1Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA

post #1 of 6 Old 02-05-2020, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Studio Monitors

Anyone use JBL or the Kali 6.5" studio monitors as a theater speaker? Been told to try it but seems like a huge pain in the butt as they only accept XLR TSR or RCA. Going long lengths of even a RCA cable is pricy. Considering snagging 5 for small secondary theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-05-2020, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9810 Post(s)
Liked: 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy.Alexander View Post
Anyone use JBL or the Kali 6.5" studio monitors as a theater speaker? Been told to try it but seems like a huge pain in the butt as they only accept XLR TSR or RCA. Going long lengths of even a RCA cable is pricy. Considering snagging 5 for small secondary theater.
Each channel takes just one RCA cable so not sure if that's a big deal.

A pair of 35 ft cables for the surrounds from Monoprice would run under $12 and two pairs of 10 ft cables for the front three fun under $12 so, all in, you're under $25 for cable.

Cheap.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5346
Ryan Statz likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 6 Old 02-05-2020, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
I am currently running three of the JBL 708P speakers for LCR.

They work GREAT for my room!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-05-2020, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8326 Post(s)
Liked: 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy.Alexander View Post
you should PM @craig john to ask, he recently set up a JBL powered speaker HT system for someone.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 6 Old 02-06-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Each channel takes just one RCA cable so not sure if that's a big deal.

A pair of 35 ft cables for the surrounds from Monoprice would run under $12 and two pairs of 10 ft cables for the front three fun under $12 so, all in, you're under $25 for cable.

Cheap.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5346
At 35', I don't think I'd run RCA, but maybe that's just me and my paranoia. I am certainly gun-shy due to finding ground loops in nearly every system I've setup with long RCA runs (maybe I'm super unlucky). While I can typically fix them (or at least get the humming to a low enough level not to bother me), it's never ideal and I've never had near as many problems running XLR (and my time is valuable and trouble shooting this crap isn't fun for me, lol).
post #6 of 6 Old 02-06-2020, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9810 Post(s)
Liked: 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
At 35', I don't think I'd run RCA, but maybe that's just me and my paranoia. I am certainly gun-shy due to finding ground loops in nearly every system I've setup with long RCA runs (maybe I'm super unlucky). While I can typically fix them (or at least get the humming to a low enough level not to bother me), it's never ideal and I've never had near as many problems running XLR (and my time is valuable and trouble shooting this crap isn't fun for me, lol).
35ft XLR are just $11 each, you could just use RCA for the front three or just get 10 ft XLRs for $15 for three.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...xoCz_gQAvD_BwE

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page