Originally Posted by badtlc
I have officially hit the paralysis by analysis wall. I have been searching and researching on this forum for a couple weeks and I just can't make any progress. I have run myself in circles in trying to figure out my path forward. I think I have resolved myself to at least the plan of buying a fully matched 5.0 set of speakers. I have a sub that is more than adequate at this time and will consider future sub upgrades down the road.
I have included a picture of my space below. Here are some key aspects:
- Price $1000 for 5.0 or $1500 for 5.1
- Odd shaped room with a total volume around 5,200 cubic feet (kinda shaped like a cross)
- Movies, sports and music equally (movies can range from quiet night time to loud watching and music is almost always loud)
- My listening spot is directly in front of the TV on the coach which is about 12' from the face of the TV.
- I would like to keep the center and surrounds on the smaller side to keep the wife happy and prevent as much protruding out into the room as much as possible so they are less likely to get taking out by the kids throwing crap. The surrounds will need to be mounted up high near the wiring faceplates you can see in the pictures (will this require aiming capability for the mounting method?)
- No preference for bookshelf or towers as long as the final setup will have a clean appearance (able to hide wires in the speaker stands).
- No real brand preference or avoidance. I'm not a Polk, JBL, SVS, etc. fanboy of anyone.
- No specific appearance requirements
- Current receiver is Sony STR-DE898 (DTS, DD, 7.1) but will likely upgrade in the not too distant future (recommendations on this are welcome too)
- Not enough of an audiophile to say if I prefer warm or bright speakers. My music tastes are mainly hard rock but also a decent amount of instrumental music including traditional classical (more strings, percussion and woodwinds rather than brass with a fair amount of grand piano solos)
I need some audio master to set me down the right path so I quit chasing worthless rabbit holes. I greatly appreciate everyone's input.
How much space do you have in that cabinet where the center sits now?
Do you live near any of these folks?
ACCESSORIES 4 LESS*** NEAR ORLANDO FLORIDA
APERION* NEAR PORTLAND OREGON
ASCEND** NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
CHANE TAMPA FLORIDA
CRUTCHFIELD*** CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA
DEEP SEA SOUND SUBS NEAR KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
DIYSOUND GROUP CINCINNATI OHIO
EMOTIVA NEAR NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
HI FI HEAVEN*** GREEN BAY WISONSIN
HSU NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
HTD* NEAR DALLAS TEXAS
JTR NEAR MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN
MONOPRICE NEAR RIVERSIDE CALIFORNIA
MUSIC DIRECT*** CHICAGO ILLINOIS
NHT NEAR SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA
OHM BROOKLYN NEW YORK
PSA NEAR YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
RBH NEAR SALT LAKE CITY UTAH
RHYTHMIK SUBS NEAR AUSTIN TEXAS
RSL* NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
SALK AUDIO PONTIAC MICHIGAN
SATURDAY AUDIO--- CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SEATON SOUND NEAR CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SELAH AUDIO NEAR RALEIGH NORTH CAROLINA
SVS* YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
TEKTON NEAR PROVO UTAH
TYLER ACOUSTICS NEAR LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY
WORLDWIDE STEREO*** NEAR PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA