Small Home Theater Audio Equipment Selections & Setup Inquiry - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #1 of 159 Old 01-27-2020, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Small Home Theater Audio Equipment Selections & Setup Inquiry

This is my first post here and just became a member yesterday. However, I have been lurking here for sometime and learned a great deal of information reading many of your comments. So my humbling thanks goes out to all of you for sharing the incredible wealth of information and experience that you bring to the table here.

So I've decided to go ahead and convert my media room to a dedicated HT. It's an upstairs space that was added on by the builder about 15 years ago as an upgrade for the home model we chose to go with. It's not a spare bedroom and we have a separate bonus room that you have to walk through to get to the media room. Its been used primarily for storage but now its about time I get this done before I eventually decide to downsize to a smaller home. I have attached five presentations that will hopefully help everyone here with any honest suggestions or recommendations.

For this portion I will need some advice for a good sound system and setup that will make the most sense for the space I have to work with without necessarily compromising on the overall experience. I'm starting to narrow down what I'm looking for in a system. I've already experienced 5.1 surround sound in the past but have been recently interested in trying out Dolby Atmos. Due to space constraints and the good information I've gathered here it looks like 5.1.4 would make the most sense for me. 7.1.4 would be nice but unfortunately the MLP is not far enough away from the back wall to ideally make it work. 5.1.2 could work also but I maybe cutting myself short on experiencing full Atmos. I'm not interested in enabled or hybrid arrangements where the sounds are reflected or bounced off the ceilings and down to the listener. I would like to use actual speakers for this. With that said, I do not currently want to cut holes in the walls nor ceilings for speakers. I much rather prefer to use box speakers for this project. The renderings provided show the speakers on floor stands however I will likely mount them on the walls instead. The front left and right speakers are the only exception if the use of towers produce an overall better sound. Above all I do not want to go overboard on this. In other words, its nice to have a Ferrari but if you can't race it you don't really get to enjoy its full potential you ultimately paid for. So since these speakers will be rather close to the MLP I don't think I need anything real powerful. Also I'm not a big audiophile but I do enjoy being moved by great sounds. I basically want to feel immersed in the movies I watch without being blasted out of my seat. That reminds me of a scene with Marty McFly in Back to the Future where he's standing in front of a large speaker. We all know how well that went. lol All jokes aside, I do realize selecting speakers is sometimes more about preference than anything but since I don't have a real effective way of trying them out in person I will need to rely on any information I can get before I make a purchase. My local Best Buy store didn't really have what I was looking for and there isn't really another store around here that offers a better experience and selection that I'm aware of. Sure a road trip would help but unfortunately don't have the time to do that right now. I would also like to keep everything under one brand name if at all possible with the exception of the receiver to avoid any compatibility issues. Right now I'm looking at either Denon or Yamaha for the receiver and SVS, Klipsch or Elac for the speakers. I was also looking at Onkyo on Amazon however some of the negative reviews I've read kept me away. My budget is around $2,500 for the speakers and receiver. I would like to include all the mounts, cables and adapters in that budget as well. Of course likely won't happen though. Also, haven't really looked into power conditioners and surge protectors yet. Not really sure if I need anything special. Once I get the speakers I can start focusing on the acoustical treatments in the room.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Media-HT_Renderings.png
Views:	202
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2676790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Media-HT_Alternative_Accoustical_Wall_Panels.png
Views:	139
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2676792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Media-HT_Dimensions.png
Views:	139
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	2676794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Media-HT_Seating_Arrangement.png
Views:	120
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	2676796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolby_Atmos_Configurations.png
Views:	121
Size:	660.5 KB
ID:	2676798  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 159 Old 01-27-2020, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

One other thing, I would prefer not to have to purchase a preamplifer so ELAC maybe out of question. Need speakers that can work quite well with just a good receiver. Klipsch is looking more promising. I wish I could hear them in person rather than relying on Youtube videos. The closes Klipsch dealer to me is a custom installer. They don't have a showroom.
post #3 of 159 Old 01-27-2020, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3338 Post(s)
Liked: 3134
If, as you state, you sit very close and don't need anything real powerful, then there is no absolute necessity for the Klipsch solution. Lots of other options out there.

