Center Channel Yamaha NS-C225, suggestions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-26-2020, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Center Channel Yamaha NS-C225, suggestions

Hey all,

I am running a 5.1 system in my living room (small, like ..15x15). The TV sits up in the corner of room pointing out diagonal (I will add pictures and drawings if needed). My center speaker literally sits on the TV Stand (that came with TV). Imagine a 50" hole in the wall .. TV sits in the hole, center speaker on the TV Stand.

The Center speaker is the Yamaha NS-C225, i have had for many years now (>15 years is a guess). My LF/RF speakers are SVS Ultra Bookshelfs, and the two surrounds are also SVS (not bookshelves). My Sub is also a SVS sub.

My concern is that most of the sound for HT comes through the Center channel, which I run slightly hotter to hear the dialogue.

Possible Options (feel free to add others)

1.) dump the center, buy the prime or ultra center and move it to the side of the TV where there is more room. Its not directly center (the sound) though.
2.) dump the center, and run a 4.1 setup
3.) Buy a new center that is roughly the same height and dimensions replacing the NS-C225.
4.) Leave well enough alone, and buy the wife a nice vacation
5.) Remodal that area so it can better fit a proper center channel setup with TV.

Additional Notes:
I do not run a loud setup, I live in a townhome. Wife does not like option 5. She would prefer Option 6.) Save your money and do nothing.

Any thoughts on the speaker and possible changes (if any)? If pics are needed, will have to wait till I get home and make some drawings

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-26-2020, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Option 4 and 6 can lead to a very fruitful life.

Play option 4 and 6 well and long enough and all of the other options may become available at some point and time.

Ahh..the Joy's of life and audio....decisions..decisions.

I've learned that playing music to their liking sometimes helps the audio quest..and I'm not talking about speaker cable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

[I]Video: Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k -58 PANASONIC PZ850u plasma
4k-Blu Ray: Sony UBP x800 - PS3 - oppo 103 Amp and power : Pioneer elite SC - 27 - Monster Power AVS 2000 Reference - DT BP 30s- 10s - citation 5.1
Speakers and Sub : Kef Model reference 1 - DT CLR 2000 - DT UIW BP/A in ceiling rears - DT BPX Rears - JTR Captivator 118HT
post #3 of 4 Old 02-26-2020, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10053 Post(s)
Liked: 7059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Buetow View Post
Hey all,

I am running a 5.1 system in my living room (small, like ..15x15). The TV sits up in the corner of room pointing out diagonal (I will add pictures and drawings if needed). My center speaker literally sits on the TV Stand (that came with TV). Imagine a 50" hole in the wall .. TV sits in the hole, center speaker on the TV Stand.

The Center speaker is the Yamaha NS-C225, i have had for many years now (>15 years is a guess). My LF/RF speakers are SVS Ultra Bookshelfs, and the two surrounds are also SVS (not bookshelves). My Sub is also a SVS sub.

My concern is that most of the sound for HT comes through the Center channel, which I run slightly hotter to hear the dialogue.

Possible Options (feel free to add others)

1.) dump the center, buy the prime or ultra center and move it to the side of the TV where there is more room. Its not directly center (the sound) though.
2.) dump the center, and run a 4.1 setup
3.) Buy a new center that is roughly the same height and dimensions replacing the NS-C225.
4.) Leave well enough alone, and buy the wife a nice vacation
5.) Remodal that area so it can better fit a proper center channel setup with TV.

Additional Notes:
I do not run a loud setup, I live in a townhome. Wife does not like option 5. She would prefer Option 6.) Save your money and do nothing.

Any thoughts on the speaker and possible changes (if any)? If pics are needed, will have to wait till I get home and make some drawings

Thanks!
Can you take a photo of your current setup, the front three?

Having trouble visualizing it.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-27-2020, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 3318
Number 5 -- that Yamaha center needs to go ... and get a proper center channel

----------------