Help me decide my HT upgrade! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By electronjunkie
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 1 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Help me decide my HT upgrade!

For movies and games only. Budget is $5k. The room is 12x21x9’ and carpeted.

I already have a Denon S940H and V10 Sub (I’m replacing my Cerwin Vega Center, JVC towers and small bookshelfs.

Thinking:
1x 45C 4x 15B

Or

1x 600C 2x 800F 2x 200B

Or

1x 600C 4x 200B +second V10 or new Denon X3600/4500

Or

Monitor SE series Second V10 and Denon X3600/4500

I know I’m all over the place so thanks for your patience!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91243F95-6594-4868-9B84-A3754421D99B_1581560645490.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	2684256  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
What brand of speaker are we talking about here mate?
post #3 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 2098
@gyotar, where are you located? Can you demo some nearby subs with any a/v store or other AVS members? I would opt to more subs in that room. Is your room sealed? Would think a couple of sealed 15's would do wonders in your room for movies and games. AS with what @GIEGAR asked, what speakers are you using to gauge as a reference? They are your ears, and if the speakers sound great.....bigger subs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
What brand of speaker are we talking about here mate?
Paradigms
GIEGAR likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@gyotar, where are you located? Can you demo some nearby subs with any a/v store or other AVS members? I would opt to more subs in that room. Is your room sealed? Would think a couple of sealed 15's would do wonders in your room for movies and games. AS with what @GIEGAR asked, what speakers are you using to gauge as a reference? They are your ears, and if the speakers sound great.....bigger subs!
I’m located in Fort McMurray, AB. There’s a couple stores I can check out that are paradigm and Klipsch dealers.

The room isn’t sealed, it’s open to a hallway.

The speakers are some cheapies I bought about 20 years ago. They sound okay, but only because I’ve listened to them for 20 years lol.
CerwinVega HT-MDC Center
JVC SP-7500(C) Tower Fronts
JVC SP-XS75(C) Surround Satellites

Judging by how much I paid at the time, I’m thinking the Monitor SE series is already a step up from my current setup. It was already a toss up between Monitor and Premiere, but the local sales guy mentioned I should entertain bookshelves instead of towers, which opened the door for looking at the Prestige’s

I haven’t had a chance to go demo in store, but I will on Friday. Luckily they have every speaker I’ve listed so I can try them all, except for subs. The higher Paradigm subs are just too much for what they are.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyotar View Post
I’m located in Fort McMurray, AB. There’s a couple stores I can check out that are paradigm and Klipsch dealers.

The room isn’t sealed, it’s open to a hallway.

The speakers are some cheapies I bought about 20 years ago. They sound okay, but only because I’ve listened to them for 20 years lol.
CerwinVega HT-MDC Center
JVC SP-7500(C) Tower Fronts
JVC SP-XS75(C) Surround Satellites

Judging by how much I paid at the time, I’m thinking the Monitor SE series is already a step up from my current setup. It was already a toss up between Monitor and Premiere, but the local sales guy mentioned I should entertain bookshelves instead of towers, which opened the door for looking at the Prestige’s

I haven’t had a chance to go demo in store, but I will on Friday. Luckily they have every speaker I’ve listed so I can try them all, except for subs. The higher Paradigm subs are just too much for what they are.
It's great that you can demo all three lines of those Paradigm speakers. Especially, since you're up in Fort Mc.

As for subwoofers, you will get a lot more bang for your buck with the Internet Direct (ID) subs out there.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
For movies and games only. Budget is $5k. The room is 12x21x9’ and carpeted.

I already have a Denon S940H and V10 Sub (I’m replacing my Cerwin Vega Center, JVC towers and small bookshelfs.

Thinking:
1x 45C 4x 15B

Or

1x 600C 2x 800F 2x 200B

Or

Or

I know I’m all over the place so thanks for your patience!
Whats your seating distance? Are you dead set on towers or are bookshelf speakers an option? For your budget, you could go with any one of these: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2Dual.html and http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/speakerpkg.html - even though it's in USD, it'll still be well under your budget, and you'd be getting a really good set of speakers + pair of subs.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 (Pending: Marantz SR6014) | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R
post #8 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 136
maybe some acoustic treatments?
post #9 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Quote:
For movies and games only. Budget is $5k. The room is 12x21x9’️ and carpeted.

