Vienna Acoustics still in business? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Class A
  • 1 Post By btran33

post #1 of 7 Old 02-21-2020, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Vienna Acoustics still in business?

Hi All:
Does anyone know if Vienna Acoustics still in business? Their website is still up and they have the list of distributors, including one in the US for Parts (Bluebird Music), but I can't find any supporting email or # to contact them directly for questions. The Vienna Owner Thread here also looks to be abandoned as well, as I posted a question below and have no-reply, the last time someone posted something there was a few months ago without any replay. Anyway, I reposted my question here just in case someone knows the answers:

I just acquired a used Vienna acoustics poetry center speaker for a very reasonable (cheap) price compare the MSPR at $10K, the speaker is in good shape and sounds amazing. I have owned a large number of center speakers, from the large and expensive B&W Natilus, Martin Logan Theater, Emotiva C1, Klipsch RC64 II to the smaller center like the Infinity and alike, and I have to say that this VA Poetry is easily the best of the best center speaker out there. Therefore, I want to keep this speaker for a while. Now the question and suggestion:

1) This speaker is not perfect, the previous owner accidentally hit one of the woofers and caused a hairline crack on the woofer. He has repaired it with superglue and it seems to hold out well, one can only see the crack, but can't feel the crack, from very up close. With my best ability, I can't hear any difference from the good woofer and the crack woofer, I have played soft to drive you out of the room loud music and can't hear anything abnormally between the two woofers. However, a part of me still nagging about the crack, so I reach out to Bluebird (the US distributor) and have a quote for the replacement woofer for around ~$600 + shipping. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger for the replacement woofer, but have a question: do I need to replace both woofers or can just replace the craking one? Does the new and the old woofer have some negative effects if not replace together? Am I wasting money to replace the craking woofer if I can't hear any difference in sound?

2) Based on the online user manual and the online pictures of the Poetry, there are two small switches on the back of the speaker to lift the treble and bass, if needed for in-room correction. However, my Poetry doesn't have those two switches? I have searched up and down the online world and can't find a single picture of any Poetry that doesn't have the switches (well, there are not many pictures out there, to begin with). So I wonder if my model is an older model? if yes, then why I can't find any picture or user manual for the older model or any mention or review of the older model? This is really bothering me. Does anyone have any info on a Poetry speaker without the switches?

I attached here the picture of my Poetry; unfortunately, the speaker is way too big and heavy for me to turn around for a picture of the back.
Please let me know your thought and greatly appreciated the feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0182.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	883.4 KB
ID:	2687960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0183.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	809.5 KB
ID:	2687962  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-21-2020, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 5733
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by btran33 View Post
Hi All:
Does anyone know if Vienna Acoustics still in business? Their website is still up and they have the list of distributors, including one in the US for Parts (Bluebird Music), but I can't find any supporting email or # to contact them directly for questions. The Vienna Owner Thread here also looks to be abandoned as well, as I posted a question below and have no-reply, the last time someone posted something there was a few months ago without any replay. Anyway, I reposted my question here just in case someone knows the answers:

I just acquired a used Vienna acoustics poetry center speaker for a very reasonable (cheap) price compare the MSPR at $10K, the speaker is in good shape and sounds amazing. I have owned a large number of center speakers, from the large and expensive B&W Natilus, Martin Logan Theater, Emotiva C1, Klipsch RC64 II to the smaller center like the Infinity and alike, and I have to say that this VA Poetry is easily the best of the best center speaker out there. Therefore, I want to keep this speaker for a while. Now the question and suggestion:

1) This speaker is not perfect, the previous owner accidentally hit one of the woofers and caused a hairline crack on the woofer. He has repaired it with superglue and it seems to hold out well, one can only see the crack, but can't feel the crack, from very up close. With my best ability, I can't hear any difference from the good woofer and the crack woofer, I have played soft to drive you out of the room loud music and can't hear anything abnormally between the two woofers. However, a part of me still nagging about the crack, so I reach out to Bluebird (the US distributor) and have a quote for the replacement woofer for around ~$600 + shipping. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger for the replacement woofer, but have a question: do I need to replace both woofers or can just replace the craking one? Does the new and the old woofer have some negative effects if not replace together? Am I wasting money to replace the craking woofer if I can't hear any difference in sound?

2) Based on the online user manual and the online pictures of the Poetry, there are two small switches on the back of the speaker to lift the treble and bass, if needed for in-room correction. However, my Poetry doesn't have those two switches? I have searched up and down the online world and can't find a single picture of any Poetry that doesn't have the switches (well, there are not many pictures out there, to begin with). So I wonder if my model is an older model? if yes, then why I can't find any picture or user manual for the older model or any mention or review of the older model? This is really bothering me. Does anyone have any info on a Poetry speaker without the switches?

I attached here the picture of my Poetry; unfortunately, the speaker is way too big and heavy for me to turn around for a picture of the back.
Please let me know your thought and greatly appreciated the feedback.
Vienna Acoustics is still in business. Blue Bird Audio is the North American distributor for their speakers. Contact them and they will give you info on the dealer nearest you.
355F1 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-21-2020, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Vienna Acoustics is still in business. Blue Bird Audio is the North American distributor for their speakers. Contact them and they will give you info on the dealer nearest you.
I did contact Katherine (bluebird) for the replacement of the woofer and get the quote from her for the replacement part. However, they won't be able to give me the info on the model # or version for my speaker. That is why I need the VA customer service contact # or email as I don't want to order the wrong part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-21-2020, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
There are some Vienna Acoustic woofers on Ebay. Perhaps worth a look.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ofers&_sacat=0
post #5 of 7 Old 02-21-2020, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
There are some Vienna Acoustic woofers on Ebay. Perhaps worth a look.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ofers&_sacat=0
Thanks! My problem is I don't know for sure the version number for my speaker I know that it's the Poetry model but don't know what version it's as mine has some differences with the pictures online and the user manual. I can't find the tag or serial number and the previous owner is no help as he doesn't response to my ping! I have combed the internet up & down for the last few days and can't find any pictures or reviews that match mine version of the Poetry. Anyway, it sounds wonderful so I might leave everything as is and just enjoy the mystery.
BT
shivaji likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-21-2020, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Well, VA have been at all the recent audio shows.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II towers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T towers(Surrounds), Polk LSiM706 center, Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Sony 75" 900E.
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Onkyo TX-NR809, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-21-2020, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
Well, VA have been at all the recent audio shows.
good idea, I'll watch out to the next audio shows near me and pop in to see if any of the VA showman would have any clue. My guess is that it's some type of prototype or early beta testing model, but how did it ended up over the pond? The cabinet's fit and finished are excellent and very nice; however, the inside wiring, stuffing material and the crossover layout doesn't look like a $10K top of the line speaker and more of a DIY project. Again, it's sound so good...Best Center Speaker I've ever heard, so I have no complaint there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page