If you can't take the time to demo speakers, then can you order a few sets from Crutchfield and at least have a few choices you can hear and choose between? Pick any three bookshelf sets, demo them all and choose one. Fill out the rest of your set with that brand and ship the other two back. This is a far better option than buying any speaker unheard. BTW, it only costs $10 in return shipping for bookshelf speakers, and less than that if you keep a pair, so basically zero outlay for peace of mind.

Perhaps add a set from one of the online purveyors. RSL has the CG5/25 (or 3/23) and free return shipping.

If you are serious about ELAC, the new Debut Reference has gotten rave reviews, but not available at Crutchfield, so you'll have to find another source (BB?).

As to a sub, there is zero reason to keep to the same brand. There will be no compatibility issues with which to be concerned. Choose from HSU, Rythmik, RSL, SVS, as online retailers give you a lot more sub for the money.

For a receiver, stick with Yamaha, Denon, or Marantz in the big brand / reasonable price category

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 01-27-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 159 Old 01-27-2020, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 881
That is one tight budget for 5.1.4 receiver and speakers. $2500, here is what and why I would spend:

Receiver $750 These are refurbished units but good ones. This place has a great reputation and my experience buying my amp was excellent.

Newer version of what I use. Wonderful sound and ease of use. - https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html

Same parent company as Marantz. Rated for more watts and has a larger power supply. - https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html

Not quite the wattage, but probably won't notice. Has extra piece of mind with the extra warranty period. - https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html

Ok so now we have $1750 left. Ideally you would like 2 subs for evenness of response. With only one, make sure it is a good one. I was not impressed with the SVS in this price range when I was auditioning subs. This sub I have not heard, but by all accounts I have read, it would be my top choice at this price of $500 +$100 for shipping.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24456

That leaves $1150. Because you don't want to cut holes in the ceiling and you are on a tight budget, I can't think of a better solution than these. Use a stud finder to screw into a ceiling joist to mount and Ghost Wire for a clean looking install.

Speakers, 2 sets for the four ceiling. $270 - https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Wa...61&sr=8-5&th=1

And the Ghost Wire for them. We will say 50' is enough to run them down to the base boards and the termination blocks for the standard wire to the receiver. $75

https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Adhesiv...0179505&sr=8-2

That leaves $805. Not much for 5 speakers. I would get another set of OWM3s as surrounds. You can mount directly to the wall saving on the need for speaker stands or more expensive towers. So $135. That leaves only $670 for the front three. I would go with the OWM3 larger brother the OWM 5. You can mount on the wall to the sides and below the screen. Being an MTM design you can get away with the center speaker being horizontal while left and right are vertical. Best solution would be all three vertical mount behind an acoustic transparent screen. $600

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Bo...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

That leaves you with $70 for speaker wire and me personally banana plugs to plug into the receiver.

Speaker Wire - https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-GearI...s%2C169&sr=8-3

Banana Plugs - https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct...s%2C173&sr=8-3

This leaves you $17 under budget.

7.3.4 Setup---TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, External 2-channel amplifier: Marantz MM7025 (Front Towers), Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Surround Backs: JBL S36 ,Top: JBL S36 (4), Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
post #5 of 159 Old 01-28-2020, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9791 Post(s)
Liked: 6811
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeAVision View Post
One other thing, I would prefer not to have to purchase a preamplifer so ELAC maybe out of question. Need speakers that can work quite well with just a good receiver. Klipsch is looking more promising. I wish I could hear them in person rather than relying on Youtube videos. The closes Klipsch dealer to me is a custom installer. They don't have a showroom.
I see you are in "central Florida."

Chane, a speaker line is based near Tampa Florida so you might want to contact @jonlane to see if he's ever in your area and if so maybe he could bring you some speakers to demo.

