First HT System recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By JonfromCB
  • 4 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By Alan P
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 6
First HT System recommendations

Just bought a house and am extremely excited that I can finally customize my living room with home theatre speakers! Located in Australia. Living room is approx 14ft x 14ft and 8ft ceilings, all tiled floors. Listening distance will be about 10ft away. Its not a seperate room and its quite open. Theres 3 walls with the back wall being open to the front door as you walk in, if you know what i mean. I wil Be watching on a 55" oled and plan to upgrade within 1-2 years to at least a 75" tv.

Ive had a few HTIB and soundbars, but my SJ9 LG soundbar just won't cut it i think. I want the full surround sound experience. My budget is absolute max $5K AUD including all cables, mounts, stands, avr and speakers etc.

I can ceiling mount atmos speakers and am looking at a 5.1.2 set up. It seems floor standing speakers will just be too expensive, especially if i want 5.1.2. Thinking bookshelves with maybe satellites as surrounds could be reasonable. Id love like a 7.1.2 or a 5.1.4 set up, but not sure if my budget would make it decent.

Would appreciate all recommendations for AVR receiver and speakers! Hopefully I can now fully enjoy the quality of my OLED and 4K UHD blurays with amazing sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I may not give you the recommendations and advice regarding specific equipment that you are asking for but here is some learned advice....take your time and don't rush. Narrow down your speaker choices and listen and compare a few in your listening space with your power/amp equipment. Since 75 to 80% of surround content comes from the center channel, I recommend you start by finding a center speaker you love and then choose your L/R fronts instead of the other way around. In my opinion, aside from the center channel, two or more "good" subs are the single most underrated foundation of a good surround system. Make a budget, make a plan and systematically get after it. Be patient, enjoy the process and you'll be much happier with the final outcome. Good Luck.
RayGuy and SaskCanesFan like this.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7976 Post(s)
Liked: 6086
Quote:
Originally Posted by cv15xbmc View Post
Just bought a house and am extremely excited that I can finally customize my living room with home theatre speakers! Located in Australia. Living room is approx 14ft x 14ft and 8ft ceilings, all tiled floors. Listening distance will be about 10ft away. Its not a seperate room and its quite open. Theres 3 walls with the back wall being open to the front door as you walk in, if you know what i mean. I wil Be watching on a 55" oled and plan to upgrade within 1-2 years to at least a 75" tv.

Ive had a few HTIB and soundbars, but my SJ9 LG soundbar just won't cut it i think. I want the full surround sound experience. My budget is absolute max $5K AUD including all cables, mounts, stands, avr and speakers etc.

I can ceiling mount atmos speakers and am looking at a 5.1.2 set up. It seems floor standing speakers will just be too expensive, especially if i want 5.1.2. Thinking bookshelves with maybe satellites as surrounds could be reasonable. Id love like a 7.1.2 or a 5.1.4 set up, but not sure if my budget would make it decent.

Would appreciate all recommendations for AVR receiver and speakers! Hopefully I can now fully enjoy the quality of my OLED and 4K UHD blurays with amazing sound.
Towers are a luxury not a necessity so you're on the right path. Just make sure you budget for 1-2 robust subs given the big open place.

Unfortunately, Australia audio prices are crazy high and selection is small, so provide some available options and we can weigh in.

General BUDGETING/PLANNING points for newbies (numbers are for US/Canada consumers so not sure how applicable it is to Aus):

1. Be careful to avoid the common newbie blunder of overspending on the receiver. I would not spend more than $300-400 on it, since it has a relatively minor effect on the overall SQ.

2. The second most common newbie mistake is wasting money on towers while underspending on the subwoofer; the large majority of HT systems are best served with bookshelf speakers up front with a muscular subwoofer (or two) behind them doing all the heavy lifting and taking a huge load off the receiver as well.

Make sure you budget for an adequate subwoofer if HT is your main usage *and* if you frequently watch action/thriller movies that have tons of low frequency effects (LFE)...particularly if you have a big space (be sure to include all adjacent open areas, not just the listening area).

3. Rough budget allocation I'd recommend: 20% receiver, 40-50% subwoofer(s), 30-40% speakers (mainly the front 3, especially the essential center speaker which does 80% of the output; surrounds can always be added later if budget is tight).

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
See if any of these are available to you in Australia ...

https://www.whathifi.com/us/best-buy...eaker-packages

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Liked: 6469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
2. The second most common newbie mistake is wasting money on towers while underspending on the subwoofer; the large majority of HT systems are best served with bookshelf speakers up front with a muscular subwoofer (or two) behind them doing all the heavy lifting and taking a huge load off the receiver as well.
Just want the OP to know that Zorba922 did not mean literally behind the speakers.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9667 Post(s)
Liked: 6702
Quote:

Krix is a well regarded Australian speaker company.
sigpig likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
best bet is to find speaker brands, maybe check my sig, and look locally. i really doubt this forum will have much help for Australia. Prices are incredibly different and I doubt anyone here can even remotely guess. Surely there are audio stores near by as well.

