Piano Gloss Black Scratches - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
  • 1 Post By JayNTee
  • 1 Post By Gary Mertz
  • 3 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 1 Post By Polyrythm1k
  • 3 Post By JimWilson
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 1 Post By DJ_JonnyV
  • 1 Post By bobknavs
  • 1 Post By Vikram Iyengar
  • 1 Post By bobknavs
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 1 Post By dkushner
  • 1 Post By Jonas2
  • 2 Post By Frank F
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Piano Gloss Black Scratches

The one topic I saw on this is a bit old plus it recommends a product I tried and was unsuccessful. I have a gently used PB16 ultra with the gloss black finish. It does have some very minor scratches really only visible when looking dead on it and with direct light. Wouldn’t classify it as heavy deep scratches you can feel, but seem just a little step up from the hair line scratches and there are some swirls as well.

Has anyone had success restoring these to the original finish? Should I let my OCD relax? I tried this meguiars product (https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/75...issionJunction) and didn’t have luck, in fact it seemed to make more swirls.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you could provide pictures/processes/materials used that would be beneficial as well. To be fair, I did use that Meguiars product with a standard microfiber clothe, nothing special. I’d post pictures but it’s very hard to see.
Frank F likes this.

5.1 Setup || Marantz SR-7012 & MM-7025 | Paradigm Prestige Series - 95Fs, 55C, 15Bs | SVS PB16-Ultra | Sony XBR-65A9G | Panasonic UB-9000
Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV | Furman Elite 15-PFi | Logitech Harmony Elite | Samsung Smart Things Hub | Amazon Alexa Integration
JayNTee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 597
I think sometimes trying to fix minute scratches can muck up things worse than they already are. That being said, I wonder if Meguir's PlastX would do any good?
SuperFist likes this.
Gary Mertz is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mertz View Post
I think sometimes trying to fix minute scratches can muck up things worse than they already are. That being said, I wonder if Meguir's PlastX would do any good?
I’ve seen that as well but looking at their website it says it’s for clear plastic?

5.1 Setup || Marantz SR-7012 & MM-7025 | Paradigm Prestige Series - 95Fs, 55C, 15Bs | SVS PB16-Ultra | Sony XBR-65A9G | Panasonic UB-9000
Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV | Furman Elite 15-PFi | Logitech Harmony Elite | Samsung Smart Things Hub | Amazon Alexa Integration
JayNTee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ryan Statz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Calgary, AB. Canada
Posts: 2,256
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNTee View Post
The one topic I saw on this is a bit old plus it recommends a product I tried and was unsuccessful. I have a gently used PB16 ultra with the gloss black finish. It does have some very minor scratches really only visible when looking dead on it and with direct light. Wouldn’t classify it as heavy deep scratches you can feel, but seem just a little step up from the hair line scratches and there are some swirls as well.

Has anyone had success restoring these to the original finish? Should I let my OCD relax? I tried this meguiars product (https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/75...issionJunction) and didn’t have luck, in fact it seemed to make more swirls.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you could provide pictures/processes/materials used that would be beneficial as well. To be fair, I did use that Meguiars product with a standard microfiber clothe, nothing special. I’d post pictures but it’s very hard to see.
I would leave it alone, you may muck it up worse trying to "fix" the scratches.

It's one of the many reasons why I can't personally stand high-gloss finishes on anything: it's a dust, scratch and fingerprint magnet.
D Bone, dkushner and mik2h like this.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
Ryan Statz is online now  
post #5 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 5,820
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked: 2102
I did a Web search. First hit: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-works.638510/

There are a lot of hits for fixing scratches on actual pianos, but a PB16 may not have a real lacquer finish, however pretty it looks.

I wonder about guys with girlfriends who use black nail polish, though. Isn't the Goth thing ancient history by now?
bobknavs is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 03-09-2020, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Without seeing the scratches in person, it’s hard to say.
I’ve used this on a lot of dark paint and piano gloss.

Meguiar's G7016 Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Liquid Wax, 16 Fluid Ounces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UNOYM..._njWzEb37MG2SE


Then use this periodically for maintenance.

