Anyone compared Emotiva T2+C2 vs Chane A5. 5 +2.4? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1 of 46 Old 02-11-2020, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone compared Emotiva T2+C2 vs Chane A5. 5 +2.4?

Looking to upgrade my 15 yr old non se Ascend 340s.
Thinking of the Emotiva T2, C2 vs the Chane setup? Thoughts for those that have heard both? LOW end covered by a Vtf-3 Mk 5. YAMMY a780 pulling receiver duties. 90% movies and TV with 10% semi critical music listening.

Love the ascends but time for something different.

Thinking emotiva for the larger center and drivers etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BOYCOTT BEST BUY IN WEST PATERSON, NJ !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 02-11-2020, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9674 Post(s)
Liked: 6708
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboy View Post
Thinking of the Emotiva T2, C2 vs the Chane setup? Thoughts for those that have heard both? LOW end covered by a Vtf-3 Mk 5. YAMMY a780 pulling receiver duties. 90% movies and TV with 10% semi critical music listening.

@MPK 1973 did, or was it @mpk1970 , he no longer posts and I can'd find the specific thread but he really like both.

He preferred the Emotiva T2s a bit but he was comparing them to the 2.4s not the 5.4.

Both speakers had good center channels.

So if bookshelf, definitely Chane, if tower, tossup, if you want a big honking center then Emotiva.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 46 Old 02-11-2020, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Hi mboy,

Your thread could fill up with speculation and hearsay, but if I can provide some objective details about our build, please email or PM me. Good luck!
jwskud and Shadowed like this.

Chane Music & Cinema
Letting anonymous Influencers advise you? For solid referrals always look to real experience instead.
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 02-11-2020, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:

As @gajCA mentions, @mpk1970 probably made the closest comparison - see here for more details. He picked the Chanes in his 9-speaker shoot-out but then later upgraded to the larger, more expensive Emotivas (although as mentioned above and in my link, he never compared the A5.4s or new A5.5s, however). And for the record, with all the research I did prior to my Chane 5-speaker purchase, the Emotivas were one of the few ~comparably-priced brands that could compete with the Chanes. The Emotiva center is larger (6.5 inch woofers vs. 5.25 inch on the A2.4), though, and more expensive ($400 vs. $279). I'm eager to see if the upcoming Chane L-series will be even better...

I have heard elsewhere but can't find the thread wherein the Chanes are considered to be more musical whereas the Emotivas are all about home theater (and another comparison which called it a toss-up). That being said, I'm about 85% HT and I adore my A2.4/A5.4s/A1.5s! There's a terrific bundle for sale at Chane with the new A5.5s...
Elihawk likes this.

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; HiVi Swan X3 monitors (laptop)
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3, Nintendo Switch, Sennheiser HDR130 headphones
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 Ultra and Isobar 4; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA

Last edited by jwskud; 02-11-2020 at 04:24 PM.
post #5 of 46 Old 02-11-2020, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post
Hi mboy,

Your thread could fill up with speculation and hearsay, but if I can provide some objective details about our build, please email or PM me. Good luck!
Thanks Jon. Was reading your forum and came across info on the A6.4 to match the 5.5s. Are they going to be offered?

post #6 of 46 Old 02-11-2020, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7979 Post(s)
Liked: 6089
Quote:

I'd put the Chane and Emotiva speakers neck and neck---can't go wrong with either.

The closest head to head competition I was able to do though was the C1 vs the A2.4 as horizontal centers. I felt the C1 had a more "grounded" or "weighted" sound, whereas the A2.4 simply seemed to throw a much larger, immersive soundstage. Both were equally clear. If I had to choose between the two, I'd simply flip a coin to be dead honest. I suppose the Chanes do have the advantage of being a "true" 8 ohm speaker, but the 10 year old $250 Panasonic AVR I had at the time never even got warm with the C1's alleged 4 ohm impedance either...of course, I should add that I'm not a volume freak so if you are then the Chanes would likely be the safer bet. And the C1 is a sealed cabinet design so it *might* be a better bet if one is stuffing the center inside a cabinet (the A2.4 does come with foam port plugs though).

