Upgrading Recommendation from Mythos - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By RayGuy

post #1 of 6 Old 02-06-2020, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question Upgrading Recommendation from Mythos

Hello All,

I have a Mythos setup that I'm growing tired of. 4s towers in front, a 7, some crap surrounds, and a SVS PB sub that is bigger than a coffee table. Now, I'm a little spoiled because often times I compare it to my friend's B&W Diamond setup which isn't fair. But, I would like a little more range in my front speakers for movies/dialogue, especially in the center channel. Not much music listening, but lots of Movies/Gaming. I'm looking at the SVS towers & center simply because the sub has been good, and wondering how they compare to my current setup and if they're a big improvement.

Other things I'm considering are

1) Your budget. - I'd like to do a full atmos setup for $2K-$4K and re-use my current SVS Sub and Receiver. Especially if people can give me a few options to look out for on craigslist. I'd love on-wall for L/R but not sure there's good options there so towers are ok (prefer to not do monitors for aesthetics)
2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music - Movies/Gaming, less music.
3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon. 5.1 setup. Mythos 4, 7, SVS PB, Denon S720W. Fuller front sound, clearer audio, +Atmos. Don't really want to wire up the top speakers so if there's an up-firing option that may be nice. Rear speakers are wired up a little too far behind listening area (45 degrees / 14' behind seating area in rear corners of the room.. just gotta live with that for now)
4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice). Giant, about the size of a 3-car garage. Lots of hard surfaces (windows, glass covered sports memorabilia/pictures).
5) Any placement restrictions. Would prefer on-wall since I have kids, but I think for the quality I want I need towers. Center might be an issue as I have space for about the width of about 20-22" in the floating shelf below the TV. Again, if there's nothing good in this size I could re-org my setup.
6) Any aesthetic or size concerns. Discussed in #5.
7) Any equipment you are already considering (or would not consider). SVS, Paradigm Reference, etc. Also would love recommendations on setups to "watch out for" on craigslist in my space.
8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.) I'd like it to be less noticeable how much sound is coming directionally from the sub and for the fronts to pick up more base

Thank you all so much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-06-2020, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9055 Post(s)
Liked: 6967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
Hello All,

I have a Mythos setup that I'm growing tired of. 4s towers in front, a 7, some crap surrounds, and a SVS PB sub that is bigger than a coffee table. Now, I'm a little spoiled because often times I compare it to my friend's B&W Diamond setup which isn't fair. But, I would like a little more range in my front speakers for movies/dialogue, especially in the center channel. Not much music listening, but lots of Movies/Gaming. I'm looking at the SVS towers & center simply because the sub has been good, and wondering how they compare to my current setup and if they're a big improvement.

1) Your budget. - I'd like to do a full atmos setup for $2K-$4K and re-use my current SVS Sub and Receiver. Especially if people can give me a few options to look out for on craigslist. I'd love on-wall for L/R but not sure there's good options there so towers are ok (prefer to not do monitors for aesthetics)
3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon. 5.1 setup. Mythos 4, 7, SVS PB, Denon S720W. Fuller front sound, clearer audio, +Atmos. Don't really want to wire up the top speakers so if there's an up-firing option that may be nice. Rear speakers are wired up a little too far behind listening area (45 degrees / 14' behind seating area in rear corners of the room.. just gotta live with that for now)
4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice). Giant, about the size of a 3-car garage. Lots of hard surfaces (windows, glass covered sports memorabilia/pictures).
5) Any placement restrictions. Would prefer on-wall since I have kids, but I think for the quality I want I need towers. Center might be an issue as I have space for about the width of about 20-22" in the floating shelf below the TV. Again, if there's nothing good in this size I could re-org my setup.
7) Any equipment you are already considering (or would not consider). SVS, Paradigm Reference, etc. Also would love recommendations on setups to "watch out for" on craigslist in my space.
8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.) I'd like it to be less noticeable how much sound is coming directionally from the sub and for the fronts to pick up more base
It won't be hard or expensive to get a huge SQ upgrade from those Mythos speakers simply by moving to normal boxed speakers rather than on-wall. Physics trumps sales gimmicks, day in and day out.

The SVS Ultras would certainly do it, though there are better price-to-performance options out there if you are ok with plain-looking black cabinets, such as the Chane A5.5 with A2.4 center.

I would recommend adding a second of the same SVS sub you currently have and perhaps putting it across the room in the diagonally opposite corner to where your current sub is right now, for more even and less directional bass.
Trojan35 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 6 Old 02-06-2020, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:
Hello All,

It won't be hard or expensive to get a huge SQ upgrade from those Mythos speakers simply by moving to normal boxed speakers rather than on-wall. Physics trumps sales gimmicks, day in and day out.

The SVS Ultras would certainly do it, though there are better price-to-performance options out there if you are ok with plain-looking black cabinets, such as the Chane A5.5 with A2.4 center.

I would recommend adding a second of the same SVS sub you currently have and perhaps putting it across the room in the diagonally opposite corner to where your current sub is right now, for more even and less directional bass.
Thanks. I’ll check those out. They don’t look too much more plain then SVS. I can’t take another mammoth sub in the same room, but maybe I’ll replace with two smaller ones with all the savings on the towers.

Also, any thoughts on supporting Atmos with a potential upfiring speaker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-06-2020, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9055 Post(s)
Liked: 6967
Quote:
Thanks. I’ll check those out. They don’t look too much more plain then SVS. I can’t take another mammoth sub in the same room, but maybe I’ll replace with two smaller ones with all the savings on the towers.

Also, any thoughts on supporting Atmos with a potential upfiring speaker?
People who've had both upfiring Atmos and Atmos in-ceilings or height speakers (e.g. SVS Elevations or simply a compact bookshelf mounted high and angled downwards) say there's no comparison, upfiring is useless.
Trojan35 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 6 Old 02-06-2020, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 3318
OK for the fun of it, they will chase the Definitive out of the room

Canton Chrono SL 596 -- sold each
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-each/1.html

Canton Chrono SL 556 center
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...r-black/1.html

Surround - Canton GLE 416
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html

Atmos - Canton AR 400
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html
Trojan35 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #6 of 6 Old 02-06-2020, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3468 Post(s)
Liked: 3280
For an on-wall application, your choices will be pretty limited. Look at the Totem Tribe III, for the front three (some price negotiation will be in order). Use what you already have for the other speaker positions.
Trojan35 likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page