Dolby Atmos home theatre setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-14-2020, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dolby Atmos home theatre setup

Gonna be buying one of the new LG OLED TV’s here in a few months once they finally come out..

Want to build a home theatre room in our extra bedroom we don’t use. The dimensions of the room are 8feet x 11feet (with the tv being wall mounted on the 8ft wall) and the ceiling is 8feet high. My budget for the entire home theatre side of things is gonna be anywhere from $2000usd-$3000 usd. I Am looking to do a setup that has 4 wall mounted (in top corners and angled downward to act like in ceiling speakers) and then 2 floorstanding/bookshelf speakers to left and right of tv and another 2 floorstanding/bookshelf speakers behind sitting area put at ear level for rear surround. And then of course a center channel under tv and 1 subwoofer (or 2 if you think it would be better, just seems like overkill for my smaller room). Only capabilities I’m looking for on the receiver would be Dolby Atmos/DTS:X capable, Dolby Vision Pass-through, eARC output, and whatever version of HDCP will allow me to view Dolby Vision HDR, not really well informed on all the technical terms so take it easy on me. Haha. But basically all in all trying to maximize my Audio Experience in the room that I plan on mostly watching movies in. I’m open to Any and all suggestions!

And one last thing, if someone could help me out with understanding the wiring and for dedicated speakers it would be appreciated, like what brand is best and if banana plugs are a good thing to use. Also which HDMI cables are best right now to get best results when viewing Dolby Vision/ Regular hdr content and Dolby Atmos content.

Thank you guys so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2020, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9667 Post(s)
Liked: 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemaholic25 View Post
Gonna be buying one of the new LG OLED TV’s here in a few months once they finally come out..

Want to build a home theatre room in our extra bedroom we don’t use. The dimensions of the room are 8feet x 11feet (with the tv being wall mounted on the 8ft wall) and the ceiling is 8feet high. My budget for the entire home theatre side of things is gonna be anywhere from $2000usd-$3000 usd. I Am looking to do a setup that has 4 wall mounted (in top corners and angled downward to act like in ceiling speakers) and then 2 floorstanding/bookshelf speakers to left and right of tv and another 2 floorstanding/bookshelf speakers behind sitting area put at ear level for rear surround. And then of course a center channel under tv and 1 subwoofer (or 2 if you think it would be better, just seems like overkill for my smaller room). Only capabilities I’m looking for on the receiver would be Dolby Atmos/DTS:X capable, Dolby Vision Pass-through, eARC output, and whatever version of HDCP will allow me to view Dolby Vision HDR, not really well informed on all the technical terms so take it easy on me. Haha. But basically all in all trying to maximize my Audio Experience in the room that I plan on mostly watching movies in. I’m open to Any and all suggestions!

And one last thing, if someone could help me out with understanding the wiring and for dedicated speakers it would be appreciated, like what brand is best and if banana plugs are a good thing to use. Also which HDMI cables are best right now to get best results when viewing Dolby Vision/ Regular hdr content and Dolby Atmos content.

Thank you guys so much!
Are you located near any of these folks?

ACCESSORIES 4 LESS*** NEAR ORLANDO FLORIDA
APERION* NEAR PORTLAND OREGON
ASCEND** NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
CHANE TAMPA FLORIDA
CRUTCHFIELD*** CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA
DEEP SEA SOUND SUBS NEAR KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
DIYSOUND GROUP CINCINNATI OHIO
EMOTIVA NEAR NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
HI FI HEAVEN*** GREEN BAY WISONSIN
HSU NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
HTD* NEAR DALLAS TEXAS
JTR NEAR MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN
MONOPRICE NEAR RIVERSIDE CALIFORNIA
MUSIC DIRECT*** CHICAGO ILLINOIS
NHT NEAR SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA
OHM BROOKLYN NEW YORK
PSA NEAR YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
RBH NEAR SALT LAKE CITY UTAH
RHYTHMIK SUBS NEAR AUSTIN TEXAS
RSL* NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
SALK AUDIO PONTIAC MICHIGAN
SATURDAY AUDIO--- CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SEATON SOUND NEAR CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SELAH AUDIO NEAR RALEIGH NORTH CAROLINA
SVS* YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
TEKTON NEAR PROVO UTAH
TYLER ACOUSTICS NEAR LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY
WORLDWIDE STEREO*** NEAR PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA

CANADIAN MANUFACTURERS
AXIOM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FLUANCE NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FUNK AUDIO NEAR VANCOUVER CANADA
PARADIGM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
PSB NEAR TORONTO CANADA
TOTEM NEAR MONTREAL CANADA
* free return shipping but not always on towers
**Ascend also carries Rhythmik subwoofers on site
***retail outlet of many brands

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 7 Old 02-15-2020, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7976 Post(s)
Liked: 6086
Quote:

8 x 11' bedroom, you really don't need towers but if you absolutely insist, two pair of these are all you'd need:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...rmotiv-t0-pair

This center:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-c1

And these height speakers:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-a1

$1600 for the 9 speakers. Problem is, a 9 channel receiver with eARC will run you $1500 (Denon X4500) making you have zero money left over for the subwoofer(s) which are far more important than having 2 extra height speakers in such a tiny room.