The C2 however is an interesting prospect...would love to hear it myself some day, and if my media room were bigger I'd be sorely tempted to pull the trigger even though the A2.4 is already doing a fine job.

The main advantage of the Emotivas though is price, IMO...for $700 you can get a pair of T1s (less if you go with their allegedly "factory renewed" units that pop up from time to time), and for $400 their smallest tower the T-Zero which in my opinion is a mind-boggling good deal since it basically saves you the cost of speaker stands yet has dual 5.25" woofers.

Now, looking at the biggest guns, the T2 + C2, that might indeed be crazy overkill with your VTF-3 already in play, but hey for $1400 all told that's an overkill I could live with!

One thing I have to say though, if aesthetics are at all a factor, then Chane would be the better choice...I am still scratching my head at what genius in Tennessee decided it would be a great idea to dress up their otherwise fabulous speakers like Batmobiles, lol.

Now, are either of the above going to be a huge step up from your Ascends? Having owned 3 x 340s myself, I'd say that for HT, a bit doubtful. For music though, my ears would say yes and yes.
jwskud and DireWolf08 like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
Given any thought to SE 340’s?

Supposedly quite a difference. Couldn’t tell you first hand. Shoot Dave an email and ask him. Maybe it’s a cheap and simple upgrade (doubtful but try!) and may satisfy you enough to not have to buy new speakers

Those non dome tweeters sure are alluring though

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #8 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Jon. Was reading your forum and came across info on the A6.4 to match the 5.5s. Are they going to be offered?
Yes, the A6.5 as it's called now awaits just its production schedule. It's the closest match to the A5.5 in a much more compact, horizontal cabinet. Don't expect any revolutionary advantages over the A2.4 aside from acoustical size - the vertical TM array matches the tower but isn't a hands-down game-changer. The real benefit is that larger acoustical size.

Sorry that with the exception of jwskud your original terms were missed and the thread produced our usual speculation and false equivalence, but if you want to actually hear some stuff drop me a line. We guarantee it. Meanwhile if you want real ears-on user results, they're certainly out there. Try some deep searches. And thank you for your interest.

Chane Music & Cinema
Letting anonymous Influencers advise you? For solid referrals always look to real experience instead.
post #9 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 96
The Chanes certainly look much better than the Emotiva...IMO. Aesthetics wise, the Chanes look like a much more expensive product. If everything else is equal, I would get the Chane speakers for that reason.
post #10 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brireeves629 View Post
The Chanes certainly look much better than the Emotiva...IMO. Aesthetics wise, the Chanes look like a much more expensive product. If everything else is equal, I would get the Chane speakers for that reason.
Yep. Pretty much sold on the Chanes. Thanks guys.

DireWolf08 and sigpig like this.

post #11 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I was torn between these two choices as well! I have not heard the Chanes, but I am pretty sure @Zorba922 is one of the few people that has lived with both and I would trust his input as a really solid datapoint (I read a lot on here about both of these speakers and he was always a great contributor). In the end, I went with Emotiva, only because I got an incredible deal on "renewed" T1s and a C2, so price won the day in the "price vs aesthetics" battle for me. I will say that movies just come alive and I have never heard 2-channel music the way I do with these speakers. I have my T1/C2 paired with a Hsu VTF-2mk5, so similar to you. I am sure the Chane's will provide the same satisfaction. One option could be to go with the A5.5s and the C2 ...
Zorba922 likes this.
post #12 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Yep. Pretty much sold on the Chanes.
Solid choice. Get them and be happy.
DireWolf08 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #13 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Thanks. Going to start with a 2.4 for center to swap with my 340c to get a feel. Then see where the 6 series winds up and decide between A and L series.

post #14 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Going to start with a 2.4 for center to swap with my 340c to get a feel.

Then see where the 6 series winds up and decide between A and L series.
A2.4 vs 340C would be a fascinating matchup! Please update on your impressions once you get it.

post #15 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Odd isn't it that Jon would call your opinion and that of Mike (mpk1970) hearsay and conjecture despite being quite positive of the brand and owners of both.

