Initial Impressions of the Emotiva T2 Towers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 5 Post By fromplasmato
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By D33vious
  • 1 Post By Boombox13
  • 1 Post By jpw545

post #1 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks, at Zorba’s encouragement I’ll post my initial impressions of the T2 towers.

Packaging: adequate but not as thorough as others I’ve seen. The grills were floating around. Not sure if they scratched the cabinets or not. One speaker came with a S/N, the other without a S/N, instead there was a green dot close to the area where the S/N should be.

Fit and finish: prettttty prettttty... decent. I expected worse. They look beefy and the cabinet has a nice black leathery texture. I wouldn’t put these in a living room; these aren’t furniture pieces like say LSiMs but I like the way they look for a listening room/basement.

Listening impressions: keep in mind I’ve just unboxed them and have had them on for about 45min total. These are my first folded ribbon tweeters. And they’re awesome. Very smooth, and zero harshness. These are the first set of speakers in a while which I haven’t really had to turn treble down with.
Bass. So maybe I had unrealistic expectations but I’m a expected better low end from dual 8”. Running these “large” was a bit disappointing for me. Again, my reference are my LSiM707s and these just don’t provide even remotely as much low end. So I connected my little SB12 and continued running them “small” for then onward.
I’m also not sure if this is due to lack of break in, but I feel like things are bit dull in the midrange. And I’m just not hearing as much separation as I’d like. Everything sounds fine, but I feel like I’m missing the layering I get with the LSiMs.

With regard to imaging and soundstage, things seem to be ok. I think I’m dealing with a very difficult space. Wide basement with lots of folding walls, asymmetrical openings etc. in additional to hard floors.

I’ll add more thoughts to this thread as I continue to listen.

Of course, take this with many a grain of salt- as I’m sure you can tell from my review I’m not a trained musician or even remotely an expert in evaluating speakers. Just a regular guy on a hunt for speakers as dynamic as the LSiMs but without the harshness.

In the pictures, they’re standing next to the Definitive Technology 9060s. I’ll provide my impression of the A/B comparison between the the two speakers a little later. They’re just very different beasts entirely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB9908AC-2305-43C4-A20D-7F71202C8489_1581722794089.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2685000   Click image for larger version

Name:	99D9D8A4-C071-4DDE-B40B-E1B2F2224DDE_1581722808589.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	2685002   Click image for larger version

Name:	E1EA81CB-2D3B-430E-8601-E097845BC7B7_1581723363621.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	2685004  
Zorba922, Jonas2, drh3b and 2 others like this.

Last edited by fromplasmato; 02-14-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7973 Post(s)
Liked: 6084
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromplasmato View Post
Listening impressions: keep in mind I’ve just unboxed them and have had them on for about 45min total. These are my first folded ribbon tweeters. And they’re awesome. Very smooth, and zero harshness. These are the first set of speakers in a while which I haven’t really had to turn treble down with.
Bass. So maybe I had unrealistic expectations but I’m a expected better low end from dual 8”. Running these “large” was a bit disappointing for me. Again, my reference are my LSiM707s and these just don’t provide even remotely as much low end. So I connected my little SB12 and continued running them “small” for then onward.
I’m also not sure if this is due to lack of break in, but I feel like things are bit dull in the midrange. And I’m just not hearing as much separation as I’d like. Everything sounds fine, but I feel like I’m missing the layering I get with the LSiMs.
In your second photo, it looks like you have the T2 pretty much flush up against the wall. Please, NEVER ever do that for *any* rear ported speakers! Rear ported speakers will require at least 6-12" of rear clearance, sometimes as much as 18-24" depending on if you're running them full range or crossed over to a sub. Pulling them away from the wall will not only prevent the mid-bass from being boomy, muddy, or muffled, but often will also open up the mids and highs as well.