So, my advice would be to go with 2 height speakers not 4, so that your speaker budget comes down to $1300 and more importantly, your receiver budget comes down to a far more reasonable $550 (Denon X3500 from Amazon). $1850 leaves you plenty left over for 1-2 (2 is better) quality subs...unless you really don't care much for big budget action/thriller flicks, in which case a single $400-500 sub (Rythmik, Hsu, SVS, RSL) would be all you'd need in that space.

If you insist on 9 speakers then you should consider doing all bookshelves to fit in the cost of the sub(s)...maybe NHT SuperOnes for the bottom 5 ($97 ea. from Amazon) with NHT SuperZeros ($70 ea. Amazon) for the heights.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-16-2020, 01:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
Quote:

Thank you guys so much!
No need for towers in a room that size and for mostly HT. An HSU Hybrid 2 5.1 package (go for the rosewood finish if aesthetics are important) is all you'd need and would sound fantastic. Just add two more pairs of HB-1 bookshelves to your cart. A Denon X3600 would be plenty to drive this setup.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2mk5pkg.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-16-2020, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I don't know how many are left out there, but right now Amazon has the Pioneer VSX-LX503 9 channel ATMOS receiver for $600.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-L.../dp/B07CRK7QNQ

David
post #6 of 7 Old 02-16-2020, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7976 Post(s)
Liked: 6086
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussader View Post
I don't know how many are left out there, but right now Amazon has the Pioneer VSX-LX503 9 channel ATMOS receiver for $600.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-L.../dp/B07CRK7QNQ
Nice find! Unfortunately it doesn't have the eARC that the OP seems to require.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:
Gonna be buying one of the new LG OLED TV’️s here in a few months once they finally come out..

Want to build a home theatre room in our extra bedroom we don’️t use. The dimensions of the room are 8feet x 11feet (with the tv being wall mounted on the 8ft wall) and the ceiling is 8feet high. My budget for the entire home theatre side of things is gonna be anywhere from $2000usd-$3000 usd. I Am looking to do a setup that has 4 wall mounted (in top corners and angled downward to act like in ceiling speakers) and then 2 floorstanding/bookshelf speakers to left and right of tv and another 2 floorstanding/bookshelf speakers behind sitting area put at ear level for rear surround. And then of course a center channel under tv and 1 subwoofer (or 2 if you think it would be better, just seems like overkill for my smaller room). Only capabilities I’️m looking for on the receiver would be Dolby Atmos/DTS:X capable, Dolby Vision Pass-through, eARC output, and whatever version of HDCP will allow me to view Dolby Vision HDR, not really well informed on all the technical terms so take it easy on me. Haha. But basically all in all trying to maximize my Audio Experience in the room that I plan on mostly watching movies in. I’️m open to Any and all suggestions!

8 x 11' bedroom, you really don't need towers but if you absolutely insist, two pair of these are all you'd need:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...rmotiv-t0-pair

This center:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-c1

And these height speakers:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-a1

$1600 for the 9 speakers. Problem is, a 9 channel receiver with eARC will run you $1500 (Denon X4500) making you have zero money left over for the subwoofer(s) which are far more important than having 2 extra height speakers in such a tiny room.

So, my advice would be to go with 2 height speakers not 4, so that your speaker budget comes down to $1300 and more importantly, your receiver budget comes down to a far more reasonable $550 (Denon X3500 from Amazon). $1850 leaves you plenty left over for 1-2 (2 is better) quality subs...unless you really don't care much for big budget action/thriller flicks, in which case a single $400-500 sub (Rythmik, Hsu, SVS, RSL) would be all you'd need in that space.

If you insist on 9 speakers then you should consider doing all bookshelves to fit in the cost of the sub(s)...maybe NHT SuperOnes for the bottom 5 ($97 ea. from Amazon) with NHT SuperZeros ($70 ea. Amazon) for the heights.
Would the Denon x3600 work for the described emotiva setup you suggested? Was thinking of just doing center, 4 bookshelf, and 2 surround, with a pair of their height speakers on top of each bookshelf pair? And which subs would you suggest with this setup? Same ones? And how do I know if the receiver has enough power for all these speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page