Time to start making some minor speaker upgrades. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #31 of 42 Old 03-05-2020, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Did you already get the Dayton AIR sats? That would be an interesting comparison vs the SVS Sats.
Yep, there were delivered earlier this week, but I haven't even taken them out of the box yet. If I get some time when the Sat's are delivered I'll try to do a side by side.
Zorba922 likes this.

Samsung
Onkyo & AudioSource
Emotiva, SVS & Polk Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 03-06-2020, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Did you already get the Dayton AIR sats? That would be an interesting comparison vs the SVS Sats.
I played around with them for a while today. The Dayton's are larger, but weight 1/2 as much as the SVS Sat's. I was really surprised at the sound from the Dayton's at lower volumes, it really was pleasant listening to music. I felt overall that the Sat's were clearer and were able to produce lower notes. If the Dayton tried to hit a lower frequency, it sounded hollow. The ported Sat didn't see to have any problem with lower notes. If I wouldn't have bought the SVS speakers also, I wouldn't have had a problem running the Dayton's as surround speakers. That being said, I preferred the sound of the SVS over the Dayton's.

I attached a pic to show the size difference between the 2 and my old Energy RC Micro's that they replaced.

I swapped out all 4 and should be done buying speakers for a while... That being said, I just bought 17 in the last month and swapped out all 8 of my old speakers and added 5 more. 7.2.4 for the win!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speakers.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	2694392  
Zorba922 likes this.

Samsung
Onkyo & AudioSource
post #33 of 42 Old 03-06-2020, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9179 Post(s)
Liked: 7042
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshillin View Post
I was really surprised at the sound from the Dayton's at lower volumes, it really was pleasant listening to music. I felt overall that the Sat's were clearer and were able to produce lower notes. If the Dayton tried to hit a lower frequency, it sounded hollow. The ported Sat didn't see to have any problem with lower notes. If I wouldn't have bought the SVS speakers also, I wouldn't have had a problem running the Dayton's as surround speakers. That being said, I preferred the sound of the SVS over the Dayton.
That make sense, actually.

Were you testing them using an 80 to 100Hz crossover, like you would be using when actually installed within your system?

I hope you weren't comparing them side by side playing full-range...that would not be a fair fight at all.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 03-06-2020, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That make sense, actually.

Were you testing them using an 80 to 100Hz crossover, like you would be using when actually installed within your system?

I hope you weren't comparing them side by side playing full-range...that would not be a fair fight at all.

Yes, the crossover was set at 80hz for the duration of the test. I played one set for a while, swapped to the other, then 1 of each at the same time. I took 1/2 day off work today to play around.

Samsung
Onkyo & AudioSource
post #35 of 42 Old 03-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, the crossover was set at 80hz for the duration of the test. I played one set for a while, swapped to the other, then 1 of each at the same time. I took 1/2 day off work today to play around.
I'm curious, if you try a 100Hz or 120Hz crossover, how much closer to equal do the two become? Those are actually more common crossovers used for small satellite surrounds, I think.

https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/ti...or-a-subwoofer

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #36 of 42 Old 03-06-2020, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
What is the price difference between the Dayton's and the SVS ?

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
post #37 of 42 Old 03-08-2020, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm curious, if you try a 100Hz or 120Hz crossover, how much closer to equal do the two become? Those are actually more common crossovers used for small satellite surrounds, I think.

https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/ti...or-a-subwoofer
I based the crossover point for the test after the advertised frequency response from the 2 speakers. Tried to get as close as I could.

Dayton - 85-20,000 Hz
SVS - 69 Hz-25 kHz

Naturally the SVS hits deeper than the Dayton based off of that information alone. But, the Dayton is fine for the money and I won't complain for a second based on the value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
What is the price difference between the Dayton's and the SVS ?
Big price difference... $46/pair vs $270/pair

If anyone is in the PA/MD/WV area, they can have the both pair of the Dayton's for $50 picked up. I only took 2 of them out of the box.
Zorba922 likes this.

Samsung
Onkyo & AudioSource
post #38 of 42 Old 03-16-2020, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

It's been a little over a week since making all of the changes. I've made it a point to watch several different movies and have been very happy with the sound improvements across the board. Running atmos with the in ceiling speakers is very noticeable and even the wife complimented the sound. We watched Dr Strange Saturday night and a couple movies on Netflix. I really liked the sound from Ford vs Ferrari and if you haven't saw it yet, add it to your must watch list.

The only thing I'm not sure on is if I should be looking for a larger bookshelf speaker with 6 1/2" woofers instead of the small 5 1/4" woofers in the B1's. I think I'm going to leave it alone for now, but that thought has been in the back of my head since I set them up... My surrounds and subs are both SVS and have been wondering if the SVS bookshelf would be a better option, along with SVS center...

Samsung
Onkyo & AudioSource
post #39 of 42 Old 04-17-2020, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I thought it was time to add to this thread...

