Small Home Theater Audio Equipment Selections & Setup Inquiry - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #61 of 154 Old 03-01-2020, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thank you everyone again for all the advice, information and links provided. There is certainly a lot here to go on. Now its time to start trying them out for a change. Once I've ordered the Denon X3600H and it arrives in working condition I will then place orders for the following speakers & subs below. Unfortunately, I will only be demoing products of interest with no hassle return policies and very minimal or free return shipping. I'm only interested in speaker cabinets with either a black ash/oak or matte black finish. Once I've narrowed down the pair of bookshelf speakers and sub that sound great together in the small space they will be used in. I will then purchase the matching sub for a dual setup and finish out the LCR with the same brand of bookshelf speakers chosen along with rear surrounds. Then I will try and match the ceiling Atmos speakers with a similar design as the surrounds with reasonable high and mid range performance to keep it close to timbre consistent that my budget will allow just in case. Meanwhile as I wait for the price drop on the Denon I'm currently preparing the HT so it will be acoustically sound for the final demoing. All cables, adapters, appropriate surge protectors and ceiling mounts have already been ordered. I will order the rear speaker stands in the correct height and front L&R wall mounts afterwords. I will shortly be purchasing a 100" screen from Silver Ticket while currently the acoustic treatment and equipment cabinet will be constructed from scratch so I can allocate the extra funds towards increasing the budget on the speakers. Hopefully in the next couple of months it will all finally come together at last. Eventually, I will upgrade the projector with one that allows for lens shift and higher contrast among a few other needed features.

5.2.4 HT setup 99.99% movies w/ occasional soundtracks / .01% music only

Receiver: (Confirmed)

Denon X3600H 9.2 (shipped and sold by Amazon)
Aircom T8 (AC Infinity)

Speakers: (In trial)

Klipsch R-51M - bright sounding (Crutchfield)
Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 - neutral but slightly bright sounding (Crutchfield)
Polk TSi100 - neutral to warmer sounding (Crutchfield)
Emotiva Airmotiv B1 - neutral sounding (Emotiva) - currently out of stock
Ascend CBM-170 - neutral to warmer sounding (Ascend Acoustics)

Subwoofer: (In trial)

Polk HTS 12 (Amazon)
Monolith 10" (Monoprice)
Speedwoofer 10S (RSL Speakers) - black finish is currently out of stock

If I can push my budget a little higher and despite their larger size I may consider either the....

SVS PB2000 - discontinued model (Capital Home Theater via Amazon)
HSU VTF-2 MK5 (HSU Research)

Ceiling mounted Atmos: (Pending)

Polk OWM3 (Pro Group AV via Amazon)
NHT SuperZero 2.1 (shipped & sold by Amazon)
JBL B15 (shipped & sold by Amazon)

Note: Still reviewing more options.

If any of you have any further suggestions, corrections or recommendations keep them coming. Thanks
gajCA likes this.

Last edited by BeeAVision; 03-01-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 154 Old 03-01-2020, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
That’s funny. When I was younger I had several people mistake me for Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culken) from Home Alone. Typically it would be kids pointing at me and telling their parents, “Home Alone”! Lol. I was 10 when the movie came out, so it happened for a couple of years.

Very interesting, my younger brother looked somewhat like Macaulay Culken too. Those were some of my favorite films going up as a kid. "Uncle Buck" was another. Never get tired of watching them. I almost know every line in the script. lol
post #63 of 154 Old 03-01-2020, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeAVision View Post
Very interesting, my younger brother looked somewhat like Macaulay Culken too. Those were some of my favorite films going up as a kid. "Uncle Buck" was another. Never get tired of watching them. I almost know every line in the script. lol
Ha! I love them still and also think Uncle Buck is great - I mean, John Candy!

My kids love to tell me, “look what you did ya filthy animal” when I mess something up. I love it.

Theater looks like it’s coming along nice. I would suggest looking into some diy magnetic masking for your screen, if you haven’t already.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7705 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 154 Old 03-01-2020, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

I looked into masking earlier but never thought about using magnets. The screen will be 16:9 with a 2.375" black velvet frame. The wall is currently a flat black. I was even thinking about going with a 2.35:1 cinematic anamorphic screen and just simply build two masks for either side to establish 16:9 viewing. Unfortunately not in the budget right now but will likely happen down road. Hopefully sooner than later.
post #65 of 154 Old 03-01-2020, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I looked into masking earlier but never thought about using magnets. The screen will be 16:9 with a 2.375" black velvet frame. The wall is currently a flat black. I was even thinking about going with a 2.35:1 cinematic anamorphic screen and just simply build two masks for either side to establish 16:9 viewing. Unfortunately not in the budget right now but will likely happen down road. Hopefully sooner than later.
There are some videos on YouTube that show how to do them. Many can be done cost effectively. I went with an electronic masking screen, which I absolutely love.

Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #66 of 154 Old 03-01-2020, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Electronic masking, nice!!!! I've seen others pull a MacGyver and end up building their own.
post #67 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Electronic masking, nice!!!! I've seen others pull a MacGyver and end up building their own.
There are several YouTube videos on how to do an electronic masking screen, as well. It doesn’t seem all that complicated, or costly as long as you know your way around power tools. I originally planned on buying the Silver Ticket 100” screen and rigging up an electronic system, but my wife was generous and let me buy a 100” screen from SeymourAV that included the electronic masking.

post #68 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 881
@BeeAVision I have read nothing but good things about the JBL 580 & 590 towers, 530 bookshelfs, and 520 Center Channel. Free shipping and returns and running a GREAT sale at the moment. Just got my email alert and thought you would like to know.

https://www.jbl.com/home-audio/STUDI...ck-USA-Support

https://www.jbl.com/home-audio/STUDI...ck-USA-Current

520C
Zorba922 likes this.

7.3.4 Setup---TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, External 2-channel amplifier: Marantz MM7025 (Front Towers), Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Surround Backs: JBL S36 ,Top: JBL S36 (4), Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
post #69 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9763 Post(s)
Liked: 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Chmiel View Post
@BeeAVision I have read nothing but good things about the JBL 580 & 590 towers, 530 bookshelfs, and 520 Center Channel. Free shipping and returns and running a GREAT sale at the moment. Just got my email alert and thought you would like to know.
That's a great value on the 530s as the OP is looking at stand mount speakers.

Geoff A. J., California
post #70 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Well, well, well, looks like my luck just came in. Denon is having a sale on their X3600H receivers for $899.98. However, I just hit a small snag..... extended warranties. Should I get one for Denon? $99 for 2 yrs and $149 for 4 yrs. The 3 yr warranty on the Denon does not cover wear & tear nor shipping.
post #71 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Chmiel View Post

https://www.jbl.com/home-audio/STUDI...ck-USA-Support

520C

Wow, those look very interesting. I'll need to do some research on those for sure. Thank you so much.
post #72 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

I will definitely end up testing the Elac and Klipsch but I'm a bit on the fence with my Polk selection. I want to try and stay below $300 if I can for the bookshelf speakers just to test them. Crutchfield has four particular models I'm currently interested in. I listed them below. Whatever brand sounds the best to me I will keep and use either for the fronts or rears. If I go with dual subs I'm not sure I will even need towers this early in the build. Any suggestions on which one would be more ideal for demoing. I will be demoing a couple of subs with these speakers so I'm not concerned about bass.

TSi-100
TSi-200
RTI A3
Signature S20
post #73 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8260 Post(s)
Liked: 6301
Quote:
I will definitely end up testing the Elac and Klipsch but I'm a bit on the fence with my Polk selection. I want to try and stay below $300 if I can for the bookshelf speakers just to test them. Crutchfield has four particular models I'm currently interested in. I listed them below. Whatever brand sounds the best to me I will keep and use either for the fronts or rears. If I go with dual subs I'm not sure I will even need towers this early in the build. Any suggestions on which one would be more ideal for demoing. I will be demoing a couple of subs with these speakers so I'm not concerned about bass.

TSi-100
TSi-200
RTI A3
Signature S20
TSi are Polk's second-to-bottom model line, I'd take them off your list.

The Signature series is the replacement for the RTI-A line, so I would just try those.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #74 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Wow, those look very interesting. I'll need to do some research on those for sure. Thank you so much.
The JBLs are the best of the speakers you're currently considering by far. The free return shipping makes it a no-brainer to try out.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #75 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The JBLs are the best of the speakers you're currently considering by far. The free return shipping makes it a no-brainer to try out.

I'll give them a try then. I am a bit concerned about their center channel speaker which uses only 4" woofers. Didn't you recommend going with something larger than 4 1/2"?
post #76 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I'll give them a try then. I am a bit concerned about their center channel speaker which uses only 4" woofers. Didn't you recommend going with something larger than 4 1/2"?
Yes, this is one of the 4 scenarios where going with a mismatched center is the best option.

