Opinions for converting speakers to wireless. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 2 Post By mraub

post #1 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question Opinions for converting speakers to wireless.

Hello AV enthusiasts

I have upgrade my receiver to the Pioneer SC-LX901 and I am about to install front and back height speakers for Dolby Atmos 7.2.4. setup.
Unfortunately I cannot run any more wires through the in wall conduits and I would like to have your opinion and the best solution to convert my speakers to wireless.
The speakers I will use will be orb audio mod2 for both front height and back height.

Any opinions and a suggestion for a solution will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Unfortunately I don't see how this could be done. The Orb's are passive speakers and even if you could get a signal to them wirelessly, you'd still need a amplifier of some type, which would require a power connection. I would have liked to have done the same thing in a recent setup but ultimately cut enough holes in the drywall to fish some speaker wire. I've got a painter who has a magic touch in fixing drywall, so for a few hundred bucks I got the wiring done and the drywall patched.

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #3 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3197 Post(s)
Liked: 3006
Avoid wireless, if you can. Use in-wall wire, or a wire channel (raceway), or flat wire that you can paint over, or run the wire through crown molding .... be creative!
leecreek likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-15-2020, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your answers.
Unfortunately there is no way to run speaker wire for front and back height speakers....
There is also no option for using dolby atmos enabled speakers since there is a balcony above the home theater room and the ceiling is high up.....

I can only run speaker wire on the sides.....

The side speakers for atmos can be put high on the side walls as per the illustration below and point slightly to the viewer's seating position:

Any thoughts about this setup ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SpeakerSetup.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	2685250  
post #5 of 14 Old 02-15-2020, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1859
It's going to be clunky.

There are a number of wireless signal adapters out there, but you'd also need amplifiers to power the speakers. I know of one integrated package: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketf...?skuId=6254098 It's a stereo system, which means that you'd either need to run wires from it to both rear speakers, or buy 2 of them.

Alternately, you could lose the Orbs for the rears and replace them with small powered speakers. You could then just use wireless adapters that only send the signal.

With the constraints you have set yourself, maybe 7.1.2 Atmos would be the most practical choice. Or lose the Atmos speakers altogether: buy a new AVR that supports Dolby height virtualization and DTS Virtual:X. I haven't heard either, but it's supposed to be surprisingly effective.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-15-2020, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 396
We get this question on a weekly basis.

The only way to “convert a speaker to wireless” is to install a receiver and amplifier inside the box.

Since that obviously isn’t going to happen, what’s typically done is a wireless transmitter/ receiver system with outboard amplifiers.

Typically once people realize what wireless is going to cost them, that’s the last we hear of it. Here are a few recent threads.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...surrounds.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/109-h...system-tv.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...em-puzzle.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...-speakers.html

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles

Last edited by Wayne A. Pflughaupt; 02-16-2020 at 07:56 AM.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-15-2020, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all of you for your replies.

It is not about cost, I would like to know about the quality more for a wireless speaker setup.

I am aware of the various kits but wondering whether anyone has tested them and the sound quality is good.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-16-2020, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 136
This set gets very good reviews and they have kit devices as well.
https://www.paradigm.com/en/overview...ireless-series
post #9 of 14 Old 02-16-2020, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’ve never seen a review on any wireless system, except one Sound and Vision did a number of years back on Bang & Olufsen’s megabuck WiSA system. Your best bet is probably reading through Amazon user reviews for any product you’re interested in.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List

post #10 of 14 Old 02-16-2020, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYK48 View Post
Thanks all of you for your replies.

It is not about cost, I would like to know about the quality more for a wireless speaker setup.

I am aware of the various kits but wondering whether anyone has tested them and the sound quality is good.
If you don't care about cost, you could buy powered speakers and wireless transmitter/receiver pairs.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-16-2020, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I can do that with the powered speakers but I can do also with the passive orbs. I have the option to power the receiver with an amplifier at the back.
I just wanted to hear from people that have used a wireless transceiver/receiver for wireless audio whether the sound is good, there are no drop-outs etc....

I have read the Wayne's post about wireless audio and after that I am a bit worried about the sound quality.....
post #12 of 14 Old 02-17-2020, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 62
In my view if the area where you want to put speakers is covered in drywall there's always a way to get a wire to where you want. The only question is how much of a mess you are willing to make to do so. If you don't want to tear out a bunch of drywall you might try this ultra flat speaker wire:

https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Adhesiv...59285087&psc=1

I doubt you can just stick it on the wall and paint it to make it virtually invisible. Covering it with a coat of drywall mud put on with something like a 16" knife and repainting ought to make it essentially invisible.

Quote:
Thanks for your answers.
Unfortunately there is no way to run speaker wire for front and back height speakers....
There is also no option for using dolby atmos enabled speakers since there is a balcony above the home theater room and the ceiling is high up.....

I can only run speaker wire on the sides.....

The side speakers for atmos can be put high on the side walls as per the illustration below and point slightly to the viewer's seating position:

Any thoughts about this setup ??

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #13 of 14 Old 02-17-2020, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I can do that with the powered speakers but I can do also with the passive orbs. I have the option to power the receiver with an amplifier at the back.
I just wanted to hear from people that have used a wireless transceiver/receiver for wireless audio whether the sound is good, there are no drop-outs etc....

I have read the Wayne's post about wireless audio and after that I am a bit worried about the sound quality.....
The only use of a wireless transmitter/receiver set I have used was an Outlaw OAW4 used with a subwoofer. I had to play with the channels a bit (it has 4) to avoid dropouts, presumably due to interference with other 2.4 GHz devices.

Incidentally, it added something less than 20 ms of latency (delay). Latency is a concern when adding wireless speakers.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-17-2020, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn’t worry too much about sound quality, as long as you’re dealing with the surround / back-channel speakers. The main issue would be added noise, but unless you’re using super-efficient speakers that shouldn’t be an issue. The main concern is reliability of the wireless delivery, that is no drop-outs, random static or other noise.

Push come to shove, if you can’t find a Bluetooth system that’s reliable (pay attention to the Amazon user reviews), there are pro audio solutions that should be bulletproof in a residential environment.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
dolby atmos , wireless speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page