PS. When you do AB the T2 against your DT towers, make sure to stagger them so that it's (DT)(E) --- (DT)(E) rather than (DT)(E) --- (E)(DT) or (E)(DT) --- (DT)(E). This will ensure that both pairs are equidistant from your main listening position. And of course, use an SPL meter to level match them due to sensitivity/impedance difference.
altpensacola likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 06:29 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 773
I find your comparison of the T2 to the LSiM's interesting. I owned the 705's and 706c up to a few weeks ago when I sold them, locally. The prodigious bass from the 705's was quite amazing, and I found the ring tweeter to be a bit 'rough' as compared to the OW2 tweeter in my Salk Song Towers. I loved the detailed very low bass from the 705's. The Song Towers are about half an octave higher in bass response, but enough for me to keep them over the 705's, and I didn't use a sub for either pair. I never heard any harshness out of the Polk's ring tweeter, it was just not as refined, not as smooth as the ST's OW2 tweeter. At 72yo I have lost an octave or two in the upper reaches of music, I suppose.

Nice review. I've heard the smaller T1's and thought they were a bit dark, not as much punch in the mid or highs as I would have expected from the AMT tweeter, but plenty of bass, but not very refined IMO. A bit disappointing but not surprising for a pair of $499 tower speakers. The ST's and LSiM speakers are on another level than the Airmotiv's.

Yamaha A-S1000 - Salk Song Towers - HTPC (Linux) - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 (WWG1WGA) --- Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2967 Post(s)
Liked: 1939
Quote:
Packaging: adequate but not as thorough as others I’ve seen. The grills were floating around. Not sure if they scratched the cabinets or not. One speaker came with a S/N, the other without a S/N, instead there was a green dot close to the area where the S/N should be.
Hmm. That's odd. Probably not a big deal, but I'd be curious to know why only one speaker has a serial #? Were the grills separately wrapped in plastic or something?

Quote:
Fit and finish: prettttty prettttty... decent. I expected worse. They look beefy and the cabinet has a nice black leathery texture. I wouldn’t put these in a living room; these aren’t furniture pieces like say LSiMs but I like the way they look for a listening room/basement.
Maybe not beauty contest winners - but they you're right - they do look beefy! Quite the presence!

Quote:
I'd expect decent bass from dual 8" as well. There won't in theory be much as far as break-in goes, more so you're becoming used to their sound. It will be interesting to see what your impressions are in a short while from now, especially compared to your other speakers! Do let us know how this plays out!

Quote:
With regard to imaging and soundstage, things seem to be ok. I think I’m dealing with a very difficult space. Wide basement with lots of folding walls, asymmetrical openings etc. in additional to hard floors.
Yeah, none of that helps! I've got similar asymmetry issues that room EQ has really helped with....

Thanks for the review! I do enjoy reading about others' experiences and comparisons.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #5 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:
Listening impressions: keep in mind I’️ve just unboxed them and have had them on for about 45min total. These are my first folded ribbon tweeters. And they’️re awesome. Very smooth, and zero harshness. These are the first set of speakers in a while which I haven’️t really had to turn treble down with.
Bass. So maybe I had unrealistic expectations but I’️m a expected better low end from dual 8”. Running these “large” was a bit disappointing for me. Again, my reference are my LSiM707s and these just don’️t provide even remotely as much low end. So I connected my little SB12 and continued running them “small” for then onward.
I’️m also not sure if this is due to lack of break in, but I feel like things are bit dull in the midrange. And I’️m just not hearing as much separation as I’️d like. Everything sounds fine, but I feel like I’️m missing the layering I get with the LSiMs.
In your second photo, it looks like you have the T2 pretty much flush up against the wall. Please, NEVER ever do that for *any* rear ported speakers! Rear ported speakers will require at least 6-12" of rear clearance, sometimes as much as 18-24" depending on if you're running them full range or crossed over to a sub. Pulling them away from the wall will not only prevent the mid-bass from being boomy, muddy, or muffled, but often will also open up the mids and highs as well.

