KEF Q750 and Q950 - Denon x1400h - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-26-2020, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
KEF Q750 and Q950 - Denon x1400h

Hi all


I currently have a Denon x1400h receiver, SVS PB1000 sub, and some 15 year old cheap Onkyo 5.1 speakers SKF4600, LG B8 TV, Nvidia Shield.



I want to buy a pair of new floor standing front speakers, and am considering the KEF Q750


Would my Denon x1400h work these speakers OK?


Mainly watch tv every night, movie in the weekend, and a bit of music in the weekend, all via streaming.



I would look at buying a new centre speaker later on


Also wonder about the Q950, but worry about the physical size and if my Denon will run them ok?


Thoughts please?
ryandre1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 02-27-2020, 03:13 AM
Member
 
iamsabit313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandre1 View Post
Hi all


I currently have a Denon x1400h receiver, SVS PB1000 sub, and some 15 year old cheap Onkyo 5.1 speakers SKF4600, LG B8 TV, Nvidia Shield.



I want to buy a pair of new floor standing front speakers, and am considering the KEF Q750


Would my Denon x1400h work these speakers OK?


Mainly watch tv every night, movie in the weekend, and a bit of music in the weekend, all via streaming.



I would look at buying a new centre speaker later on


Also wonder about the Q950, but worry about the physical size and if my Denon will run them ok?


Thoughts please?

Q950 is a bit more efficient than Q750, so will require less power to reach same spl. I personally prefer the sound of R3 among all of these LS50 variants.

Screen: Elite Aeon, 138-inch 2.35:1, Subwoofer: Rythmik FV18 ALC
Speakers: Klipsch Forte III LCR, Surrounds: Klipsch RP 502s
AVR: Yamaha RX-A3080, Projector: Sony 695ES
Media: nVidia Shield Pro running custom Kodi api with 72tb Media Storage

iamsabit313 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 02-27-2020, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsabit313 View Post
Q950 is a bit more efficient than Q750, so will require less power to reach same spl. I personally prefer the sound of R3 among all of these LS50 variants.

Thanks, R3 is out of my budget. Plus I prefer the look of towers. I am even looking out for used Q750 at present.


I actually just measured the physical size of my existing speakers, and the q750 are actually slighter shorter and the q950 and slightly taller, so size isnt an issue like I thought it would be.


I have come across a used set of q750 for $1000 (in my country), new they are $2000. I have also seen a special deal on new Q950 for $1900 (usually $2400)


I guess my main reason to upgrade at the moment is just to get some better sound when listening to music occasionally. If I try and buy used I can then buy a centre speaker in the nearer future.
ryandre1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 02-27-2020, 12:17 PM
Member
 
iamsabit313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandre1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsabit313 View Post
Q950 is a bit more efficient than Q750, so will require less power to reach same spl. I personally prefer the sound of R3 among all of these LS50 variants.

Thanks, R3 is out of my budget. Plus I prefer the look of towers. I am even looking out for used Q750 at present.


I actually just measured the physical size of my existing speakers, and the q750 are actually slighter shorter and the q950 and slightly taller, so size isnt an issue like I thought it would be.


I have come across a used set of q750 for $1000 (in my country), new they are $2000. I have also seen a special deal on new Q950 for $1900 (usually $2400)


I guess my main reason to upgrade at the moment is just to get some better sound when listening to music occasionally. If I try and buy used I can then buy a centre speaker in the nearer future.
Sorry, didn’t know you are not in North America. Both are solid choices. Actually all of these Ls50 variants a la uniq drivers have similar sound signature, the higher you go in price range the more “audiophile” ish they sound in Kef lineup. I actually had a pair of R3 and LS50 for a very short period of time and loved both for 2 channel music. Heard both the Q750 and Q900 in a demo room and they sounded inferior to R3/LS50. But the core sound signature is quite similar. If you don’t have a very large room with multiple openings Q750 should be adequate. But very good speakers nevertheless, much better than ELAC Unifi/debut or SVS ultras.