Chane are VERY well received by virtually all AVS members who have purchased them.

They are within your budget.

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/
Zorba922 and sigpig like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 159 Old 01-29-2020, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all your comments. I've been doing more research on this and looked into what you all posted. I was able to find a Best Buy store that had both the Kilpsch and ELAC on display along with a few other brands. So far I really like them both. Unfortunately, their floor model demonstrations were not in an ideal environment nor configuration. I really need to hear these in the room I'm going to place them in. I may have to take RayGuy's advice and order three or four pairs of bookshelf speakers from different brands through Crutchfield to be sure which brand I like the most. I believe they either have a 30 or 60 day return policy. If I purchase them from Best Buy I can just simply pick them up and later drop them off but there is a 10% restocking fee for any open box they receive back. So that won't work. Joshua Chmiel, I really appreciate all the effort and time you put into your post along with links to every item including the cables and adapters. And with $17 under budget that was an amazing proposal. With your suggestions and further research I have finally decided on both the Denon 9.2 4000 series as my receiver and Polk OWM3 for my Atmos speakers. I'm still on the fence on whether to purchase the receiver refurbished or new. I've read some pros and cons about purchasing receivers refurbished that has me a bit hesitant. I also read that if I do purchase refurbished to make sure it is direct from the manufacture and not through a third party which may complicate matters later if something were to go wrong with the unit. If I purchase it new I will have to go with the AVR-X4500H model as the X4400H is no longer in stock. But that will end up costing me another $400 more. Another option is to go with the Denon AVR-X3600H new for only $900 vs $1200 for the AVR-X4500H. The biggest difference I see right away is 20 watt reduction in power output. Not sure if I will even be able to tell the difference. Some members here on the forums say there is quite a bit of difference in sound between the 3000 vs the 4000 series. But is it really worth $300 more for someone like me just getting started with Atmos? The AVR-X3600H is a newer model though. As for the front and back speakers I'm still deciding on those. I will likely avoid using towers for the front left and right speakers. Instead I think I will go with good shelf speakers for both front and back with two relatively good subwoofers place either in front or in opposite corners of the room. I may either go with Monolith or SVS. As Joshua recommended I think 10" would be just fine as a pair in the size space I'm working with. With that said I might start with just one at first and purchase the second one if I need it. I did get a chance to listen to a down firing sub yesterday and I must say with just one of these in operation the room just simply came alive. It was nearly impossible to tell where the speaker was. Since it was on carpet there was no unwanted rattling within the room that I could tell. So now I'm doing additional research to see what configuration will suit me best. I know ported will be the way to go over sealed. I'm still looking into Chane speakers. Seems from what I hear they are more natural sounding compared to other brands like Klipsch. I'll try and email Jon Lane for more information.
post #7 of 159 Old 01-29-2020, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Thank you so much for all your comments. I've been doing more research on this and looked into what you all posted. I was able to find a Best Buy store that had both the Kilpsch and ELAC on display along with a few other brands. So far I really like them both. Unfortunately, their floor model demonstrations were not in an ideal environment nor configuration. I really need to hear these in the room I'm going to place them in. I may have to take RayGuy's advice and order three or four pairs of bookshelf speakers from different brands through Crutchfield to be sure which brand I like the most. I believe they either have a 30 or 60 day return policy. If I purchase them from Best Buy I can just simply pick them up and later drop them off but there is a 10% restocking fee for any open box they receive back. So that won't work. Joshua Chmiel, I really appreciate all the effort and time you put into your post along with links to every item including the cables and adapters. And with $17 under budget that was an amazing proposal. With your suggestions and further research I have finally decided on both the Denon 9.2 4000 series as my receiver and Polk OWM3 for my Atmos speakers. I'm still on the fence on whether to purchase the receiver refurbished or new. I've read some pros and cons about purchasing receivers refurbished that has me a bit hesitant. I also read that if I do purchase refurbished to make sure it is direct from the manufacture and not through a third party which may complicate matters later if something were to go wrong with the unit. If I purchase it new I will have to go with the AVR-X4500H model as the X4400H is no longer in stock. But that will end up costing me another $400 more. Another option is to go with the Denon AVR-X3600H new for only $900 vs $1200 for the AVR-X4500H. The biggest difference I see right away is 20 watt reduction in power output. Not sure if I will even be able to tell the difference. Some members here on the forums say there is quite a bit of difference in sound between the 3000 vs the 4000 series. But is it really worth $300 more for someone like me just getting started with Atmos? The AVR-X3600H is a newer model though. As for the front and back speakers I'm still deciding on those. I will likely avoid using towers for the front left and right speakers. Instead I think I will go with good shelf speakers for both front and back with two relatively good subwoofers place either in front or in opposite corners of the room. I may either go with Monolith or SVS. As Joshua recommended I think 10" would be just fine as a pair in the size space I'm working with. With that said I might start with just one at first and purchase the second one if I need it. I did get a chance to listen to a down firing sub yesterday and I must say with just one of these in operation the room just simply came alive. It was nearly impossible to tell where the speaker was. Since it was on carpet there was no unwanted rattling within the room that I could tell. So now I'm doing additional research to see what configuration will suit me best. I know ported will be the way to go over sealed. I'm still looking into Chane speakers. Seems from what I hear they are more natural sounding compared to other brands like Klipsch. I'll try and email Jon Lane for more information.
accessories4less is an authorized Denon Dealer. https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...y/Denon/1.html