Meguiar's G7624 Gold Class Premium Quik Detailer, 24 Fluid Ounces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FUT0AK..._VgWzEbVVW24K1

Did you have any luck with the other stuff?

You could wet sand and polish the area/s but I would only suggest that if you have experience with that, AND consult @edmullen or someone at SVS.
JayNTee likes this.
Polyrythm1k is online now  
post #7 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrythm1k View Post
Without seeing the scratches in person, it’s hard to say.
I’ve used this on a lot of dark paint and piano gloss.

Meguiar's G7016 Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Liquid Wax, 16 Fluid Ounces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UNOYM..._njWzEb37MG2SE


Then use this periodically for maintenance.

Meguiar's G7624 Gold Class Premium Quik Detailer, 24 Fluid Ounces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FUT0AK..._VgWzEbVVW24K1

Did you have any luck with the other stuff?

You could wet sand and polish the area/s but I would only suggest that if you have experience with that, AND consult @edmullen or someone at SVS.

The only other product I tried was the one I originally posted. The first product you posted seems like a good option, it doesn't mention anything about removing scratches though.

5.1 Setup || Marantz SR-7012 & MM-7025 | Paradigm Prestige Series - 95Fs, 55C, 15Bs | SVS PB16-Ultra | Sony XBR-65A9G | Panasonic UB-9000
Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV | Furman Elite 15-PFi | Logitech Harmony Elite | Samsung Smart Things Hub | Amazon Alexa Integration
JayNTee is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 08:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNTee View Post
The only other product I tried was the one I originally posted. The first product you posted seems like a good option, it doesn't mention anything about removing scratches though.


No. It won’t remove them, but will fill them in. You mentioned that you can’t catch a nail on them so I understood that as NOT needing to be wet sanded first, and then polished. The types of “polish” that are for removing scratches have abrasives in them. They range from very course to none. I wouldn’t recommend that for anyone, unless they were experiencing in polishing techniques. The two I posted are basically a pure carnuba wax, and a spray polish/quick detailer. They will fill the scratches in and should be invisible. Unless they’re too deep, or maybe the light hits just exactly right.
Polyrythm1k is online now  
post #9 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 10:30 AM
Writer & Reviewer
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 8,665
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2530 Post(s)
Liked: 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNTee View Post
I have a gently used PB16 ultra with the gloss black finish. It does have some very minor scratches really only visible when looking dead on it and with direct light. Wouldn’t classify it as heavy deep scratches you can feel, but seem just a little step up from the hair line scratches and there are some swirls as well.

Has anyone had success restoring these to the original finish? Should I let my OCD relax?
Without seeing the scratches it's difficult to answer with any conviction, but given you already admitted to OCD my guess is they probably aren't too bad. If that's the case you might want to avoid doing anything that risks making the situation worse.

I doubt there is a clearcoat on the paint, which means any correction will have no margin for error. Automotive products will likely not be the best choice as they will have been designed with a clearcoat in mind. The abrasives suspended in the solution are different for clearcoat and direct paint contact, with the former typically being more aggressive. Rarely can you hand polish swirls out, you need a machine. Leave it in one spot for just a few seconds too long - or put more pressure on it than you should - and very bad things will happen. Don't ask me how I know that.

 
If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite.

BTW, did you really need to quote the entire post?
JimWilson is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Sandpaper, primer, paint, clearcoat, buff, done.
Vikram Iyengar is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ryan Statz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Calgary, AB. Canada
Posts: 2,256
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Iyengar View Post
Sandpaper, primer, paint, clearcoat, buff, done.
If only it were that simple!