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Odd isn't it that Jon would call your opinion and that of Mike (mpk1970) hearsay and conjecture despite being quite positive of the brand and owners of both.
Which isn't what happened.

The OP had three terms: Has anyone heard these items, was the experience between these specific models, and is it appropriate in the context of an active subwoofer. At the time of my remark he got one real world report. The rest were not, instead involving completely different product comparisons - single center centers aren't stereo floor towers, for example, hence at least one example of false equivalence.

This is a science forum. Noting that it's devolving into a casual shopping guide that in this case could easily have missed the OP's aim isn't odd; it's pertinent. While most of us can't understand the compulsion behind high post counts with little functional grasp of the actual workings, it's hardly odd to question their relevance.

I say this, of course, fully aware that it doesn't smooth feathers, but it could just serve the objective purpose, regardless where it leads. Brand positivity isn't the point, and I can't imagine this being controversial or odd.
kma100 likes this.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #17 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Which isn't what happened.

The OP had three terms: Has anyone heard these items, was the experience between these specific models, and is it appropriate in the context of an active subwoofer. At the time of my remark he got one real world report. The rest were not, instead involving completely different product comparisons - single center centers aren't stereo floor towers, for example, hence at least one example of false equivalence.

This is a science forum. Noting that it's devolving into a casual shopping guide that in this case could easily have missed the OP's aim isn't odd; it's pertinent. While most of us can't understand the compulsion behind high post counts with little functional grasp of the actual workings, it's hardly odd to question their relevance.

I say this, of course, fully aware that it doesn't smooth feathers, but it could just serve the objective purpose, regardless where it leads. Brand positivity isn't the point, and I can't imagine this being controversial or odd.
So you've heard Emotivas vs your product?

Nobody was bashing your product, quite the opposite.

Zorba is a customer of yours, paid money to purchase your product and likes your product yet you dismiss his opinion on the comparison of Chane/Emotiva center channel performance in his home as not relevant.

Your defensiveness is very odd in my opinion.

You can choose to disagree.

Geoff A. J., California
post #18 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Zorba is a customer of yours, paid money to purchase your product
A small correction: Jon graciously sent me an open box A2.4 free of charge since I had often lamented that they were out of stock at the time I needed to buy a center speaker many months before.

He is obviously very passionate about his speakers, and considering their excellent value, cannot be blamed for it.

Me, I'm a "science"-free polytheistic happy heathen, lol.
capo4u likes this.

post #19 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
A small correction: Jon graciously sent me an open box A2.4 free of charge since I had often lamented that they were out of stock at the time I needed to buy a center speaker many months before.

He is obviously very passionate about his speakers, and considering their excellent value, cannot be blamed for it.

Me, I'm a "science"-free polytheistic happy heathen, lol.
At least you've heard the two brands.

I often recommend Chanes on AVS using speculation and hearsay.

Geoff A. J., California
post #20 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you've heard Emotivas vs your product?
Not that it's relevant, but we have nothing to do with other product and the reasons are probably obvious. We do have a fair grasp of how things work, however.

Quote:
Nobody was bashing your product, quite the opposite.
Unfounded. I neither thought or said that.

Quote:
Zorba is a customer of yours, paid money to purchase your product and likes your product yet you dismiss his opinion on the comparison of Chane/Emotiva center channel performance in his home as not relevant.

Your defensiveness is very odd in my opinion.
Not defensiveness, asking for clarity and relevance over generalizations and speculations, meaning that the real experience isn't dismissed. (And while you may not accept it some of that last remark is factually also assumption.)

I've clarified the intent a few times, which is relevance and relevance to the original interest. I think you're reading something else into it, which again, is just not relevant.

(With sincere apologies to the OP and to the forum for the bandwidth...)

Chane Music & Cinema
post #21 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Yes.

And forums like this would be dreadfully boring if everyone only recommended stuff they have either owned or heard in person.

It's also important to frame recs as being "here are some good options to look at" rather than "THIS is the one and only way to go" gospel.