Screen: Elite Aeon, 138-inch 2.35:1, Subwoofer: Rythmik FV18 ALC
Speakers: Klipsch Forte III LCR, Surrounds: Klipsch RP 502s
AVR: Yamaha RX-A3080, Projector: Sony 695ES
Media: nVidia Shield Pro running custom Kodi api with 72tb Media Storage

iamsabit313 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 02-27-2020, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsabit313 View Post
Sorry, didn’t know you are not in North America. Both are solid choices. Actually all of these Ls50 variants a la uniq drivers have similar sound signature, the higher you go in price range the more “audiophile” ish they sound in Kef lineup. I actually had a pair of R3 and LS50 for a very short period of time and loved both for 2 channel music. Heard both the Q750 and Q900 in a demo room and they sounded inferior to R3/LS50. But the core sound signature is quite similar. If you don’t have a very large room with multiple openings Q750 should be adequate. But very good speakers nevertheless, much better than ELAC Unifi/debut or SVS ultras.




Great,thanks. I realize they are entry level speakers, but they will be a big improvement to what I have.


They will be in a separate lounge with one door next to the right front speaker. Room size is 4.3metres wide (where the tv and speakers are) x 5.6metres long - the left hand room in the plan attached. French doors to outside usually closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker plan.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	2690934  
ryandre1 is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 02-27-2020, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 516
my 1400h could barely get any bass out of my Q750's, my Q100 actually had stronger/deeper bass paired with my 1400h. When i upgraded to my 4500h the difference was drastic.

both the Q750/Q950 dip into the 3-4 ohm frequently and require a receiver that can handle 3-4 ohms with ease. Even with my bas-xA300 the fans kick on within 15 minutes (most people say their fans never come on)

I recommend you eventually get a stronger receiver that has plenty of dynamic power @ 4 ohm (200-300w) preferably.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 02-27-2020, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
my 1400h could barely get any bass out of my Q750's, my Q100 actually had stronger/deeper bass paired with my 1400h. When i upgraded to my 4500h the difference was drastic.

both the Q750/Q950 dip into the 3-4 ohm frequently and require a receiver that can handle 3-4 ohms with ease. Even with my bas-xA300 the fans kick on within 15 minutes (most people say their fans never come on)

I recommend you eventually get a stronger receiver that has plenty of dynamic power @ 4 ohm (200-300w) preferably.

Thanks, unfortunately I dont think I will be upgrading receiver any time soon. I have only had this one a year or two. It was $1000 new, and I see a new 4500h is about $3000 currently here.



Are you saying its a waste of time then with the Q750? I want to upgrade the front 3 speakers only this year. Is there a better option of tower speaker to go with the x1400h?
ryandre1 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 02-27-2020, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandre1 View Post
Thanks, unfortunately I dont think I will be upgrading receiver any time soon. I have only had this one a year or two. It was $1000 new, and I see a new 4500h is about $3000 currently here.



Are you saying its a waste of time then with the Q750? I want to upgrade the front 3 speakers only this year. Is there a better option of tower speaker to go with the x1400h?

with subs you'll be good

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 02-27-2020, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
with subs you'll be good

Ok thanks, I currently have 1 x PB1000, everythings on a slow budget here haha
ryandre1 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 02-28-2020, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandre1 View Post
Ok thanks, I currently have 1 x PB1000, everythings on a slow budget here haha

when it comes time to upgrade look at manufactured refurbished receivers. I got my avr-x4500h for $750 USD ($999 CAD)


but i would work on acquiring another PB1000 first

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 02-28-2020, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So, picked up the Q750 today, have ran audessy and I notice it has crossover for the fronts at 40,and then my cheap centre and surrounds at 60. Should I just leave that as is if I don't know what I am doing?
I also turned on the dynamic eq settings when it asked me during setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200229_134025_1582937286827.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	604.2 KB
ID:	2691348  
ryandre1 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 02-29-2020, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandre1 View Post
So, picked up the Q750 today, have ran audessy and I notice it has crossover for the fronts at 40,and then my cheap centre and surrounds at 60. Should I just leave that as is if I don't know what I am doing?
I also turned on the dynamic eq settings when it asked me during setup.
Dynamic EQ On
Dynamic volume OFF
Switch your crossover to 80hz

* bring your center as close to the edge as possible, you'll get much better performance from you center this way

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 02-29-2020, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
Dynamic EQ On
Dynamic volume OFF
Switch your crossover to 80hz

* bring your center as close to the edge as possible, you'll get much better performance from you center this way
Thanks, I think that's what have done now.
ryandre1 is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have removed my center speaker completely and turned it off in the settings, for a 'phantom' center setup I was suggested somewhere until I can get a decent center (later in the year). The bonus is that it gives my receiver more room above it for cooling



I will give a trial like this for a few days to see how I like it. I dont think my current center is that bad really, so will be interesting to see if I end up using it or not.
ryandre1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off