Ceiling Surrounds with 5.1 Chane System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-26-2020, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ceiling Surrounds with 5.1 Chane System

70% HT / 30% Music in a Large Family Room / Kitchen Area.

I am looking at doing a 5.1 system. I am leaning towards adding the following:
L/R - Chane A5.5 Towers
C - Chane A2.4
Surrounds - I have to put them in ceiling due to room layout. I am not sure what ceiling speakers to put with the Chane LCR.

Subwoofer: Klipsch R-115SW -already own - Is this worth upgrading to a SVS / HSU Sub?
Receiver - Yamaha TSR-7810 Receiver -already own
Budget - Flexible

Any recommendations? Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-27-2020, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 2220
A ,lot of us will argue that the place to skimp on a budget is with the surrounds, since they do maybe 10% of the content (or less). However, I am not sure I would cut a ceiling hole and install a "compromise" speaker...and with the surround speakers, the timbre match won't really matter much. I don't have a experience with "in ceilings", so maybe others can jump in, but I wouldn't compromise too much with this speaker, being you are cutting into the house to install it!
Klipsch subwoofer replacement!? Well depends, but the day Klipsch makes a really good subwoofer will be the first, IMHO! Look at HSU, Rythmiks, SVS, PSA and Outlaw for the best budget subs around and by budget, I mean 500 dollars and up. Below that price range, new, you get too much compromise, IMHO

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
post #3 of 5 Old 02-28-2020, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Klipsch subwoofer replacement!? Well depends, but the day Klipsch makes a really good subwoofer will be the first, IMHO!
Klipsch makes two good subs, the 115-SW and their THX Ultra2 subs. Both have excellent output to 20Hz and below, and the amp issues that have plagued Klipsch subs have been rectified.

At regular price, there are certainly better options available. When discounted, they match up very well with ID brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-29-2020, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 2220
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Klipsch makes two good subs, the 115-SW and their THX Ultra2 subs. Both have excellent output to 20Hz and below, and the amp issues that have plagued Klipsch subs have been rectified.

At regular price, there are certainly better options available. When discounted, they match up very well with ID brands.
Well, I am glad to hear that. having put three Klipsch subs in the landfill in the past 10 years, I will have a hard time ever recommending them, however.
To put it another way, there are companies who earned their reputation by making great subwoofer first and foremost and Klipsch (insert Def Tech, Polk, Martin Logan, RBH, Goldenear, etc) is not one of them. Those companies do make some great speakers, however. SVS, Rtyhmiks, HSU, PSA, outlaw are all companies who got their rep from their subwoofers!
But yes, if there is some killer deal on a Klipsch sub and assuming sigpig is accurate about Klipsch fixing their amp issues, then maybe take a chance on them!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
post #5 of 5 Old 02-29-2020, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3323 Post(s)
Liked: 3123
If you are going to be using them for music, as well as HT, then you'll want to mimic the sound signature of the Chane as best you can. One option would be to get an in-ceiling speaker with an AMT tweeter-type, which has some of the same sound characteristics as the Chane. Lots of choices here, Golden Ear, Martin Logan, even Monoprice, others. Bear in mind that there will still be some differences which may or may not be obvious in listening.

If you typically listen to music in stereo (2 channels only), so the rear surrounds are going to be used only during HT, then matching is less important. Lots of folks have been happy with the performance of the RSL C34e or one of the Polk products for surround duties.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 02-29-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page