But general advice around here:

Klipsch is a safe bet. V shape audio signature most will enjoy.

Most say invest 50% of audio hardware budget into the subwoofer. I'd say 35% is more accurate and not going overboard.

Don't over spend on your AVR.

Copper cables are whatever. Don't get expensive ones.

good speaker brands: Revel, Power Sound Audio (PSA), Ascend, KEF, Emotiva, JBL, Tekton, SVS, Definitive Technoogy (DefTech), Paradigm, MartinLogan, Bowers & Logan, Klipsch (safe V shaped audio).

good subwoofer brands: HSU, SVS, Rythmiks, PSA, Outlaw
post #8 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Those posts have actually been so helpful. Gives me a base to work around. And yes, unfortunately Australias prices are very high and selection is not great.

Quick couple of questions. Could I get away with some satellite speakers as rear/surrounds? I dont want to spend too much money on rear speakers.

For in ceiling speakers, does it matter how much I spend? Generally they are pretty cheap for 6.5" speakers.

In regards to Subs, would it be better (for example) to get something like 2x PB1000 or 1x PB2000?

Thanks so much.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Awesome! Those posts have actually been so helpful. Gives me a base to work around. And yes, unfortunately Australias prices are very high and selection is not great.

Quick couple of questions. Could I get away with some satellite speakers as rear/surrounds? I dont want to spend too much money on rear speakers.

For in ceiling speakers, does it matter how much I spend? Generally they are pretty cheap for 6.5" speakers.

In regards to Subs, would it be better (for example) to get something like 2x PB1000 or 1x PB2000?

Thanks so much.
If I go Atmos I'm just going with some relatively inexpensive Polk 6.5" in ceilings.

Two smaller quality subs are better in virtually every way than a single quality sub unless space is super tight where only one will really fit.

Denon makes great receivers but Yamaha and Sony do as well.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Could I get away with some satellite speakers as rear/surrounds? I dont want to spend too much money on rear speakers.

Yes, you can definitely go cheap on the surrounds and in-ceilings. I wouldn't spend more than $100 apiece on them personally...maybe less depending on what's available there.

2 x PB1000 would be better than 1 x PB2000, yes.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #11 of 22 Old 02-16-2020, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Cool, thanks.

So I've been looking around and have narrowed down some options based on my budget.

Bookshelves, surround and centre:
Cheapest option:
Jamo S 803, 801 & 83 Cen speakers

Mid Range Option:
Wharfedale Diamond 11.2, 11.1 & 11.CC
Q Acoustics 3020i x2 & 3090ci

Little bit more expensive:
SVS Prime Satelite x5

I will be getting Klipsch R-1650-C as in ceiling overheads for atmos as they are relatively cheap and readily available. Im having trouble choosing a sub or subs.

Real cheap option (almost half the price of the top options):
Jamo S 810
Wharfedale SW-150

Mid-high range options:
Velodyne Impact 12
Velodyne EQ-MAX8
KEF Kube 8b
Sunfire SDS 10
Wharfedale SW-10

Top options:
Wharfedale SW-12
Klipsch R-110SW
Velodyne EQ-MAX10
Sunfire SDS 12
SVS PB1000

A lot of options, but part of me wants to get the cheaper subs because i could get 2 for almost the price of 1 top option.

Any thoughts or opinions would great!
post #12 of 22 Old 02-16-2020, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 270
In many cases...buy cheap get cheap and wind up spending double for the initial desire...rings true especially in the mains and subwoofer areas.
Surrounds and ceiling speakers are "fill", they complete the sound field and the sound generally lasts for mere seconds.

Start by reading and learning...google reviews for the speakers you are interested in and start reading them. Also use valuable forums for impressions from others on the kit you are thinking about.

If Movies, etc are the main entertainment then I also agree with buying the best center you can afford. You can buy perhaps a less expensive set of bookshelves for fronts with the long term of moving them to surrounds when you can afford fronts similar to the center.

Put together a usb flash drive/cd/et of your favorite songs on lossless and mp3, just 10ish songs, and go audition speakers to get an idea on what your ears prefer...some prefer a brighter speaker, while others not so much...remember your ears will "adjust" in general and just a bit to what you are hearing. Speakers that sound harsh to your ears will always sound harsh.

You get the most bang for your buck with the avr...as new tech is available older devices get dramatically discounted and as Zorba says you can get a lot of avr for $300ish.

Best advice...don't be in a hurry, take your time, read, learn, audition and buy wisely especially with the key bits of kit.
Good luck and keep us informed.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #13 of 22 Old 02-16-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Bookshelves, surround and centre:
Cheapest option:
Jamo S 803, 801 & 83 Cen speakers

Mid Range Option:
Wharfedale Diamond 11.2, 11.1 & 11.CC
Q Acoustics 3020i x2 & 3090ci

Little bit more expensive:
SVS Prime Satelite x5

I will be getting Klipsch R-1650-C as in ceiling overheads for atmos as they are relatively cheap and readily available. Im having trouble choosing a sub or subs.