https://usa.denon.com/us/wheretobuy/...DEALER_LOCATOR

My vote to help your budget is the 3600. Those ratings of 105 watts vs 125 watts is only when two channels driven. Looking at the power supplies the 3600 is rated at 660 watts. Divide that by 9 equals 73 watts (actually less as the receiver has to power other parts). In reality during a movie all speakers are not used to full power at the same time, so power will actually be a number in between. Now the 4500 is 710 watts, so 78 x 9. Not a huge difference. Now the rule of thumb for speakers is you loose 6db for every doubling of distance. So at 9' we will say 9db loss (will actually be less as your room will re-enforce sound) And average speaker with 88db sensitivity will be 79db with 1 watt. The other rule of thumb is it takes double the power to get 3db gain. So in this case it will take 64 watts to get to 97db, 128 watts to get to 100db. Neither receiver will get you 128 watts, both offer pre-outs for external amplification, so unless the 4500 has a specific feature you want, go with the 3600. As far as the Klipsch speakers, I know many that love them and are no doubt have some really good ones in their line up. I have Klipsch pro-media computer speakers which are awesome. BUT, I have read in many many many places they lie with pants on fire about their sensitivity ratings. So do what you plan on doing and pick speakers that sound good to you.

Now as far as the subs go I noticed today they are offering free shipping on the Monolith with a small discount for getting two at only $950. Great deal! I don't think a single sub at that price would be the better idea unless you were the only listener and wanting to go extreme. If free shipping is not an option and you are willing to stretch your budget for dual subs, I suggest checking out Power Sound Audio and emailing them for B-stock options sales. Here is latest post of options https://www.avsforum.com/forum/426-p...l#post59055066 Those V1500 pair would destroy the Monoliths in performance and that S3000i pair would be an endgame sub. I get a flat response down to single digits. Those S3000i subs are absolutely incredible! Their B-stock from them get a fresh 5 year warranty and you can trade them in for an upgrade in the future.

