Is an "on-wall elevation" speaker also classed as Atmos? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-20-2020, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Is an "on-wall elevation" speaker also classed as Atmos?

I'm just looking at adding a pair of atmos speakers to my 5.1 setup, and I've read mixed reviews about the Atmos speakers that stand on top of your existing speakers and fire sounds up to be bounced off the ceiling. Then I saw that some atmos speakers such as the Klipsch R-41SA and the Alteco C1 can also be wall mounted high up and are angled to be pointed directly at the main listening position.

My question is, when wall mounted high up and pointed directly at the listener, does this do the same job as Atmos, or is the Atmos sound specifically designed to be bounced off the ceiling?

I ask because when reading about the Klipsch speakers, the bullet points say: "Dolby Atmos® Overhead Sound Effects" and then "Keyhole Mounting for On-Wall Elevation/Surround Sound Use".... making it sound like on-wall elevation mounting is an alternative use for the speaker than atmos..... is that the case? I always assumed that on-wall elevated speakers were just cutting out the need for ceiling bouncing because they are already placed high up and being aimed down...

Sorry if that all sounds convoluted, but does anyone know if that is different uses for the speaker? (they can also be used for surrounds too) or if it is doing the same thing but just placed differently for people who don't have the option for putting them on a high wall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-20-2020, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie88 View Post
I'm just looking at adding a pair of atmos speakers to my 5.1 setup, and I've read mixed reviews about the Atmos speakers that stand on top of your existing speakers and fire sounds up to be bounced off the ceiling. Then I saw that some atmos speakers such as the Klipsch R-41SA and the Alteco C1 can also be wall mounted high up and are angled to be pointed directly at the main listening position.

My question is, when wall mounted high up and pointed directly at the listener, does this do the same job as Atmos, or is the Atmos sound specifically designed to be bounced off the ceiling?

I ask because when reading about the Klipsch speakers, the bullet points say: "Dolby Atmos® Overhead Sound Effects" and then "Keyhole Mounting for On-Wall Elevation/Surround Sound Use".... making it sound like on-wall elevation mounting is an alternative use for the speaker than atmos..... is that the case? I always assumed that on-wall elevated speakers were just cutting out the need for ceiling bouncing because they are already placed high up and being aimed down...

Sorry if that all sounds convoluted, but does anyone know if that is different uses for the speaker? (they can also be used for surrounds too) or if it is doing the same thing but just placed differently for people who don't have the option for putting them on a high wall?
Best definition I could find is this:
Quote:
Dolby Atmos enabled speakers are specially engineered to direct sound upward, where it reflects off the ceiling to produce an incredibly lifelike re-creation of overhead sound. Dolby Atmos enabled speakers come in two versions:
  • Integrated units that also include traditional forward-firing speakers
  • Add-on modules, containing only the upward-firing elements, that you put on top of your current speakers or on a nearby surface
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...tup/index.html

After I did some research I found that on wall speakers that are directed to the listen location was a better fit for an "Atmos effect" in my application. I have a faulted ceiling so trying to have upward firing speakers giving an Atmos effect doesn't really fit.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-20-2020, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_marinelli View Post

After I did some research I found that on wall speakers that are directed to the listen location was a better fit for an "Atmos effect" in my application. I have a faulted ceiling so trying to have upward firing speakers giving an Atmos effect doesn't really fit.
Are you happy with the results? Or did you find Atmos underwhelming?

I was just at my local media store, and the guy there tried to talk me out of Atmos altogether. According to him they are already phasing it out.

He said they made a test in-store with the Vertical Limit BluRay, and in 5.1 the wind could be heard perfectly, and then when the added the Atmos speakers to the overall mix, you could barely hear the wind at all. He claims it takes something away from what is already a perfect working medium....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-20-2020, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie88 View Post
Are you happy with the results? Or did you find Atmos underwhelming?

I was just at my local media store, and the guy there tried to talk me out of Atmos altogether. According to him they are already phasing it out.

He said they made a test in-store with the Vertical Limit BluRay, and in 5.1 the wind could be heard perfectly, and then when the added the Atmos speakers to the overall mix, you could barely hear the wind at all. He claims it takes something away from what is already a perfect working medium....
I don't feel underwelmed at all with it. Again that is because I'm bypassing the attempt to make the sound bounce off the ceiling to the listening area. Having a speaker mounted high directly firing the sound directly to the listening area is I feel a much better way but that is my opinion of course LOL. There are much more seasoned members on here that I'm sure will jump in and give there input as well.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-20-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 484
In a perfect world

In a perfect world everyone would mount their speakers in/on ceiling as recommended by Dolby. However, many of us don't have strictly dedicated theater rooms that are perfect for various sound applications. So upfiring and elevation speakers found their way into Atmos.
I personally chose SVS Prime Elevation speakers and they are quite convincing. They are mounted near the ceiling on my side walls. I'm sure in/on ceiling would probably sound better, but that was not feasible for me.
I contacted Dolby asking about placement for my speakers twice and they would not even entertain the idea of it. They do however placement information about speakers that bounce off of the ceiling.
My local Theater store has an amazing Atmos setup that would surely dispute your local stores idea that Atmos is not so good. Here's a link to a video that was done by AVS Forum about their setup:
Personally, I'm happy I went with Atmos but YMMV as they say. Just remember all Atmos content is not created equal so some movies will be more convincing than others.
Finally, take a look at Dolby's website and see what they suggest. A lot of good information there, just not about side mounted on wall speakers.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650

Last edited by pappaduke; 02-20-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page