Looking for in-ceiling speaker recommendation for home theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Spectah

post #1 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for in-ceiling speaker recommendation for home theater

I am moving into a house. The house has in ceiling speakers. I want to replace them with 5 in-ceiling speakers for home theater and music. I will say 90% time home theater. Can I get some recommendations on what brand of speakers will be good? I have been researching and have found ML Vanquish, PSB C-LCR, Focal 100ICLCR speakers. Do I really need those 3 drivers large speakers in ceiling?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9698 Post(s)
Liked: 6724
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidyut View Post
I am moving into a house. The house has in ceiling speakers. I want to replace them with 5 in-ceiling speakers for home theater and music. I will say 90% time home theater. Can I get some recommendations on what brand of speakers will be good? I have been researching and have found ML Vanquish, PSB C-LCR, Focal 100ICLCR speakers. Do I really need those 3 drivers large speakers in ceiling?

Thanks
If you must have in ceilings can you at least place an on wall center speaker to lock dialogue to the screen vs having the sound come down from above?

While I love the Martin Logan folded motion tweeter in my LX16s I would never pay $1600 EACH for the Martin Logan in ceilings you listed.
Spectah likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply.

Aren't the angled speakers bring the soundstage lower from the ceiling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9698 Post(s)
Liked: 6724
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Aren't the angled speakers bring the soundstage lower from the ceiling?
They are definitely an improvement over down firing but I have a hard time imagining they would anchor the sound to the screen as well as an on wall center near the TV screen unless you were sitting at least 15 feet from the screen.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 03:59 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 778
The (only) nice thing about in-ceiling speakers is you can convert them to Atmos channels. I've experienced quality in-ceiling 5.1, I wasn't impressed. All the sound comes from overhead.

Yamaha A-S1000 - Salk Song Towers - HTPC (Linux) - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 (WWG1WGA) --- Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #6 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 70
In ceiling rears is surrounds can work with the right placement (and they’re used so infrequently the positioning does not detract from the sound.)

I agree you want better dispersion for your fronts, at a minimum your center channel.
yanks1 likes this.

Main 7.1 HT: Dali Zensor (7s, Vokal, and 1s), Emotiva E2s, HSU ULS-15 MK2, Emotiva BasX preamp/amps (MC-700, A-300, A-500)
Kid’s 5.1 HT: Dali Oberon (5s, Vokal), RSL C34Es, HSU VTF-2 MK5, Denon X2400H
7-Zone CCA/Spotify WHA: Paradigm (E-80Rs x6, P-80SM), Def Tech AW6500s, Polk MC-80, Emotiva BasX amps (A-700, A-500), FiiO D3 DACs
post #7 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2971 Post(s)
Liked: 1949
Quote:
Lot of good speakers out there, for an all in-ceiling set up, check out Triad. Any chance you'd be willing to abandon the in-ceilings, at least for the front stage and go with something more ear-level?

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #8 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7995 Post(s)
Liked: 6100
Quote:
90% HT with 100% in-ceiling speakers, you might as well do these---won't make any difference:
https://www.amazon.com/Micca-Referen...p/B008QQ9SB2/r

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page