7.3.4 Setup---TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, External 2-channel amplifier: Marantz MM7025 (Front Towers), Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Surround Backs: JBL S36 ,Top: JBL S36 (4), Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
post #8 of 159 Old 01-29-2020, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

As much as I'm not impressed with the look or need of having the headphone, mic, hdmi and usb ports dotted along the front of the receiver I've decided to go with Denon AVR-X3600H. So that takes care of the receiver selection. And as mentioned earlier I'm also going with the Polk Audio OWM3 x4 for the ceiling (Atmos). I haven't contacted Jon Lane yet but I'm still a bit skeptical of the Chane speakers. I watched a review on them and though they sound quite natural they also seem rather flat to me. Of course Youtube videos are certainly not an ideal way of testing speakers. Another problem I see is their ports are at the rear. I actually plan on mounting these speakers to the wall rather than on floor stands. I could probably settle with floor stands for the front left and right speakers but the rears need to be wall mounted. The center speaker will likely end up resting on the entertainment console pending it doesn't block the screen. For the subs $40 or $50 isn't a huge savings so I will likely start with one and go from there. I don't really want to spend over $1,000 for the subs if I can avoid it without sacrificing the HT Atmos experience. Based on the specs the 10" Monolith is definitely a major improvement over the 100 watt Sony I had from 2004.
post #9 of 159 Old 01-29-2020, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Going back to what I said before regarding the Chane speakers. What I really meant to say is they sounded very natural but lacked the impact I was hearing from the Kilpsch and ELAC. They seam great for playing music but for a home theater experience not so sure. I wish there was more video reviews of them. I even read somewhere they were out of stock for nearly a year. That's either a good sign or not so good. I can't really tell. With that said, listening to both the Kilpsch and ELAC for long periods of time could give me a headache after awhile based on what some others were experiencing.
post #10 of 159 Old 01-29-2020, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 2742
Quote:
Going back to what I said before regarding the Chane speakers. What I really meant to say is they sounded very natural but lacked the impact I was hearing from the Kilpsch and ELAC. They seam great for playing music but for a home theater experience not so sure. I wish there was more video reviews of them. I even read somewhere they were out of stock for nearly a year. That's either a good sign or not so good. I can't really tell. With that said, listening to both the Kilpsch and ELAC for long periods of time could give me a headache after awhile based on what some others were experiencing.
You can't go by that. Get some RSL CG23s for your front three. 30 day trial period, front ported, not a bad review to be found on them, price is right and they'll be plenty for that listening distance.
Joshua Chmiel likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #11 of 159 Old 01-29-2020, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I'll look into those.
post #12 of 159 Old 01-29-2020, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8314 Post(s)
Liked: 6352
Quote:
I watched a review on them and though they sound quite natural they also seem rather flat to me. Of course Youtube videos are certainly not an ideal way of testing speakers. Another problem I see is their ports are at the rear. I actually plan on mounting these speakers to the wall rather than on floor stands. I could probably settle with floor stands for the front left and right speakers but the rears need to be wall mounted. The center speaker will likely end up resting on the entertainment console pending it doesn't block the screen. For the subs $40 or $50 isn't a huge savings so I will likely start with one and go from there. I don't really want to spend over $1,000 for the subs if I can avoid it without sacrificing the HT Atmos experience. Based on the specs the 10" Monolith is definitely a major improvement over the 100 watt Sony I had from 2004.
If you want to wall mount, a sealed cabinet design is best because they tend to be more compact. I'd look at the Ascend 200SE and especially the NHT SuperOnes currently on sale for just $100 apiece on Amazon ($175 retail), very easy returns esp. if you're a Prime member. Just order a pair, and if you like their sound, order 3 more for a complete set. If you want to do on-ceiling speakers, you can use their little brother the SuperZeros, which Amazon has for just $68 apiece ($125 on the NHT website). Toss in a pair of SVS PB12 subs, $500 apiece also on Amazon, and you're all set and way, way under budget.

The Ascend 200SE will be more neutral/accurate than the NHTs but you won't have such as easy a return option, if that is important for you.

