I am completely new to home theater set-ups, but more recently wanted to start getting into it more to really enjoy the movies that we own.
- Goal: Create a decent HT on a budget. Going for 5.1.2
- Use: Movies (we very rarely listen to music)
- Will you be adding a subwoofer? Yes
- Are you building a surround sound system? Yes, 5.1.2
- How loud do you want to play? Nothing extreme, enough to enjoy movies at normal volume levels (let me know if this isn't descriptive enough.
- How far will you be sitting from the speakers? Approximately 8-10 feet. I'll have to measure my ceilings, but they are about 10 feet up.
- Speaker Experience: Very limited! My main experience is from what I've researched online/reviews and the soundbar that I own.
- Price: Trying to keep the remaining purchases (center/subwoofer) below ~$250. Completely open to used/refurbished equipment!
I've been in the process of piecing together equipment over the past few months. What I currently own:
- TV: LG C8 OLED
- Receiver: Onkyo TX NR737
- Subwoofer: Missing
- Center: Missing
- L/R (includes Atmos): Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73-LR
- Rears: These are in-ceiling that came with the house we bought. Developers have no idea. I'm having a hard time taking the grills off, so I don't know the brand/model yet. If anyone has any suggestions on how to remove these, let me know!
A deal came up on NewEgg (should still be available) for the SP-EBS73, so I had bought them yesterday. I am still missing the subwoofer and center channel, so I was hoping to get some advice from you guys. My two limitations are cost and size. In addition to the spouse factor, I also have limited space for the center channel. Originally, I wanted to get the Pioneer Elite SP-EC73 to get a matching speaker, but unfortunately our mantel is a bit too small. The depth of the mantel is 7.5 inches and the TV is about 4.25 inches above it. This doesn't allow most acceptable speakers to fit underneath
. I know this speaker doesn't get too high recommendations, but I have been considering getting the Polk S35. It would fit almost perfectly underneath. I've read that it is clear but tonally flaccid voice clarity (quoting Zorba922
), but we've literally never listened to any decent speakers before in our lives, so we may not be able to notice.
One suggestion I did consider was remounting the TV a few inches higher so there would be more space, but putting it up the first time was pretty stressful for my wife (since we wanted to be extremely careful with the thin OLED), so I don't really pursue that route.
Besides the Polk S35, do you have any suggestions for a center channel that would fit within the following dimensions?
- Width: Any
- Height: <4.25 inches
- Depth: <7.5 inches
I don't really have any constraints when it comes to the subwoofer besides overall cost, so up for any suggestions!
We absolutely love movies and getting our new TV literally changed how much we appreciate visuals. I really wanted to explore the audio side more since we've been using a relatively cheap soundbar/subwoofer for the past 3 years. This is our first crack at a home theater system, so absolutely any suggestions would be highly appreciated! Please let me know if I can clarify anything!