The latter still pops up from time to time unfortunately, most recently by fanboys of brands associated with a certain Dr. Toole.
Elihawk, sigpig and gajCA like this.

post #22 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The first and last time ever, I believe, and a decision we labored over for a couple of weeks. Sometimes a real center is worth a thousand words, or something like that.

Quote:
Actually, passionate about preserving objectivity where any good sound goes. I felt the OP was into sound, so...

Quote:
Maybe not equivalently but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

Quote:
I imagine curation is a dicey - and somewhat inexact - science, Geoff. Call it a practice.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #23 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:

I imagine curation is a dicey - and somewhat inexact - science, Geoff. Call it a practice.
No worries Jon, I don't think I ever recall an AVS member commenting on sending back one of your products which is quite a testament.

Geoff A. J., California
post #24 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Op has already made the decision, but I have heard both, and originally looked at the ML LX16's. I wanted something new to replace my KEF Q300 upstairs. My brother has Emotiva B1, and I had listened to the Martin Logan locally. I thought the ML's were a little bright for my taste. Someone recommended I look at Chanes at I picked up a pair of A1.5s. Needless to say i am in love. my wife even likes to listen to musin more and we have about 50 hours in them. I like the Emotivas as well, but they seem a little muddier than the Chanes to my ear. The Chanes are smack dab in the middle of the LX16's on the bright side and the Emotivas.

I like them so much i have considered the towers or 3 A2.4s as LCR to replace my ELACs in basement HT.
zieglj01, sigpig and jwskud like this.

Basement HT 5.1.2 - Marantz 6012, Outlaw 5000 - ELAC Debut F5 Towers, C5 Center, B5 Bookshelves - JTR Captivator 1200XS - BenQ2050a 92" Silver Ticket
Upstairs Living Room, Music 2.1 - Anthem MRX520 - Pair of Chane A1.5's, - SVS SB 2000 - Projekt Debut turntable - LG 55" B8 OLED
Bedroom 2.1 - Denon AVR740h - KEf Q300 Bookshelves - Klipsch R-10SW - TCL 49"
post #25 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, , decided to go full Monty and am ordering a pair of 5.5s and a 2.4 for the center duty next week.

Will be putting up the old Ascend 340s to make room

Very excited.

Will deal with the 6.5 when it comes out!

Zorba922 and jwskud like this.

post #26 of 46 Old 02-12-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Well, , decided to go full Monty and am ordering a pair of 5.5s and a 2.4 for the center duty next week.

Will be putting up the old Ascend 340s to make room
Please don't get rid of the Ascends until you have a chance to AB them side by side...would be very curious as to how that pans out, even though you said these are the originals not the current SE version.
jwskud and mboy like this.

post #27 of 46 Old 02-13-2020, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Yep. Pretty much sold on the Chanes. Thanks guys.

You will be happy. I have 1 x 2.4 and 2 x 5.5 and couldn't be more pleased.
mboy likes this.
post #28 of 46 Old 02-13-2020, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
I hope you enjoy them as much as I have!
mboy likes this.

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; HiVi Swan X3 monitors (laptop)
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3, Nintendo Switch, Sennheiser HDR130 headphones
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 Ultra and Isobar 4; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
post #29 of 46 Old 02-15-2020, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf08 View Post
One option could be to go with the A5.5s and the C2 ...
This is a very interesting prospect the more I think about it.

post #30 of 46 Old 02-15-2020, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is a very interesting prospect the more I think about it.

Well, looks like with tax and shipping the Chance setup is a bit more (factoring in T1, t2 a bit more and since I'm probably going with the C2+ for the center (a6.5 isn't avail and no point in paying all that for a 2.4 then have to replace.)

So, factoring in shipping and tax from Chane, the Emotiva towers (1s or 2s) still in play for now.

Thinking now order c2+ 1st and go from there. Especially since the Ms. approves of the C2+. Still possibility of matching with 5.5s but we'll have to see.

Shame Mike from big shootout doesn't post anymore. He's 45mn from me in SoFlo!

Last edited by mboy; 02-15-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page