However, a few people have actually not minded the 520C ... so you could go ahead and order it, then send it back on JBL's dime if you're not 100% happy with it.

post #77 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

I will certainly try them out. My goal here is to demo a good range of speakers. Bright, neutral and warm. So far based on reviews the Studio 530 despite its horn design isn't bright but described as more fun or sweet sounding. So it will be very interesting to hear them out. There were some concerns about port noise from the rear of the cabinet though.
post #78 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
That's a great value on the 530s as the OP is looking at stand mount speakers.

Yeah, I had to go with stands for the rear surrounds due to a few obstacles that prevented me from using wall mounts originally.
post #79 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Well, well, well, looks like my luck just came in. Denon is having a sale on their X3600H receivers for $899.98. However, I just hit a small snag..... extended warranties. Should I get one for Denon? $99 for 2 yrs and $149 for 4 yrs. The 3 yr warranty on the Denon does not cover wear & tear nor shipping.
No, I'm 63 and have owned a lot of electronics.

If it doesn't fail in year one it will likely last at least 10 years, three have lasted 20+ years.
Tom Riddle likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #80 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I had to go with stands for the rear surrounds due to a few obstacles that prevented me from using wall mounts originally.
My sister in law has Polk TSi's.

They are worth a listen as they are far better than most on AVS would have you believe.

MUCH better than the KLH Albany's for example.

Geoff A. J., California
post #81 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
I will certainly try them out. My goal here is to demo a good range of speakers. Bright, neutral and warm. So far based on reviews the Studio 530 despite its horn design isn't bright but described as more fun or sweet sounding. So it will be very interesting to hear them out. There were some concerns about port noise from the rear of the cabinet though.
They are on sale now $297.95

https://www.harmanaudio.com/madness-...urrent#start=1
post #82 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it always seems to default back to personal taste.

Glad to hear. I've heard mostly good things about Denon so I'm sure I'll be fine. I had a Kenwood reciever 15 years ago that worked as long as I had it before I eventually sold it. Never had a Denon though and because most things are coming out of China these days I just can't tell anymore. I had purchased a 70" LG TV five or so years ago and fortunately we got the extended warranty through Best Buy. Almost every component on the TV failed until the motherboard eventually went and so Best Buy ended up replacing the entire unit with a newer model. Most of the problems happened in the first two years we had it.
post #83 of 154 Old 03-02-2020, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post

Thanks. JBL.com has the same sale.
post #84 of 154 Old 03-08-2020, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Last week I placed orders for the Polk Signature S20, Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2, Klipsch R-51M and JBL Studio 530 cabinet speakers. They should be here in the next day or two for me to demo as previously recommended. Wish the Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ were in stock to try out. It's been awhile now and it looks like they are thinning out their selection as we speak. The Denon X3600H receiver, Aircom T8 fan delivery unit, APC surge protectors, cables/wires, adapters & banana plugs have already been delivered. Equipment cabinet is complete. The DIY build out and installation of the wall & corner acoustical treatments still remains in progress. The hold up now is with the sub selection. I've decided to skip out on the Polk HTS 12 & Monolith 10". The Speedwoofer 10S in black remains out of stock so I'm dropping that one as well. I've done further research on the Rythmik LV12F, HSU VTF-2-MK5 and SVS PB-2000 and finally narrowed it down to the HSU and SVS since they will be used primarily for movies. Here's the dilemma I'm in, I would like to purchase one sub first so I can test it along with the cabinet speakers I have on order. HSU is offering a discount if I purchase them as a pair. SVS has already discounted their PB-2000 down to $699.00 each. So right now SVS looks like my best bet especially since they will refund me 100% of the cost plus shipping if I change my mind during the 45 day period. If I go the HSU route I'm pressured into getting two to obtain the deal without knowing what the return shipping will cost me for both if I have any troubles with proper placement or bass suck-out and alike. I guess I will start with SVS first. If they sound awesome which I'm sure they will and there is room for two I may likely end up ordering another PB-2000 without trying out the HSU. It's actually funny, I almost decided on purchasing two VTF-3-MK5 15" subs after seeing so many recommendations when comparing the PB-2000 with HSU's lineup of subs. It's a crazy trip to be on that's for sure. I hope I don't have the bug. Anyhow, regardless the problem still remains. As stated earlier I'm not necessarily a audiophile or at least I don't think I am ....or yet. So either choice should be fine. If I do decide to return the SVS I may pull the trigger on two VTF-2-MK5 subs or save up a little more and upgrade to the VTF-3-MK5 which may likely rattle my house if I go with two. Of course, that all depends on what I encounter later. Despite the hiccups, the good news here is I'm drawing near to finalizing everything.... or at least for the next year or two until my wallet recovers. For my center channel speaker I'm really pleased with the Emotiva Airmotiv C2+. Nothing but good reviews. Too bad I can't try out their bookshelf speakers with built-in ribbon tweeters. Depending on my brand of choice I may go ahead and purchase the C2+. I guess will have to wait and see.