I haven't stopped changing things since I started upgrading things in January... I swapped out the B1's for SVS Prime Bookshelf speakers because I just felt the 5 1/4" just wasn't cutting it for home theater, but sounded excellent for music. I picked up a small amp and moved the B1's to my desk and they are perfect for that and get used daily... I have an 8" Monoprice sub on the way to mate up with them, it should be here today.

Next... I really like the sound of the C1 all around, no complaints at all. But at that point, both subs, fronts and the 4 surrounds were all SVS, so I swapped out the C1 for a Prime Center.

I've been reading about how much better than Ultra's are compared to the Primes, so I have an Ultra Center and bookshelf speakers on the way.

I'll be selling the SVS Prime Center/bookshelf speakers and Emotiva C1 Center soon.

Samsung
Onkyo & AudioSource
post #40 of 42 Old 04-17-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
OK, I thought it was time to add to this thread...

I haven't stopped changing things since I started upgrading things in January... I swapped out the B1's for SVS Prime Bookshelf speakers because I just felt the 5 1/4" just wasn't cutting it for home theater, but sounded excellent for music. I picked up a small amp and moved the B1's to my desk and they are perfect for that and get used daily... I have an 8" Monoprice sub on the way to mate up with them, it should be here today.

Next... I really like the sound of the C1 all around, no complaints at all. But at that point, both subs, fronts and the 4 surrounds were all SVS, so I swapped out the C1 for a Prime Center.

I've been reading about how much better than Ultra's are compared to the Primes, so I have an Ultra Center and bookshelf speakers on the way.

I'll be selling the SVS Prime Center/bookshelf speakers and Emotiva C1 Center soon.
How about writing a brief 3 way comparison review between the Emotiva LCR vs the Prime LCR vs the Ultra LCR? It would be interesting to see how much difference you hear between them during movies vs music.

I'd also be curious about a direct 3 way comparison between just those 3 center speakers.

post #41 of 42 Old 04-29-2020, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How about writing a brief 3 way comparison review between the Emotiva LCR vs the Prime LCR vs the Ultra LCR? It would be interesting to see how much difference you hear between them during movies vs music.

I'd also be curious about a direct 3 way comparison between just those 3 center speakers.
I'd love to do that, but there is no way I'll have time to pull it off. I haven't even hooked up my SB3000 that I got last Thursday to try to setup with the miniDSP. I'm so busy right now that it's crazy.
Zorba922 likes this.

Samsung
Onkyo & AudioSource
post #42 of 42 Old 05-18-2020, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Started beginning of the year with:

Vizio 70" 1080p tv
Pioneer 7.1 Receiver.
fronts: Polk Series ii Monitor 40's
Center: Polk CS245i
Surrounds & Rear: Energy RC Micro's
Sub: Klipsch RW 12D

Next I upgraded the TV and receiver

82" Samsung Q70R
Onkyo TX-RZ830
Audiosource 2 channel Amp
4 Polk 8" in ceiling Atmos speakers
Emotiva C1
Emotiva B1's
Dayton Air's for surrounds.
SVS SB12-NSD Pair

Wasn't happy with it.

So I made some more changes...
SVS Prime Center
SVS Prime Bookshelf
SVS Prime Satellites x4

Definitely liked this setup better since I'm 99% movies/TV and hardly any music. The B1's were moved to my office and love them for music with a a small sub.

Next I came across a good price on Ultra's so I made a couple more changes.
SVS Ultra Center
SVS Ultra Bookshelf pair.

Not as much of an improvement that I expected, but still happy with it. Still not done yet.

Bought an SVS SB3000, only had a way to connect 2 at this point, so I ran 1 SB12 and the SB3K and that filled out the bottom end a little better yet. Next I wondered if I needed more power for the Ultras and bought an amp.

Over the weekend I finally found time to install the Emotiva A-5175, the 3rd sub and tune in all 3 subs with the MiniDSP 2x4HD and run Auto EQ again. I'm happy with the whole setup. I went from wanting to do a minor upgrade earlier this year to going crazy. In order to fit everything I had to cut shelving out to make room for the TV, rip out bottom shelf to make it deep enough, cut some holes in the wall to run wires for new subwoofer and decided to add the accent wood beneath it all. I also started making my own cables too, bought wire pants, lots of banana plugs, etc.

This is what I ended up with since the beginning of the year went from 7.1 to 7.3.4
82" Samsung Q70R
Onkyo TX-RZ830
Emotiva A-5175
4 Polk 8" in ceiling Atmos speakers
SVS Ultra center
SVS Ultra Bookshelf pair
SVS Prime Satellites x4.
SVS SB12-NSD Pair
SVS SB3000
MiniDSP 2x4HD
Panasonic DP-UB420 4k Disc Player

Now I'm officially done for a while. The setup is very clear and gets plenty loud. Also, the paint under the TV is still a little wet where I had to fix a spot, so ignore it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200518_101643.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2728428  
Zorba922 and cocrh like this.

Samsung
Onkyo & AudioSource
Sponsored Links
Advertisement