Shallow depth on wall speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jonas2
  • 1 Post By RayGuy

post #1 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Shallow depth on wall speakers

Getting ready to mount my 77" lg oled. I have 6.1" width of wall space available on each side of TV.

Due to the layout of the space this location is only option for LR speakers. Prefer that speakers don't extend beyond screen. Max budget is around $600 per speaker. I will have rears and sub.

with a low profile mount I am calculating that surface of screen will be 3" from wall.

At this point it looks like the Klipsch RP-640 is my best choice given my requirements. It sounds like the base sound won't be the best but I can't seem to find any better options.

Anybody have any ideas for me?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 302
I would look at these or their larger T301 siblings https://www.crutchfield.com/S-pZRKFo...RoCWrIQAvD_BwE

I haven’t heard them but I would buy KEF over Klipsch almost every time. Crutchfield has a good return policy if you don’t like them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked: 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim99999 View Post
Getting ready to mount my 77" lg oled. I have 6.1" width of wall space available on each side of TV.

Due to the layout of the space this location is only option for LR speakers. Prefer that speakers don't extend beyond screen. Max budget is around $600 per speaker. I will have rears and sub.

with a low profile mount I am calculating that surface of screen will be 3" from wall.

At this point it looks like the Klipsch RP-640 is my best choice given my requirements. It sounds like the base sound won't be the best but I can't seem to find any better options.

Thanks.
You could look at the GoldenEar Supersat series. I have heard these and honestly I thought they were pretty decent. The 50s are in your budget range, the 60s are a little over your budget range. They meet your space requirements.

Was gonna say look at the Martin Logan Motion SLM, but unfortunately they are 0.3" too wide for your need. I have heard other Martin Logans, but not these specifically, so can't comment on that.

If you're running a sub, don't worry too, too much about the bass. Are you doing a center?

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Thanks.
Axiom has their M3 speakers available as in-walls for about 600 USD for the pair. I've got the conventional cabinet M3's in use as office speakers, and they have a really nice, clear and balanced sound. They have their M2s available as in-walls as well, but the M2 line has smaller drivers and the bass response is somewhat less.

https://www.axiomaudio.com/m3-in-wall-speakers

They also have a relatively new product in the M5, which is their top end bookshelf/inwall series, and still meets your budget. Haven't personally heard those.

https://www.axiomaudio.com/m5-in-wall-speakers

Last edited by WestCDA; 01-26-2020 at 09:23 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I looked at the KEFs. They are extremely thin. I assumed that I wanted to get speakers as deep as my space allows thinking that speaker performance would be limited by the depth of the enclosure.

On another thread it was recommended for me to try a phantom center configuration.

I already ran a wire for a center. So if I need one it's simply a matter of mounting it.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3201 Post(s)
Liked: 3009
There are a lot of options. PSB, Revel, Paradigm, Totem, Def Tech ... HTD on the inexpensive end. Check them out.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

From a strictly performance basis I'm guessing a decent quality bookshelf would be a far better choice?

https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-...kshelf-speaker

I would wall mount these on the sides of my TV.

I prefer the nice clean look of a shallow depth wall mountable but not if the sound is lacking.

Not sure what direction to go here.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From a strictly performance basis I'm guessing a decent quality bookshelf would be a far better choice?

https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-...kshelf-speaker

I would wall mount these on the sides of my TV.

I prefer the nice clean look of a shallow depth wall mountable but not if the sound is lacking.

Not sure what direction to go here.
There is also the avenue of soundbar-type speakers for your TV - check out Leon, Totem Acoustic, and Paradigm:

https://www.leonspeakers.com/horizon/

https://totemacoustic.com/categorie-...s/solutionbar/

https://www.paradigm.com/en/lifestyle

These are all going to be more expensive, but if you can expand the budget - you expand your options.

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #9 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
You could look at the GoldenEar Supersat series. I have heard these and honestly I thought they were pretty decent. The 50s are in your budget range, the 60s are a little over your budget range. They meet your space requirements.

Was gonna say look at the Martin Logan Motion SLM, but unfortunately they are 0.3" too wide for your need. I have heard other Martin Logans, but not these specifically, so can't comment on that.

If you're running a sub, don't worry too, too much about the bass. Are you doing a center?
+ 1 for golden ear super sats - I have the 60's and with the sub they're great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1076.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2676432  

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
+ 1 for golden ear super sats - I have the 60's and with the sub they're great

Dang, like a glove! Looks good!
smithsabom likes this.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #11 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So I’ve got a similar need for a slim profile speaker. In my case we just bought a larger sofa that goes nearly wall to wall, so I’m trying to shrink the profile of my side surrounds.

My question is, can the sound quality of a slim speaker like the Martin Logan SLM really compete with a quality bookshelf speaker in the same range? I’m only talking about surround sound use, but obviously those channels carry a fair amount of music etc. I’m currently using Polk bookshelf speakers for my surrounds and want to make sure I’m not buying something that’s more of a lateral move than an upgrade.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-27-2020, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3201 Post(s)
Liked: 3009
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgeek47 View Post
So I’ve got a similar need for a slim profile speaker. In my case we just bought a larger sofa that goes nearly wall to wall, so I’m trying to shrink the profile of my side surrounds.

My question is, can the sound quality of a slim speaker like the Martin Logan SLM really compete with a quality bookshelf speaker in the same range? I’m only talking about surround sound use, but obviously those channels carry a fair amount of music etc. I’m currently using Polk bookshelf speakers for my surrounds and want to make sure I’m not buying something that’s more of a lateral move than an upgrade.
If by "upgrade" you mean more bass, then you are barking up the wrong tree. If you mean better treble and mids, then yes, you can easily get an upgrade. Take a look at the Totem Kin Mini Flex, which will improve every element of sound quality vs the Polk, except for bass extension. Plenty of other options to choose from, as there are a lot of speakers with the tall slim form factor.
smithsabom likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page