SVS PB1000
Do NOT cheap out on the sub! That PB1000 is the only decent sub for HT in your whole list. Forget the others.

The SVS Sats though are junk compared to real bookshelves...god help you if you *ever* listen to music through them.

The QA speakers would be your safest choice but I'd skip their mediocre center and just buy a second pair of the 3020i to use the 3rd speaker as the center. Especially if you have enough room to have it vertical, in line with the L/R speakers as in the photos below. Ditto with the Wharfedale...these are smoother and warmer than the QA so they'd be great for music, but for HT people usually like a more neutral or even borderline "bright" speaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center speaker identical bookshelves.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	2685648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center speaker - using a vertical bookshelf.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	2685650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bookshelf as Center and in vertical configuration.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	2685652  
SaskCanesFan likes this.

post #14 of 22 Old 02-16-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Cool, thanks.

Any thoughts or opinions would great!
Wharfedale or Q Acoustics for the speakers; buy the matching center as the vast majority of owners of those speakers are very happy with the matching center.

Believe it or not one AVS member preferred this subwoofer to the SVS Pb12 which is a superior subwoofer to the PB1000 so might be worth considering.

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/col...d-black-walnut

Another option is two of these.

I have two of the smaller version in my secondary room and they hit their stated frequency response so these should be that much better.

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/col...amaha-ns-sw100

Geoff A. J., California
post #15 of 22 Old 02-16-2020, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your inputs.

One of my local electronic stores has the Jamo S 807 pack discounted about 60% of normal price for their display model. 60%!!! As nobody does HT speakers anymore, theyre trying to get rid of their old stock.

Don't know if its worth considering and then just upgrading to another really decent sub and calling it a day. That whole pack is about the same price as an SVS PB1000 haha.
post #16 of 22 Old 02-16-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all your inputs.

One of my local electronic stores has the Jamo S 807 pack discounted about 60% of normal price for their display model. 60%!!! As nobody does HT speakers anymore, theyre trying to get rid of their old stock.

Don't know if its worth considering and then just upgrading to another really decent sub and calling it a day. That whole pack is about the same price as an SVS PB1000 haha.
For a first Home Theater that would be a solid choice IMHO.

Your first system will not be your last so I say go for it.

Geoff A. J., California
post #17 of 22 Old 02-16-2020, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Do NOT cheap out on the sub! That PB1000 is the only decent sub for HT in your whole list. Forget the others.

The SVS Sats though are junk compared to real bookshelves...god help you if you *ever* listen to music through them.

The QA speakers would be your safest choice but I'd skip their mediocre center and just buy a second pair of the 3020i to use the 3rd speaker as the center. Especially if you have enough room to have it vertical, in line with the L/R speakers as in the photos below. Ditto with the Wharfedale...these are smoother and warmer than the QA so they'd be great for music, but for HT people usually like a more neutral or even borderline "bright" speaker.
x2 on not cheaping out on the sub. I was in the OP's position about 2 months ago, having never had a "true" HT system before, though I had been kinda planning it for a long time. I spent more on the sub than on the rest of the speakers combined, and don't regret it for a second. In fact, its the only part of the system I've already wondered about upgrading . Now, I'm not what anyone would confuse for an audiophile, but I'm very happy with what I've got an have definitely found bass more addictive than anything else.

TV: 65" LG E6 OLED
Receiver: Denon AVR-X3600H
Speakers: Polk RTiA5 fronts, CSiA6 centre, RTiA1 surrounds
Sub: SVS PB-3000
Sony UBP-X800, Xbox One X
post #18 of 22 Old 02-16-2020, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCanesFan View Post
I spent more on the sub than on the rest of the speakers combined, and don't regret it for a second. In fact, its the only part of the system I've already wondered about upgrading .
Nnnnnnnnnno! *slaps your hand*

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R
post #19 of 22 Old 02-16-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Nnnnnnnnnno! *slaps your hand*
Eh, I don't see why not

I'm getting everything I need out of the speakers. And the sub so far too, to be honest. But could always go for some more low end extension. At the very least going dual will be the next purchase

post #20 of 22 Old 02-16-2020, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCanesFan View Post
Eh, I don't see why not

I'm getting everything I need out of the speakers. And the sub so far too, to be honest. But could always go for some more low end extension. At the very least going dual will be the next purchase
Go dual PB-3000, and be done with it for a long time

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R
post #21 of 22 Old 02-16-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Go dual PB-3000, and be done with it for a long time
I think when I get a house with a dedicated room I'll be ending up with 4 of them and a MiniDSP 2x4HD

Have already looked at PB4000, Monolith 15 and Rythmic FV18 instead, but I think with enough PB3000 in an enclosed room and the ability to run them in sealed that I should be good. My god the subwoofer forum is an awful place to spend time in

post #22 of 22 Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quick couple of questions:

Does quality of speaker cable matter?

And does quality of banana plugs matter?

The prices of both of those products vary greatly from brand to brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page