Help Choosing In-wall and Atmos Speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-13-2020, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Help Choosing In-wall and Atmos Speakers

I am in the process of completing my 7.4.4 home theater and need some help choosing the surround and atmos speakers. My LCR speakers are RBH R55Ti Towers with R5Ci Center channel. Unfortunately, RBH does not sell online so I am having a difficult time deciding on what to use for the rest of the theater.

I am thinking about the RSL C34E Ceiling speakers x 4 for atmos but definitely open to any suggestions. I just hear good things about them but realize they may not match my current LCR speakers well.

For surround speakers, I found a good deal on Klipsch PRO-6650-W speakers but have not been able to find reviews on them. I would like to stay around $100 per speaker but if there is something a little more expensive that would work better I am definitely open to suggestions. Also, thin on-wall speakers would be ok as well.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

Last edited by Sauwill; 02-13-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-13-2020, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have read a lot about those RSL C34E and I was considering them at one point. The only negative that I could see is that they require a large cutout. Here's a review of them:
https://hometheaterreview.com/rsl-c3...aker-reviewed/

The schools of thought about timbre matching the heights to the rest of the system are divided. Some people think it matters, some don't. I haven't come across anything that is definitive either way. I do remember reading a post lately wherein the author thought when he changed to a different speaker that didn't match he actually started to enjoy his system more than when they did match. I wish I could remember where it was.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2020, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I used four c34e’s and love them. IMO, the cutout isn’t so much larger than most IC speakers that they look bad. Highly recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-14-2020, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrythm1k View Post
I used four c34e’s and love them. IMO, the cutout isn’t so much larger than most IC speakers that they look bad. Highly recommended.

Yeah that seems to be the general consensus. Everyone seems to really like them and for the price will probably be the best I can get.

As for surrounds, here are some others around the same price range.

1. Klipsch PRO-6650-W
2. Polk Audio RC85i
3. ELAC Debut 2.0 OW4.2 On-Wall Speakers
4. MartinLogan ML-65 or ML65i (Not sure of the difference) Rectangular In-Wall
5. Monoprice? Seems to be many at or below my price range but a little leery.

Any thoughts on the above or have another suggestion? Thanks!
post #5 of 5 Old 02-14-2020, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauwill View Post
Yeah that seems to be the general consensus. Everyone seems to really like them and for the price will probably be the best I can get.

As for surrounds, here are some others around the same price range.

1. Klipsch PRO-6650-W
2. Polk Audio RC85i
3. ELAC Debut 2.0 OW4.2 On-Wall Speakers
4. MartinLogan ML-65 or ML65i (Not sure of the difference) Rectangular In-Wall
5. Monoprice? Seems to be many at or below my price range but a little leery.

Any thoughts on the above or have another suggestion? Thanks!

Well you could use another pair of RSL’s. No reason they HAVE to be rectangular. I tried mine as a LR pair before installing them. Excellent. I also have a pair of the RC85i that you mentioned, in an IC installation in a special room of the house. For the money especially, they’re pretty darn good. FWIW, rsl does make a more regular IW speaker but can’t speakers to its performance, although I believe they’d be fairly well timber matched, if that matters to you. You should call and talk to Joe Rodgers about that. He’s a great human being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page