Last edited by BeeAVision; 03-08-2020 at 09:47 PM.
post #85 of 154 Old 03-09-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Wish the Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ were in stock to try out. It's been awhile now and it looks like they are thinning out their selection as we speak.
If you have the floor space, why not try the Emotiva T-Zero instead? It's $170 more than the B1 but you save $$$ on the cost of speaker stands, and get an extra woofer for more headroom and dynamics.
sigpig and Joshua Chmiel like this.

post #86 of 154 Old 03-09-2020, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
If you have the floor space, why not try the Emotiva T-Zero instead? It's $170 more than the B1 but you save $$$ on the cost of speaker stands, and get an extra woofer for more headroom and dynamics.

Actually I thought about getting the Airmotiv T+ towers but wanted to keep things light and small in case I had to return them. They do not pay for return shipping.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #87 of 154 Old 03-18-2020, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

I realize there is somewhat of a debate on whether the Atmos speakers need to timbre match the LCR and surrounds but I'm not too concerned about matching the same brand. However is it wise to match the tweeter design or is that a moot point? So for example, if I decide to go with Kilpsch does the Atmos speakers need a horn or is a dome tweeter okay? Also, which is better ported or sealed for Atmos?

Atmos speaker choices:

Polk OWM3 - now $89 a pair on Amazon
Polk S10
NHT Super Zero 2.1 - comes only in a black piano finish
SVS Prime Satellite - rear ported may pose a problem

Though the price looks really good on the Polk OWM3 speakers I may end up going with the SVS Prime Satellite speakers in the black ash finish for Atmos. As mentioned earlier I'll have to wait and see what brand I decide to go with for my LCR speakers.
post #88 of 154 Old 03-18-2020, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Also what's up with Emotiva's B1+ speakers? They've been out of stock for a couple of months now. Are they having trouble with manufacturing or are they coming out with a B2 model? Didn't see anything posted about it on Emotiva's forums.
post #89 of 154 Old 03-18-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I realize there is somewhat of a debate on whether the Atmos speakers need to timbre match the LCR and surrounds but I'm not too concerned about matching the same brand. However is it wise to match the tweeter design or is that a moot point? So for example, if I decide to go with Kilpsch does the Atmos speakers need a horn or is a dome tweeter okay? Also, which is better ported or sealed for Atmos?

Atmos speaker choices:

Polk OWM3 - now $89 a pair on Amazon
Polk S10
NHT Super Zero 2.1 - comes only in a black piano finish
SVS Prime Satellite - rear ported may pose a problem

Though the price looks really good on the Polk OWM3 speakers I may end up going with the SVS Prime Satellite speakers in the black ash finish for Atmos. As mentioned earlier I'll have to wait and see what brand I decide to go with for my LCR speakers.
Personally I'd just get the Polk OWM3 because I seriously doubt it would make any difference being Atmos speakers.

However, a better option than the Prime Sats would be the SuperZeros. Or the front-ported RSL CG3 which has free return shipping.

If you have a strong preference for a "black ash" non-shiny finish, I'd look at the JBL B15 from Amazon, $200/pr right now and a sealed cabinet. Am using a pair for rear surrounds and quite happy with them in that capacity.

post #90 of 154 Old 03-18-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Also what's up with Emotiva's B1+ speakers? They've been out of stock for a couple of months now. Are they having trouble with manufacturing or are they coming out with a B2 model? Didn't see anything posted about it on Emotiva's forums.
Probably delays in Chinese ports/factories due to the pandemic; have you called them to ask? Never heard of any B2 model.

The T-Zeros would be worth the extra $170 over the B1s though, since you'd have to get speaker stands for the B1s which would make it no more than a $70 upgrade in exchange for giving you a second woofer and a 2.5 way design.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page