5.1.4 Atmos when couch is close to rear wall - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-27-2020, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 6
5.1.4 Atmos when couch is close to rear wall

I have a 5.1 setup and want to install 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos, however, my couch is only 0.5m from the rear wall and moving it is unfortunately not an option. So please can anyone advise the best placement for the Atmos speakers? Top front is not a problem and I can easily go with the recommended Atmos 45 degree angle in front of main viewing position. But Top Rear is difficult because my wall is only 0.5m behind the viewer. So should I just go as close to the wall as possible? It will still be behind the viewer, so will still create a sense of 3d sound, but will the wall reflections be a problem? Also, with the Top Rear speakers not being the ideal angle or distance, does this mean my top fronts should be positioned differently to accommodate the rears? Or is it still better to have one out of the two positions correct?

Here is a quick sketch of the layout: https://imgur.com/a/nRKR9pa

I know this has been asked a couple of times before, but some of the threads are a few years old now and I'd like to hear from anyone who's been in this situation and what their resulting experiences were. And of course, if anyone else has any advice it would also be most welcome..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-27-2020, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie88 View Post
I have a 5.1 setup and want to install 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos, however, my couch is only 0.5m from the rear wall and moving it is unfortunately not an option. So please can anyone advise the best placement for the Atmos speakers? Top front is not a problem and I can easily go with the recommended Atmos 45 degree angle in front of main viewing position. But Top Rear is difficult because my wall is only 0.5m behind the viewer. So should I just go as close to the wall as possible? It will still be behind the viewer, so will still create a sense of 3d sound, but will the wall reflections be a problem? Also, with the Top Rear speakers not being the ideal angle or distance, does this mean my top fronts should be positioned differently to accommodate the rears? Or is it still better to have one out of the two positions correct?

Here is a quick sketch of the layout: https://imgur.com/a/nRKR9pa

I know this has been asked a couple of times before, but some of the threads are a few years old now and I'd like to hear from anyone who's been in this situation and what their resulting experiences were. And of course, if anyone else has any advice it would also be most welcome..
I have a similar space and have placed the in-ceiling almost directly above the seats. My fronts are on wall. I’ve used Top Front and Top Rear as designations, but prefer Front Height and Top Middle. I enjoy the sound - as do the rest of the family.

Here's some pics that show placement.

JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy V-Mini - front atmos, Dual PSA v1512df Extra Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, X-Rite i1 Pro 2, Calman Home Enthusiast, HDFury Vertex2, miniDSP 2x4 HD, & HTPC w/2080 Ti.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-27-2020, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My couch is back against a big opening, but it has a header running across about 2' behind the couch. I just put my in ceiling rear atmos spekers in the ceiling a little less than 1' from the header that comes down from the ceiling.

Samsung
Onkyo & AudioSource
Emotiva, SVS & Polk Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-27-2020, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
I have a similarly challenged space and went with the rear atmos speakers setup as Side Height Speakers in my Denon x4400h (the front atmos speakers are setup as Front Heights). Here's a few posts about it:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wh...l#post59102322

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wh...l#post59108242
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page