I already have a Denon S940H and V10 Sub (I’️m replacing my Cerwin Vega Center, JVC towers and small bookshelfs.

Thinking:
1x 45C 4x 15B

Or

1x 600C 2x 800F 2x 200B

Or

Or

I know I’️m all over the place so thanks for your patience!
Whats your seating distance? Are you dead set on towers or are bookshelf speakers an option? For your budget, you could go with any one of these: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2Dual.html and http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/speakerpkg.html - even though it's in USD, it'll still be well under your budget, and you'd be getting a really good set of speakers + pair of subs.
Seating distance is 8-9’ and I’m not set on towers, but I would like to stick with paradigm as the dealer in town has them (and Klipsch) all in stock for demo.

Premier line seems to be the favourite so far. 800F fronts or all four 200Bs + a sub.

My concern with prestige is that my s940h might not be up to driving them and I’d have no budget to upgrade it.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 179
If I was selecting for myself based on movies and games only I would look strictly at high efficiency/high volume "theater" type speakers with horn loaded compression drivers that are easy to drive. You can't go wrong with PSA's, Seaton's, or DIYSG, or even some of the really efficient Klipsch's.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Seating distance is 8-9’ and I’m not set on towers, but I would like to stick with paradigm as the dealer in town has them (and Klipsch) all in stock for demo.

Premier line seems to be the favourite so far. 800F fronts or all four 200Bs + a sub.

My concern with prestige is that my s940h might not be up to driving them and I’d have no budget to upgrade it.
At that distance, if it were me I'd do your listed option #3 : 1x 600C 4x 200B +second V10 or new Denon X3600/4500 - you could probably do both the second V10 + whatever Denon AVR of those two is the least expensive.
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 (Pending: Marantz SR6014) | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 02-13-2020 at 10:39 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Quote:

Why's that? I bet your dealer would love you to believe that high quality speakers "deserve" more expensive electronics, but that's an argument based on emotional nonsense. Speaker quality/price and larger physical size have got nothing to with how difficult they are to drive. Look at the specifications only. Across the Prestige and Premier ranges; all are around 90dB anechoic sensitivity for towers and centres and all are "compatible with 8 ohms", according to Paradigm. (Of the speakers mentioned, the 200B's are actually the hardest to drive, requiring double the input power of the 85F's to play at any given level.)

There's nothing to indicate your current Denon would have any trouble driving any of these speakers, including the Prestiges, to very loud levels at your 8 - 9ft distance, particularly when crossed over to subs.

My advice is to get the best LCR speakers and sub you can possibly afford now and worry about upgrading your AVR down the track when finances permit.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Why's that? I bet your dealer would love you to believe that high quality speakers "deserve" more expensive electronics, but that's an argument based on emotional nonsense. Speaker quality/price and larger physical size have got nothing to with how difficult they are to drive. Look at the specifications only. Across the Prestige and Premier ranges; all are around 90dB anechoic sensitivity for towers and centres and all are "compatible with 8 ohms", according to Paradigm. (Of the speakers mentioned, the 200B's are actually the hardest to drive, requiring double the input power of the 85F's to play at any given level.)

There's nothing to indicate your current Denon would have any trouble driving any of these speakers, including the Prestiges, to very loud levels at your 8 - 9ft distance, particularly when crossed over to subs.

My advice is to get the best LCR speakers and sub you can possibly afford now and worry about upgrading your AVR down the track when finances permit.[/QUOTE]

Hmm food for thought! Thanks.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8023 Post(s)
Liked: 6133
Quote:
In that case, I'd ask them to let you take home a demo pair for the weekend...many dealers will do that if you leave them your credit card info as a security deposit. There is no substitute for an in-home audition using YOUR electronics, with YOUR specific room acoustics, listening to YOUR content, and for a several-hours period of listening.

At 8-9' feet there is zero need for towers unless you are a volume freak, other than a strong visual preference for them if you have that.
Ryan Statz likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page