I would take either of those speakers over the RSL speakers...they are certainly nice, but cost way more and aside from cosmetics would not IMO be significantly better. But you could always order a pair of the CG23 as suggested for a side by side comparison since they give you free return shipping.
doni01 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #13 of 159 Old 01-29-2020, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I most likely will end up ordering several brands so that I can actually test them out in the room I'll be using them in. To keep from over charging my card I will just stick with a pair of shelf speakers for each brand I decide to test out. I realize this may not give me the full experience of a 5.1 setup however hopefully this will help lean me towards a specific brand over another.
RayGuy likes this.
post #14 of 159 Old 01-29-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I most likely will end up ordering several brands so that I can actually test them out in the room I'll be using them in. To keep from over charging my card I will just stick with a pair of shelf speakers for each brand I decide to test out. I realize this may not give me the full experience of a 5.1 setup however hopefully this will help lean me towards a specific brand over another.
Yep, that's what I would do. It's basically deciding which speakers have the sound signature you most enjoy, as well as simple qualities like voice clarity, detail and dynamics. A stereo pair is all you need to figure that out.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #15 of 159 Old 02-11-2020, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Another noob question. What is the logical difference between going with a wider center cabinet speaker as appose to a narrower speaker? I realize the importance of the center speaker and even read countless comments suggesting to opt for the largest one you can get under the same brand chosen for your LCR. I also read larger cabinet speakers produce better sound if built correctly. So technically in this case wider is better, right? Or is it more to do with aesthetics with a tad more sound?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Klipsch_center.PNG
Views:	39
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2683704  
post #16 of 159 Old 02-11-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Another noob question. What is the logical difference between going with a wider center cabinet speaker as appose to a narrower speaker? I realize the importance of the center speaker and even read countless comments suggesting to opt for the largest one you can get under the same brand chosen for your LCR. I also read larger cabinet speakers produce better sound if built correctly. So technically in this case wider is better, right? Or is it more to do with aesthetics with a tad more sound?
It's not about how wide the CABINET is, but the size of the WOOFERS inside. I'd avoid horizontal centers that have 4.5" or smaller woofers, even if there are 4-6 of them...you end up with tinny, chipmunk-sounding male voices. Plus consider the equally important question of whether the tweeter and crossover design produces adequate dialogue CLARITY or not.

If buying unheard, a 3 way design usually produces better results (e.g. Emotiva C1) though a well designed 2-way (e.g. Chane A2.4 or Ascend 340SE) can do well too.

post #17 of 159 Old 02-11-2020, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 417
While the 2018 Denon X3500H is a 7.2 system the 2019 X3600H is 9.2 so it gets you to 5.2.4 without an external amp. It should be able to drive whatever speakers you need given the size of the room.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #18 of 159 Old 02-11-2020, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Zorba922 for the quick reply. I'll make sure to keep that in mind. Since I'm only testing a few brands of bookshelf speakers I will need to make sure the brand I choose will also have the correct center channel option for my setup.
post #19 of 159 Old 02-11-2020, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
While the 2018 Denon X3500H is a 7.2 system the 2019 X3600H is 9.2 so it gets you to 5.2.4 without an external amp. It should be able to drive whatever speakers you need given the size of the room.

Yep, that's the model I'm going with. I just have to wait a little longer as Amazon just raised their prices on several of their items. Denon X3600H was $799.99 a week ago just before it went out of stock and now its $1099.00 again. Using camelcamelcamel.com to track it. Hopefully the price comes back down again soon.
post #20 of 159 Old 02-16-2020, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Polk OWM3 for my four ceiling Atmos speakers but have a few last minute concerns. Perhaps I'm over analyzing here but I've read many reviews that claimed they are good speakers for $70 to $100. However, if they are listed for $169.00 on Crutchfield would I be missing out on something perhaps even better in the same price bracket or a little more. Many of the reviews I can find on them are very old dating back to 2009. There is only one or two Youtube videos that demonstrate them as simply a good pair of computer speakers. I understand that atmos speakers don't need to be on par with the LCR and rear speakers or perhaps even need to timbre match for that matter if I'm just using them for listening to movies rather than music. However if I'm going to pay $338 for a set of four would that money be better used towards another set of speakers or a different brand? Maybe even something more current in technology than old assuming Polk hasn't made any improvements to them since they were first released over a decade ago. I still favor going with cabinet speakers vs in ceiling mounted.

Btw, I did catch the price drop on Amazon for the same set of OMW3 for $142.50. Not sure if they will drop any lower. Unfortunately that's still $40 over what some feel a pair of these are worth or in my case $80 for four. With that said, I wouldn't mind paying as much as $200 for a pair either as long as it was worth it. I'm also going to purchase dual SVS PB12-NSD subwoofers for my HT if that makes any difference with the decision which I'm sure it will. Unfortunately still testing out different brands for the LCR and rears. So can't confirm anything on those as of yet.

Last edited by BeeAVision; 02-16-2020 at 10:40 AM.
post #21 of 159 Old 02-16-2020, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Two other questions, before I get the SVS PB12-NSDs is there a difference between having the port above the speaker vs below it? I read that having more ports help with the clarity/balance of the sound but nothing really explaining the difference between port placement other than front vs back. It seems all of SVS's ported models have the ports along the bottom but this particular model has it at the top. I realize this is one of their older models but why the change? Not necessarily questioning the designer but more to with how it may affect my listening experience. Also I read and even seen a video of the front grill falling off when the subwoofers are in use. Did SVS fix this or is this still a problem on this particular model?
post #22 of 159 Old 02-16-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Polk OWM3 for my four ceiling Atmos speakers but have a few last minute concerns. Perhaps I'm over analyzing here but I've read many reviews that claimed they are good speakers for $70 to $100. However, if they are listed for $169.00 on Crutchfield would I be missing out on something perhaps even better in the same price bracket or a little more. Many of the reviews I can find on them are very old dating back to 2009. There is only one or two Youtube videos that demonstrate them as simply a good pair of computer speakers. I understand that atmos speakers don't need to be on par with the LCR and rear speakers or perhaps even need to timbre match for that matter. However if I'm going to pay $338 for a set of four would that money be better used towards another set of speakers or a different brand? Maybe even something more current in technology than old assuming Polk hasn't made any improvements to them since they were first released over a decade ago. I still favor going with cabinet speakers vs in ceiling mounted.

Btw, I did catch the price drop on Amazon for the same set of OMW3 for $142.50. Not sure if they will drop any lower. Unfortunately that's still $40 over what some feel a pair of these are worth or in my case $80 for four. With that said, I wouldn't mind paying as much as $200 for a pair either as long as it was worth it. I'm also going to purchase dual SVS PB12-NSD subwoofers for my HT if that makes any difference which I'm sure it will. Unfortunately still testing out different brands for the LCR and rears. So can't confirm anything on those as of yet.
I'd consider the NHT SuperZeros for on-ceiling use, $70 apiece from Amazon. If you are a "timbre matching" believer, they would go well with a bed layer of NHT SuperOnes ($97 apiece on Amazon, $175 apiece at the manufacturer's website). I'd take the NHT over any Polks (except for their LSi-M top-shelf line).

post #23 of 159 Old 02-16-2020, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I'd consider the NHT SuperZeros for on-ceiling use, $70 apiece from Amazon. If you are a "timbre matching" believer, they would go well with a bed layer of NHT SuperOnes ($97 apiece on Amazon, $175 apiece at the manufacturer's website). I'd take the NHT over any Polks (except for their LSi-M top-shelf line).

Thanks again. I forgot about the NHT SuperZeros. The black piano finish may pose a distraction when it comes to light bounce but I can cover them in flocking if needed. Unfortunately the LSi-M are bit over my budget.
post #24 of 159 Old 02-16-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks again. I forgot about the NHT SuperZeros. The black piano finish may pose a distraction when it comes to light bounce but I can cover them in flocking if needed. Unfortunately the LSi-M are bit over my budget.
It's actually a black matte finish. Very understated and elegant, surprising for such a low cost speaker, and totally not visible on website photos.

