Klipsch, SVS, etc. - rear port near wall a concern? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By rhelliott2
  • 1 Post By mboy
  • 1 Post By GIEGAR
  • 2 Post By bear123

post #1 of 7 Old 03-20-2020, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Klipsch, SVS, etc. - rear port near wall a concern?

Hello friends, looking for some advice. I want to replace my old Polk Audio Tsx 440T towers for L and R. I really like SVS Primes but the rear port concerns me as I need to keep my speakers <6 inches from the wall. Is that a valid concern? And I've also been looking at Klipsch RPs maybe instead of the SVS. Thoughts there too? Thank you in advance.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-20-2020, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8251 Post(s)
Liked: 6299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
Hello friends, looking for some advice. I want to replace my old Polk Audio Tsx 440T towers for L and R. I really like SVS Primes but the rear port concerns me as I need to keep my speakers <6 inches from the wall. Is that a valid concern? And I've also been looking at Klipsch RPs maybe instead of the SVS. Thoughts there too? Thank you in advance.
<6" with such a bass-heavy rear ported speaker like the Primes is a risky proposition, unless you plan to use an 80Hz or higher crossover and/or foam port plugs...but that would remove half of what makes them sound appealing to begin with. Same with the Klipsch RP towers, which are similarly dynamic but also bass heavy.

I'd look for a front ported or sealed cabinet speaker instead, to be on the safe side. The HTD Level 3 towers, for example.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 7 Old 03-20-2020, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Port bungs. Done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-20-2020, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I'd pass on both and try out some Chane A5.5 they come with port plugs.
mboy and Transmaniacon like this.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-21-2020, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm running my Chane 5.5s about 12'' from Port to rear wall using plugs, crossed at 85 and they sound great.
Btw, not much of a difference plugged or not according to my REW sweeps.
rhelliott2 likes this.

TCL 65 6 Series
Firec TV Cube 4k
Denonn X3500H
Chane A5.5 L/R, A2.5 C, JBL E10s surrounds
HSU VTF 3 MK 5
post #6 of 7 Old 03-25-2020, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post

No Judge, it's nothing to be concerned about. At the frequencies/wavelengths of the sound produced by the port, low bass doesn't "fire" from them, it radiates omni-directionally into the room from the acoustic source. At these wavelengths (eg. f = 40Hz; λ = 28.1ft) the orientation of the port (and even the dimensions of the speaker itself) is inconsequential. If being in close proximity to a wall is going to produce excess/boomy low bass or cancellation issues, it's going to happen regardless of the orientation of the port.

The good news is that when crossed over (at say 80Hz) to a sub 100% of the time (which I gather you'll be doing), the port is not required to produce much acoustic output anyway. You can see this in most speaker measurements conducted by Stereophile or Australian Hi-Fi, where they plot the acoustic output of the port(s) separately. For example, the combined port output is the blue trace here:

If you really like the SVS Primes, go for it. The orientation of their ports is a non-issue.
JudgeSmails likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3226 Post(s)
Liked: 4836
No, nothing to worry about at all. That's what eq is for. You simply get free output and lower distortion due to to boundary loading.
GIEGAR and JudgeSmails like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page