and the usual listening position is only 12' from the speakers. Do you think that the dual 4" drivers in the Ascend 200's will be adequate? I know if we go up to larger speakers, we'll run into space, budget, and porting considerations....
I think you'll be just fine.

Your current speakers have the tweeters firing at peoples' knee caps so assuming you tilt down the Ascends to aim at the ears of the listeners I suspect you'll note a dramatic improvement especially if you ditch that Dayton Sub.

While most excellent bang for buck $500 subwoofers are only available in black or white there are some lesser known ones that are wood grain and should be a major step up from the Dayton sub.

https://www.htd.com/Level-THREE-Powe...RoCJ_AQAvD_BwE

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 12 Old 01-25-2020, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8035 Post(s)
Liked: 6140
Quote:
If the 200SEs are backed up by a solid sub like the SVS PB12 ($500 on Amazon sale), I think you'll be fine. Its dual woofers play much larger than they look.

Dual subs would be best but that depends on your budget.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #8 of 12 Old 01-25-2020, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I think you'll be just fine.

Your current speakers have the tweeters firing at peoples' knee caps so assuming you tilt down the Ascends to aim at the ears of the listeners I suspect you'll note a dramatic improvement especially if you ditch that Dayton Sub.

While most excellent bang for buck $500 subwoofers are only available in black or white there are some lesser known ones that are wood grain and should be a major step up from the Dayton sub.
That's a beautiful looking sub! Thanks for the recommendation. I know the Dayton is trash (especially at over 15 years old), and after doing some tests last night had decided to replace it.... might have to save up a bit.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-25-2020, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
If the 200SEs are backed up by a solid sub like the SVS PB12 ($500 on Amazon sale), I think you'll be fine. Its dual woofers play much larger than they look.

Dual subs would be best but that depends on your budget.
ok cool! That seems like the way to go then -- thanks again for the advice. I'll update the thread once I get everything set up.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-25-2020, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9714 Post(s)
Liked: 6737
Quote:
That's a beautiful looking sub! Thanks for the recommendation. I know the Dayton is trash (especially at over 15 years old), and after doing some tests last night had decided to replace it.... might have to save up a bit.
Found one guy who bought one in 2016 to replace a JBL Northridge sub that was dying.

His final comment after he made mistakes setting it up in the AVR menu:

Quote:

I made the suggested changes and we have bass!

What what a change from my cruddy JBL sub.

It will still take some time to adjust to my liking and once I add my room treatment I'm back to the drawing board to some degree.

The biggest change is it has the deep, room filling bass instead of the farty thump I'm used to.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...oofer-get.html

Geoff A. J., California
post #11 of 12 Old 01-25-2020, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3201 Post(s)
Liked: 3010
For your front speakers, Check out the RSL CG5 x 3. No wood grain, but the black should be fine on that wall. If wood grain is an absolute must, look at the Q Acoustics 3020i. The Dali Menuet is smaller and has a wood grain finish. For a completely different look, check out the Totem Kin Mini Flex. It has a 15 degree angle built in, so you can cover the space without having to angle the speakers (finish unimportant in this form factor).

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-25-2020, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Search for Kef T105 on ebay.

Ultra thin wall set with sub. You may not use the rears, but maybe you will. :-) You want discrete, there it is, and it sounds good too. It's older, but many of these systems don't go out of style or sound for that matter.

Last edited by wardman1; 01-25-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page