PS. When you do AB the T2 against your DT towers, make sure to stagger them so that it's (DT)(E) --- (DT)(E) rather than (DT)(E) --- (E)(DT) or (E)(DT) --- (DT)(E). This will ensure that both pairs are equidistant from your main listening position. And of course, use an SPL meter to level match them due to sensitivity/impedance difference.
That’s just Hollywood magic- they’re almost 15” from the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93867834-5DBE-484C-9A9C-355F1EDB0DC8_1581730943804.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	2685030  
post #6 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7973 Post(s)
Liked: 6084
Quote:
That’s just Hollywood magic- they’re almost 15” from the wall.
Oh, wow...Hollywood magic indeed! Must be the color contrast...

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 11 Old 02-15-2020, 08:31 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Hi @fromplasmato ,

Interesting review. Dual 8" woofers should produce some pretty nice bass in that room. They are a 4-Ohms load and recommended power is listed at 100W to 500W. With an Efficiency rating of 91 dB. So their performance can vary largely based on the Amps capabilities. I would call these Speakers Power hungry and power dependant to achieve full performance. Min of 100 watts 4-ohm load is a pretty high starting point compared to the Min Load of the LSiM's. That represents a 5X's power Min demand between the two.

The LSiM 707's are 8-Ohms load, with a 88 dB sensitivity rating. Power recommendations are 20W to 300W. Additionally the LSiM's have their own built in Subs. So the LSiM's have much greater Low Frequency capacity. Even with all the extra Bass firepower these Speakers appear to be an easier load on the Amp versus the 4-Ohms load of the T2's.

If you don't mind, may I ask some questions as to your setup and power source to help me better understand your results and review observations?

Are these the T2 or the T2+ ?

What are you using to drive the Speakers ? (AMP/AVR) What are the power specs on this item? Does the Amp go down to 4-Ohms load and what is the Power rating for 8-Ohms compared to 4-Ohms ?

Did you run any sort of Room Correction like Audyssey on either setup ?

Thank you kindly for the replies and Thanks for posting your observations. I was toying around with placing a set of these outside on my Leani for outdoor under cover use. But with little room mode enhancement I am now rethinking their capabilities to produce much bass on an Single plane setup.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-15-2020, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Realize that the OP is comparing the bass and mids to his LSiM spaeakers, which excel in those areas. From the accounts I have read, the LSiMs put out more bass than most at their size. I don’t have the towers, but it is certainly true for the 703 bookshelves (which I do have). While not going as low as the BMRs, the 703s certainly do have a bit more bass punch.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-15-2020, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

With regard to imaging and soundstage, things seem to be ok.
Its probably not you.

I went to AXPONA 2019 (Audio Expo North America) and listened to Emotiva's multi billion dollar Atmos Home Theater Surround setup.

It sounded pretty much how you described it.

I will be attending AXPONA 2020......I will see if their newer speakers sound better or the same.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

59" Samsung Series 7000 Plasma TV Samsung BD-D5500 Blu-ray player
Onkyo TX-NR609 AV Receiver
Canton TBD (Center) Canton Chrono SL 596 DC (L & R)
JBL SP6CII (Frt Height & RR Surround)
Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #10 of 11 Old 02-15-2020, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Hi folks, at Zorba’s encouragement I’ll post my initial impressions of the T2 towers.

I’ll add more thoughts to this thread as I continue to listen.

Of course, take this with many a grain of salt- as I’m sure you can tell from my review I’m not a trained musician or even remotely an expert in evaluating speakers. Just a regular guy on a hunt for speakers as dynamic as the LSiMs but without the harshness.

In the pictures, they’re standing next to the Definitive Technology 9060s. I’ll provide my impression of the A/B comparison between the the two speakers a little later. They’re just very different beasts entirely.
]

Your impressions of the T2's very closely match my own, and I've bolded in the quote above the things I agree with most. I have moved on to other speakers, however, I don't want to discourage you from your new speakers.
Boombox13 likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What did you move on to?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BOYCOTT BEST BUY IN WEST PATERSON, NJ !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page