There's disassembly/removal of components, too - one wrong move could end up being a very expensive mistake just because of potentially minor surface scratch.
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
Ryan Statz is online now  
post #12 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,226
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked: 1682
I have some modern Italian furniture with a similar finish that was damaged by movers. Their insurance company sent a furniture repair person who said he could fix the problems. I took the money it would have cost to have him do the repairs and let go of my OCD. If I don't look for the problems, I don't see them, lol.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 03-11-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Rex Anderson is online now  
post #13 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DJ_JonnyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 48
[email protected], don't think it's made anymore, but there was a product called Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze a few years ago that I used to use when detailing cars. Specifically, the black shiny areas that would be around door window trims. They would always get a bunch of micro fine scratches on these areas and you really couldn't run a rotary or even orbital through there, so used Vanilla Moose Glaze and a hand polishing foam pad with great results. Gentle enough not to cause more scratching, but just the right amount of abrasive to take out those micro-fine scratches. Tried doing a quick search and not sure the stuff's made anymore. I'm somewhat retired from detailing!
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

DJ_JonnyV
DJ_JonnyV is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 03-10-2020, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 5,820
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_JonnyV View Post
[email protected], don't think it's made anymore, but there was a product called Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze a few years ago that I used to use when detailing cars. Specifically, the black shiny areas that would be around door window trims. They would always get a bunch of micro fine scratches on these areas and you really couldn't run a rotary or even orbital through there, so used Vanilla Moose Glaze and a hand polishing foam pad with great results. Gentle enough not to cause more scratching, but just the right amount of abrasive to take out those micro-fine scratches. Tried doing a quick search and not sure the stuff's made anymore. I'm somewhat retired from detailing!
Maybe you're being too pessimistic. http://www.showcardetail.com/Clearkote.html

I'm a little surprised to see that it's Vanilla Moose Glaze, rather than Vanilla Mousse Glaze.
Vikram Iyengar likes this.
bobknavs is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 03-11-2020, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
If only it were that simple!

There's disassembly/removal of components, too - one wrong move could end up being a very expensive mistake just because of potentially minor surface scratch.
Sandpaper, hex wrench, primer, paint, clearcoat, buff, done.
D Bone likes this.
Vikram Iyengar is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 03-11-2020, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Maybe you're being too pessimistic. http://www.showcardetail.com/Clearkote.html

I'm a little surprised to see that it's Vanilla Moose Glaze, rather than Vanilla Mousse Glaze.
That explains it! I put some Vanilla Moose Glaze on the cupcakes my wife baked yesterday and we both thought they tasted funny
Vikram Iyengar is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 03-11-2020, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
It's one of the many reasons why I can't personally stand high-gloss finishes on anything: it's a dust, scratch and fingerprint magnet.
Same here.

A few times I've almost gone after a good deal on speakers/subs, only to decide not to simply because I just don't want to own gloss black audio equipment again...ever...
alphaiii is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 03-11-2020, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 5,820
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Iyengar View Post
That explains it! I put some Vanilla Moose Glaze on the cupcakes my wife baked yesterday and we both thought they tasted funny
Ohmygod. Substance Abuse!
Vikram Iyengar likes this.
bobknavs is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 03-11-2020, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ryan Statz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Calgary, AB. Canada
Posts: 2,256
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Ohmygod. Substance Abuse!
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
Ryan Statz is online now  
post #20 of 22 Old 03-11-2020, 10:40 AM
Member
 
dkushner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
I would leave it alone, you may muck it up worse trying to "fix" the scratches.

It's one of the many reasons why I can't personally stand high-gloss finishes on anything: it's a dust, scratch and fingerprint magnet.
Exactly! I’ve refuse to buy ANY gear with a gloss black finish. I’m sure they’d be beautiful, in a museum, under glass.
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL Towers, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 LCR monoblocks, Denon X3500H
dkushner is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old 03-11-2020, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 6,753
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked: 2208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNTee View Post
I’ve seen that as well but looking at their website it says it’s for clear plastic?

I use this on colored polycarbonate automotive lenses, and it works very well, for that at least (fine scratch only). Sub is a different story - you could certainly try this, but do so on the bottom or backside that you won't see in a very small area just to see what it does to the finish (I'd do this on anything you try, of course...) Your scratches might be too deep for this product though, however it could help the swirls. Stick with that microfiber cloth!
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #22 of 22 Old 03-11-2020, 09:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Frank F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Northford, CT., USA
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
JL Audio recommends Meguiar’s® “NXT Tech Wax” and Meguiar’s® Microfiber Detailing cloths for gloss black Fathoms.
Vikram Iyengar and JayNTee like this.

Frank
Frank F is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off