Help with Rear Surround Speaker Placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mike0716

post #1 of 7 Old 02-21-2020, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Help with Rear Surround Speaker Placement

I have an odd shaped basement and no real good place to put rear surround speakers. I believe my only choice would be above my windows on my back wall. My wife hates the ideas of the rear speakers on stands.

Anybody have a brillant idea of where to put the rear surround speakers? If the top of the wall is my best option, what are some good, but small speakers to put there?

Current Setup - 3.1
Center - Klipsch RP-450C
LR - Klipsch RP-160M
Sub - SVS PB12
Atmos (purchased, not yet installed) - RSL C34E

Please excuse the messy basement. I was trying out some different F/L/R and still haven't fully cleaned up since a super bowl party.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01f21cb4bf924fab2ab22daa4230209147b7de310b.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	803.1 KB
ID:	2688146   Click image for larger version

Name:	0172f0765137f57e13a0a58929783730247ae66c75.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	799.7 KB
ID:	2688148   Click image for larger version

Name:	01472fb00edf0abc62146241e22b55aaed06647b82.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	645.5 KB
ID:	2688152  
head_unit likes this.

Last edited by mike0716; 02-21-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-23-2020, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ive been poking around for Atmos surrounds and these SVS Prime Elevation look very interesting. Not sure how well they match your Klipsch but I thought I saw a guy on YouTube using them with Klipsch.
https://www.svsound.com/collections/prime-elevation

I have soft some tweeters so probably go with something else. Maybe LSi7 for the rear surround (only have 4.1 now) and some DIY for the Atmos. Still not sure where to put them lol with three rows of seats.

Real nice room you have there btw!

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-23-2020, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9774 Post(s)
Liked: 6786
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0716 View Post
I have an odd shaped basement and no real good place to put rear surround speakers. I believe my only choice would be above my windows on my back wall. My wife hates the ideas of the rear speakers on stands.

Anybody have a brillant idea of where to put the rear surround speakers? If the top of the wall is my best option, what are some good, but small speakers to put there?

Current Setup - 3.1
Center - Klipsch RP-450C
LR - Klipsch RP-160M
Sub - SVS PB12
Atmos (purchased, not yet installed) - RSL C34E

Please excuse the messy basement. I was trying out some different F/L/R and still haven't fully cleaned up since a super bowl party.
Can you take another photo from the far right recliner across all the recliners to show us what is on the other side of the room?

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-23-2020, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Can you take another photo from the far right recliner across all the recliners to show us what is on the other side of the room?
Here you go. The basement layout is office on the far side, wide open space in the middle, bar and then a square wood panel room. I believe the wood panel room was set up previously for a pool table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01ee7c8cd993c9dfc3daac517f266006155c1003ce.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	780.6 KB
ID:	2689118   Click image for larger version

Name:	01f1076b10af1d3901a2609239db17d0167e026f3c.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	701.0 KB
ID:	2689120  
post #5 of 7 Old 02-23-2020, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Apologies for the bluntness but I hate how your L/R look on those brackets and I'm pretty sure your wife does too (since heck my wife even hates my slim towers...let alone the big Focals in another system ). I'd either
- Move L/C/R up onto a wide decorative shelf just above the TV (leaving room for a future larger TV heh heh)
- Or change to L/R towers.
Which then makes me ask, can your L/R be moved to surround duty? Yeah, up above the windows is the only logical place, not sure how you'll get the wires there. Same kind of decorative shelf as the front if that's what you do up front. Make HER pick the shelving! Knickknack heaven!
It's not clear to me what the TV is centered on-the post? And opposite the center of the TV is where exactly on the back wall? (Diagram?). I'd center stuff on the TV, and don't worry about the side bar area cuz hey you can't do much about that.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-24-2020, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
Apologies for the bluntness but I hate how your L/R look on those brackets and I'm pretty sure your wife does too (since heck my wife even hates my slim towers...let alone the big Focals in another system ). I'd either
- Move L/C/R up onto a wide decorative shelf just above the TV (leaving room for a future larger TV heh heh)
- Or change to L/R towers.
Which then makes me ask, can your L/R be moved to surround duty? Yeah, up above the windows is the only logical place, not sure how you'll get the wires there. Same kind of decorative shelf as the front if that's what you do up front. Make HER pick the shelving! Knickknack heaven!
It's not clear to me what the TV is centered on-the post? And opposite the center of the TV is where exactly on the back wall? (Diagram?). I'd center stuff on the TV, and don't worry about the side bar area cuz hey you can't do much about that.
No worries about bluntness. My wife already nixed the ideas of towers, that was my first try. I wanted to go with my L/R on stands, but she wanted to go with those wall brackets. I agree with you, I think they are ugly.

My current L/R are too big to put on the wall above the windows. Those are 16" tall and I only have 12" of space between the top of the window and the ceiling.

Anybody have a better idea than the Prime Satellite Speakers as the rear surrounds? They are highly rated and only 9" tall.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-24-2020, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9774 Post(s)
Liked: 6786
Quote:
No worries about bluntness. My wife already nixed the ideas of towers, that was my first try. I wanted to go with my L/R on stands, but she wanted to go with those wall brackets. I agree with you, I think they are ugly.

My current L/R are too big to put on the wall above the windows. Those are 16" tall and I only have 12" of space between the top of the window and the ceiling.

Anybody have a better idea than the Prime Satellite Speakers as the rear surrounds? They are highly rated and only 9" tall.
It seems to me that the surround speakers need to be ceiling mounted just in front of the soffit to the outside of each recliner on the very end aimed towards the center.

Without the soffit they could have been placed further back but that barrier suggests the first placement I suggested.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page