For mostly HT/TV use the LSi-M are overkill anyway, imo.

post #25 of 159 Old 02-16-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Polk OWM3 for my four ceiling Atmos speakers but have a few last minute concerns. Perhaps I'm over analyzing here but I've read many reviews that claimed they are good speakers for $70 to $100. However, if they are listed for $169.00 on Crutchfield would I be missing out on something perhaps even better in the same price bracket or a little more. Many of the reviews I can find on them are very old dating back to 2009. There is only one or two Youtube videos that demonstrate them as simply a good pair of computer speakers. I understand that atmos speakers don't need to be on par with the LCR and rear speakers or perhaps even need to timbre match for that matter if I'm just using them for listening to movies rather than music. However if I'm going to pay $338 for a set of four would that money be better used towards another set of speakers or a different brand? Maybe even something more current in technology than old assuming Polk hasn't made any improvements to them since they were first released over a decade ago. I still favor going with cabinet speakers vs in ceiling mounted.

Btw, I did catch the price drop on Amazon for the same set of OMW3 for $142.50. Not sure if they will drop any lower. Unfortunately that's still $40 over what some feel a pair of these are worth or in my case $80 for four. With that said, I wouldn't mind paying as much as $200 for a pair either as long as it was worth it. I'm also going to purchase dual SVS PB12-NSD subwoofers for my HT if that makes any difference with the decision which I'm sure it will. Unfortunately still testing out different brands for the LCR and rears. So can't confirm anything on those as of yet.
My niece has a pair running full range in her bedroom; they actually sound quite good and would work very well for you.

Hard to believe but one AVS member preferred this sub to the Pb12 he tested at home.

https://www.avsforum.com/wordpress/r...woofer-review/

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Su...a-492455873408

Geoff A. J., California
post #26 of 159 Old 02-16-2020, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Exactly. Just need four speakers that will do the best sensible job possible in a small closed off room for a cabinet ceiling mounted Atmos setup at around $100 a speaker without going overkill. Besides who wants to pay more for something that you will never fully get to hear or notice due to the limits placed on its purpose in the configuration its in.
post #27 of 159 Old 02-16-2020, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
My niece has a pair running full range in her bedroom; they actually sound quite good and would work very well for you.

Hard to believe but one AVS member preferred this sub to the Pb12 he tested at home.

https://www.avsforum.com/wordpress/r...woofer-review/

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Su...a-492455873408

Thanks for the suggestion and references. I really like the price on the Polk.
post #28 of 159 Old 02-16-2020, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

And since I'm going with two rather than one I may not necessarily have to spend over $400 for what I need. After all the room is on the second floor above the kitchen. Too much bass may lead to cracks in the ceiling.
post #29 of 159 Old 02-16-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
And since I'm going with two rather than one I may not necessarily have to spend over $400 for what I need. After all the room is on the second floor above the kitchen. Too much bass may lead to cracks in the ceiling.
From the link, keep in mind that the GolendEar ForceField 5 subs were $1100 each, with 1500 watts and 12" albeit in a compact cabinet so this is high praise indeed.

They "claimed" 12hz bass extension for the GoldenEars.

"Dirac Live measurements reveal a sub that lives up to its specs and then stretches a bit to give you a bit extra. What I mean by that is in-room, 20 Hz was only down by 5 dB and Dirac Live was happy to dial in flat response right down to 20 Hz. The sub did not seem to mind at all, and as a consequence I actually got better in-room response than the dual GoldenEar ForceField 5 subs I replaced with the Polk. And for anyone worried about the 200-watt amp rating, consider that the sub is able to push its driver to the limit without showing signs of stress, which in my room was as loud as I play tunes."

Having two identical subs is ideal and allows you to run each with far less gain which means lower distortion at a given volume level as adding a second gives you +6db more sound pressure level at a given frequency.

Geoff A. J., California
post #30 of 159 Old 02-16-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Having a room underneath your HT room = a huge bass suck-out. I know because I once lived in an apartment where the (huge open plan) living room was above a garage, and stupidly cheaped out on the sub which I never stopped regretting until I finally moved out of that place.

You don't have to worry about a $500 sub causing structural damage, lol. Maybe if you had some truly insane bass monsters like these:
http://jtrspeakers.com/orbit-shifter-pro.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page